Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East Stand to be renamed after Sir Alan Curbishley

Comments

• Options
    You imagine they're doing the stuff on the roof now as it doesn't matter if the crane thing damages the pitch
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I know it probably can't happen due to the housing behind, but it would be great to see the stand enlarged. Still one tier but extra rows added, to make it look more vast as the terrace was.
    F**k the residents!! 
    I give you the Holmesdale Road Stand at Smellhurst......how the f**k did they get planning permission for that?
  • Options
    I know it probably can't happen due to the housing behind, but it would be great to see the stand enlarged. Still one tier but extra rows added, to make it look more vast as the terrace was.
    F**k the residents!! 
    I give you the Holmesdale Road Stand at Smellhurst......how the f**k did they get planning permission for that?
    Not a bad thing I guess. At least the residents won't have a view of that shower of shit.
  • Options
    F**k the residents!! 
      It matches the other Collection of shacks and Missen Huts . The main wooden shack, the Sainsbury's cattle stall and the Arthur Waite toilet with its low rake so everyone  has to stand up.

The whole place was better in the 70's actually and even then the Holmsdale end was a ghastly  mud slide in the wet.

Why we never shared with the 'wall in the 80's only Sunley could say.

I actually went to their highest attendance ever in 1979 when they went up to Div 1 beating Burnley 2-0.

The Valley is a much better ground and was before both grounds were modernised. 

If you weren't in the Away end at Palace this is a historic crime and if we still had the Flag system you would've more than a Borussia Dortmund home match pre Covid.

Did you do the double and wear a flat cap at the Den and sing " We are Millwall, No one like us, we don't care ?

Standards have dropped ever since oohaah was filmed undercover in Millwall's hospitality knocking back the lagers.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for your Reply @addick1956:

After looking at the evidence you have been pardoned. My dad took me down the Den as a boy before I could think for myself. TBF he also liked Charlton and went there as well.
    I just don't think that could happen these days.

I will never forget our first game as lodgers at Palace; I followed the crowd and ended up at the meat counter. 

The Curb side is a good suggestion and could gain momentum if you like, as the full name is shortened. 
  • Options
    Always be the east terrace to me. But The AC stand is just fine. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The article has gone, perhaps they've changed their mind and named it after Bob Peeters instead  ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Are the club having a few old players back who played for Curbs, for the stand opening on Saturday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lovely to see his name on the stand 👍
  • Options
    Can't wait , long overdue!
  • Options
    Can't wait , long overdue!
    Its in the picture in the link above if you want to see it
  • Options
    hopefully big Merv will be there as well - he should be 
  • Options
    I did tweet the club yesterday asking if a timetable for events will be published, no response as yet 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I did tweet the club yesterday asking if a timetable for events will be published, no response as yet 
    kEY TIMINGS
  • Options
    10 minute slot for TS to do his stuff or just a chat? probably the latter as quite hard to disguise a band set up 
  • Options
    New look mascots. Has that Robin got the chop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    New look mascots. Has that Robin got the chop?
     Now I am starting to question if TS has quite sussed the vibe of your average Addick correctly...

• Options

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:
    Without Lennie, none of what happened subsequently would have been feasible.  

That said, I agree with Lennie in the 1, 2, 3 - Curbs, Seed, Lennie 
    Disagree

Seed
    Curbs
    Lawrence

Saying that Seed did what he did was in a different era doesn't diminish just how much he did.

The FA Cup and five highest league finishes are statistically enough but ignore his starting point.
    Success
    Before JS we were a third division club who'd spent two or three seasons in tier two and just been relegated.

We'd never been near the top flight.

Seed changed all that, changed how the game saw the club and set the expectations that left fans so frustrated by the time Lennie arrived because no one until Lennie and then Curbs even came close.

Yes, Seed had new and early on ambitious owners but so did LL and AC at first
    👍
    Much as I respect Curbs, I was a bit disappointed to hear him twice say on Charlton TV that he managed Charlton to their highest league placing in the club’s history. In the Premier League, yes, but not in the club’s history. 
    Sure, football has progressed since Seed’s day, but it operated on a more even playing field in his era, and Charlton were tested against the best and ‘biggest’ clubs in the country for two decades, and easily held their own. And that was an era when football was a huge part of the national psyche, arguably bigger than it is now, despite not being on TV. 
    Yes, we’ve never had the prestige of an Arsenal or Manchester United, but for a time we were heading very much in that direction. 
    Totally get why people choose the manager that they can actually remember as the GOAT though. 
    Spot on and well said.
    Maybe if the Glikstein's had capitalised on our success and impressive post-war attendances by investing in the ground and squad, we really might have become "the Arsenal of South London" before the hierarchy of English football became set in stone from the 60's TV age onwards.
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda - can only wonder
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

With due respect to Peter Varney, not if your judgement is based on highest league placings and trophies.
    But yes, there are other factors and Curbs will always be a God to me
  • Options
    Hope they remove that ladder before tomorrow... Few might try to sneak in
  • Options
    Hope they remove that ladder before tomorrow... Few might try to sneak in out when we're 3-0 down after 30 minutes
    Corrected  ;)