Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Last two games Innis and Gilbey coming back have made us a much more solid and threatening side. 

Matthews and Purrington at full backs we look more solid also.

Undefeated in 8 as well
    Yes, we're a much taller team & no longer getting sand kicked in our face.
    Amos, Purrington, Inniss, Pearce, Gilbey, Pratley, Stockley, that's 7 tall players.
    Matthews, DJ & JFC aren't exactly small & lightweight. Maatsen was the only "small" player.

A lot harder to bully the above than Williams, Smyth, Morgan, Smith, Maatsen.

NB To the few that were saying Bogle & Smyth had left for better prospects or whatever.
    Donny have gone from top (I think) to 11th and Accrington from 5th with about 4 games in hand to 12th with none in hand.

• Options
    At some point we surely must bring back that 1964-66 kit. It’s almost iconic.
    Agreed. For the 2024-25 season?
  • Options
    ALERT

Billy_Mix's Player Marks are some true WOAT stuff, really worth a check 
  • Options
    I think the play offs will be Sunderland v Blackpool and Charlton v Portsmouth.
  • Options
    To win promotion you DO generally need a 20+ goal scorer and our four most recent promotions we have always had one in Mendonca, Hunt, BWP and Taylor.

Notably when we lost in the Play Offs in 1995/96, 2008/2009 and in 2017/2018 we did not have a proper goal scorer in the team.
  • Options
    Last two games Innis and Gilbey coming back have made us a much more solid and threatening side. 

Matthews and Purrington at full backs we look more solid also.

Undefeated in 8 as well
    Yes, we're a much taller team & no longer getting sand kicked in our face.
    Amos, Purrington, Innis, Pearce, Gilbey, Pratley, Stockley, that's 7 tall players.
    Matthews, DJ & JFC aren't exactly small & lightweight. Maatsen was the only "small" player.

A lot harder to bully the above than Williams, Smyth, Morgan, Smith, Maatsen.

NB To the few that were saying Bogle & Smyth had left for better prospects or whatever.
    Donny have gone from top (I think) to 11th and Accrington from 5th with about 4 games in hand to 12th with none in hand.

Our giant CB's name is Inniss, spelt Inniss and in case of doubt it's Inniss 
    ;) 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    We have a very workmanlike team that are grinding out results and we've gone 8 games undefeated. Whatever happens this season things seem to be improving slowly.

I don't think we're good enough to go up but at least we have a chance. 
    Why don’t you think we are good enough to go up?, we’ve just beaten the team before we played them everyone was saying we’re a shoeing for promotion. I haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen but I certainly wouldn’t say for a fact we are, or are not good enough. All I would say is that the squad we have should have been in a better position than we are, but that unfortunately was down to poor management. I’m happy we’re in the mix, let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞 
    Just my opinion and I'm happy to be proved wrong. Our performances are getting better but our football is still pretty limited and I'm not sure it will be enough. The results seem better than the performances.

I think Hull and Pboro will be the top 2 and after that it will be a bit of a lottery. Sunderland are possibly under the most pressure given expectations.

I didn’t mean to come across having a dig. I think performances are a bit better because we seem more organised and maybe the players are happier and giving more than they were,( who to blame is down to individual opinion). If we make the top six I’m pretty sure the other sides will want to avoid us. Which is a good thing. I’m happy To look completely average and keep winning if that’s what it takes, worry about good football once we hopefully scramble up!!.
  • Options
    Where is morgan?
  • Options
    The big difference between the international break under Lee Bowyer earlier in the season and the recent one under Nads is you can see that the time spent at Sparrows lane has been more fruitful and the players appear to understand their roles better with the man from Birkenhead.

Enjoyed seeing the imput from Jason Euell with the players as well.

Stockley was so good in the air yesterday that the Opposition CB's stopped contesting the headers and tried to win the second ball instead, outside the area.

I just can't see Cafc scoring many goals at the valley with the successful formation of the last 2 away wins at Donny and Wearside. If Stockley has a top CB against him, we will struggle to score other than from set pieces. 

Will Nigel Adkins trust Maatsen to play up top on the left and DJ on the right at the valley where they have the ability to go past their full backs and hopefully put in some good crosses. They can still do their defensive work and track back.

We need Conor and Chuks fit ASAP if we aren't to finish 7th.

We are a top 6 club away but a lower half team at home.

The Valley form has to improve at this business end of the season.

What top centre backs are there in this league? Apart from Inniss?
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    The big difference between the international break under Lee Bowyer earlier in the season and the recent one under Nads is you can see that the time spent at Sparrows lane has been more fruitful and the players appear to understand their roles better with the man from Birkenhead.

Stockley was so good in the air yesterday that the Opposition CB's stopped contesting the headers and tried to win the second ball instead, outside the area.

I just can't see Cafc scoring many goals at the valley with the successful formation of the last 2 away wins at Donny and Wearside. If Stockley has a top CB against him, we will struggle to score other than from set pieces. 

Will Nigel Adkins trust Maatsen to play up top on the left and DJ on the right at the valley where they have the ability to go past their full backs and hopefully put in some good crosses. They can still do their defensive work and track back.

And what right do we have to question our home form under Adkins when we haven’t played at home under him yet? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally love the blue kit, long may it continue.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only one minor quibble, can we please get rid of the blue and white away kit?

Blue and white are Millwall colours.

I know we have had some awful away kits but there must be a good choice somewhere between blue and white and purple/green etc!
    It's a nice kit. We've had blue a good number of times.

There's no need to repeat thé same mistake.

Yellow, white, grey, black and ecru gives great scope for variety. 

Would Liverpool play in blue? Would Everton play in Red?

I equally disagree with this: https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/november/millwall-launch-202021-third-kit/

• Options
    edited April 2021
    cafc_se7 said:

Ok, let's say CB's who will contest a header. We has seen lots of CB good in the air this season who are mediocre on the desk. Jason Pearce is a typical CB in League 1 who gives 100 % but can get found out. Great pro who admits he can be dirty if need be. 

If Inniss could stay fit and keep his discipline, with a sweeper type of player alongside him he would be a championship player.

So many question marks about Ryan and Chuks when it comes to fitness. Great physics for working on the door but both have to be wrapped in cotton wool which is a shame because 40 games each out of Inniss and Aneke and we are in the mix for top 2 not just top 6 in the 3rd tier.

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    Personally love the blue kit, long may it continue.
    It doesn’t matter what colour shirts we use for away matches, we still tend to sing come on you reds even if the home team are in red (yellow Day at Forest was an exception). 
  • Options
    I think our lack of a really prolific striker especially at home when teams invite us to break them down will probably be our ultimate downfall for the remainder of this season. Washington could make a difference but he’s not going to feature now is he ? 
    Not sure that the 1st half is really relevant.  Ipswich is probably the only home game we have got left where not getting beaten is their first priority.  

Crewe won't have anything to play for and Peterborough and Lincoln will need to try and win.  Who knows what will be at stake when we get to Hull.

I know the gap between 4th and 14th actually got smaller at the weekend but games are running out fast. 
  • Options
    Where is morgan?
    On holiday with the Arsenal loanee Matt Smith. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ALERT

Yes, he overmarked Maatsen  ;)
  • Options
    At the end the way he curls up like he had been shot
  • Options
    In attack we're slightly predictable at the moment, but that's down to the lack of options

Of our 4 strikers, 2 are injured and the other one can't play the lone striker role, while we don't have much cover in wide attacking areas either

Instead we have 2 central midfielders on the bench (Shinnie and Watson), and another 2 in the stands (Morgan and Smith)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As an away kit sure; not for home though-let's keep it red.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    As an away kit sure; not for home though-let's keep it red.
    I’d like to see it as a home kit. Wouldn’t work away anyway.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    This is one of my favourite clips of the season. Brilliant to see all the players reactions and comments. 
    Yep great to see how the players interact. Pratley and Innis seem like the mouths of the group.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ALERT

It's a wind up isn't it? 
  • Options
    t doesn't bother me if we have a blue shirt as an away or third kit as long as it has a Charlton badge on it.
  • Options
    Just looks wrong to me playing in blue.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only one minor quibble, can we please get rid of the blue and white away kit?

Blue and white are Millwall colours.

I know we have had some awful away kits but there must be a good choice somewhere between blue and white and purple/green etc!
    It's a nice kit. We've had blue a good number of times.

There's no need to repeat thé same mistake.

Yellow, white, grey, black and ecru gives great scope for variety. 

Would Liverpool play in blue? Would Everton play in Red?

I equally disagree with this: https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/november/millwall-launch-202021-third-kit/

Thats told  @Jimmymelrose !!