Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Next Saturday’s matches are being moved to different days avoid clashing with the funeral. 
    Different days or being played earlier/later? 
    Taken this to a new thread 
  • Options
    Adkins' Addicks Believe

• Options
    An own-goal and Alex Gilbey's first Addicks strike earns Charlton a BIG win at the Stadium Light as the race for the play-offs hots right up.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Good to see Gilbey starting to show the form he very briefly showed at the start of the season. After all he was a pretty big signing for us last summer, seeing that we chose to pay a fee for him at a time when we were under an embargo and gave him a 3 year deal. 

I'm still baffled at our financial situation last summer, but that's for another thread!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny one with Amos. Lot of people’s MoM, some great saves, yet I also thought he was at fault for their goal by coming out when he didn’t need to and ending up in no man’s land. And he did the same in the first half when a channel ball was lifted down the right channel and the Sunderland player let it run across his body first rather than just lifting it over 1st time with his right foot.

not disputing his top drawer instinctive saves, but not the first time in recent games I think he’s come out when he shouldn’t have. 
    If he hadn't come out the goal becomes a bigger target for the opposition to slot into.

Great double save, but nobody read that they should have been on the goal line.
    I disagree. Inniss hadn’t been completely done and the player wasn’t about to get a shot off. Amos coming out was totally unnecessary. 
    Agree.

From the replay it looked like Inniss would have actually got to the ball first if he hadn't slightly got out of the way to allow Amos to claim it.

It was a mistake from Amos but he made enough great saves in the rest of the game to deserve MOTM imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021

Brilliant result. Very ugly but a solid, determined and professional team performance. 

Let's not get too carried away.  We were awful for the first 15 mins and they could have been two up easily. . And some of our best chances were courtesy of their defenders.

We used to play some decent stuff but were far too porous and easy to beat. Now we play no decent stuff and are very tough to beat.  

Must be all that positive thinking.   
    Ignoring our early chances in the first 15 too?

Could have been 3-3 in the first half. I swear it hurts some people to admit we have competed with a better side for much of the 90 minutes. We were under siege at times but were more than a match for our opposition.
  • Options
    Was busy today so didn’t watch and PWR (but just starting) but did we do the compulsory negative shitting ourselves for the last 10-minutes or has Adkins removed that nonsense?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    V good performance despite a few jittery minutes and excellent result. 

Just one real shame.

Gilbey scored his first goal but we didn't get to see his Upbeats celebration.  :(

• Options
    Winning at Sunderland is a real headline result, which will make the other teams around us take notice. 

A solid win, built on a real "thou shalt not pass" defensive effort, and some quality at set plays. With Stockley, Pearce and Inniss we look as imposing as anyone in this division in the air

After Bowyer who tended to make a LOT of subs, maybe Adkins errs the other way, I was really surprised for example that Gilbey did the full 90, when we had 2 midfielders on the bench, as we looked tired out there.

Having both Chuks and Washington out injured at the same time is unfortunate too, and making Ronnie look like a luxury if the manager would rather leave a knackered Stockley out there rather than send him on.
    Though you couldn't put Rocket Ronnie on in place of a knackered Stockley - and keep to the same gameplan. 
    They are different types of player, with different attributes and abilities. Adkins would have to change things.

And he won't want to change the gameplan while it's working and we're winning.
    So Stockley stays on, Gilbey does 90 and Shinnie stays on the bench.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Pearce has never been quick but I think he lost half a yard when he came back from his injury which forced him to try and over compensate. He seems to have got that back and is doing very well for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joint best form in the last 6 games. Doncaster bottom, Lincoln second bottom!

Wow, Lincoln falling apart at the worst possible time.
    MK Dons at Lincoln on Tues.  
  • Options
    MattF said:we
    Didn’t see the game (PWW) but can I just say Ryan Innis is my spirit animal. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Winning at Sunderland is a real headline result, which will make the other teams around us take notice. 

A solid win, built on a real "thou shalt not pass" defensive effort, and some quality at set plays. With Stockley, Pearce and Inniss we look as imposing as anyone in this division in the air

After Bowyer who tended to make a LOT of subs, maybe Adkins errs the other way, I was really surprised for example that Gilbey did the full 90, when we had 2 midfielders on the bench, as we looked tired out there.

Having both Chuks and Washington out injured at the same time is unfortunate too, and making Ronnie look like a luxury if the manager would rather leave a knackered Stockley out there rather than send him on.
    Though you couldn't put Rocket Ronnie on in place of a knackered Stockley - and keep to the same gameplan. 
    They are different types of player, with different attributes and abilities. Adkins would have to change things.

And he won't want to change the gameplan while it's working and we're winning.
    So Stockley stays on, Gilbey does 90 and Shinnie stays on the bench.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Great Performance and deserved the Win.
    after some average  performances by Amos recently it was a pleasure to see him on good form.
    we have it all in our hands now INNIS is back 👍👍🏆🏆
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Excellent result.  How much do you think our recent form is due to Adkins' positivity and how much is due to any tactical changes?
    Both are key 
    What tactical changes in your opinion? I’m sure the positivity  is a bit of a factor, but I think the return from injury of Inniss leading to a proper centre half combination again with Purrington at left back is the main impact. The main tactical change he’s installed is this Maatsen / DJ play, and I’m not convinced by it personally. 
    Surprised with that view mate as DJ/Maatsen have scored the goals and assists in games for our unbeaten run.

Surely that is proof that it has been successful for this current period of time, in terms of results? 

Atkins has had to deal with Washington being out and Aneke obviously struggling for a few weeks. He's ditched the error prone full backs to our 2nd choice FBs all season too. We've not seen Watson or Shinnie for some time. These decisions are fed by our tactical template.