Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I still have little expectation of getting promoted this season. But if we can just make top 6 it will attract many good players to consider playing for us next season that we won't get if we are outside that group. An owner with a year under their belts, a club with financial stability (rare for the EFL nowadays), positive manager, London location.... I think this could be a very good off-season for us, even if we don't move up. I would consider a fair "stretch goal" next season to be automatic promotion. This division appears worse than it was the last time we were down here.
  • Options
    Are those that refused to believe starting to believe yet?
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
    I think its the prospect of facing Sunderland in the final again that scares me the most

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them there, we surely cant do it again

Although with our away form being better than how we play at the Valley, anything is possible
    Not counting any chickens but are the "semi final" play offs over two legs as usual or has Covid reduced them to a one off game ?
  • Options
    "first back-to-back wins since November"

And we are 2 points off 4th. How?!!
    Good start, and so far good end season in a league where anyone can beat anyone.

Might not be looking as good if we cant get a result against Ipswich next week. 
  • Options
    To have an outside chance of the playoffs is amazing and irrespective of the other teams it's in our own hands. Would love to avoid Sunderland if the miracle happens so finishing 4/5th would do.

Adkins has certainly added some positivity after LB's dour post match chats.

Like a few others I was very underwhelmed about the appt. and was just glad to have a good owner and see the season out so we could concentrate on next season but to now have a chance to get out of this fecking awful division would be great. 

• Options
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
    I think its the prospect of facing Sunderland in the final again that scares me the most

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them there, we surely cant do it again

Although with our away form being better than how we play at the Valley, anything is possible
    Not counting any chickens but are the "semi final" play offs over two legs as usual or has Covid reduced them to a one off game ?
    They should still be over two legs, they were in the summer during Project Restart for League One and League Two
  • Options

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them, we surely cant do it again

Doesn't seem to affect Charlton scumwall games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic result well done lads. You can do see an air of confidence about them which hasnt been there all season.onwards and upwards I would be really surprised if we dont make the playoffs now. Other teams dropping points and I dont think we will drop many now
  • Options
    Joint best form in the last 6 games. Doncaster bottom, Lincoln second bottom!

Wow, Lincoln falling apart at the worst possible time.
  • Options
    What time are we thinking for kick off next Saturday now, 5pm?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Next Saturday’s matches are being moved to different days avoid clashing with the funeral. 
  • Options
    “We knew they [Charlton] would set their stall out to be compact and press off of that. They’ve got physical experience and set-plays were always going to be difficult with the personnel we had out today. They probably had six or seven inches extra on us in and around the box...

That's gotta be Innis... Oooh er matron n all that!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Next Saturday’s matches are being moved to different days avoid clashing with the funeral. 
    We can't play Sunday unless they move the Plymouth game back as well.
    I guess it could be moved forward and play on Friday night, but why not just delay the saturday kick offs. With no fans does it matter if we play later on Saturday?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Different days or being played earlier/later? 
  • Options
    We are on the march with Adkins army
    We are all going to Wembley!!! 

But Mr 43v3r the players are all shit?

No they aren't, this is a better team than 2018 and a better SQUAD than 2019.  We can all look back and find at least 10 points and blame it on individual mistakes, poor tactics, wrong selections etc etc this SQUAD should be going for automatic promotion and play offs at worst. 

IF we get in the play offs we will win them, IF we finish above Ipswich we will be in the play offs. 

E I e I e I o 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well worth getting out the custard for that result!!!, Gilbey, Pearce, purrington did very well. But to single anyone out is harsh on the others as we are suddenly putting in team performances and surprise surprise getting results. I was giving Pearce pelters earlier this season but his last few games he has got back to basic defending and deserves some credit. Still hoping the arrival of Adkins is just in time. Effective winning football, what’s not too like!!.😜
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Brilliant result. Very ugly but a solid, determined and professional team performance. 

Let's not get too carried away.  We were awful for the first 15 mins and they could have been two up easily. . And some of our best chances were courtesy of their defenders.

We used to play some decent stuff but were far too porous and easy to beat. Now we play no decent stuff and are very tough to beat.  

Must be all that positive thinking.  

Awful? We must have watched a different game. 
    Ffs grumpy, living up to the name there fella!!, go get yourself some custard and see if it brings a smile to your face!!😂😂
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Different days according to Sky. Friday pm would be a decent bet?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny one with Amos. Lot of people’s MoM, some great saves, yet I also thought he was at fault for their goal by coming out when he didn’t need to and ending up in no man’s land. And he did the same in the first half when a channel ball was lifted down the right channel and the Sunderland player let it run across his body first rather than just lifting it over 1st time with his right foot.

not disputing his top drawer instinctive saves, but not the first time in recent games I think he’s come out when he shouldn’t have. 
    If he hadn't come out the goal becomes a bigger target for the opposition to slot into.

Great double save, but nobody read that they should have been on the goal line.

Agree.
    If a keeper comes out and does a double save, a defender goes to the goal line. Pearce stopped in no man's land.
    Ben Amos' save after Pratley's error was vital from Charlie Wyke who had been scoring for fun.

Nads is a top man manager and despite still being totally unsure why Maatsen can't play on the left and DJ on the right so they have the opportunity to get pass their full backs, we are getting the breaks now. 

Gilbey had an excellent game and 3 times got into goal scoring positions. Good athlete on the ball.

I was convinced we would lose today, but having a strong spine saw us home.

Desperately need Aneke and Washington fit to give us more goal power in the last 7 games but excellent win in the north east to keep up the momentum
  • Options
    Absolutely chuffed with that! 

Fabulous performance from Amos.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    No, sod 'me. RF / Government didnt want to hold it on a weekday so people could take a day off so should stick to Saturday  - maybe 5pm or even 7pm but PLEASE dont sod about with changing the actual day of the match. There are loads of matches & only 1 funeral.