Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    I think generally there is a lot of respect between both sets of fans. They have every reason to hate us and they may have even more in May :)
    The pressure is all on Sunderland. Anything we do is a bonus.
  • Options
    I think generally there is a lot of respect between both sets of fans. They have every reason to hate us and they may have even more in May :)
    Disagree. You get to the play offs and it's a lottery, anyone can win. I agree we shouldn't have the pressure now in trying to get to the play offs because it hasn't been expected for a long time. But I can't see how the players will get to the play offs and then feel winning them is a 'bonus'. 
  • Options
    Maybe they won't see winning them as a bonus but they will probably feel less pressure to win them than Sunderland players.
  • Options
    I do think a bit mental that the way things are looking we will play either Portsmouth or Blackpool in the semifinals then probably Sunderland again at Wembley. Another them and us final 
  • Options
    Maybe they won't see winning them as a bonus but they will probably feel less pressure to win them than Sunderland players.
    Maybe not, although they should. The prize is the same for all 4 teams, I want the players to feel the pressure because I want them to be desperate to win. 
  • Options
    I hope Sunderland beat Blackpool Saturday.
  • Options
    Maybe not, although they should. The prize is the same for all 4 teams, I want the players to feel the pressure because I want them to be desperate to win. 
    Yes, but there is a balance. A point where too much pressure can detract.
  • Options
    I think one of Adkins strengths is people management and I'm sure he will keep the players level and professional enough to get the job done. I really cant see us not making the playoffs now only question for me is can we win them ? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Extraordinary shift in expectatations. We've only just won that game thanks to some goalie heroics. A lot of football still to be played. After how shit we've been this season, everything is a bonus imo.
    Absolutely. I'm still not completely convinced we're making the play offs, and I certainly don't think we'd win them if we do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Extraordinary shift in expectatations. We've only just won that game thanks to some goalie heroics. A lot of football still to be played. After how shit we've been this season, everything is a bonus imo.
    Despite being shit this season it's not difficult to look back through the season and find 6-8 points, probably more, we really should have got.  I can't think of many times we stole a point.  Fleetwood maybe?

Until the beginning of March this squad was massively under performing, you can lay the blame for that where ever you like.  Since then we have picked up over 2 points a game and still probably should of had more.  
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    Absolutely. I'm still not completely convinced we're making the play offs, and I certainly don't think we'd win them if we do.
    I felt the same, but after this win I’m not so sure. Blackpool seem to be the form team, but let’s see how they do in the two games against Sunderland. Getting through the first round would be tough, but if we make it to Wembley there’s always a chance. I think we’re one of the few teams that’s still improving, as we’re now a settled side for the first time this season. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    I felt the same, but after this win I’m not so sure. Blackpool seem to be the form team, but let’s see how they do in the two games against Sunderland. Getting through the first round would be tough, but if we make it to Wembley there’s always a chance. I think we’re one of the few teams that’s still improving, as we’re now a settled side for the first time this season. 
    It's actually this performance that makes me sceptical about our chances. Not to downplay all the positives (which there are plenty of) but if not for Amos' saves and some good luck we'd have lost or drawn just the same.

I don't see us being good/lucky enough to replicate that all the way through to play off success.
  • Options
    You could always say that, though. If it wasn't for hitting the post twice and making better final ball decisions when 2 on 1 we could've won 5-1. What matters is we went up against the form team in the division at their place and more than held our own, being completely on top from 20th minute to 75th. 
  • Options
    I agree with the performance but nothing saying we can't see this season out being set piece legends.....Innis, Pearce, Stockley, Pratley, Gilbey, Aneke (if fit or not fouling) will be quite hard to defend at free kicks and corners. 

Quite a stark difference to our team of minions earlier in the season who posed hardly any threat at set plays.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    You could always say that, though. If it wasn't for hitting the post twice and making better final ball decisions when 2 on 1 we could've won 5-1. What matters is we went up against the form team in the division at their place and more than held our own, being completely on top from 20th minute to 75th. 
    But that doesn't suit some posters desperation to be negative
  • Options
    Disagree. You get to the play offs and it's a lottery, anyone can win. I agree we shouldn't have the pressure now in trying to get to the play offs because it hasn't been expected for a long time. But I can't see how the players will get to the play offs and then feel winning them is a 'bonus'. 
    I don't think our players are under the same pressure given how low expectations have been. I'm sure our players have the desire but I feel they will have less fear.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    I think calling it desperation to be negative is a bit unfair actually. As I said in the original post, I definitely do acknowledge the positives and I've made other posts specifically about those.

My point is that I personally don't think we've got good/better enough quickly enough to be realistically looking at the play offs as an outcome. It COULD happen. But I don't think the Sunderland performance/result actually shows a team that I would be confident of succeeding. (Hopeful, yes, confident, no.)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    I think calling it desperation to be negative is a bit unfair actually. As I said in the original post, I definitely do acknowledge the positives and I've made other posts specifically about those.

My point is that I personally don't think we've got good/better enough quickly enough to be realistically looking at the play offs as an outcome. It COULD happen. But I don't think the Sunderland performance/result actually shows a team that I would be confident of succeeding. (Hopeful, yes, confident, no.)
    Whilst I don't disagree on the point as to whether we have enough to go through the play offs, I think it is this bit I really disagreed with. 

thenewbie said:
     if not for Amos' saves and some good luck we'd have lost or drawn just the same.
    We could have as easily won the game by more, just as much as we could have conceded more, the fact is on the day neither occurred. There is no luck if you don't capitalise on mistakes. 

We were the better side. I'm sure Adkins will be saying "we can only take each game as it comes and learn as we go". 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    It's actually this performance that makes me sceptical about our chances. Not to downplay all the positives (which there are plenty of) but if not for Amos' saves and some good luck we'd have lost or drawn just the same.

I don't see us being good/lucky enough to replicate that all the way through to play off success.
    Yes, but with a bit more luck we could have scored three or 4. Post hit twice, Stockley’s open goal, and even the double block against Gilbey. 
    Most matches are affected by luck to some extent, and you could say this one was no exception. On the other hand, the goalie is part of the team, and if he pulls of a great save or two it’s just part of his job. You could argue that having a good goalie’s not luck. 
    Sunderland may have put in a lot of crosses, but we earned the 2-1 I reckon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a tough contest but we won because we had a slight edge in crucial areas and certainly with management decision making.
    A slight edge over Sunderland on one occasion does not make us world beaters.
  • Options
    Again, I am not saying we didn't play well or that we shouldn't have won against Sunderland - we did deserve to win on the day performing as we did. 

But I don't think that as a team we are consistently good enough yet that we should be expecting/hoping to get anything from the play offs. 

I'm a fan of Adkins, I like him as a person and a manager and I am excited to see what he can do with some backing. But I think that talk of the play offs is still extremely premature.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Again, I am not saying we didn't play well or that we shouldn't have won against Sunderland - we did deserve to win on the day performing as we did. 

But I don't think that as a team we are consistently good enough yet that we should be expecting/hoping to get anything from the play offs. 

I'm a fan of Adkins, I like him as a person and a manager and I am excited to see what he can do with some backing. But I think that talk of the play offs is still extremely premature.
    Talk of getting to the play offs is not. It's an outside chance, but a better one than before Saturday. 

Winning them is a lottery, but it's funny how the sides with more chemistry tend to win it. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:

Talk of getting to the play offs is not. It's an outside chance, but a better one than before Saturday. 

Winning them is a lottery, but it's funny how the sides with more chemistry tend to win it. 
    Aren't any team that wins something looked back on as having more chemistry, togetherness etc etc than teams that lose?

We have won 2 and lost 1 play off penalty shoot out and the players and teams are remembered very differently as a result. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    I do think we have every chance of making the playoffs. It's in our own hands.

Right now, I'm not thinking any further ahead than our next game. 
    That result (and those on that day, and tonight, of course) is all that matters.

Win the playoffs? Why not?
    But it's too far ahead and a distraction.

One game at a time. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:

Aren't any team that wins something looked back on as having more chemistry, togetherness etc etc than teams that lose?

We have won 2 and lost 1 play off penalty shoot out and the players and teams are remembered very differently as a result. 
    Exactly, while I can see the argument and understand to a degree it seems prone to very circular logic:

The team that won was the one with more chemistry. How do we know they had more chemistry? Because they won.

That's not to downplay the huge improvement in morale and general team spirit that Adkins has overseen but frankly in football (especially in something like the play offs) then luck is as big a part of it as anything else. An absolute top drawer rocket goal or save or even an absolute dropped bollock of a mistake can be as decisive as any "chemistry."
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    I believe some people only see the worst case scenario and refuse to raise expectations.
    It's only human nature, I suppose.

Others seem to believe that where we are today is where we'll be at the finish - and that nothing else is likely to change.
    If it's raining now, it'll never stop and the sun will never come out.

Personally, I prefer to see the possibilities, and recognise what we're capable of, even though there's always the chance we may not quite achieve it. But you never know.
    Remember, it's not only our team that may cock up ..... you can bet that others will too. Guaranteed! :smile:

And on that basis: all to play for!

• Options
    How tight were them shorts on that play-off with Leeds. They looked tighter than Kylie Minogue's gold hotpants. What a night. Lennie said that he thought that that was the right format for a play-off, one from each division. Winner takes all. 
    Yes it was the right format in the end, but we beat Ipswich who finished 5th in the 2nd division in a "semi final". while Oldham who finished third were beaten by dirty Leeds who finished 4th. Should have been a straight play off between us & Oldham in my eyes
  • Options
    We have an outside chance of promotion.

Either League 1 or the championship I reckon next season is gonna be great.