Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Winning at Sunderland is a real headline result, which will make the other teams around us take notice. 

A solid win, built on a real "thou shalt not pass" defensive effort, and some quality at set plays. With Stockley, Pearce and Inniss we look as imposing as anyone in this division in the air

After Bowyer who tended to make a LOT of subs, maybe Adkins errs the other way, I was really surprised for example that Gilbey did the full 90, when we had 2 midfielders on the bench, as we looked tired out there.

Having both Chuks and Washington out injured at the same time is unfortunate too, and making Ronnie look like a luxury if the manager would rather leave a knackered Stockley out there rather than send him on.
    Though you couldn't put Rocket Ronnie on in place of a knackered Stockley - and keep to the same gameplan. 
    They are different types of player, with different attributes and abilities. Adkins would have to change things.

And he won't want to change the gameplan while it's working and we're winning.
    So Stockley stays on, Gilbey does 90 and Shinnie stays on the bench.

So when do we bring him on?

Stockley was knackered in the last 15, so wasn't winning the headers he was earlier on in the game anyway. Ronnie obviously wouldn't be an effective target man, but surely a good option to try and catch Sunderland on the break. Knowing that we had Ronnie and Millar up top, would then make Sunderland push fewer players up the field, as they would face 2 fresh players on the break.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    People will get a chance with a busy end to the season, but they know what is expected of them. More importantly, we have some quality reserves. Whilst our best eleven may be a little short of our 2019 team, we do have a much stronger squad. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny one with Amos. Lot of people’s MoM, some great saves, yet I also thought he was at fault for their goal by coming out when he didn’t need to and ending up in no man’s land. And he did the same in the first half when a channel ball was lifted down the right channel and the Sunderland player let it run across his body first rather than just lifting it over 1st time with his right foot.

not disputing his top drawer instinctive saves, but not the first time in recent games I think he’s come out when he shouldn’t have. 
    If he hadn't come out the goal becomes a bigger target for the opposition to slot into.

Great double save, but nobody read that they should have been on the goal line.

Agree.
    If a keeper comes out and does a double save, a defender goes to the goal line. Pearce stopped in no man's land.
    Ben Amos' save after Pratley's error was vital from Charlie Wyke who had been scoring for fun.

Nads is a top man manager and despite still being totally unsure why Maatsen can't play on the left and DJ on the right so they have the opportunity to get pass their full backs, we are getting the breaks now. 

Gilbey had an excellent game and 3 times got into goal scoring positions. Good athlete on the ball.

I was convinced we would lose today, but having a strong spine saw us home.

Desperately need Aneke and Washington fit to give us more goal power in the last 7 games but excellent win in the north east to keep up the momentum
    Don't know why Amos had to go rushing out there when Innis (I think) was running with/challenging the Sunderland player
  • Options
    And perhaps there's an element of psychology at play, Adkins giving a vote of confidence to the players by implying they don't need to change or react, they need to keep doing what they are doing and let the other team be the one to react to them.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny one with Amos. Lot of people’s MoM, some great saves, yet I also thought he was at fault for their goal by coming out when he didn’t need to and ending up in no man’s land. And he did the same in the first half when a channel ball was lifted down the right channel and the Sunderland player let it run across his body first rather than just lifting it over 1st time with his right foot.

not disputing his top drawer instinctive saves, but not the first time in recent games I think he’s come out when he shouldn’t have. 
    If he hadn't come out the goal becomes a bigger target for the opposition to slot into.

Agree.
    If a keeper comes out and does a double save, a defender goes to the goal line. Pearce stopped in no man's land.
    Ben Amos' save after Pratley's error was vital from Charlie Wyke who had been scoring for fun.

Nads is a top man manager and despite still being totally unsure why Maatsen can't play on the left and DJ on the right so they have the opportunity to get pass their full backs, we are getting the breaks now. 

Gilbey had an excellent game and 3 times got into goal scoring positions. Good athlete on the ball.

Desperately need Aneke and Washington fit to give us more goal power in the last 7 games but excellent win in the north east to keep up the momentum
    Don't know why Amos had to go rushing out there when Innis (I think) was running with/challenging the Sunderland player
    That seems to me to be the biggest weakness in Amos' game, the way he deals with crosses is top drawer, is he can be a bit hesitant off his line. He wasn't for their goal, but it does highlight how difficult it can be for a keeper to make the call. Maybe a defender could have raced to cover the line. It might be a bit of a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anyway, he had a great game today. The save at 0-0 he made was as good as you will see and even though it would have been disallowed, incredibly, he made an even better one later in the half. 

He was in great form when we had a good run earlier in the season and having a defence that is now very solid again, probably helps him a lot.   
  • Options
    Either way, keep some of our better players and next season should be fun, in whichever league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Winning at Sunderland is a real headline result, which will make the other teams around us take notice. 

A solid win, built on a real "thou shalt not pass" defensive effort, and some quality at set plays. With Stockley, Pearce and Inniss we look as imposing as anyone in this division in the air

After Bowyer who tended to make a LOT of subs, maybe Adkins errs the other way, I was really surprised for example that Gilbey did the full 90, when we had 2 midfielders on the bench, as we looked tired out there.

Having both Chuks and Washington out injured at the same time is unfortunate too, and making Ronnie look like a luxury if the manager would rather leave a knackered Stockley out there rather than send him on.
    Though you couldn't put Rocket Ronnie on in place of a knackered Stockley - and keep to the same gameplan. 
    They are different types of player, with different attributes and abilities. Adkins would have to change things.

Stockley was knackered in the last 15, so wasn't winning the headers he was earlier on in the game anyway. Ronnie obviously wouldn't be an effective target man, but surely a good option to try and catch Sunderland on the break. Knowing that we had Ronnie and Millar up top, would then make Sunderland push fewer players up the field, as they would face 2 fresh players on the break.
    I catch what you're trying to say Killer ........ but Adkins has set the team up a certain way, with a certain gameplan. It's working perfectly and we're winning.
    If Chuks could have been brought on for Stockley, then it's a seamless like-for-like substitution. And the gameplan unaffected.

But there was no Chuks, so Stockley stayed on. Knackered or no, Sunderland would still consider him a threat, occupying defenders - and most importantly the team retains it's shape, and each player can still carry out their team role that they've spent all week preparing for.

Rocket Ronnie would have been used to augment Stockley as a 2nd striker if we were needing to chase the game - but then Adkins would have needed to change shape, formation and tactics. That can pull the midfield out of shape and defenders less protected. 

We were winning. Why would Adkins want to risk messing everything up with changes, when he evidently considered he didn't need to?

I suppose the argument against that is that you need to react to what's happening on the pitch, when your opponents bring on fresh legs and you don't

As always, the result is everything, and it's that which "decides" whether your game management was correct or not. Bring on more subs and we concede, it's a terrible decision; bring on more subs and we go on to score a 3rd, it's genius!
  • Options
    As we all commented on here a thousand times Bowyer was tinkering with the team FAR too much this season and Adkins has basically selected the same team for the last two games and barring injury I don’t see that changing.

Its up to those out of the team to fight their way back in rather than under Bowyer just sit on their arse and wait to get picked again.

Same team but I'd argue different formations.

4-3-3 last week (which went 4-5-1 when we were defending) ; what looked like a 4-1-4-1 today

But I totally agree - stopping tinkering with selections and getting a bit of consistency in selection definitely helps. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Agree.

That seems to me to be the biggest weakness in Amos' game, the way he deals with crosses is top drawer, is he can be a bit hesitant off his line. He wasn't for their goal, but it does highlight how difficult it can be for a keeper to make the call. Maybe a defender could have raced to cover the line. It might be a bit of a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anyway, he had a great game today. The save at 0-0 he made was as good as you will see and even though it would have been disallowed, incredibly, he made an even better one later in the half. 

He was in great form when we had a good run earlier in the season and having a defence that is now very solid again, probably helps him a lot.   
    Yes definitely, rightly or wrongly Amos made the decision to rush out a defender should have moved to cover the line, shocking defending really. Hey ho it all worked out in the end, 3 points is all you can hope for  :D
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Are those that refused to believe starting to believe yet?
    I am now

No, I don't belive
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

I catch what you're trying to say Killer ........ but Adkins has set the team up a certain way, with a certain gameplan. It's working perfectly and we're winning.
    If Chuks could have been brought on for Stockley, then it's a seamless like-for-like substitution. And the gameplan unaffected.

But there was no Chuks, so Stockley stayed on. Knackered or no, Sunderland would still consider him a threat, occupying defenders - and most importantly the team retains it's shape, and each player can still carry out their team role that they've spent all week preparing for.

Rocket Ronnie would have been used to augment Stockley as a 2nd striker if we were needing to chase the game - but then Adkins would have needed to change shape, formation and tactics. That can pull the midfield out of shape and defenders less protected. 

We were winning. Why would Adkins want to risk messing everything up with changes, when he evidently considered he didn't need to?

I suppose the argument against that is that you need to react to what's happening on the pitch, when your opponents bring on fresh legs and you don't

As always, the result is everything, and it's that which "decides" whether your game management was correct or not. Bring on more subs and we concede, it's a terrible decision; bring on more subs and we go on to score a 3rd, it's genius!
    Maybe that's the other side of the coin. :smile:
    It's not only about fresh legs - more so if your opponents change formation, tactics and overload one of your players.

In fact in his post-match interview, Adkins told us he had considered changing things a few minutes after the Sunderland goal, as we were under the cosh and looking a little suspect.
    But soon he felt we had weathered the storm, regained composure and looking more in control - and didn't feel he needed to make changes.

It's a funny thing, but these experienced pros usually explain their reasoning in their interviews - amongst all the flannel they tell us everything, if we pay attention.
    And they are creatures of habit, telling us much the same thing every time, even if it's wrapped up a little differently.

You could always predict Bowyer, if you listened carefully and learned his methods. So far Mr Adkins in his own way is much the same.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Next Saturday’s matches are being moved to different days avoid clashing with the funeral. 
    We can't play Sunday unless they move the Plymouth game back as well.
    I guess it could be moved forward and play on Friday night, but why not just delay the saturday kick offs. With no fans does it matter if we play later on Saturday
    Does it matter having football matches and the funeral at the same time?

You can have a minute's silence. 

If that's not acceptable enough then just kick off at midday or early evening.
  • Options
    Only one minor quibble, can we please get rid of the blue and white away kit?

Blue and white are Millwall colours.

I know we have had some awful away kits but there must be a good choice somewhere between blue and white and purple/green etc!
    The simple solution to a blue and white kit is to get rid of the blue. That's the good choice.
  • Options
    Whatever else the season brings from here on in, I just hope that Adkins keeps up his consistency of selection that he has shown so far.

At this level you must know your best XI, and try and stick with them as much as possible to build a level of cohesion and understanding around the field.

The 98/99 promotion team had around 70% ever-presents in Kiely, Powell, Rufus, Robbo, Kinsella, Jones, Hunt and Newton. As the season wore on, others could be brought in to help out (Brownie, Pringle, Salako etc), but that core of the team were always solid as a rock.

It must drive players like Morgan (for example) insane, to be in for a couple of games in different positions, then out again for a month, then back in somewhere else.

Like others on here have said, certain managers seem to complicate things too much. The more a team plays together, the better it should get - nothing too hard about that! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Coming out is not Amos' strength. In fact it's definitely his major weakness. He has always been like that. Generally he's too slow or is caught in two minds. But that's just the way he is. The rest of his game is pretty first class in my opinion. He's very solid on handling crosses and he makes some very good instinctive saves. I'm sure the players know his reluctance to come out and it must be frustrating for them but I'm sure they're used to it.
  • Options
    That really was a great win. Win the rest of our games and we'll be promoted/get in the playoffs. One game at a time. Next up Ipswich.
  • Options
    A huge result.   NOW I believe we'll make the playoffs. 

A game we wouldn't have won under Bowyer.  There, I said it!
  • Options
    As we all commented on here a thousand times Bowyer was tinkering with the team FAR too much this season and Adkins has basically selected the same team for the last two games and barring injury I don’t see that changing.

Its up to those out of the team to fight their way back in rather than under Bowyer just sit on their arse and wait to get picked again.

Same team but I'd argue different formations.

4-3-3 last week (which went 4-5-1 when we were defending) ; what looked like a 4-1-4-1 today

But I totally agree - stopping tinkering with selections and getting a bit of consistency in selection definitely helps. 
    He'll have to change things after Ipswich as then we play Saturday-tuesday each week until the end of the season. A tough ask for the same players to do that, so we'll definitely need to rotate. Famewo and Washington returning will certainly help us.

After a season in which we've had our usual abundance of injuries, it seems like things are all falling into place and we're getting everyone back fit at a good time.
  • Options
    Special mention for DJ and Gilbey both were excellent today .. Gilbey now had two excellent performances since Adkins taken over ... 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I'm not a Ben Plainington fan but I think him and Matthews are what we need at the moment. Just solid and no frills, barely getting forward, defending their posts at crosses, making us solid and hard to beat. Credit where it's due. 

I'm so interested to see what Adkins does about Stockley at the end of the season. Jaden doesn't seem like his type of player at all, but Nige won't be able to deny his effectiveness at this level and he's making the most of him at the moment. 
  • Options
    I was 100% wrong , could not see that coming at all and I definitely won’t fancy them in the play offs if we get there .
    When Charlton fans get too punchy it’s the time to sell (the contrarian in me )
    I still think we have more in the tank and Gilbey has so much more to offer , his engine is getting better but his touch to me doesn’t look as good as it could be and he got the deserved bit of luck with a bad touch for his goal .
    DJ looked very lethargic first half before picking up second half .
    We are getting brilliant results and that’s all that matters but I’m not convinced by the overall performances (the pessimism in me taking over) but I do believe we can improve overall and if we do then promotion is a real possibility but without that we won’t make it to the play offs let alone win them.
    I’m mentally preparing for an after the Lord Mayors show performance next week .
    anyway fuck all this negative shit in me let’s get the custard out .

40% play offs
    60% 7th-12th