Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Happy to eat my huge slice of humble pie after writing off our play-off hope pre-Adkins. Definitely in with a genuine chance of the top six now.
     It's not just the points we are picking up, we must also be instilling the fear factor into our rivals. It'll be squeaky bum time for a few of them when they come to face us. No more easy touch under Adkins.
     As for yesterday, some immense performances - Inniss, Amos, Pearce and Gilbey worthy of special mention. In fact, the entire team did brilliantly.
  • Options
    One disappointment with the magnificent Curbs , Lennie and Minto show was Curbs storming away from Wembley for the Full Members Cup Final (who’s unused Cup Final shirt will be coming to a museum near you ....soon) after Lennie had dropped him not being discussed .
    Surely that was worthy of some chat when the talk of Robbo’s reaction to being benched for the Play Off Final was being mentioned .
  • Options
    Only one minor quibble, can we please get rid of the blue and white away kit?

Blue and white are Millwall colours.

I know we have had some awful away kits but there must be a good choice somewhere between blue and white and purple/green etc!
    It's a nice kit. We've had blue a good number of times.

• Options
    Huge win, I felt we probably just about deserved it but a draw wouldn't have been unfair. Amos was great though as has been pointed out he was at fault for the goal. Gilbey's best game by far and finally can see what he has to offer. Defence were all great as well. 

I'm still not convinced we will make playoffs though. I totally understand the formation and tactics being played but Stockley needs support, there's no point playing him and aiming long balls if he has no one to flick them on to.

I also feel that these two games have benefited from the new manager impact in terms of sides aren't sure how to set up against us. The tactics used are completely different to the Bowyer side so we'll have to see how good they are working with this team once opponents have a bit more tape on us. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only one minor quibble, can we please get rid of the blue and white away kit?

Blue and white are Millwall colours.

I know we have had some awful away kits but there must be a good choice somewhere between blue and white and purple/green etc!
    It's a nice kit. We've had blue a good number of times.

We have but rarely with white shorts. Odd choice from Hummel that. Though if we keep winning in it I don't really care. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Fantastic effort,still not sure about bringing on defenders to shore the defense up,think this invites too much pressure.Love the way Adkins keeps to his winning team,the players playing know,that if they perform they will keep their place and not be rotated,tough for those not playing,but the same will apply when they get their chance.hold on to your hats,the funs about to start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great win .. the play off door is now wide open ..  it's all in our own hands
  • Options
    When they scored their 1st we hadn't converted to a low block, got caught up the pitch, and they scored. We then sat very deep and they didn't really trouble Amos that much, good decision. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Good performance, we look well organised and solid. Adkins doesn’t seem to complicate things and is playing to the teams strengths. Only negative is our play in the final third is frustrating, we got into so many good positions and the final ball has either been mistimed or too casual, that said happy with the display and confidence is back with the team. 
  • Options
    Funny how when you start winning games you don't seem to let in any worldies..... 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Funny how when you start winning games you don't seem to let in any worldies..... 
    ...or do the basics and close players down before they pull the trigger like in a training ground session. 

I'm enjoying watching us doing the basics right at the moment and seeing smiles/positivity both pre and post match. 

A random note but I completely forgot about Smith!
  • Options
    We have a very workmanlike team that are grinding out results and we've gone 8 games undefeated. Whatever happens this season things seem to be improving slowly.

I don't think we're good enough to go up but at least we have a chance. 
  • Options
    Amos came out off his line because he knows he’s beaten too easily from distance so decided to take that out of the equation 
  • Options
    We have a very workmanlike team that are grinding out results and we've gone 8 games undefeated. Whatever happens this season things seem to be improving slowly.

Why don’t you think we are good enough to go up?, we’ve just beaten the team before we played them everyone was saying we’re a shoeing for promotion. I haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen but I certainly wouldn’t say for a fact we are, or are not good enough. All I would say is that the squad we have should have been in a better position than we are, but that unfortunately was down to poor management. I’m happy we’re in the mix, let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could argue that Sunderland didnt have their shooting boots on, they certainly had a good few efforts from target each of went didnt trouble Amos
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Why don’t you think we are good enough to go up?, we’ve just beaten the team before we played them everyone was saying we’re a shoeing for promotion. I haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen but I certainly wouldn’t say for a fact we are, or are not good enough. All I would say is that the squad we have should have been in a better position than we are, but that unfortunately was down to poor management. I’m happy we’re in the mix, let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞 
    Just my opinion and I'm happy to be proved wrong. Our performances are getting better but our football is still pretty limited and I'm not sure it will be enough. The results seem better than the performances.

I think Hull and Pboro will be the top 2 and after that it will be a bit of a lottery. Sunderland are possibly under the most pressure given expectations.

• Options
    At some point we surely must bring back that 1964-66 kit. It’s almost iconic.
  • Options
    It's interesting how different managers change things

Under Bowyer, Purrington and Matthews were fringe players, while Gilbey was a forgotten man. Now all 3 are regulars

And remember the effort we made to sign Shinnie up as a permanent player so that we could use all the remaining loan players? Now under Atkins, Shinnie is on the bench, while Smith is not even in the 18...
  • Options
    It's interesting how different managers change things

Under Bowyer, Purrington and Matthews were fringe players, while Gilbey was a forgotten man. Now all 3 are regulars

And remember the effort we made to sign Shinnie up as a permanent player so that we could use all the remaining loan players? Now under Atkins, Shinnie is on the bench, while Smith is not even in the 18...
    Smith has been the biggest absense so far... Although its difficult given the fact that we only have Washington out now and have been in a good run of form for a while
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Adkins keen to push credit onto the players.
    Bowyer's post match after a victory is always "I told them to do x and they did it".

Not anti Bowyer, just saying.
    The detail and manner is another level for me. Am really enjoying it. Atkins is more a Curbs type. 

Even Lennie just said that "he's a breathe of fresh air"

Curbs being careful with his words ;-)
    Our manager's name is Adkins, spelt Adkins and in case of doubt it's Adkins.   :-)
  • Options
    The big difference between the international break under Lee Bowyer earlier in the season and the recent one under Nads is you can see that the time spent at Sparrows lane has been more fruitful and the players appear to understand their roles better with the man from Birkenhead.

Enjoyed seeing the imput from Jason Euell with the players as well.

Stockley was so good in the air yesterday that the Opposition CB's stopped contesting the headers and tried to win the second ball instead, outside the area.

I just can't see Cafc scoring many goals at the valley with the successful formation of the last 2 away wins at Donny and Wearside. If Stockley has a top CB against him, we will struggle to score other than from set pieces. 

Will Nigel Adkins trust Maatsen to play up top on the left and DJ on the right at the valley where they have the ability to go past their full backs and hopefully put in some good crosses. They can still do their defensive work and track back.

We need Conor and Chuks fit ASAP if we aren't to finish 7th.

We are a top 6 club away but a lower half team at home.

The Valley form has to improve at this business end of the season.

• Options
    I think our lack of a really prolific striker especially at home when teams invite us to break them down will probably be our ultimate downfall for the remainder of this season. Washington could make a difference but he’s not going to feature now is he ?