Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    Crazy we've only got two away games left, that worries me a little bit
  • Options
    Great result and a very solid overall performance, back 4 excellent today plus of course Amos.

Thought substitutes made us weaker but we had enough in us to get over the line.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Adkins keen to push credit onto the players.
    Bowyer's post match after a victory is always "I told them to do x and they did it".

Not anti Bowyer, just saying.

Yeah, but you're being very selective. 

You're right about Bowyer in some of his last few months here.
    But that wasn't the Bowyer that led Charlton to 2 playoffs in successive seasons, Wembley and promotion.

Which bowyer was that then? Is there an island of Bowyer clones?
  • Options
    Great win today. Amos, who has been poor for quite some time, did really well, commanded his box and made some great saves. Unlucky with their goal.

Shame Washington is injured, really could use his energy in games like this.

I’m still not that convinced by Gilbey and his goal was a bit flakey but well deserved for persistence. After he scored that really seemed to boost his confidence and he looked better, after  giving the ball away a few times earlier on. 

We need to utilise all those flick ons from Stockley, otherwise it’s pointless him winning those headers. 

But all in all a much improved team performance today. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:

Great win. Sunderland were 3rd and have one of the best home records in the league. If their defence was as good as their midfield and attack they’d walk this league. W

Sunderland still have the best defence in the League. Conceded less goals than any other team.

True, Oggy, but they struggled today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are those that refused to believe starting to believe yet?
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    A lot of us had half written Jason Pearce off a month or two ago, but he's been brilliant recently Probably makes a huge difference having players like Famewo, initially, and then Inniss alongside him. But guts, professionalism, determination, leadership and bloody good defensive qualities - that's what the skipper has to offer.
    Agree with that 100%. Pearce was outstanding today.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Apart from the dreadful Bowyeresque substitution, very satisfying. But seriously. DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.
    Which one was that? Gunter for Jaiyesimi who was shattered? 
  • Options
    Also for those who were moaning about the Lincoln game being called off (yes Golfie i'm looking at you), i think us having a week off to prepare for today definitely helped us.
  • Options
    Good win. Last second pen misses and the other stuff we were be comfortable in play offs now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huge effort, players running on empty. Haven't felt much attachment to this group this season but proud of them after that. 
  • Options
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
    I think its the prospect of facing Sunderland in the final again that scares me the most

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them there, we surely cant do it again

Although with our away form being better than how we play at the Valley, anything is possible
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:

Great win. Sunderland were 3rd and have one of the best home records in the league. If their defence was as good as their midfield and attack they’d walk this league. W

Sunderland still have the best defence in the League. Conceded less goals than any other team.

True, Oggy, but they struggled today.
    You're right. They couldn't cope with Stockley. 

But you can't argue with their very impressive defensive record throughout this season.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Adkins keen to push credit onto the players.
    Bowyer's post match after a victory is always "I told them to do x and they did it".

Not anti Bowyer, just saying.

Yeah, but you're being very selective. 

You're right about Bowyer in some of his last few months here.
    But that wasn't the Bowyer that led Charlton to 2 playoffs in successive seasons, Wembley and promotion.

Which bowyer was that then? Is there an island of Bowyer clones?
    WTF are you on about?

:D haha not sure really
    Nice one, mate! 

• Options
    Fantastic result keeps it going very nicely, NA appears to be a very good fit for Charlton 👍