Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    God that was brilliant. 

So happy 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Sunderland must really hate us. 
    We deffo have it over them.  Unusual for us!

Played the lads.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Davo55 said:

Great win. Sunderland were 3rd and have one of the best home records in the league. If their defence was as good as their midfield and attack they’d walk this league. W

Sunderland still have the best defence in the League. Conceded less goals than any other team.

• Options
    What a great display. Maatsen’s best contribution is defensively but other than that he’s wasted wide right. 
  • Options
    Huge win. Thought we were outstanding. Huge shoutout to likes of Purrington, Pearce, Gilbey. Squad players who have stepped up and taking their opportunity. Will give a proper post tomorrow. 

Starting to look like a Sunderland play off final again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Buzzing with that! Amos different class
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    We'll get them in the play offs. Always do.
  • Options
    The Adkins bandwagon is well and truly up and rolling! The painted lady is now joined by an Elephant banging a bass drum!  Sunderland in the playoffs...anybody. Great result , battling performance.. Amos MoM for me.
    COYRS!!
  • Options
    Stockley was absolutely unplayable! 

Brilliant result! The others will be worried! Seriously worried! 
  • Options
    What a great performance, yes there are still things we can improve on....but 3 points for each game away at Sunderland and Doncaster will make the rest of the teams stand up and take notice. A good team effort all round Amos best game for us in ages, Gilbey is showing what he can do, Stockley immense all game, as was Pearce and the man mountain that is Innis!!
    Well set up by Adkins and there seems a fight back in the side...Wembley anyone? 
  • Options
    Starting to look like a Sunderland play off final again.
    Stewart said:
    We'll get them in the play offs. Always do.
    Why are you both wishing this on me, I'm already starting to shake with nerves in preparation!!
  • Options

Excellent job done. Tough game, didn’t fancy us to win as I haven’t seen much from us this season to give me faith we can beat the best teams in this division but I think we were good value for the win by the end. 

Rode our luck a bit at times first half and they did look a threat with balls into the box, but we got through that and snatched a goal from a set piece. Maybe due to some half time tweaks, plus perhaps Sunderland tiring a bit, but as the game wore on I thought we looked increasingly comfortable. So much so by the time they did score it was against the run of play. 

MOTM was Amos, I think he’s drawn some unduly harsh criticism recently but it undeniable that his confidence has looked low in recent months. He was back to his best today - the way he commands his area and deals with crosses is invaluable against a team like Sunderland. Some great saves too. 

Defence got better as the game went on, although McGeady was causing a lot of problems for Matthews early doors. Innis with a great shift after his layoff, but Pearce was a the pick of them. Purrington was quietly effective too. 

Midfield was good. Prately is what Pratley does, but he’s good in games like this. JFC, so much energy. Gilbey tired a bit but he’s finally looking like the player we hoped who would drive us forward with the ball and link midfield and attack. Really pleased he got his goal. 

We’re still not a fluid attacking force, but Stockley is a weapon, we just need to learn how to use him better - get runners off him as he goes up for headers. DJ continues to improve. Maatsen - not a right winger, for me, but he’s not embarrassed himself there. 

A statement of intent today, but we’ve been good away from home all season - can we build on this at the Valley next week?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Huge team performance. 
    Now can Nigel work his magic on the home form?

Could be exciting this. 
  • Options
    This team continues to improve. Massive win, which we needed. All to play for now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just one word, Magnificent!!!!!!
  • Options
    Played well recently but Pearce and Inniss isn't a partnership I'd like to see long term, lack of pace leaves us vulnerable behind as seen with their 1st goal. Inniss and a quicker ones.
  • Options
    I have to confess that when Nigel Adkins was appointed I was underwhelmed somewhat but to get 7 points out of 9 ,especially that result today that was gutsy and together I am very impressed.
        I don't think Bows would have got these performances out of these players the way things were going.
       Our season is alive once again .
      Welcome back to the Charlton Roller Coaster!!!!
  • Options
    Inject this feeling into me.

Thought we were solid enough first half whilst being the second best team and then until they scored in the second thought we controlled the game.

Every player out there was immense for me today, proper effort all across the pitch.