Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    E I E I E I O
  • Options
    Winning at Sunderland is a real headline result, which will make the other teams around us take notice. 

A solid win, built on a real "thou shalt not pass" defensive effort, and some quality at set plays. With Stockley, Pearce and Inniss we look as imposing as anyone in this division in the air

After Bowyer who tended to make a LOT of subs, maybe Adkins errs the other way, I was really surprised for example that Gilbey did the full 90, when we had 2 midfielders on the bench, as we looked tired out there. Having both Chuks and Washington out injured at the same time is unfortunate too, and making Ronnie look like a luxury if the manager would rather leave a knackered Stockley out there rather than send him on.
  • Options
    We are on a run, now looking organised, more solid, threatening from set pieces and capable of a goal from all over the pitch. What’s not to like? Well done lads 👏🏻
  • Options
    Great three points keeps us in hunt for a play off place - as another Charlton mate always says ‘its the hope that kills you’
  • Options
    Good win. Last second pen misses and the other stuff we were be comfortable in play offs now 
    If we’d won all those games where we were fecking useless, we’d be top. 
  • Options
    Are those that refused to believe starting to believe yet?
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
    I think its the prospect of facing Sunderland in the final again that scares me the most

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them there, we surely cant do it again

Although with our away form being better than how we play at the Valley, anything is possible
    We have to become to them what Millwall are to us.   The more nagging doubts they have,  the less they believe, the more I like it. 

Yeah we get lucky,  yeah we don't need to turn up and yeah as sure as eggs is eggs we're gonna beat Sunderland when it matters.    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have never given up hope... I think we'll get top six now, whether we'll go up, not so sure still
    I always back the relegated sides in the play offs. Charlton in 2019 was an exception. Squad depth makes a huge difference. I expect Bournemouth to walk in and really fancy us if we get there.
    I think its the prospect of facing Sunderland in the final again that scares me the most

Each time we play them at Wembley we surely decrease our chances of beating them there, we surely cant do it again

Although with our away form being better than how we play at the Valley, anything is possible
    Past results have no bearing on the next game against the same opponents except perhaps psychologically. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    To be fair, he was right. It was a clever block from Pearce and without VAR you get away with that more often than not as eyes are on the ball.

I predicted we would win and I thought we deserved it. Their goal had a bit of luck to it. The loose ball could have fallen to any of four blue shirts and only one stripey one. What is a major change is set pieces. With Inniss in there we look pretty safe and likewise when attacking, we look pretty dangerous.

I have always believed we have very strong players for this level and am glad they are starting to show it.
  • Options
    They had only lost 5 games before today - this is a huge win. 
    The big man is back and we are 2/2. 
    MOM Is Amos - kept us in it just like he was doing in the good run earlier this season. 
    Well done Nads and Lads. 
  • Options
    No. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Excellent result.  How much do you think our recent form is due to Adkins' positivity and how much is due to any tactical changes?
    Both are key 
    What tactical changes in your opinion? I’m sure the positivity  is a bit of a factor, but I think the return from injury of Inniss leading to a proper centre half combination again with Purrington at left back is the main impact. The main tactical change he’s installed is this Maatsen / DJ play, and I’m not convinced by it personally. 
    i did have a tip off that gilbey and purrington would be back when bowyer left and adkins took over so there are 2 changes straight off - the other big change is stockley up top with maarsen and jayesemi playing off him  - i like chucks but can't deny that there is a clear system in place now and that is plauing off of stockley and battlling for the knock down - nothing pretty,  but effective  - jayesemi looking much better now and stockley just pipped amos for motm for me 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    My Sunderland pal’s reaction:

‘Well done.  👍 I must admit I am sick of the sight of CAFC and you know what we will probably end up playing you in the playoffs. Yes we had two midfielders in the initial back three. Don’t think we deserved to lose.  Amos kept you in it in the first half but your height at the back and up top helped you win. Hopefully you can do us a favour or two 👍’

Let’s hope we can help them out by beating some of their rivals. 
    This post shows what a good position we are in now with a fully fit squad. We’ve been in the position of playing midfielders in defence and conceding accordingly. Now, however we have ALL of our defensive players fit and raring to go. We’ve had weeks off when they’ve been playing Saturday/Tuesday. 

Other teams will be tired and we can outlast them. Accrington Stanley currently showing how difficult it is with an exhausted set of players.

What a brilliant win it was today 👍
  • Options
    Fantastic result.

Feel for Sunderland and hope they go up in the automatics, not least because our luck has to run out sometime if we meet them in the play offs, plus if we don't go up, that's one less 'big team' to compete with next season.

Project Adkins looking good.  COYR!
  • Options
    He comes across as a right nasty bit of work those Johnson 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Lee Johnson's thoughts on his defense might be slightly out of line with reality: "Our clean sheets through the season have come from being world class at those basics, and that's an absolute fundamental of any performance"
  • Options

Brilliant result. Very ugly but a solid, determined and professional team performance. 

Let's not get too carried away.  We were awful for the first 15 mins and they could have been two up easily. . And some of our best chances were courtesy of their defenders.

We used to play some decent stuff but were far too porous and easy to beat. Now we play no decent stuff and are very tough to beat.  

Must be all that positive thinking.