Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic| Tue 20 April

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Both JFC and Gilbey are able to press, win the ball, and more importantly not lose out goal side.  This has meant Watson's not always playing on top of our box, and you can see his quality more often than not taking the ball on the half turn.  Much better blend but against the better more physical teams Pratley should play.

I still think Albie's got a massive part to play, in that positionally he's much sharper than Millar or Jaiyesimi and he's the only one who looks to put in a cross first time which is crucial for Stockley against good teams.  Jaieysimi was very good last night but never seems to put in a first time cross.
    Morgan is not a winger. If we're going to play 433 we can't afford to have someone like him playing wide. I'm generally a fan but I do feel people are very generous towards him because he's from the academy. He shouldn't be starting in this team. In fact, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. 
    Very strange, he's our best passer of the ball, at worst he's equal to Shinnie in the passing stakes. 

I understand why he's struggling to get on the bench/on pitch at the moment. 

Shinnie is better in positioning, tackling and reading the game, so will be ahead of Morgan in the pecking order. 

I think Gilbey and JFC are in there on merit, but I still question the need for Watson or Pratley starting. Jake can do the job in front of the back four and has done it well several times this season. 

I'd suggest our best 18 for a 4-3-3 would be: 

Amos

Matthews - Inniss - Pearce - Purrington

Shinnie - F.Caskey - Gilbey

Jaiyesimi - Aneke - Millar

Subs: 
    M.Brewer, Gunter/Oshilaja, Maatsen, Famewo, Morgan, Watson, Stockley

I know I have dropped Schwartz. It was typing this out that I began to realise that on the whole I agree with Adkins selections with only the Watson/Pratley as starting players questionable, but for both Bowyer and Adkins to regularly pick them, they obviously add more than most of us really see.
    He is a decent passer and I still hope he has a decent future but he's massively inconsistent. He needs a loan for me, a regular run and build up some confidence and knowledge of the game. 

I don't mind your side but I do like having Pratley/Watson in the middle with JFC and Gilbey. The other one on the bench with Shinnie. I'd also definitely have Washington on the bench, could play out wide or up front if we went 2 up top. 
  • Options
    If we had won 6-0 with Bowyer in charge he probably would've had a go at Jonny Williams for missing a tackle. Love NA's positivity 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Both JFC and Gilbey are able to press, win the ball, and more importantly not lose out goal side.  This has meant Watson's not always playing on top of our box, and you can see his quality more often than not taking the ball on the half turn.  Much better blend but against the better more physical teams Pratley should play.

I still think Albie's got a massive part to play, in that positionally he's much sharper than Millar or Jaiyesimi and he's the only one who looks to put in a cross first time which is crucial for Stockley against good teams.  Jaieysimi was very good last night but never seems to put in a first time cross.
    Morgan is not a winger. If we're going to play 433 we can't afford to have someone like him playing wide. I'm generally a fan but I do feel people are very generous towards him because he's from the academy. He shouldn't be starting in this team. In fact, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. 
    Very strange, he's our best passer of the ball, at worst he's equal to Shinnie in the passing stakes. 

Shinnie is better in positioning, tackling and reading the game, so will be ahead of Morgan in the pecking order. 

I think Gilbey and JFC are in there on merit, but I still question the need for Watson or Pratley starting. Jake can do the job in front of the back four and has done it well several times this season. 

Amos

Subs: 

I know I have dropped Schwartz. It was typing this out that I began to realise that on the whole I agree with Adkins selections with only the Watson/Pratley as starting players questionable, but for both Bowyer and Adkins to regularly pick them, they obviously add more than most of us really see.
    He is a decent passer and I still hope he has a decent future but he's massively inconsistent. He needs a loan for me, a regular run and build up some confidence and knowledge of the game. 

I don't mind your side but I do like having Pratley/Watson in the middle with JFC and Gilbey. The other one on the bench with Shinnie. I'd also definitely have Washington on the bench, could play out wide or up front if we went 2 up top. 
    Very true I ignored the injured players, but seems most are back in contention. 

The bench is the hardest bit, who do you sacrifice for another forward option? for me it's either the Gunter/Oshilaja position or it's the Pratley/Watson alt. 

Morgan should have been allowed out on loan this season, maybe he drew no interest we know Bowyer said similar in the summer...
  • Options
    We have next to no injuries in the squad. Which can't be said for the whole season. Can we stop just forget the past now and move forwards
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

I don't really rate Watson but can't argue with his performance last night.

Agree JFC can do that role but it takes away from what he is good at. It will be Pratley or Watson in again and I'd be more than happy with that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Washington coming back and if that changes our working formation.
  • Options
    Genuinely can’t  remember the last time I watched us play and being completely relaxed in the last 20 mins knowing we were going to win. Bizarre. 
    Ha ha - my missus looked over at me with about twenty to go and said "Are you alright?" I think I had such a strange look on my face she thought I had had a stroke... I really didn't know what to do with myself, as you say AFKA, it really felt bizarre.   
    My gf came back and was in utter shock when I told her we were 5-0 up haha  :D I felt pretty smug about it too as she'd previously remarked to me earlier in the season "You're pretty shit aren't you" ...
  • Options
    OldRed51 said:
    1StevieG said:
    Sunderland please go up automatically....
    I know it might sound crazy but if we beat Peterborough it's still possible for us to do it.

They will have 3 games and could fail to get the 2 points they might need.
  • Options
    that was what one might call EMPHATIC .. all the results apart form Lincoln's win went our way, one of those 'you couldn't make it up set of results' .. all we must do is keep on winning .. If our friends in Medway can beat the Posh, then so can we. The Championship entry door is wide open   

• Options
    edited April 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

Agree JFC can do that role but it takes away from what he is good at. It will be Pratley or Watson in again and I'd be more than happy with that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Washington coming back and if that changes our working formation.
    I don't rate Watson either but agree he was better last night. Him and Pratley both look good in that limited holding role in a 3-man midfield, it doesn't ask so much of them. 

Asking them to play in a 2-man was crazy.

And asking them to play together in a 2-man... 

... ... ... ... ...
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    If we had won 6-0 with Bowyer in charge he probably would've had a go at Jonny Williams for missing a tackle. Love NA's positivity 
    I would imagine Johnnie would have thrived under Adkins. Shame things went the way they did.
    and he's the sort of Manager who would have got the best out of Maddison, an arm round his shoulder as opposed to both barrels to the press.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

I don't rate Watson either but agree he was better last night. Him and Pratley both look good in that limited holding role in a 3-man midfield, it doesn't ask so much of them. 

... ... ... ... ...
    Ironically for someone in that position, the less watson has to tackle the better!!, he gets beaten to the ball and fouls because he’s too slow. However when not tackling his distribution is pretty good and suddenly more forward looking, which I’m assuming Adkins is asking him to do. He was quietly very good last night and allowed the others to do what they do well.
  • Options
    Not good enough!
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    What does he do about Inniss for Saturday?
    Straight back in, he's our best defender. The question is does he keep Pearce in for his excellent form or does he put in Famewo for the extra mobility against a very good Peterborough attack. It's a difficult one because Pearce has been so good recently, but Famewo might be the right choice up against a clever side

I thought Pearce had Clarke-Harris in his pocket when we went there, I'd play him and Inniss together
    Same here. We know that Inniss and Famewo is the best CB partnership possible (when both are fully fit), but I think we should make the most of Pearce being on top form. 

To be honest, after the catastrophic injury record we’ve had for the last 2 seasons, it’s a wonderful conversation to be having where we have 3 quality CBs to choose from in starting line up. 
    Wouldn't be upset with any combination of 2 of the 3 CBs mentioned. Feels a far cry from starting games with Gunter and Pratley at CB! 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

I would imagine Washington will be one of the 4 options on either wing, he is after all a very good channel runner. Wide options of Millar, DJ, Washington and Maatsen looks pretty good, especially considering the quality we have in the central role; Stockley and Aneke.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This was the team in Adkin's first game I believe, against AFC:

• 13 Amos
    • 2 Gunter
    • 22 Maatsen
    • 12 Shinnie
    • 5 Famewo
    • 6 Pearce
    • 19 Morgan (Pratley)
    • 8 Forster-Caskey
    • 9 Stockley
    • 14 Washington (Jaiyesimi) 5"
    • 27 Millar (Aneke) 68
    He's made his mind up with 5 players in that lineup now being 2nd choice in their respective position.

We definitely have some interesting dilemmas ahead if players are coming back, as we are talking about players who were our MOM's before being out the team due to injury. 

Washington, Maatsen, DJ, Millar fighting out for 2 places I would say? If all remain fit, this is exciting simply as it means that we can maintain the pressing game for 90 minutes using 5 subs too. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

... ... ... ... ...
    Watson a much better passer than Pratley. Agree can't play them together. Bit like Gerard and Lampard for England although it is league one !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

... ... ... ... ...
    Watson a much better passer than Pratley. Agree can't play them together. Bit like Gerard and Lampard for England although it is league one !
    yet Pratley set up Chuks goal with a neat deft chip and then a great through ball for Chuks to miss what would have been a record breaking one on one.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

... ... ... ... ...
    Worked more often than not. (Once again we have to ignore the ridiculous defensive pairing for the wins).

Games where Pratley & Watson were both started in midfield - 5

Results: 

Wigan 1-0 
    Blackpool 1-0 
    Oxford 2-0
    Shrewsbury 1-1
    Shrewsbury 1-1

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

... ... ... ... ...
    Worked more often than not. (Once again we have to ignore the ridiculous defensive pairing for the wins).

Games where Pratley & Watson were both started in midfield - 5

Results: 

Wigan 1-0 
    Blackpool 1-0 
    Oxford 2-0
    Shrewsbury 1-1
    Shrewsbury 1-1

I knew you were coming when I posted that! I don't really buy into results as a stat or marker for individual/pairings performances. There are a million other factors on the pitch, and if we're going to use stats it should really be the individual's.
  • Options
    Early doors it felt like we were in line for a shoeing
    Amos made a good save to keep it nil - nil.

Question: how is deliberate handball on the goal line attempting to stop the ball going in not a straight red card? I know Watts was unsuccessful but he's still a cheat, when I saw the ref reaching for his pocket I thought, he's off.  No harm done, fortunately.  Would have saved Watts from the humiliation of his own goal too.

I missed how it happened but Aimson's early departure was a turning point - his replacement, Moore, and the revised shape didn't work for the pilgrims at all.
    Really pleasing how we then tore Plymouth a new one.
    The cohesion was lost with the rash of substitutions, understandably, until late on Pratley laid 2 splendid chances on a golden plate for Chuks, who squandered one - indicating perfectly how  his time with Charlton won't extend if we get promoted.

I never took to Ben Reeves and seeing him huff and puff around the park to no discernible impact put the cherry on top of a sweet sweet evening.
  • Options
    Great result and great management - purrington, matthews and gilbey's introduction and the trio up front is all since adkins arrived and its working - shinnie is a great little playmaker and chucks is dangerous but the manager's job is to get a system that results in an effective, winning team and he's done that. Funny old game though coz the first 20 we were pants, then we got our act together and had some real rub of the green and then we looked the real deal. Haven't said that much this season - looking forward to Saturday - more of the same and we might just be onto something.   
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    For those of you who like listening to angry and dejected opposition managers  ;)

I 100% agree with Lowe that Plymouth were really soft, both physically and mentally. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcsAmUeVXU&t=7s
    Something rotten in the state of Denmark  Plymouth.

I get that their manager is gutted that they lost, conceding 6 goals.
    But ...... nearly every word he uttered implied a divide between him and the players.

Sounds like you've lost the dressing room there, mate. 

It was a bit reminiscent of Paul Cook slagging off his Ipswich players, and not just because they're both scousers!
    Let's hope he gets the right reaction from their players in their game against Oxford on Saturday.

For what it's worth, I thought Argyle moved the ball around well last night.
    Ourselves though, we were so much better in both boxes.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    jonno said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Did we really only get one foul committed on us in 90+ mins? That must be very rare.
    It's because it's wrong. Argyle gave away several fouls, others went unpunished - although I thought they invariably tried to play the right way.

Here's another source

And another 

They are all syndicated from the same source, Press Association.

If any statistic to them is reported wrongly or inaccurately formatted, then too bad ....... it's published all round the world, regardless.

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Some great goals there, lovely touches by JFC for the first, Stockley for 4th and dummy for 5th, Shinnie and Pratley for 6th. 

But that own goal gets worse the more times you watch it... what was he trying to do??!! 🤣🤣
    The defender had been wrongfooted by the deflection from Millar's shot - and had tried to block it anyway he could, to stop a red shirt getting on it.

Another day, he could have cleared or deflected out for a corner, or his keeper smothered it ....... the luck of a desperate defender.