Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic| Tue 20 April

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Question: how is deliberate handball on the goal line attempting to stop the ball going in not a straight red card? I know Watts was unsuccessful but he's still a cheat, when I saw the ref reaching for his pocket I thought, he's off.  No harm done, fortunately.  Would have saved Watts from the humiliation of his own goal too.

fairly sure that was the correct decision. it's only a red card offence if you deny a goal or goal scoring opportunity- the ball went in so it's just a booking. had he saved it it's a sending off as well as a penalty as deliberate handball isn't covered by the triple jeopardy rule
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    WhoScored also have a solitary foul committed by Plymouth. Attributed to Ben Reeves who came on after 57 mins.

“Data sources - Opta Sports, eNetPulse & Getty Images. Copyright © 2021 WhoScored.com”
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Chunes said:
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Both JFC and Gilbey are able to press, win the ball, and more importantly not lose out goal side.  This has meant Watson's not always playing on top of our box, and you can see his quality more often than not taking the ball on the half turn.  Much better blend but against the better more physical teams Pratley should play.

I still think Albie's got a massive part to play, in that positionally he's much sharper than Millar or Jaiyesimi and he's the only one who looks to put in a cross first time which is crucial for Stockley against good teams.  Jaieysimi was very good last night but never seems to put in a first time cross.
    Morgan is not a winger. If we're going to play 433 we can't afford to have someone like him playing wide. I'm generally a fan but I do feel people are very generous towards him because he's from the academy. He shouldn't be starting in this team. In fact, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. 
    Very strange, he's our best passer of the ball, at worst he's equal to Shinnie in the passing stakes. 

I understand why he's struggling to get on the bench/on pitch at the moment. 

Shinnie is better in positioning, tackling and reading the game, so will be ahead of Morgan in the pecking order. 

I think Gilbey and JFC are in there on merit, but I still question the need for Watson or Pratley starting. Jake can do the job in front of the back four and has done it well several times this season. 

I'd suggest our best 18 for a 4-3-3 would be: 

Amos

Matthews - Inniss - Pearce - Purrington

Shinnie - F.Caskey - Gilbey

Jaiyesimi - Aneke - Millar

Subs: 
    M.Brewer, Gunter/Oshilaja, Maatsen, Famewo, Morgan, Watson, Stockley

I know I have dropped Schwartz. It was typing this out that I began to realise that on the whole I agree with Adkins selections with only the Watson/Pratley as starting players questionable, but for both Bowyer and Adkins to regularly pick them, they obviously add more than most of us really see.
     I don't really rate Watson but can't argue with his performance last night.

Agree JFC can do that role but it takes away from what he is good at. It will be Pratley or Watson in again and I'd be more than happy with that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Washington coming back and if that changes our working formation.
    I don't rate Watson either but agree he was better last night. Him and Pratley both look good in that limited holding role in a 3-man midfield, it doesn't ask so much of them. 

Asking them to play in a 2-man was crazy.

And asking them to play together in a 2-man... 

... ... ... ... ...
    Watson a much better passer than Pratley. Agree can't play them together. Bit like Gerard and Lampard for England although it is league one !
    yet Pratley set up Chuks goal with a neat deft chip and then a great through ball for Chuks to miss what would have been a record breaking one on one.
    Yes, Pratley is sometimes underrated here, as just a battler

You don't play 5 season in L1 and the Championship for Swansea under the likes of Martinez, Sousa and Rodgers unless you can play a bit as well
  • Options
    WhoScored also have a solitary foul committed by Plymouth. Attributed to Ben Reeves who came on after 57 mins.

“Data sources - Opta Sports, eNetPulse & Getty Images. Copyright © 2021 WhoScored.com”
    According to text commentary at Sky Sports, the foul was committed in the 61st minute by Ben Reeves. If anyone has access to the full 90 replay, let us know if you find other fouls in there. :-)
  • Options
    Where's  XG when you want it.......
  • Options
    I don’t like this guy’s xG model but here you go...

• Options
    Looking back, one thing that really helped things work in our favour ...... was Argyle changing their 3-5-2 formation with their early substitution, taking a man out of midfield and dropping in an extra defender to make a back 4.

They'd been tearing us to shreds in the first 15 mins and never looked likely to do that again after their tactical change.

• Options

It's a little bit low but probably fair. I don't believe that model will be taking into account players around the attempt. Efforts like the ones for Gilbey and Millars goals there's usually a few defenders in the area so the xG reflects that.

I'm a bit surprised the xG for JFC's goal is so low though.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

It's a little bit low but probably fair. I don't believe that model will be taking into account players around the attempt. Efforts like the ones for Gilbey and Millars goals there's usually a few defenders in the area so the xG reflects that.

I'm a bit surprised the xG for JFC's goal is so low though.
    Given that the guy has said on twitter that he bases his shot values off of text commentary, it makes me hesitant to trust them much. But I suppose where some shots will be overvalued, others will be undervalued and probably ends up in about the right range over time.

I wish the guy who was posting the shot maps earlier on in the season hadn't stopped putting them out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I only remember one Plymouth Argyle foul, it was on JFC.
    By that time JFC had committed three or four fouls himself and I thought he was risking a card for persistent misconduct.
  • Options
    I thought the ref let a lot of their minor fouls go. Even though we were walloping them, it was a bit annoying. He probably was feeling sorry for them.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Bloody love Minto being the host for Valley Pass!!
    he is perfect for the role
    Just over uses the “How important...?” question. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Not sure who would be man of the match for me, I thought the three midfielders were excellent though
    JFC

Player of the season.
    So far, without a doubt. Someone will have to do something amazing to usurp him. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much is how impressive our pressing was. Adkins talked about pressing high and you can see it’s something they’ve worked on. I’d expect it to get even better as next season progresses with a full summer to bring in the right type of players and pre-season to work on it.

I also liked Watson in that role at the base of the midfield, there’s a clear improvement in our passing and the way we maintain possession compared to when Pratley plays there. He looks a better player with more pace and energy around him - some of Bowyer’s line ups didn’t always have that, while the constant formation changes and rotation meant players roles were never the same. You can’t develop your style of play if you keep making so many changes, especially at this level.

A good press is a potent weapon at this level. We were great at it in 18/19 as well. Players at this level, particularly defenders, just generally don't have the technique and speed of foot/thought to be able to play around the press and if you press well you will force mistakes, and win the ball high up the pitch. Even Premier League players are vulnerable to it, so at this level the effect is multiplied. We've come unstuck ourselves plenty of times this season. If teams decide to go long against us to avoid the press, they aren't getting much change out of Innis, Famewo and Pearce in the air.

Plymouth were poor though. Neat and tidy at times, but they looked like a team with nothing to play for. We took advantage, we haven't always been able to do this season, but it certainly helped us to look good.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much is how impressive our pressing was. Adkins talked about pressing high and you can see it’s something they’ve worked on. I’d expect it to get even better as next season progresses with a full summer to bring in the right type of players and pre-season to work on it.

I also liked Watson in that role at the base of the midfield, there’s a clear improvement in our passing and the way we maintain possession compared to when Pratley plays there. He looks a better player with more pace and energy around him - some of Bowyer’s line ups didn’t always have that, while the constant formation changes and rotation meant players roles were never the same. You can’t develop your style of play if you keep making so many changes, especially at this level.

A good press is a potent weapon at this level. We were great at it in 18/19 as well. Players at this level, particularly defenders, just generally don't have the technique and speed of foot/thought to be able to play around the press and if you press well you will force mistakes, and win the ball high up the pitch. Even Premier League players are vulnerable to it, so at this level the effect is multiplied. We've come unstuck ourselves plenty of times this season. If teams decide to go long against us to avoid the press, they aren't getting much change out of Innis, Famewo and Pearce in the air.

Plymouth were poor though. Neat and tidy at times, but they looked like a team with nothing to play for. We took advantage, we haven't always been able to do this season, but it certainly helped us to look good.
    Good practice for Saturday. Peterborough play a back three and a high press is a great way of combating that formation.
  • Options
    Did it really feel like a 0-6 match or more like a 0-2 match where we just got lucky?
  • Options
    Genuinely can’t  remember the last time I watched us play and being completely relaxed in the last 20 mins knowing we were going to win. Bizarre. 
    Ha ha - my missus looked over at me with about twenty to go and said "Are you alright?" I think I had such a strange look on my face she thought I had had a stroke... I really didn't know what to do with myself, as you say AFKA, it really felt bizarre.   
    My gf came back and was in utter shock when I told her we were 5-0 up haha  :D I felt pretty smug about it too as she'd previously remarked to me earlier in the season "You're pretty shit aren't you" ...
    The fact that earlier on in the season when that comment was made ,was after you’d spent 15 mins balls deep hammering away at her,  would add more context to why she said it ;-)
  • Options
    How things change,Barnsley stayed up last year with the last kick of the season,they are now one win from the play offs,and could be a premier team next season.
  • Options
    How things change,Barnsley stayed up last year with the last kick of the season,they are now one win from the play offs,and could be a premier team next season.
    To stay up you have to find promotion form at the end of the season. Build on that the next season and you’re in with a chance of going up. Don’t build on that and you struggle again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barnsley fans.  Glory hunters.
  • Options
    On the fouls thing. I think the person who originally mentioned it was suggesting that they did commit more than one foul, they just were not given. I mean c'mon, how can you only have a single infringement in 90 minutes? There was certainly one I remember where Stockley was clearly the victim, and the ref gave it the other way. 

If you are the Pilgrims manager and you are taking that stat as gospel, you are not happy with your players efforts, are you? Bow would have had them in for an extra four hours graft Wednesday morning for that...    :D
  • Options
    A spectacular display in popping to the kitchen and missing goals from the AFKA household tonight. Two goals in the same visit just after half time probably the highlight.

Great win, some excellent team goals there 
    A similar story here, missing goals 1 and 3 whilst getting alcohol from the fridge and just catching number 4 cross the line (missing the build-up) because I was too busy typing my post on the match thread! A great night though, good to (almost) see a hatful from Charlton with a clean sheet.
  • Options
    Would love to see them do it actually
  • Options
    Are we really that good? Or is the search for the worst team in this league is a never ending one...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Unlike the analysts who get to watch the game again and give all the stats to the manager on individual performances, after watching the game just once on Valley pass, Plymouth had plenty of the ball and passed the ball around fine but Charlton defended well and closed down better than we were doing and this is important, Cafc were so much quicker in transition and with Millar doing more direct runs Plymouth players just didn't track back quick enough.

This is exactly what happened to Charlton at the Valley earlier in the season when so many teams were quick in transition and Charlton players were out of position and the likes of Rochdale, Burton and Wimbledon scored goals because of this losing of shape and confusion in defending.

JFC is now fitter, Gilbey is a good athlete, and despite DJ and Millar's defensive lapses can track back.

I would love to see how much ground our players are covering now compared to under Bowyer as it feels like we are fitter, sharper and keener.

The harder we work the luckier we get. Millar has been slagged off recently, but his direct running will have a lot to do with any success we may achieve this season. DJ is also learning and we need to be patient with both him and Millar. 

When the lowest marked player is getting a 7 which was Gunter and by then we were 5 up and having a breather you know that you are having an excellent game.

JFC lost a season of his career because of the ACL injury; over the last 15 games he has been so improved and with Gilbey alongside him he has kicked on even more. 

I can see the team pattern under Nads, but the same thing applys. Cut out the shite pass backs, DJ got away with it on Tuesday. The 10 gift goals we have given away this season have cost us about a dozen points. The Peterborough game could've been two teams playing for 2nd place. 

We deal with reality and the cock ups were made and we got punished.

Beware of the Posh.
  • Options
    We played very well, but Plymouth's issue was defensively. We still win that if they defended better, but not by a silly score line. I think it does highlight that playing against open teams is a strength. We struggle a bit when opponents get bodies behind the ball, especially in the box.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    We played very well, but Plymouth's issue was defensively. We still win that if they defended better, but not by a silly score line. I think it does highlight that playing against open teams is a strength. We struggle a bit when opponents get bodies behind the ball, especially in the box.

Interesting point Muttley.
    If the Plymouth lad had palmed that ball over the bar and got sent off; hopefully we would have scored the penalty ?  Imagine we missed and they parked two green buses for the rest of the match.

0-0 against 10 men who don't come out to play.

Personally I would have sent Aneke on for the whole of 2nd half to play alongside Stockley if it was still 0-0 but luckily the limp wrist of the defender didn't stop the goal and we scored 6 of the best.

• Options
    The Plymouth player tried to make it look like a header. Had he decided just to save it, he probably would have.  I think it was the same player who scored the OG so we really ought to have included him in our player marks.