Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic| Tue 20 April

Comments

• Options
    For those of you who like listening to angry and dejected opposition managers  ;)

I 100% agree with Lowe that Plymouth were really soft, both physically and mentally. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcsAmUeVXU&t=7s
  • Options
    jonno said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Did we really only get one foul committed on us in 90+ mins? That must be very rare.
    It's because it's wrong. Argyle gave away several fouls, others went unpunished - although I thought they invariably tried to play the right way.

• Options
    I know they weren't great on Saturday but as someone who wanted Millar on the left and DJ playing on the right, Purrington playing at LB as he is a better LB than young Maatsen, and Gilbey to be given a run of games to see if we can see the guy who was a POTY at his past clubs I now feel the decent squad we thought Steve Gallen had assembled, is actually shinning through now.

Thomas Sandgaard making the appointment of Nads and with JJ and Jason Euell working hard on the coaching, it feels as if at last we are a happy team with good spirit running through the club.

Saviour tonight because being a Cafc fan isn't normally that much fun.
  • Options
    Excellent performance and you can't find fault with that.
    I can't work out how we won 0-6.
    Yes we played very well, but I think Plymouth defended like we did earlier in the season.
    They gave us so much time and space to get our shots in unchallenged.
    We took full advantage with great finishing, much like Rochdale, Swindon, Shrewsbury, Plymouth, Burton et al did to us.
    I'll reserve judgement on our prospects until after the Peterborough game.
    Well done lads, scoring goals is brilliant.
    I think you answered your own question!

We were ruthless, but Plymouth made it easy for us and showed little fight
  • Options
    Quite a night! A real team performance. Now let's sort the home form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that was fun, wasn't it? My one concern is that we may have just used up all our luck for the rest of the season withstanding the early phase when we could barely get out of our half, and the the scramble that could've made it 2-1 but instead Amos practically sits on the ball and then throws it out for Millar to go up the other end and have a shot that's doubly deflected into the net. Not that the team didn't earn it, as they absolutely worked their socks off, but on any other day I'm convinced that would've gone in and turned the game on its head.
  • Options
    For those of you who like listening to angry and dejected opposition managers  ;)

I 100% agree with Lowe that Plymouth were really soft, both physically and mentally. 

Something rotten in the state of Denmark  Plymouth.

I get that their manager is gutted that they lost, conceding 6 goals.
    But ...... nearly every word he uttered implied a divide between him and the players.

Sounds like you've lost the dressing room there, mate. 

• Options
    Wow.... what a score to wake up to... new dawn. 'Happy Valley', not 4, but six
  • Options
    10 games ago, Wigan away, there was a disaster waiting to happen at Fanackapan Towers. 

Circa 5.55pm, Mr F walked his well trodden path from the kitchen to the shed at the bottom of the garden, where Lidl's finest resides until required.....

....only to return with the horrific news that, as Old Mother Hubbard discovered, the "cupboard" was bare ! WTF ?????

So, the match was watched in sober silence with just the mutterings from a very grumpy Fanny to accompany Terry & Greg's dulcet tones. 

But, quelle surprise ! The Addicks were victorious following 4 matches without a win ! Could this be a sign ?

Since that day, on March 2nd, NO alcohol has passed my lips before or during a match viewed via VP. 

Sometimes, there is a bigger picture to consider -a girl has to do what a girl has to do for her team. 

Maybe one day ( Sunday May 30th ? ) those weeks of sacrifice will be acknowledged as the masses, in the throes of victorious jubilation cry as
    one 

" WE WANT FANNY !"

:wink:
    We thank you for your sacrifice Fanny, and hope you can hold out until the end of May :)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Something rotten in the state of Denmark  Plymouth.

I get that their manager is gutted that they lost, conceding 6 goals.
    But ...... nearly every word he uttered implied a divide between him and the players.

Sounds like you've lost the dressing room there, mate. 

It was a bit reminiscent of Paul Cook slagging off his Ipswich players, and not just because they're both scousers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed the game, but the important thing is that we control our future. We don’t need other teams to lose, we just need to win. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone still think this is a shit squad?

We are a better football team with Watson than Pratley.  Although I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Pratley start on Saturday to sit on Szmodics.

I honestly believe that JFC is the best proper midfielder in this division.  Stockley is unplayable.  Purrington is a proper full back.

Funny how the worldies have stopped flying in.  Amos was outstanding, both with his handling and his distribution.

It's not to late to catch Sunderland. 
    It’s not a shit squad by any means but also it’s a long way from being perfect. Adkins has found a way to play that utilises best the players at his disposal. Until tonight it hasn’t actually been very pretty but credit Adkins for quickly assessing the players strengths and weaknesses and finding a system that plays to the strengths. I’m looking forward to when he can get in the players he wants to play the way he wants.

Tonight, after weathering the early storm, we were immense all over the park. Watson had his best game for us, JFC is making me eat my words, Pearce is back to his best, DJ starting to show how good he is and Amos very, very solid. Adkins has given Gilby a new lease of life and everyone seems to enjoy playing for the club again. A settled side showing just what that can achieve.

I’m not going to knock Bowyer too much but I think the decision not to bring in another centre half in the January window is the one decision that could be the difference between the play offs and automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Feared the worst after the initial start. Thought it would have typical for us to not take advantage when I saw Portsmouth and Oxford were both losing but what a result in the end! 

Glad it’s starting to click for Gilbey, a great strike wth excellent technique from him today. I hadn’t really rated him all season but Adkin’s seems to have been great for AG. 

Also JFC my man of the match, just think he’s been excellent all season and was everywhere tonight. I just always get the feeling we’re in good hands when his on the ball and he pressures the opposition so well. 

In our hands and confidence must be sky high, let’s see where it takes us and on to Peterborough. COYR 
  • Options
    I heard that they are staying overnight in a hotel that Steve Brown went and checked out beforehand.

He liked it because it has clean sheets.
    You don't want to stay in a hotel where they charge extra for the clean sheets.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone still think this is a shit squad?

We are a better football team with Watson than Pratley.  Although I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Pratley start on Saturday to sit on Szmodics.

I honestly believe that JFC is the best proper midfielder in this division.  Stockley is unplayable.  Purrington is a proper full back.

Funny how the worldies have stopped flying in.  Amos was outstanding, both with his handling and his distribution.

It's not to late to catch Sunderland. 
    It’s not a shit squad by any means but also it’s a long way from being perfect. Adkins has found a way to play that utilises best the players at his disposal. Until tonight it hasn’t actually been very pretty but credit Adkins for quickly assessing the players strengths and weaknesses and finding a system that plays to the strengths. I’m looking forward to when he can get in the players he wants to play the way he wants.

Tonight, after weathering the early storm, we were immense all over the park. Watson had his best game for us, JFC is making me eat my words, Pearce is back to his best, DJ starting to show how good he is and Amos very, very solid. Adkins has given Gilby a new lease of life and everyone seems to enjoy playing for the club again. A settled side showing just what that can achieve.

I’m not going to knock Bowyer too much but I think the decision not to bring in another centre half in the January window is the one decision that could be the difference between the play offs and automatic promotion.
    It's always possible that a centre-half of the quality required wasn't available within the budget Thomas had set.
  • Options
    What does he do about Innis for Saturday?
  • Options
    After a result like that it would be difficult to change the side but Nigel is paid to make those decisions.
  • Options
    top notch last night all over the pitch

I wish 4 of our last 5 were away rather than at home....I'd be far more confident.

Still think we'll make the play offs though 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Credit to Sandgaard for paying for a hotel tonight and a proper recovery tomorrow - talking the talk and walking the walk.

Got a few players going noticeably better than a few weeks ago - Amos, Pearce, Gilbey, Jaiyesimi, dare I say Watson? 

Curbs saying he likes Millar a lot is enough for me as well. He was my MOM tonight.

Hopefully Plymouth have the usual post-thrashing backlash in their next game - away at Oxford.
    It's amazing what a defined shape and gameplan will do for even limited players...
    Didn’t Bows say we couldn’t have a settled team because of “Sat-dee, Chews-dee, Sat-dee, Chews-dee “?