Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic| Tue 20 April

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    With Stockley and Magennis up front together, imagine how many goals you'd score from crosses and set pieces!
  • Options
  • Options
    How things change,Barnsley stayed up last year with the last kick of the season,they are now one win from the play offs,and could be a premier team next season.
    Would love to see them do it actually
    So would I always had a soft spot for them since they got to the premiership years ago,always enjoyed going there,best away pies you could get.
  • Options
    Well, what took us so long ?  That's just the sort of result I've been talking about for years. 😃

Some great goals & some great attacking moves.  If I was being hyper critical (and it being me then you shouldn't be surprised) then Aneke should have buried that last minute chance & given us a club record away win. But that's just being churlish.....

Its now in our own hands. Really only need to worry about Pompey & Oxford & if we win our games in hand that could be enough to seal 6th. Would still like us to get to 75 points & whilst yesterday I was hoping for Blackpool to beat Sunderland next week I'm now hoping for the opposite result as we could conceivably catch Blackpool. 

However......I'm getting carried away. This being Charlton you know there will be a few banana skins & dodgy results before the end of the season. Still don't want to meet Sunderland in any play off games though. Life has a habit of evening things out. 

And I admit I was wrong in thinking 2 months ago that we would finish between 8th & 10th. Didnt think we had a hope in hell getting anywhere near the play offs. Humble pie all round.....🥮

If I was being hypercritical I would point out we did get a club record, just not a new record. 
  • Options
    What a night !

Around 9pm, I'd become SO excited that I had to ask Mr F to help me calm down.......

.......so he pinched me. Phew ! That did the trick.

When the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary is published, the definition of the  noun " team" will require only two words : 

Charlton Athletic.

Nigel Adkins, with his honest, straightforward manner plus his experience & knowledge of the game has transformed a somewhat confused group of lads into a squad that has no lack of clarity as to the gameplan and their roles therein. 

And along with that clarity, confidence has steadily grown and was epitomised by tonight's performance. 

The depth of that squad was shown with knobs on as 5 subs were made during the 2nd half, with each player entering the field of play as capable as the team mate they replaced. 

Was this ever thus in the final weeks, even months, of Bow's management ? 

I wonder how the atmosphere in the dressing room has changed since our new gaffer arrived...

EVERYONE wearing the shirt tonight played his part in this victory and IMO, no-one deserves to be singled out. 

A team performance indeed. 

But, alongside the arrival of our Main Man, there is another, if far less important factor in the upturn of our results. 

10 games ago, Wigan away, there was a disaster waiting to happen at Fanackapan Towers. 

Circa 5.55pm, Mr F walked his well trodden path from the kitchen to the shed at the bottom of the garden, where Lidl's finest resides until required.....

....only to return with the horrific news that, as Old Mother Hubbard discovered, the "cupboard" was bare ! WTF ?????

So, the match was watched in sober silence with just the mutterings from a very grumpy Fanny to accompany Terry & Greg's dulcet tones. 

But, quelle surprise ! The Addicks were victorious following 4 matches without a win ! Could this be a sign ?

Since that day, on March 2nd, NO alcohol has passed my lips before or during a match viewed via VP. 

Sometimes, there is a bigger picture to consider -a girl has to do what a girl has to do for her team. 

Maybe one day ( Sunday May 30th ? ) those weeks of sacrifice will be acknowledged as the masses, in the throes of victorious jubilation cry as
    one 

" WE WANT FANNY !"

:wink:

Was it not ever thus?
  • Options
    How things change,Barnsley stayed up last year with the last kick of the season,they are now one win from the play offs,and could be a premier team next season.
    So would I always had a soft spot for them since they got to the premiership years ago,always enjoyed going there,best away pies you could get.
    Norwich do the best pies!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely 
  • Options
    With Stockley and Magennis up front together, imagine how many goals you'd score from crosses and set pieces!
    You’d score just as many goals as if you just had Stockley up front on his own!
  • Options
    That was a great lunch at Carrow Road on St George’s Day many years ago. My Dad and I went back for another one each. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    You’d score just as many goals as if you just had Stockley up front on his own!
    Magennis has scored 16 this season, has a higher shot accuracy than anyone who has scored more than him and the highest goal conversion percentage of anyone who has scored 10+. 
  • Options
    Still ill in shock, did that really happen.
  • Options
    Only just recovered from the dose of joy I got on Tuesday 

After a shaky opening few minutes and Ben Amos doing his thing we were ruthless the difference made by getting balls into the box early was enormous 
  • Options
    Genuinely can’t  remember the last time I watched us play and being completely relaxed in the last 20 mins knowing we were going to win. Bizarre. 
    Ha ha - my missus looked over at me with about twenty to go and said "Are you alright?" I think I had such a strange look on my face she thought I had had a stroke... I really didn't know what to do with myself, as you say AFKA, it really felt bizarre.   
    My gf came back and was in utter shock when I told her we were 5-0 up haha  :D I felt pretty smug about it too as she'd previously remarked to me earlier in the season "You're pretty shit aren't you" ...
    And she’s still your gf?
  • Options
    On Have I got News for You yesterday, Josh Widdicombe mentioned that he's a Plymouth supporter. Sadly nobody else on the panel knew about the 6-0 result!
  • Options
    On Have I got News for You yesterday, Josh Widdicombe mentioned that he's a Plymouth supporter. Sadly nobody else on the panel knew about the 6-0 result!
    Probably pre recorded so you can sit there laughing at him seeing he's not aware at that stage of what is to come
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably pre recorded so you can sit there laughing at him seeing he's not aware at that stage of what is to come
    It would usually have been recorded on Thursday, so definitely after the match. And it wasn't as if Josh was exactly positive about his team!
  • Options
    jonno said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Did we really only get one foul committed on us in 90+ mins? That must be very rare.
    Dead ball situations were critical. Plymouth had seven times as many kick offs as we had free kicks! Wonder when that has happened before.