Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic| Tue 20 April

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:
    Sunderland please go up automatically....
  • Options
    Like you it would be good to miss Sunderland three timer!
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Both JFC and Gilbey are able to press, win the ball, and more importantly not lose out goal side.  This has meant Watson's not always playing on top of our box, and you can see his quality more often than not taking the ball on the half turn.  Much better blend but against the better more physical teams Pratley should play.

I still think Albie's got a massive part to play, in that positionally he's much sharper than Millar or Jaiyesimi and he's the only one who looks to put in a cross first time which is crucial for Stockley against good teams.  Jaieysimi was very good last night but never seems to put in a first time cross.
    Morgan is not a winger. If we're going to play 433 we can't afford to have someone like him playing wide. I'm generally a fan but I do feel people are very generous towards him because he's from the academy. He shouldn't be starting in this team. In fact, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. 
    Very strange, he's our best passer of the ball, at worst he's equal to Shinnie in the passing stakes. 

I understand why he's struggling to get on the bench/on pitch at the moment. 

Shinnie is better in positioning, tackling and reading the game, so will be ahead of Morgan in the pecking order. 

I think Gilbey and JFC are in there on merit, but I still question the need for Watson or Pratley starting. Jake can do the job in front of the back four and has done it well several times this season. 

I'd suggest our best 18 for a 4-3-3 would be: 

Amos

Matthews - Inniss - Pearce - Purrington

Shinnie - F.Caskey - Gilbey

Jaiyesimi - Aneke - Millar

Subs: 
    M.Brewer, Gunter/Oshilaja, Maatsen, Famewo, Morgan, Watson, Stockley

I know I have dropped Schwartz. It was typing this out that I began to realise that on the whole I agree with Adkins selections with only the Watson/Pratley as starting players questionable, but for both Bowyer and Adkins to regularly pick them, they obviously add more than most of us really see.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    What does he do about Inniss for Saturday?
    Straight back in, he's our best defender. The question is does he keep Pearce in for his excellent form or does he put in Famewo for the extra mobility against a very good Peterborough attack. It's a difficult one because Pearce has been so good recently, but Famewo might be the right choice up against a clever side

I thought Pearce had Clarke-Harris in his pocket when we went there, I'd play him and Inniss together
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cloudworm said:
    Straight back in, he's our best defender. The question is does he keep Pearce in for his excellent form or does he put in Famewo for the extra mobility against a very good Peterborough attack. It's a difficult one because Pearce has been so good recently, but Famewo might be the right choice up against a clever side

I'd bring Inniss back in for Famewo. 

You keep the same side as best you can, disturbing the defensive lines is a dangerous game, Plymouth was the opportune time to rest Inniss who has been fantastic since his return from injury.

Next game against Crewe I'd suggest resting Pearce for Famewo to re-unite the Inniss Famewo partnership.  
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

That said, Famewo is also returning from injury so resting him or at least keeping him on the bench for part of the game would be sensible injury management.
  • Options
    Folk have mentioned it above, but the memorable part of the match was the closing down, the work rate, the press.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Folk have mentioned it above, but the memorable part of the match was the closing down, the work rate, the press.
    In every game where we have looked half decent we closed, worked hard and pressed, it is obvious the players had lost that desire to work for Bowyer and didn't have the chemistry to trust each other to cover if one pressed out of position. 

Special mention for Stockley as I have been a critic of his decision making as to when to press and his workrate to close defenders, he was great last night. He must have been relieved to see Aneke warming up. 
  • Options
    Just been on the Sunderland fans forum - all sound very p***ed off with their manager.
    2 points from last 5 games. Horrendous form for a side in 3rd place.
    I predicted after we beat them, that they would now go on to shit the bed and get complacent. They knew that defeat had pretty much killed off all hopes of a top 2 finish and are certain to be in the playoffs, regardless of results. They'll be going into the knockout stages in poor form and if we are to cross swords with them yet again, I fancy us to get a hat trick of play off victories over them
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Both JFC and Gilbey are able to press, win the ball, and more importantly not lose out goal side.  This has meant Watson's not always playing on top of our box, and you can see his quality more often than not taking the ball on the half turn.  Much better blend but against the better more physical teams Pratley should play.

I still think Albie's got a massive part to play, in that positionally he's much sharper than Millar or Jaiyesimi and he's the only one who looks to put in a cross first time which is crucial for Stockley against good teams.  Jaieysimi was very good last night but never seems to put in a first time cross.
    Morgan is not a winger. If we're going to play 433 we can't afford to have someone like him playing wide. I'm generally a fan but I do feel people are very generous towards him because he's from the academy. He shouldn't be starting in this team. In fact, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. 
    Very strange, he's our best passer of the ball, at worst he's equal to Shinnie in the passing stakes. 

Shinnie is better in positioning, tackling and reading the game, so will be ahead of Morgan in the pecking order. 

I think Gilbey and JFC are in there on merit, but I still question the need for Watson or Pratley starting. Jake can do the job in front of the back four and has done it well several times this season. 

Amos

Subs: 

I know I have dropped Schwartz. It was typing this out that I began to realise that on the whole I agree with Adkins selections with only the Watson/Pratley as starting players questionable, but for both Bowyer and Adkins to regularly pick them, they obviously add more than most of us really see.
    I'd see Shinnie as a replacement for Gilbey or JFC role. Having Watson or Pratley in the middle does offer us protection (Pratley) or turnover of play (Watson) but at some costs too. 

What I'd like to see from Morgan is to learn from JFC....you are at your best when pressing and playing at a quicker pace closing down, then do the simple things well with the ball and your quality will show. 
  • Options
    Having a sunny week in Salcombe... lovely place. In another world, we'd have been at the match last night and this holiday would have been all the more memorable!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Ahh, the "one trick pony".......so from that freeze frame, it looks like an airshot from Stockley!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cloudworm said:

I think Adkins is in the decent position where he can have half an eye on the play offs themselves. That means being able to look after our centre backs. We all know Inniss is a bit fragile and Famewo has been out for a while, they won't play every game.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:

Amos

Subs: 

You are the stats man Daz.  Does your spreedsheet tell you how many goals a game we concede when neither Watson nor Pratley play in midfield?

Neither started the two games Jacko picked the team for.  One or other has started all of the games NA has picked the team for and the same in the last 4 games LB had.

In the last 10 games we have conceded 7 goals, 4 of which came in the two games neither started.

That's probably the reason. 

We're ignoring the defence here, which is important as it's been so inconsistent.

Games with Pratley or Watson or both in midfield: 33 (37 GC, 48 GS +11GD)
    (
    with an average of 1.121 goals conceded and 1.455 goals scored per game) 

Games without Pratley or Watson or both in midfield: 8 (13 GC, 15 GS +2GD) 
    (with an average of 1.625 goals conceded and 1.875 goals scored per game) 
  • Options
    Great awareness by Stockley to leave the ball for Millar to score I thought.

Maybe he was shooting with his left!
  • Options
    Never saw that coming and was sooooo close to not watching it cos had shit to do 
    Ive seen every league game since the loss to Lincoln at the beginning of the season 
    gutted I won’t see Saturdays cos I’m donning my cricket whites and playing my first match of the season with my eldest son but will be glued to phone for the score when possible .
    crazy match where we certainly had the run of the green but you earn it and we did .
    Purrington is much better than he was in the play off season and DJ , Millar and Gilbey turned it on but I still think there’s more from them (I’m greedy ) I think we can play better .
    Im too scared to get excited but if I was normal I would be ! 

Once again don’t fancy us Saturday , long may my shitness be rebuffed by the well oiled machine that is  Charlton.

65%    Play offs
    35%  7th-12th

100% thank you Thomas and Nige 

Hopefully your team is batting when Cafc game is played so you only miss 2 minutes  :o
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

I thought Pearce had Clarke-Harris in his pocket when we went there, I'd play him and Inniss together
    Same here. We know that Inniss and Famewo is the best CB partnership possible (when both are fully fit), but I think we should make the most of Pearce being on top form. 

To be honest, after the catastrophic injury record we’ve had for the last 2 seasons, it’s a wonderful conversation to be having where we have 3 quality CBs to choose from in starting line up. 
    Agreed, and I didn't think I would ever be saying that 10 games ago. Pearce just looks so much fresher and composed on than ball than I've seen in a long while. I'd start him Sat, and then give him a rest on Tuesday with Inniss and Famewo starting. Nice to be able to rotate!
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Same here. We know that Inniss and Famewo is the best CB partnership possible (when both are fully fit), but I think we should make the most of Pearce being on top form. 

To be honest, after the catastrophic injury record we’ve had for the last 2 seasons, it’s a wonderful conversation to be having where we have 3 quality CBs to choose from in starting line up
    This shows what a fantastic job Pearce has done in turning his own form around. Yes playing with either Famewo or Innis will be helping but he has been brilliant in the last couple of months.
    He definitely  deserves a new contract (which he really wants) you imagine he'll be great in the dressing room