Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season tickets 2021/22 (22nd July - 9,000 sold).

Comments

• Sell a high enough percentage of the match day seats to season ticket holders and supply and demand will mean the remaining ones, including for away fans, can start to be premium ticket prices. That will help balance the cheap STs. 
    That’s not the way you bring in new supporters. It’s how you put them off. Ultimately the best way to drive up revenue is to add to the fanbase, especially when you have as much spare capacity as we do.
    We don’t need to bring in new supporters, we’ve already proven they are there. We need to get them coming along regularly, not occasionally. 
    Charge people a premium for walk ups, thatl help....
  • In the long term you imagine the lower CE will become a safe standing area so will become a place people go to because of the atmosphere/being able to stand etc rather than just  because it's cheaper
  • Uboat said:
    Nothing worse than that long walk back to the car with a soaking wet little fella. 
    I think anyone at the infamous Yeovil away game can relate to that.
    Or the FA Cup tie at The Hawthorns in the late '80s.
  • Hal1x said:
    I'd pay an extra £6/7 per game to know I'm not going to get soaked, well the little fella mainly. 
    Wear trousers then!
    Zips are your best friends.
  • edited May 2021
    se9addick said:
    Looks to me as if 2,500-3,000 of the tickets sold might be in the Covered End Lower or family stand, which isn’t great for the club in revenue terms.
    Blimey mate . Why do you always put a bad spin on things ? 
    I’m not sure that looking at detail is “a bad spin”. I’ve seen all kinds of nonsense about the revenue likely to be raised from season tickets on here. I just try to inject some reality into it. 

The very large spread of the adult prices - itself a hangover from previous regimes - skews the sales into low cost areas, which reduces the club’s income. If the club has sold two thirds of tickets in that area it will only have brought in, say, £350k-£400k from a third of sales. People are focused on numbers sold but it’s revenue that matters to the club in the end.
    Is there a quantifiable benefit to the club from higher numbers of STs, even in lower priced sections, due to increased spending inside the stadium (merchandise, catering etc) or is that “priced in” to the outsource agreements?
    The profit per head from ancillary spendIng is so trivial next to tickets it’s barely worth considering - apart from the fact that most people spend nothing, you have to factor in cost of sale, etc. Unlike tickets there is the cost of the person selling it to you, the unit cost of producing and delivering it to you, etc.

I am not saying it isn’t worthwhile offering these things but think £2 per head per match as a benchmark. And remember not buying a season ticket doesn’t mean you never attend - or that you always attend if you do have one. In fact, as we know, thousands of season ticket holders are invariably missing.
     Thousands  missing? invariably? Out 7,000 or less.  That is an far fetched isn't it.
    The numbers of non-attending season-ticket holders have been extraordinary for years. I doubt if there has been any game when it's been under four figures since 2012. A few reasons are 1) for many people it's worth buying a season ticket even if you don't plan to attend every game 2) very cheap season tickets for U11s, 3) general disenchantment with the team/club, and 4) declining interest in midweek games, often related to children or travel.
  • I wonder how good the database is, if we have the contact details for all the people who came to the Doncaster and Sunderland playoff games for instance. I wonder if a 10 game carnet thing would work for instance, let people choose 10 matches to attend over a season, might attract people who don't want to commit to all games especially evenings. I suppose the danger is that some ST buyers would divert to this, I don't know.
  • edited May 2021
    I wonder how good the database is, if we have the contact details for all the people who came to the Doncaster and Sunderland playoff games for instance. I wonder if a 10 game carnet thing would work for instance, let people choose 10 matches to attend over a season, might attract people who don't want to commit to all games especially evenings. I suppose the danger is that some ST buyers would divert to this, I don't know.
    You've answered your own question, I think. A pick and mix season ticket is a terrible idea from a revenue perspective. I think it would need to be almost as expensive as a full season to have any chance of working and then it's messy to manage in terms of which seats, which games.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder how good the database is, if we have the contact details for all the people who came to the Doncaster and Sunderland playoff games for instance. I wonder if a 10 game carnet thing would work for instance, let people choose 10 matches to attend over a season, might attract people who don't want to commit to all games especially evenings. I suppose the danger is that some ST buyers would divert to this, I don't know.
    You've answered your own question, I think. A pick and mix season ticket is a terrible idea from a revenue perspective. I think it would need to be almost as expensive as a full season to have any chance of working and then it's messy to manage in terms of which seats, which games.
    I used to work with a Colchester fan and he used to purchase a 6 game ticket whereby you could attend 2 "cat c" games, 2 "cat b" games and 2 "cat a" games.

Seemed like a good idea and maybe something that could work.
  • Belv said:
    I wonder how good the database is, if we have the contact details for all the people who came to the Doncaster and Sunderland playoff games for instance. I wonder if a 10 game carnet thing would work for instance, let people choose 10 matches to attend over a season, might attract people who don't want to commit to all games especially evenings. I suppose the danger is that some ST buyers would divert to this, I don't know.
    I used to work with a Colchester fan and he used to purchase a 6 game ticket whereby you could attend 2 "cat c" games, 2 "cat b" games and 2 "cat a" games.

It sounds fiddly though and asks people to know that different games are in different categories. So dunno.
  • Sell a high enough percentage of the match day seats to season ticket holders and supply and demand will mean the remaining ones, including for away fans, can start to be premium ticket prices. That will help balance the cheap STs. 
    That’s not the way you bring in new supporters. It’s how you put them off. Ultimately the best way to drive up revenue is to add to the fanbase, especially when you have as much spare capacity as we do.
    We don’t need to bring in new supporters, we’ve already proven they are there. We need to get them coming along regularly, not occasionally. 
    A strange thing to say.  We'll always need new supporters.
  • Belv said:

You'd still have to have allocated seats, which means that either those seats can't be sold to others at games you don't attend or you'd only buy a voucher and have to convert it to a ticket. I'm sure the latter is technically possible, but then again you could just buy a ticket for the games you wanted to see. I think you can offer deals in the second half of the season, but in the summer you focus on selling season tickets, as anything else is just a distraction from that.
  • Belv said:

You'd still have to have allocated seats, which means that either those seats can't be sold to others at games you don't attend or you'd only buy a voucher and have to convert it to a ticket. I'm sure the latter is technically possible, but then again you could just buy a ticket for the games you wanted to see. I think you can offer deals in the second half of the season, but in the summer you focus on selling season tickets, as anything else is just a distraction from that.
    Yeah, I think it was more like a voucher type thing. It probably does work better at certain clubs or at certain levels etc
  • Belv said:

Colchester have category A fixtures?!!!!
    Think they basically classed a category A game as a game against a side who might bring a good following., plenty of those when they were in league one.

Then when in League 2 he would go to the Luton and Portsmouth games for example.
  • Belv said:
    Belv said:

Think they basically classed a category A game as a game against a side who might bring a good following., plenty of those when they were in league one.

Then when in League 2 he would go to the Luton and Portsmouth games for example.
    Havent they closed an entire stand these days?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Belv said:
    Belv said:

Havent they closed an entire stand these days?
    No idea to be honest, he retired a couple of years ago thus ending any information I get regarding Colchester.
  • Are they posting STs out yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Belv said:

No idea to be honest, he retired a couple of years ago thus ending any information I get regarding Colchester.
    I bet you miss him.
  • iainment said:
    Are they posting STs out yet?
     The club is waiting to see which players are still here at the end of July so that they can draw up a delivery rota before the season starts.
    If you live within a 2 mile radius of sparrows lane you may get a visit, don’t think they’d come to Gravesend 😃
  • Belv said:

Biggleswade v chipping Norton is about your level

Category z
  • Looks to me as if 2,500-3,000 of the tickets sold might be in the Covered End Lower or family stand, which isn’t great for the club in revenue terms.
    I’m not sure that looking at detail is “a bad spin”. I’ve seen all kinds of nonsense about the revenue likely to be raised from season tickets on here. I just try to inject some reality into it. 

The very large spread of the adult prices - itself a hangover from previous regimes - skews the sales into low cost areas, which reduces the club’s income. If the club has sold one third of tickets in that area it will only have brought in, say, £350k-£400k from a third of sales. People are focused on numbers sold but it’s revenue that matters to the club in the end.

This price in the Covered End arose from a view that we needed more fans Immediately behind the goal - the question I would ask is whether the cost of that would be better spent on players.

And yes, I get that some people paying £260 wouldn’t buy at a higher price, but I doubt if they would all then spend zero on match tickets. The question is more whether big gap between £260 and £400 is dragging people who will buy anyway to the lowest price.
    Indeed. The group I attend with,  we all moved into the Covered End for reduced spend to Roland after 22 years in the Curbs stand.
  • DA9 said:
    iainment said:
     The club is waiting to see which players are still here at the end of July so that they can draw up a delivery rota before the season starts.
    If you live within a 2 mile radius of sparrows lane you may get a visit, don’t think they’d come to Gravesend 😃
    You’re not ‘proper Charlton’ if you don’t live in a 2 mile radius of Sparras...
  • Ferryman said:
    Looks to me as if 2,500-3,000 of the tickets sold might be in the Covered End Lower or family stand, which isn’t great for the club in revenue terms.

The very large spread of the adult prices - itself a hangover from previous regimes - skews the sales into low cost areas, which reduces the club’s income. If the club has sold one third of tickets in that area it will only have brought in, say, £350k-£400k from a third of sales. People are focused on numbers sold but it’s revenue that matters to the club in the end.

This price in the Covered End arose from a view that we needed more fans Immediately behind the goal - the question I would ask is whether the cost of that would be better spent on players.

And yes, I get that some people paying £260 wouldn’t buy at a higher price, but I doubt if they would all then spend zero on match tickets. The question is more whether big gap between £260 and £400 is dragging people who will buy anyway to the lowest price.
    Indeed. The group I attend with,  we all moved into the Covered End for reduced spend to Roland after 22 years in the Curbs stand.
    I must be the only wally to make the reverse move. More money than sense me :-) 
  • Ferryman said:

I must be the only wally to make the reverse move. More money than sense me :-) 
    You are not the only one. I've done the same
  • iainment said:
    I’m guessing that’s a no then.
  • Any chance of an away season ticket?