Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season tickets 2021/22 (22nd July - 9,000 sold).

Comments

• Options
    Why would you increase prices from 2 hours before kick-off?
    How bizarre. Comes across like some petty penalty against your own fans for being late.
    Have we always done this, as an ST holder I've never noticed?
    I think they have been doing it for a couple of years....agree with your point of view.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    35 years ago I was a lapsed Brighton supporter (you needed an id card to go the Goldstone and I refused to get one) living in Norwood for a few years. I was wandering around on a sunny day with my new girlfriend and we decided to go to a park for the afternoon.

But I saw a crowd walking along the road and said to her "I know - lets go and see Palace!". So we turned up and paid at the gate.

Turned out it was actually Charlton playing and we've both been season ticket holders ever since. Walk-ups can turn into something much more than £20.00!

There is surely something to be said for giving out the message  "Just turn up whenever you like " to people who have never been to a football match or seen Charlton play. You probably only need a couple of people like me per season to make it worth while!

But accounting methods are not really up to understanding that one ticket purchase might actually lead to the £30,000 - £40,000 revenue (in todays money) we have spent on season tickets etc.

Oh  -  and of course my son AND one of his childhood friends will probably buy a season ticket online this year when they are sure they will be allowed to go although neither of them have ever lived anywhere near the Valley! But that is nothing to do with walk-ups is it?
    Even as a “lapsed” Brighton fan, how on earth did you even contemplate going to watch palarse on a whim?
    I've done a few strange inexplicable things in my life that I just can't explain - but that was definitely the strangest!
  • Options
    35 years ago I was a lapsed Brighton supporter (you needed an id card to go the Goldstone and I refused to get one) living in Norwood for a few years. I was wandering around on a sunny day with my new girlfriend and we decided to go to a park for the afternoon.

But I saw a crowd walking along the road and said to her "I know - lets go and see Palace!". So we turned up and paid at the gate.

Turned out it was actually Charlton playing and we've both been season ticket holders ever since. Walk-ups can turn into something much more than £20.00!

There is surely something to be said for giving out the message  "Just turn up whenever you like " to people who have never been to a football match or seen Charlton play. You probably only need a couple of people like me per season to make it worth while!

But accounting methods are not really up to understanding that one ticket purchase might actually lead to the £30,000 - £40,000 revenue (in todays money) we have spent on season tickets etc.

Oh  -  and of course my son AND one of his childhood friends will probably buy a season ticket online this year when they are sure they will be allowed to go although neither of them have ever lived anywhere near the Valley! But that is nothing to do with walk-ups is it?
    Would you have refused to buy a ticket if the price had been increased to £22 ? 

• Options
    🤣 haha you know what I meant 
  • Options

If you are a totally random fan how would you know that the ticket price has increased by £2?
  • Options
    You can add 2 to the total as me and my pal are getting season tickets its just we cant work out how on line so are going to the ground one day soon to ask how th hell we do it. As we are both lapsed bastards who only went 2 or 3 times a season over the last few years.

• Options
    You can add 2 to the total as me and my pal are getting season tickets its just we cant work out how on line so are going to the ground one day soon to ask how th hell we do it. As we are both lapsed bastards who only went 2 or 3 times a season over the last few years.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/tickets/buy-season-tickets/how-to-purchase-your-202122-season-ticket-online
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

If you are a totally random fan how would you know that the ticket price has increased by £2?

It's not so much the actual price as the message that you are not really welcome as a random new "fan".

I'm thinking more about suggesting  "Don't worry if you've never been to a football match before  - just come along at half past two and we'll make it easy for you".

Rather than scaring people away by making them join membership schemes and pick seats in advance or face the consequences!

I know there are security implications which make this very difficult but it should surely at least be the aim.

Ironically, the government has just introduced regulations forcing many businesses to stop them charging new customers less than existing customers. 
  • Options
    Not sure if your assumption that most of the walk up are new customers is correct. 
    The extra income generated by this charge is around £100,000. Whether there is a loss of ticket sales because of it I suspect is very doubtful. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    DA9 said:

Even as a “lapsed” Brighton fan, how on earth did you even contemplate going to watch palarse on a whim?
    I've done a few strange inexplicable things in my life that I just can't explain - but that was definitely the strangest!
    TBF, I remember we used to pop over there sometimes to join the away fans and give them some support…
  • Options
    clive said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/tickets/buy-season-tickets/how-to-purchase-your-202122-season-ticket-online
    thanks mate - well give it a go later when we have time and patience. last time it was hell. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's not so much the actual price as the message that you are not really welcome as a random new "fan".

I'm thinking more about suggesting  "Don't worry if you've never been to a football match before  - just come along at half past two and we'll make it easy for you".

Rather than scaring people away by making them join membership schemes and pick seats in advance or face the consequences!

I know there are security implications which make this very difficult but it should surely at least be the aim.

Ironically, the government has just introduced regulations forcing many businesses to stop them charging new customers less than existing customers. 
    What are you talking about, nobody is being forced to become a member due to a campaign of fear 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    redman said:
    Not sure if your assumption that most of the walk up are new customers is correct. 
    The extra income generated by this charge is around £100,000. Whether there is a loss of ticket sales because of it I suspect is very doubtful. 
    Where does this figure come from as I would not have assumed anything of that order.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The message has nothing whatsoever to do with new fans and new fans aren't being charged more are they?
    The message is, whether you've supported Charlton for 50 years, or have never been before.
    Please buy in advance which is cheaper for everyone and reduces congestion on the day.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    redman said:
    Unlikely. Even taking that figure as gross, that would require an average of 1,450 "late" over 18 matchday ticket sales per match at £3 a time. There is no surcharge on U18 tickets, which typically comprise at least a quarter of match ticket sales.

That figure rises to 1,739 average over 18 ticket sales if you take into account that the £3 is subject to VAT, so you have to raise £120,000 to generate £100,000.

If the club was selling an average of 2,500 tickets in the two hours before kick-off every game, you'd see massive queues because the infrastructure would struggle to cope with it. The queues would be a bigger deterrent than the price.

• Options
    se9addick said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Agreed - that's a bit OTT!

But I still think new / non-committed spectators must find it strange that a half empty venue requires you to pay extra if you have not pre-booked a few hours in advance - even if you come at a busy time.

Restaurants - cinemas - theatres. Definitely not.

Planes and trains maybe. Although I can't even see Ryanair charging a "late booking fee" on a half empty plane. They would probably do the complete opposite!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

But I still think new / non-committed spectators must find it strange that a half empty venue requires you to pay extra if you have not pre-booked a few hours in advance - even if you come at a busy time.

Planes and trains maybe. Although I can't even see Ryanair charging a "late booking fee" on a half empty plane. They would probably do the complete opposite!
    It’s 50p at the end of the day vs a fan that buys in advance online/over the phone. I think you’re taking it a bit far. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

It’s 50p at the end of the day vs a fan that buys in advance online/over the phone. I think you’re taking it a bit far. 
    The charge is £3 per ticket. The online booking fee is £1.50 per transaction. So someone buying two adult tickets on the day pays an extra £6, against £1.50 online. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Name me any restaurant, cinema or theatre that you have been to where 10,000 to 15,000 arrive at the entrance to buy a ticket 30-45 mins before the start time, needing to select seats, probably paying by card and then have to enter via a different entrance(s)?
  • Options
    When should we be expecting to receive our ST's?

I have reason to worry that they will send mine to the wrong address. My address on the system was wrong when I bought the ticket but I didn't realise until I received the confirmation email which stated that as the address it would be sent to. I immediately changed my address on the system and sent an email (got no reply). They have since sent me leaflets and the like in the post to this address but no idea if they will get it right for the ST.
  • Options
    Ring the ticket office 03330 14 44 44

• Options
    redman said:
    Unlikely. Even taking that figure as gross, that would require an average of 1,450 "late" over 18 matchday ticket sales per match at £3 a time. There is no surcharge on U18 tickets, which typically comprise at least a quarter of match ticket sales.

That figure rises to 1,739 average over 18 ticket sales if you take into account that the £3 is subject to VAT, so you have to raise £120,000 to generate £100,000.

If the club was selling an average of 2,500 tickets in the two hours before kick-off every game, you'd see massive queues because the infrastructure would struggle to cope with it. The queues would be a bigger deterrent than the price.

I thought I had remembered you saying that walk up was usually around 2,000. Sounds like my memory is wrong. Your estimate is better than mine, so what would you estimate it to be, so I can recalibrate my brain? 
  • Options
    If you don't like the charge just purchase early, how hard can it be. 
    Exactly, I think some are looking at this from the wrong angle. If you purchase earlier the tickets are a couple of quid cheaper. Where’s the problem?
  • Options
    SID said:
    If you don't like the charge just purchase early, how hard can it be. 
    Exactly, I think some are looking at this from the wrong angle. If you purchase earlier the tickets are a couple of quid cheaper. Where’s the problem?
    Small related problem is that online option disappears something like 2 or 3  hours before. Not sure why you need to do that. If online you can pay 'less' its still stopping queuing at the ticket office.