Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• And completely taken out of the game by Pratley's man marking up at their place. He didn't get a look in.
  • NOT a rumour .. dangerous Jack Whatmough has moved from Pompey to Wigan ..  Wigan are developing a decent squad .. expect them to stage a real promotion push (same with Ipswich)

• Based on the fact this plonker has said Wigan have submitted a bid to Burton and not MK Dons who Scott Fraser actuallly plays for, I'm gonna say it's Nicko talking crap as per 
    Probably, he did used to play for Burton though to be fair.
  • edited June 2021
    Addickted said:
    And completely taken out of the game by Pratley's man marking up at their place. He didn't get a look in.
    There are countless of great players who get man marked out of games specifically by a player who's only job is to neutralise him.

That's where if you have a good team around you it works out well, he plays for MK Dons so it didn't work out well. 

I also don't forget the two times we made Burton look like Barca and he was a massive reason why. 
  • Some good news. I've had it confirmed that Gallen has a mobile phone.
    As long as it isn't any old 'phone, he'd better have a super-dooper deal 'phone.
  • SexyDave said:
    Perhaps with the season just finishing a lot of the players have been on their holidays?! It's like everyone is part of the millennial generation where they need everything here and now at the click of a button. 
    And Thomas not having Amazon Prime explains why we aren't getting our new players on next day delivery.
  • edited June 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:
    Hope we don’t miss out on Stockley. Particularly to Portsmouth!

Again, not panicking, but other league one teams are announcing players. With the amount we need through the door and with pre season only 3 weeks away, will we sign anyone this week?
    Don't panic, Mr Mannering! :smile:

Mainwaring. 
    It's funny, isn't it? ........ you have some distant memory of a character in a TV programme you haven't seen for 50 years ...... and then you only go and mis-spell his name that you've never actually seen written. :smile:

As Captain Mainwaring himself would have said: "Stupid Boy, Pike".   

PS: I've probably spelt Pike wrong as well haha

• Danlazzz said:
    Shows its a Football problem now and not just something that Charlton have suffered with of late... Oxford releasing Jack Stevens cant be down to club choice, he's only broken through this season, got them into the Play-Offs and saved a couple of penalties as we well know!!
    It’s a different Jack Stevens they have released. Not the keeper. 
    Well thats just bloody confusing :D
    Indeed.  Just call them all Matt Smith.
  • SexyDave said:
    Perhaps with the season just finishing a lot of the players have been on their holidays?! It's like everyone is part of the millennial generation where they need everything here and now at the click of a button. 
    Yeah, exactly. I can't wait to read all about Charlton's new signings when I buy the "Kentish Independent" on Thursdays.

Peter Cordwell always had all the hot stories and snippets. :smile:

• Addickted said:
    And completely taken out of the game by Pratley's man marking up at their place. He didn't get a look in.
    There are countless of great players who get man marked out of games specifically by a player who's only job is to neutralise him.

That's where if you have a good team around you it works out well, he plays for MK Dons so it didn't work out well. 

I also don't forget the two times we made Burton look like Barca and he was a massive reason why. 
    Yeah, exactly. If a team uses a player to specifically man mark and follow the one player everywhere throughout the game,
    that leaves space for opponents to exploit.

And the better teams will.

• Sponsored links:

• Is that our Toby Stevenson who’s been released by Watford or different player? 
    He may have done well enough at Watford, but their promotion back to the Premier League probably has cut off the pathway for his development.
    His age will count against him and never going to get games in the Prem, at least in the short term.

If he's developed further, I expect he'll get picked up by a lower division side and play.

• edited June 2021
    Can see us being interested in Scott Fraser. Looking at that list, there are some good players out there at the moment. Can imagine we’ve offered a few contracts, just a waiting game at the moment. 
  • Surprised that Huddersfield are letting Alex Pritchard go.
    Remember him playing for Norwich City in midfield.
    Never played outside the prem. or championship. 
    Sill only 28.
  • <Players I had heard of and signed mostly haven't turned out so well: Hasselbaink, Barnes, Murphy. Just Di Canio being the notable acception I can think of.>

Like him or not, that's harsh on Murphy to dump him in that trio! 
  • I am no Ackworth, I'm almost always a spectator when it comes to potential signings.

The only one that seemed such an obvious one to me was Paul Parker, I think it was the last match of the season when we got promoted at Sellout, we were heading up with Fulham getting relegated, he was easily the standout player on the pitch. No idea why we didn't go in for him.

Excellent past signings were never on my radar and never heard of them before they joined us: Mendonca, Hunt, Mills, Kishishev, Kinsella etc.

Players I had heard of and signed mostly haven't turned out so well: Hasselbaink, Barnes, Murphy. Just Di Canio being the notable acception I can think of.

I look forward to learning of the new signings and finding out if this is a Lawrence moment when he stole the best players from Wolves (apart from Flowers) and we started on our glorious road to beautiful memories. 
    I remember my dad turning to me that night at sellout saying that Parker will play for England one day 
  • Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
  • cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    TS comments suggest that there is money available, and his being part of the recruitment team certainly suggests he has funds he will be contributing.

But until we start making signings nothing is confirmed I suppose.
  • cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    Can’t see us spending much, if anything at all. So many free transfers available 
  • I'm sure there are some diamonds in the released list but we do not need aging "names". We need young players that can grow with us - imo we should steer well clear of the likes of assombalonga. We have all the experience we need in the squad already , what we don't have are the hungry young players to develop 
  • Sponsored links:

• jams said:
    I'm sure there are some diamonds in the released list but we do not need aging "names". We need young players that can grow with us - imo we should steer well clear of the likes of assombalonga. We have all the experience we need in the squad already , what we don't have are the hungry young players to develop 
    Conversely we need to get out this league ASAP no point developing players for 2 or 3 years time quite yet.  At least not more than a handful.

I would be shocked if we were even remotely intrested is Assombalonga but we need 6 or 7 "oven ready" players.  

• cabbles said:
    Can’t see us spending much, if anything at all. So many free transfers available 
    Based on...?
  • Not long now anyway, Henry told us all that 'it's happening' on the 9th 😉🤣
  • Jonniesta said:
    <Players I had heard of and signed mostly haven't turned out so well: Hasselbaink, Barnes, Murphy. Just Di Canio being the notable acception I can think of.>

Like him or not, that's harsh on Murphy to dump him in that trio! 
    @Jonniesta He was influential on the pitch for us for sure, unlike the other two but it wasn't one of our better signings the way things turned out and suggests that we need to be wary of signing household names.
  • I would expect that good players available on a free will demand a signing on fee so there is still a cost to the club

• Valley11 said:
    Hope we don’t miss out on Stockley. Particularly to Portsmouth!

Again, not panicking, but other league one teams are announcing players. With the amount we need through the door and with pre season only 3 weeks away, will we sign anyone this week?
    As a matter of fact as of late last week there had only been 8 incoming transfers in League 1 
  • It's been very quiet.

Can't the club just announce we've signed 'Matt Smith', then we can sit back and watch the press try to work out which one 
  • NOT a rumour .. dangerous Jack Whatmough has moved from Pompey to Wigan ..  Wigan are developing a decent squad .. expect them to stage a real promotion push (same with Ipswich)
    Signing Whatmough is a massive gamble given his injury record 
  • Need a signing to spice up my life 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!