Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    The second poster reckons stockley is joining for Portsmouth and Charlton! Greedy bastard wanting 2 signing on fees. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’m not really interested in players who were so bad that their clubs released them. I am more interested in getting players their clubs don’t want to lose.
    Like Taylor, Lockyer, Hollands, Yann, Hunt, Di Canio?

I mean who would want players like that....... 
    Most of those are the kind of player Napa is referring to. A player their club doesn't want to lose.
    Taylor, Lockyer, Hunt and Hollands were wanted by their clubs but chose to leave.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’m not really interested in players who were so bad that their clubs released them. I am more interested in getting players their clubs don’t want to lose.

Most of those are the kind of player Napa is referring to. A player their club doesn't want to lose.
    Taylor, Lockyer, Hunt and Hollands were wanted by their clubs but chose to leave.
    But they were still released.  He isn't the first person to equate free with not wanted. 
  • edited June 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    mart77 said:
    Who’s Bishop???
    Played for Canterbury.

Wasn't that Archie Bishop? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But they were still released.  He isn't the first person to equate free with not wanted. 
    There is a clear difference between players being released and players who are available on a free because they won't sign a new deal with their current clubs though. I'm not saying Napa is 100% correct but I get the point. 
  • cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    We won't but I hope TS does or our 5 year plan will be like the Soviet 5 year economic plans which just rolled on and achieved sod all on the economic front.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration, the Soviet's plans managed to ruin the harvest and their collectivisation of the farms caused a lot of famine.
  • I’m not really interested in players who were so bad that their clubs released them. I am more interested in getting players their clubs don’t want to lose.
    I'd guess Piggott (spelling?) is on AFC's released list because he told them adamantly he won't sign a new contract, not because they wanted rid of him.  How many others are in that situation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

"Released" is the wrong word. Their contract comes to an end. Sometimes clubs want the players to leave (not good enough/wages too high/ new manager doesn't rate them) and so happy for them to move on, and then sometimes clubs do all they can to keep them by offering them a new contract (maybe on better terms). A free agent is a free agent. Free from any contract & free to sign for whoever offers them what they are looking for.
    But you never really know, why.  You can guess, some times the player comes out and says they won't sign a new contract.

If any of the players we have offered new contracts to don't sign them it will be a mixture of:

Good, I hope we only offered a pay cut. 

Never really rated him and I don't think x and y really wanted him anyway.

He was shit anyway

He rejected it because we offered him a part time wage, or some other bollocks.

If a player is over 23 (I think it's 23) there is no benefit to their current club to offer them a contract they know they won't sign. 
  • cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    We won't but I hope TS does or our 5 year plan will be like the Soviet 5 year economic plans which just rolled on and achieved sod all on the economic front.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration, the Soviet's plans managed to ruin the harvest and their collectivisation of the farms caused a lot of famine.
    TBF the 5 year plans also modernised the Soviet economy enough to fight (and eventually win) WW2- that wouldn't have been possible without the 5 year plans. If I remember correctly I think they had a GDP growth of 8% throughout that (can't remember if that's on average or in specific years). 

Not saying it was a good policy of course as you rightly pointed out the effect on the agricultural community was horrific for one
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

"Released" is the wrong word. Their contract comes to an end. Sometimes clubs want the players to leave (not good enough/wages too high/ new manager doesn't rate them) and so happy for them to move on, and then sometimes clubs do all they can to keep them by offering them a new contract (maybe on better terms). A free agent is a free agent. Free from any contract & free to sign for whoever offers them what they are looking for.
    Exactly, the terminology isn't great as it covers a number of scenarios, e.g.

1) The club is desperate to keep the player and makes him a fantastic offer, but he still turns it down
    2) The club doesn't make the player an offer and releases him, but only because they know (from the player's agent) that his wage demands will be way over their budget and it's not worth even trying to keep the player
    3) The club makes the player a middling offer, of the sort which suggests they don't mind whether the player stays or goes. If the player rejects it, he is released
    4) The club makes a young player an offer but only so that he doesn't leave for nothing (that's what we did with Fosu)
    5) The club makes the player a derisory offer, which is a way of telling him to leave
    6) The club doesn't make the player an offer and releases them, because they're not wanted

• Maccn05 said:
    I think what even this early period of the summer is showing is this league could be bloody hard this season and we may end up really regretting not making the Bowyer / Adkins change a bit earlier

Basically it looks flipping tough and if we don't get our recruitment right and match the above we could be stuck for years again. I'm not worried yet as it's super early but hearing Stockley linked with Pompey does give me an 'uh oh' feeling given it was rumored to be already done.

A couple of impressive singings this week would really settle the nerves :)

Haha ...... just to think some of us are nervous at a time when the players are on holiday and there's no games. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• From a pompey paper 

Charlton not happy with his agent or PNE .... saying they have  a gentleman’s agreement fee wages agent fee before player went of on family holiday and there understanding is that’s still in place for the player to sign on his return .... ??
  • Had a nice chat with Nathan Baxter when he came to watch our first XI on Saturday. Said he was looking Championship this year. Also introduced him to my 3rd XI teammate who's an Accrington fan, which I considered my good deed for the day. This isn't a Charlton rumour obviously, although I suspect he'd come here if Amos doesn't sign.
  • From a pompey paper 

Charlton not happy with his agent or PNE .... saying they have  a gentleman’s agreement fee wages agent fee before player went of on family holiday and there understanding is that’s still in place for the player to sign on his return .... ??
    Gentleman's agreement eh,, always dodgy ground unfortunately, be nice if trust and understanding does prevail, but these agents, well, can you actually trust them, i dunno
  • As if this thread couldn't get any more dull, we've found a way.....
    Tbh, looking at the content of the rumours I think the 5 year plan discussion has made it more interesting. 
  • cabbles said:
    Well, it would be a pretty poor show and a possible negative reflection on Thomas if all we can get are frees and loans, sounds like the ESI days, which is not where we want to be if we are supposed to be promotion candidates.
    It doesn't necessarily work that way these days ..... Remember, some of the best deals are for 'free'.

Good players become available because they are at the end of their contracts.
    And with no transfer fee involved, can be offered higher wages.

Players are often released, not because they are suddenly useless, but because at the end of his contract the player thinks he can better himself elsewhere, play at a higher level, move for family reasons.

It's a symptom of today. Think Lyle Taylor last year or Joe Aribo the year before. The records show they were released from Charlton.

And there's always freebies and bargains to be picked up from relegated or distressed clubs: think back to how we lost Tom Lockyer to Luton at the beginning of last season.

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    SexyDave said:
    Perhaps with the season just finishing a lot of the players have been on their holidays?! It's like everyone is part of the millennial generation where they need everything here and now at the click of a button. 
    Yeah, exactly. I can't wait to read all about Charlton's new signings when I buy the "Kentish Independent" on Thursdays.

Peter Cordwell always had all the hot stories and snippets. :smile:

Peter Burrowes at the K.I. surely.

Peter Cordwell was Sports Editor, wasn't he?

Scoop was a 'mere' reporter, spending half of his time moonlighting for LBC Radio. 

I think. :smile:

Cordwell was the guy at the Mercury  :)
    I thought Peter Cordwell was Sports Editor at the Kentish Independent until that newspaper closed in 1984?

Joined the Mercury when he needed a new job? :smile:

• From a pompey paper 

Gentleman's agreement eh,, always dodgy ground unfortunately, be nice if trust and understanding does prevail, but these agents, well, can you actually trust them, i dunno
    Curbs told some tales of nicking players from under the noses of other clubs. Our position on that was good on him. If Stockley has more than us wanting to sign him, we have to persuade him it is us he should sign for and that is usually, but not always about money.
  • Oggy Red said:
    cabbles said:
    Well, it would be a pretty poor show and a possible negative reflection on Thomas if all we can get are frees and loans, sounds like the ESI days, which is not where we want to be if we are supposed to be promotion candidates.
    It doesn't necessarily work that way these days ..... Remember, some of the best deals are for 'free'.

Good players become available because they are at the end of their contracts.
    And with no transfer fee involved, can be offered higher wages.

Players are often released, not because they are suddenly useless, but because at the end of his contract the player thinks he can better himself elsewhere, play at a higher level, move for family reasons.

It's a symptom of today. Think Lyle Taylor last year or Joe Aribo the year before. The records show they were released from Charlton.

And there's always freebies and bargains to be picked up from relegated or distressed clubs: think back to how we lost Tom Lockyer to Luton at the beginning of last season.

Think about Yann K
  • From a pompey paper 

Seems naive if true.
  • DA9 said:
    FFS, only on CL can a football transfer rumours thread turn into a discussion about Soviet agricultural policy 
    Yeah, but we can also help you with your plumbing problem and how to get a better deal with Sky. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!