Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• From a pompey paper 

Charlton not happy with his agent or PNE .... saying they have  a gentleman’s agreement fee wages agent fee before player went of on family holiday and there understanding is that’s still in place for the player to sign on his return .... ??
    Seems naive if true.
    If it is true.  Wouldn't be surprised if the agent is still trying to get a better deal, especially if he or she has the back up of the Charlton deal already on the table.   

But verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on.

If the deal is not 100% done, then it's 0% done

WIOTOS
    The agent's job is to get their client the best possible deal, no more or less than that. If there is no legally binding contract saying otherwise then not only are they within their rights to keep looking, but it would be expected of them.
  • If we've let one of the best most in demand strikers in L1 go one holiday with only a verbal agreement and then lose him then we deserve exactly what we get... how amateur! 
  • Maccn05 said:
    If we've let one of the best most in demand strikers in L1 go one holiday with only a verbal agreement and then lose him then we deserve exactly what we get... how amateur! 
    Would you have not let him go on holiday? How do we know he hasn’t told Charlton he wants to go on holiday to think things through! Is it unreasonable that a player wants time to get things sorted?

• Maccn05 said:
    If we've let one of the best most in demand strikers in L1 go one holiday with only a verbal agreement and then lose him then we deserve exactly what we get... how amateur! 
    Would you have not let him go on holiday? How do we know he hasn’t told Charlton he wants to go on holiday to think things through! Is it unreasonable that a player wants time to get things sorted?
    Of course I'm not and your just being antagonistic with that statement.

The rumour shared was... Charlton not happy with his agent or PNE .... saying they have  a gentleman’s agreement fee wages agent fee before player went of on family holiday and there understanding is that’s still in place for the player to sign on his return

In no business do you let your biggest deal or target target agree the deal but go away without doing the deal.

It's typical of us get caught sleeping or being too conservative and this looks to be another example of this.
  • Surprised that Huddersfield are letting Alex Pritchard go.
    Remember him playing for Norwich City in midfield.
    Never played outside the prem. or championship. 
    Sill only 28.
    I'm not. They signed him in their Premier League and he's on unsustainable money for them. He's also been pretty wretched for them in the Championship despite dropping a level
  • I'm pretty sure when clubs issue the players they have released that it is only players they have no intention of signing!

They don't put on the list the players they are trying to keep!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    supaclive said:
    I'm pretty sure when clubs issue the players they have released that it is only players they have no intention of signing!

Yes they do.  They have to.  Retained and released are out dated terms due to bosman. 
  • supaclive said:
    I'm pretty sure when clubs issue the players they have released that it is only players they have no intention of signing!

Unless that player has said they aren't going to sign under any circumstances which is the only explanation for Pigott being on AFC's list.
  • Maccn05 said:

Maccn05 said:

The rumour shared was... Charlton not happy with his agent or PNE .... saying they have  a gentleman’s agreement fee wages agent fee before player went of on family holiday and there understanding is that’s still in place for the player to sign on his return

In no business do you let your biggest deal or target target agree the deal but go away without doing the deal.

It's typical of us get caught sleeping or being too conservative and this looks to be another example of this.
    What exactly are you suggesting we did?! He was only ever on loan here and is still under contract to another team so we have absolutely no leverage except him wanting to be here (or not.)
  • thenewbie said:
    Maccn05 said:

Maccn05 said:

What exactly are you suggesting we did?! He was only ever on loan here and is still under contract to another team so we have absolutely no leverage except him wanting to be here (or not.)
    Exactly.

We offered and agreed a deal which for all we know he is signing as I type. (That's not a rumour).

WIOTOS
  • Maccn05 said:

Maccn05 said:

What are the other examples of us getting caught sleeping or being too conservative?

If there are any they’re irrelevant now as they’d have been under previous ownerships. This is the first window TS has had where he’s not limited by a salary cap.

It’s still early June, very few transfers have been confirmed and many players will have been on holiday. Players will want time to consider their offers and get the best deal possible.

I’m sure news will start coming through over the next couple of weeks. The aim will be to get the majority done as early as possible, ideally before preseason training starts.
  • Trouble is in previous season, we didn’t have the money, and players come to the club because they wanted to.. but now, they know we have money, and agents know that too, so are going to play us off against other clubs to get the best deals for the players..

I don’t see much changing this year, lots of loans, few free signings. Maybe 1 or 2 fees paid 
  • Maccn05 said:

Maccn05 said:

so you would force a player to sign through aggression? I wonder how that tactic would work out

as i said originally, how do we know that Stockley hasn't told Charlton he needs and wants time to think things through.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Steady. I can't be sure if I'm about to be WHOOOOSHED! here. :smile:

But anyhow .....

1) Stockley is a Preston player, under contract.
    They may well be happy to let him go but they will want a fee ...... the largest fee they can get.

2) We may have a fixed value of how much we are willing to pay Preston.
    Portsmouth ( or any other club) may make a higher offer, which Preston may want.

3) We may have a verbal/gentleman's agreement with Stockley to sign - and the player be desperate to do so.
    But he's still Preston's player, he's not a free agent.

And of course the player's agent is charged with getting the best deal for Stockley.
    But remember Stockley is under contract at Preston - and Preston will be calling the shots.

Preston will not be calling all the shots, and nor will the agent. 
    Stockley can make it clear where he wants to go and he does not have to leave. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Steady. I can't be sure if I'm about to be WHOOOOSHED! here. :smile:

But anyhow .....

1) Stockley is a Preston player, under contract.
    They may well be happy to let him go but they will want a fee ...... the largest fee they can get.

2) We may have a fixed value of how much we are willing to pay Preston.
    Portsmouth ( or any other club) may make a higher offer, which Preston may want.

3) We may have a verbal/gentleman's agreement with Stockley to sign - and the player be desperate to do so.
    But he's still Preston's player, he's not a free agent.

And of course the player's agent is charged with getting the best deal for Stockley.
    But remember Stockley is under contract at Preston - and Preston will be calling the shots.

Preston will not be calling all the shots, and nor will the agent. 
    Stockley can make it clear where he wants to go and he does not have to leave. 
    But if Preston change their mind over Charlton's offer of say 400k, because Pompey have offered 500k, he can't make them accept it either.

In that scenario it would be a choice of going to Pompey or staying at PNE
  • Rothko said:
    Being serious here for a second, the club is just acting like it did in the Curbs years, where very little leaked out until the deal was pretty much done. 
    Well it either leaked that it was "agreed" else the poster made it up or was misinformed. 
  • Maccn05 said:

Maccn05 said:

so you would force a player to sign through aggression? I wonder how that tactic would work out

as i said originally, how do we know that Stockley hasn't told Charlton he needs and wants time to think things through.
    Where did say anything about forced aggression LOL that’s brilliantly imagined 

I’m a Sales Director and I or a member of my team have done a deal I get it agreed in writing so it can’t be renaged on without a penalty or renegotiated without mutual agreement.

All I’m saying if we’ve done that then it’s poor negotiating on our part. The deal could have been completed before he was on holiday (maybe it actually has and this is all rumours) like other deals have been in L1, the window doesn’t have to be open to sign players.

If the above has happened we’ve let a rival come in a potentially steal him or cost us more … that’s bad business! Simple!

Its also worth saying he’s been here for months so we’ve had plenty of time to make him an offer and for him to decide does he want to come.

The original rumour stated he had made a verbal agreement so if we don’t sign him it’s suggests he’s broken that agreement.

If we have lost, what we assume is our number one target then it doesn’t bode well for our budget or expertise in the market.
  • edited June 2021
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/portsmouth-take-step-forward-in-transfer-race-with-charlton-and-ipswich/
    Pompey been given permission to speak to Stockley, according to this article. 

If this is the case then I’m lost for words! A player on loan with us last season, says he wants to sign and then we lose out to a promotion rival, f*****g ridiculous. 
  • Is FootballLeagueWorld even a reliable source?
  • https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/portsmouth-take-step-forward-in-transfer-race-with-charlton-and-ipswich/
    Pompey been given permission to speak to Stockley, according to this article. 

If this is the case then I’m lost for words! A player on loan with us last season, says he wants to sign and then we lose out to a promotion rival, f*****g ridiculous. 
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All that would mean is Pompey have matched the asking price that Preston have for Stockley and are allowed to discuss a move. It doesn't mean we have or will lose out on him. The club will let the player speak to any clubs who match their asking price, then it's up to the player to chose where he goes. If we wants to come here then he will, and if not then there's nothing we could do about it. I'm sure we will find out soon enough though.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!