Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• redbuttle said:
    J BLOCK said:
    cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    Can’t see us spending much, if anything at all. So many free transfers available 
    Based on...?
    Let's face facts. None of us know what the transfer budget is, who we are going to sign or whether we have already signed players. So let's just wait and see...
    Which when you think about it is how a proper club is run. The last few years has seen us run by a band of bullshitters happy to mouth off about transfers. 
    Hopefully the current smt are doing it cloak and danger to nail top signings before others do. 
  • Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    J BLOCK said:
    cabbles said:
    Does anyone know if we are likely to have funds available for transfer fees this summer, or are we looking at mainly signing frees?
    Can’t see us spending much, if anything at all. So many free transfers available 
    Based on...?
    Let's face facts. None of us know what the transfer budget is, who we are going to sign or whether we have already signed players. So let's just wait and see...
    Which when you think about it is how a proper club is run. The last few years has seen us run by a band of bullshitters happy to mouth off about transfers. 
    Hopefully the current smt are doing it cloak and danger to nail top signings before others do. 
    TBF I don't think it was RD and KM leaking.....

George Johnson has signed for Bolton, he was one I was hoping we would have a look at. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    cabbles said:
    Based on...?
    Just an opinion. We’ve never spent a lot of money and I don’t think it will change this window. 

Post pandemic there’s certainly going to be less money spent, add on all the quality free agents available I can see us being very shrewd in that market. 

I’d hazard a guess that if you’re waiting for us to buy all the best League One/Two players then you might be disappointed with our business. Who knows though, we could outspend everyone
  • Oggy Red said:
    SexyDave said:
    Perhaps with the season just finishing a lot of the players have been on their holidays?! It's like everyone is part of the millennial generation where they need everything here and now at the click of a button. 
    Yeah, exactly. I can't wait to read all about Charlton's new signings when I buy the "Kentish Independent" on Thursdays.

Peter Cordwell always had all the hot stories and snippets. :smile:

Peter Burrowes at the K.I. surely.

• I will inevitably be underwhelmed with any signings from fellow league one sides. I want more but don’t expect more. 

A ‘name’ dropping down to us from a higher league is potentially more interesting / exciting as is a loan signing of a premier league starlet or a hitherto unknown foreign player. 

But the reality is until we start next season and see if we have a strong and better balanced squad we just won’t know. 

League One transfers are unlikely to be inspiring in the close season 
  • Oggy Red said:
    SexyDave said:
    Perhaps with the season just finishing a lot of the players have been on their holidays?! It's like everyone is part of the millennial generation where they need everything here and now at the click of a button. 
    Yeah, exactly. I can't wait to read all about Charlton's new signings when I buy the "Kentish Independent" on Thursdays.

Peter Cordwell was Sports Editor, wasn't he?

Scoop was a 'mere' reporter, spending half of his time moonlighting for LBC Radio. 

I think. :smile:

• It's been very quiet.

Can't the club just announce we've signed 'Matt Smith', then we can sit back and watch the press try to work out which one 
    And most of Charlton Life!

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    SexyDave said:

Peter Cordwell was Sports Editor, wasn't he?

Scoop was a 'mere' reporter, spending half of his time moonlighting for LBC Radio. 

I think. :smile:

Cordwell was the guy at the Mercury  :)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:
    I'm sure there are some diamonds in the released list but we do not need aging "names". We need young players that can grow with us - imo we should steer well clear of the likes of assombalonga. We have all the experience we need in the squad already , what we don't have are the hungry young players to develop 
    Conversely we need to get out this league ASAP no point developing players for 2 or 3 years time quite yet.  At least not more than a handful.

I would be shocked if we were even remotely intrested is Assombalonga but we need 6 or 7 "oven ready" players.  

You mean like the oven ready deals they are a figment of our leader's imagination.  
    No cos this has got fuck all to do with that you absolute pilchard.   I don't think I have ever publicly called anyone a nincompoop before, so there is that.

You nincompoop. 
  • Unless we’re going to offering championship wages (which I doubt) can’t see cousins coming back here to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• SamE7 said:
    It's no coincidence (to me) that since certain people have had their duties changed there are no leaks
    I don’t know Sam, still plenty of people wetting their pants we haven’t signed anyone yet, me included….
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:
    I'm sure there are some diamonds in the released list but we do not need aging "names". We need young players that can grow with us - imo we should steer well clear of the likes of assombalonga. We have all the experience we need in the squad already , what we don't have are the hungry young players to develop 
    Conversely we need to get out this league ASAP no point developing players for 2 or 3 years time quite yet.  At least not more than a handful.

I would be shocked if we were even remotely intrested is Assombalonga but we need 6 or 7 "oven ready" players.  

I think this is essentially what bowyer tried to do on the cheap last summer. Hopefully a better budget means we can attract better experienced/ready players if we go down that route. Personally I am hoping we recruit similar to Powell in 2011
  • jams said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:

I think this is essentially what bowyer tried to do on the cheap last summer. Hopefully a better budget means we can attract better experienced/ready players if we go down that route. Personally I am hoping we recruit similar to Powell in 2011
    Yeah but the ones that made the impact for Powell were, by and large experinaced players.  Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison, Yann etc weren't "ones for the future" they were all ones for the now.

The Pope, Smith, Bover etc were ones for the future that had zero impact on our promotion.

Maybe Stephens, Wiggins and Morrison could have "grown with us" but it's not like Euall, Hughes, Alonso and Taylor would have.

We need the now, now, anything else is a bonus. 
  • edited June 2021
    I heard that Shaun Sithole,  released by Fleetwood, is a Millwall target....
    Well he’s just an h short of the perfect move.
    23 Lols and 2 likes for a whoosh yet I get nothing? Seems harsh.... ;-)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:

I'd be shocked but in a positive way. He would be very good in League One.
  • edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:

I'd be shocked but in a positive way. He would be very good in League One.
    I worry about signing players on a downward trend. Of course some players just need a change of scenery to rediscover what they had but there’s plenty of Ben Watson and Chris Gunter types out there too. Which category would Assombalonga fall into?

I’d much prefer to be looking for younger & hungrier talents on the rise that can grow with the club and eventually be sold on for a nice chunk of cash.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    jams said:

Yeah but the ones that made the impact for Powell were, by and large experinaced players.  Hollands, Wiggins, Morrison, Yann etc weren't "ones for the future" they were all ones for the now.

The Pope, Smith, Bover etc were ones for the future that had zero impact on our promotion.

Maybe Stephens, Wiggins and Morrison could have "grown with us" but it's not like Euall, Hughes, Alonso and Taylor would have.

We need the now, now, anything else is a bonus. 
    Fair point.

I just don't want a load of players that are past it
  • edited June 2021
    Thomas Lane talking absolutely nonsense. Would much rather have Stockley over Wyke and Bishop. Pigott isn’t signing for Ipswich either so why he’s in the conversation I’m not sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think what even this early period of the summer is showing is this league could be bloody hard this season and we may end up really regretting not making the Bowyer / Adkins change a bit earlier

• Wigan - being linked and signing good players (Whatmough & Scott Fraser)
    • Ipswich -  already made 3 good signing (Wes Burns, Lee Evans)
    • Pompey and Sunderland like us are yet to make a move but have cleared out their squad for signings & Sunderland have their rich young billionaire
    • Wycombe and Rotherham - both went close in the Championship have excellent managers and are unlikely to lose many
    • Bolton - making signings (Afolayan, Sheehan, Johnston) lots of momentum, big club that I think could be this year's Blackpool
    • Will Oxford, Lincoln and MK continue to challenge or even improve
    • Wednesday - Who bloody knows what they will end being
    Basically it looks flipping tough and if we don't get our recruitment right and match the above we could be stuck for years again. I'm not worried yet as it's super early but hearing Stockley linked with Pompey does give me an 'uh oh' feeling given it was rumored to be already done.

A couple of impressive singings this week would really settle the nerves :)

• Oggy Red said:
    SexyDave said:

In the old days living in Sheffield I knew nothing. My nan used to save all of the 'Charlton relevant' press cuttings from the Mercury and post them up to me. 
  • announce Stockley 
  • Thomas Lane talking absolutely nonsense. Would much rather have Stockley over Wyke and Bishop. Pigott isn’t signing for Ipswich either so why he’s in the conversation I’m not sure.
    Not to mention the reason that Pigott | Wyke | Bishop are probably linked with Championship clubs over Stockley is the fact that they'll be unknowns in the Championship. Clubs dont know if they'll succeed or flop, whereas Stockley has been there and teams may feel he isnt worth the risk.
  • Thomas Lane talking absolutely nonsense. Would much rather have Stockley over Wyke and Bishop. Pigott isn’t signing for Ipswich either so why he’s in the conversation I’m not sure.
    Not to mention the reason that Pigott | Wyke | Bishop are probably linked with Championship clubs over Stockley is the fact that they'll be unknowns in the Championship. Clubs dont know if they'll succeed or flop, whereas Stockley has been there and teams may feel he isnt worth the risk.
    I am not sure that's completely true with Stockley.  He is like Williams in a way, in the sense that he is very good at something, and pretty poor at everything else.

If Stockley had played the season for Sunderland in place of Wyke he would have scored as many, if not more, goals.  If he played for a team set up like that in the championship he would score a lot of goals.  If you don't set up like that he ends up being an impact sub or plan C at best.

Even last season with us Stockley scored goals and look decent but the team still wasn't set up to maximise his strengths. 
  • Anyone else and I'd think that last bit was a clever play on words
    Could be… well…no you’re right.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!