Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Doncaster left back Reece James has joined Blackpool. 
    That's a shame, he'd have improved us for sure. 
    Along with Connor Ogilvie he would have been my first joint choice left back of those available on frees.

See above for the debates around Cameron Borthwick Jackson and Declan John.

I am assuming that Charlie Daniels and Stephen Ward will be considered too old. 
    I recall Cameron Borthwick-Jackson scoring twice for Scunthorpe against us early in the promotion season .. we lost 5-3 .. the only goals he scored for the Irons and he's scored 2 since ((:>)
    I agree that his career has been patchy to say the least.

I just feel that he could be a risk worth taking. 
  • Devante Cole to Barnsley is a strange one.

Scored less than 1 in 5 at a lower level and is now 26.
  • Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Along with Connor Ogilvie he would have been my first joint choice left back of those available on frees.

I recall Cameron Borthwick-Jackson scoring twice for Scunthorpe against us early in the promotion season .. we lost 5-3 .. the only goals he scored for the Irons and he's scored 2 since ((:>)

Scrub that.

He has just joined Burton. 
  • Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

Scrub that.

He has just joined Burton. 

but the window isn't open yet ;-))
  • George Moncur to Hull and Josh Sheehan to Bolton have been announced.

Both of these have been mentioned on here as possibles but neither were genuine rumours. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Devante Cole to Barnsley is a strange one.

I'll guess that Daryl Dike will be on the move and they need a big(ish) man up front to play the same role .. he was there on loan a few years back with some success .. he seems to run hot and then VERY cold as a striker
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I'll guess that Daryl Dike will be on the move and they need a big(ish) man up front to play the same role .. he was there on loan a few years back with some success .. he seems to run hot and then VERY cold as a striker
    DD has gone back yo the States hasn't he? 
  • https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breaking-port-vale-andy-crosby-5503152

so won't be teaming up with Adkins then. Leaves Stills and Nash as other options ….

Interesting and pleasing, I was convinced he'd be back with Adkins and Jackson would either be demoted or moved on. Does Adkins necessarily need any more backroom staff if Jacko and Euell are staying put?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Just seen a news clip .. he was on loan to Barnsley and has gone back to Orlando .. strangely, Barnsley turned down an option to buy him .. USMNT's Daryl Dike returning to Orlando City after Barnsley loan (espn.co.uk)

• Sponsored links:

• One of the click bait sites is suggesting Jack Bonham from Gillingham as a possible keeper.

I haven't been impressed with him when I have seen him play. Didn't he have a couple of high profile errors in his Watford and Brentford days? 
  • https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breaking-port-vale-andy-crosby-5503152

so won't be teaming up with Adkins then. Leaves Stills and Nash as other options ….

Bring in Young & you have the full kaboodle. An American Dream......
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Just seen a news clip .. he was on loan to Barnsley and has gone back to Orlando .. strangely, Barnsley turned down an option to buy him .. USMNT's Daryl Dike returning to Orlando City after Barnsley loan (espn.co.uk)

Because the option to buy was for $20m
  • RedChaser said:
    London isn't 90 miles from Bexley.
    It’s more than that if you do a full lap of the M25 and then come off where you joined it at Swanley before heading up the A20 😉
    Valley Express route 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

On yer bike Dike. :smile:

• Been told we have made contact with Morecambe over their winger Gomes, but several Championship clubs also interested.

At least we seem to be looking to shop in the right store.
    How good do we really think he is? I remember when we were first linked with players like Green and Ajose and many thought we had no chance as there’d be Championship interest.

Unless there’s no doubt he’s ready to make an impact in the Championship then he may want to come to a L1 side going for promotion where he’ll get regular game time and it’s a smaller step up.
  • Scoham said:
    Been told we have made contact with Morecambe over their winger Gomes, but several Championship clubs also interested.

How good do we really think he is? I remember when we were first linked with players like Green and Ajose and many thought we had no chance as there’d be Championship interest.

Unless there’s no doubt he’s ready to make an impact in the Championship then he may want to come to a L1 side going for promotion where he’ll get regular game time and it’s a smaller step up.
    No idea, never seen him play. Seems to have done quite well this season looking at his goals and assists. That often doesn't paint the full picture as we well know.

Seems a good age to develop further though.
  • If Stockley doesn’t join us it doesn’t mean we’ve been slow, lax or anything else. What it means is that the player has got a better deal or has decided that the move suits him better. We will have a budget on what we are prepared to go to for the player and if Portsmouth or anyone else are willing to pay PNE or the player more then good for them. That’s how it works. 
    Whilst you are of course 100% right in what you say, if Stockley does join Pompey because they gave him a better offer you could argue it doesn't say much for Sandgaard's five year plan to reach the Premier league if we're losing out on signings in league one to a club who've been at this level or lower for the past 10 years.
    Could you? That assumes Adkins actually wants him.
  • Scoham said:
    Been told we have made contact with Morecambe over their winger Gomes, but several Championship clubs also interested.

No idea, never seen him play. Seems to have done quite well this season looking at his goals and assists. That often doesn't paint the full picture as we well know.

He is "the type" of player that a lot of people, on this forum, seem very keen on.  The two Exeter lads being another example.

I also see a lot of throw back to 2011 and what we did or didn't do 10 years ago.

Did we sign a single player (who was signed for the first team) who hadn't played at least 1 season, very recently, in league 1?  I can't think of one.

I am not passing judgement on him because I have never seen him play but we would only want one or two of this type, not seven or eight, wouldn't we? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

He is "the type" of player that a lot of people, on this forum, seem very keen on.  The two Exeter lads being another example.

I also see a lot of throw back to 2011 and what we did or didn't do 10 years ago.

Did we sign a single player (who was signed for the first team) who hadn't played at least 1 season, very recently, in league 1?  I can't think of one.

I am not passing judgement on him because I have never seen him play but we would only want one or two of this type, not seven or eight, wouldn't we? 
    Could call it questionable if he was First Team but Mikel Alonso - The god that is Yann was another, Jason Euell too but then he was definitely a fringe player
  • Been told we have made contact with Morecambe over their winger Gomes, but several Championship clubs also interested.

Wasn't impressed in the playoff final.
    He scored a penalty.

Same here. I think we can do better.
  • If Stockley doesn’t join us it doesn’t mean we’ve been slow, lax or anything else. What it means is that the player has got a better deal or has decided that the move suits him better. We will have a budget on what we are prepared to go to for the player and if Portsmouth or anyone else are willing to pay PNE or the player more then good for them. That’s how it works. 
    Whilst you are of course 100% right in what you say, if Stockley does join Pompey because they gave him a better offer you could argue it doesn't say much for Sandgaard's five year plan to reach the Premier league if we're losing out on signings in league one to a club who've been at this level or lower for the past 10 years.
    That is a very valid point. We are all wetting our knickers re Stockley, myself included, I thought he did brilliantly for us last season and for me has exactly the right sort of attitude that we should be trying to promote within the team. However that doesnt mean he fits into the team that Adkins wants to develop does it ?
  • Scoham said:

I've seen him three times and he's impressed every time. Including turning up in the play off final, played well although he wasn't superb. I know he's had admirers and I feel he'd be a great signing. 

That's not saying anything, has anything actually ever impressed you? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Could call it questionable if he was First Team but Mikel Alonso - The god that is Yann was another, Jason Euell too but then he was definitely a fringe player
    I thought that as soon as I posted it, I would have been better saying AT LEAST league 1.

All 3 of those had played at a higher level, Alonso and Euall a much higher. 
  • edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I thought that as soon as I posted it, I would have been better saying AT LEAST league 1.

All 3 of those had played at a higher level, Alonso and Euall a much higher. 
    Bradley Pritchard in that case ;)

Id agree again though and question if Pritchard (the day he was signed) was ever brought in as a First-Team player

He really must have exceeded expectations
  • AndyG said:
    If Stockley doesn’t join us it doesn’t mean we’ve been slow, lax or anything else. What it means is that the player has got a better deal or has decided that the move suits him better. We will have a budget on what we are prepared to go to for the player and if Portsmouth or anyone else are willing to pay PNE or the player more then good for them. That’s how it works. 
    That is a very valid point. We are all wetting our knickers re Stockley, myself included, I thought he did brilliantly for us last season and for me has exactly the right sort of attitude that we should be trying to promote within the team. However that doesnt mean he fits into the team that Adkins wants to develop does it ?
    It certainly could be argued that as good as he is in the air, having Stockley up front does tend to result in fairly simple football: long ball forward towards the big guy. Which is effective and worked for us but maybe Adkins has a different plan.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!