Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Been told we have made contact with Morecambe over their winger Gomes, but several Championship clubs also interested.

At least we seem to be looking to shop in the right store.
    How good do we really think he is? I remember when we were first linked with players like Green and Ajose and many thought we had no chance as there’d be Championship interest.

Unless there’s no doubt he’s ready to make an impact in the Championship then he may want to come to a L1 side going for promotion where he’ll get regular game time and it’s a smaller step up.
    No idea, never seen him play. Seems to have done quite well this season looking at his goals and assists. That often doesn't paint the full picture as we well know.

Seems a good age to develop further though.
    He is "the type" of player that a lot of people, on this forum, seem very keen on.  The two Exeter lads being another example.

I also see a lot of throw back to 2011 and what we did or didn't do 10 years ago.

Did we sign a single player (who was signed for the first team) who hadn't played at least 1 season, very recently, in league 1?  I can't think of one.

I am not passing judgement on him because I have never seen him play but we would only want one or two of this type, not seven or eight, wouldn't we? 
    Could call it questionable if he was First Team but Mikel Alonso - The god that is Yann was another, Jason Euell too but then he was definitely a fringe player
    I thought that as soon as I posted it, I would have been better saying AT LEAST league 1.

All 3 of those had played at a higher level, Alonso and Euall a much higher. 
    Bradley Pritchard in that case ;)
    Exactly not a squad full. Ideally I would want one or two.  We need a combination of "league 1 superstars" and top quality loans.  They have been the back bone of or last two promotions and what we were lacking last season.

Not a gamble on a bunch of kids that have never played at this level. 
  • Regarding gomes maybe this is another thing we are looking at replicating the likes of brentford and peterborough who have had massive success over the last few years of picking up lower league gems nurturing them for a season or 2 and selling on for huge profits

i think this is 100% the type of player we need to be looking at young hungry fresh and have had a bit of recent success
    It took Peterborough nearly ten years to get promoted though.  If we didn't get promoted (from league 1) and sold our best player every season there would be up roar.

As I have said before you can look to do that once your in the championship. 
  • Regarding gomes maybe this is another thing we are looking at replicating the likes of brentford and peterborough who have had massive success over the last few years of picking up lower league gems nurturing them for a season or 2 and selling on for huge profits

i think this is 100% the type of player we need to be looking at young hungry fresh and have had a bit of recent success
    So hungry he appeared to be half starved . The technical term us lightweight I believe. 
    Wasnt starving all season, look at his goals and assists? Or are you judging him by one game, where he wasn't good at all, just scaring the opposition and scoring the winner. 

So hungry he appeared to be half starved . The technical term us lightweight I believe. 
    What a weird comment.
  • If the idea of signing Carlos Mendes Gomes doesn't excite you then I don't know why you bother tbh. We probably can't do better, we are a league 1 club right now and he has championship level clubs after him and Rangers. Would be a real coup for us if we managed it, which I doubt

I would love to know who we could get that is better and is a realistic target? 
    Absolutely agree , would be a fantastic signing if we can make it happen. Don't think we could realistically do much better as I think the likes of Joel Randall are out of our budget. 
  • edited June 2021
    If the idea of signing Carlos Mendes Gomes doesn't excite you then I don't know why you bother tbh. We probably can't do better, we are a league 1 club right now and he has championship level clubs after him and Rangers. Would be a real coup for us if we managed it, which I doubt

agreed .. he has been under the radar with 'unfashionable'  Morecambe .. got his football education in Spain at Atletico Madrid .. he's quick, clever and knows how to score ..  his coolly taken play off penalty suggests that has has plenty of bottle and steely resolve .. he'll do for me .. IF we are anywhere near where he wants to play his football
  • Sponsored links:

• IanJRO said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    If the idea of signing Carlos Mendes Gomes doesn't excite you then I don't know why you bother tbh. We probably can't do better, we are a league 1 club right now and he has championship level clubs after him and Rangers. Would be a real coup for us if we managed it, which I doubt

Absolutely agree , would be a fantastic signing if we can make it happen. Don't think we could realistically do much better as I think the likes of Joel Randall are out of our budget. 
    If  the likes of Joel Randall are out of our budget then the 5 year plan is even more fanciful than I thought. 
    He not out of our budget … but like so many of these players they think they should be in the championship … 99/100 will end up in league one once reality sets in 
  • If the idea of signing Carlos Mendes Gomes doesn't excite you then I don't know why you bother tbh. We probably can't do better, we are a league 1 club right now and he has championship level clubs after him and Rangers. Would be a real coup for us if we managed it, which I doubt

All good points but the guy hasn’t played for us before. We should be looking at Calum Harriet because he scored a hat trick for us 8 seasons ago!
    quite right .. nostalgia aint wot it used to be .. we need more semi retired and crippled ex Addicks back to bolster our promotion seeking squad ((:>)
  • IanJRO said:
    MarcusH26 said:

If  the likes of Joel Randall are out of our budget then the 5 year plan is even more fanciful than I thought. 
    He not out of our budget … but like so many of these players they think they should be in the championship … 99/100 will end up in league one once reality sets in 
    reality and over ambitious agents running out of options
  • edited June 2021
    Thought Josh Sheehan looked a player at Newport, probably the best midfielder in League 2 and on a free. Unless we’re fishing in a different pond, Bolton are sweeping up players I thought we’d be looking at. 

All good points but the guy hasn’t played for us before. We should be looking at Calum Harriet because he scored a hat trick for us 8 seasons ago!
    quite right .. nostalgia aint wot it used to be .. we need more semi retired and crippled ex Addicks back to bolster our promotion seeking squad ((:>)
    Yep. I think we should ask Jon Sullivan to give up being a realtor in Vegas to come back and sit on our bench to allow the Aussie kid to go on loan
  • IanJRO said:
    MarcusH26 said:

reality and over ambitious agents running out of options
    I wouldn't even say it's agents being over ambitious even. A good agent for a good enough player probably SHOULD be holding off and sounding out Championship options at least provisionally as there's still opportunities there. 

But Covid and it's effect on the finances of clubs means that (in theory) more players are probably going to have to settle for less for at least a while, but the exact details won't be clear just yet.

Someone like (purely for argument's sake) Millar probably would have had a championship team take a punt on him a few seasons ago. But now that might not necessarily be the case.
  • IanJRO said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Bowyer did say in January the fee Exeter was wanting for him was very steep given his lack of games.
  • IanJRO said:
    MarcusH26 said:

It depends what teams are asking for really. Exeter wanted £1m at last check, which is a huge amount of money for a 21 year old who has played 16 League Two games. There's a difference between us not being able to afford it and not being willing to blow that much money on a player. The fact is things are very, very different to how they were in 2011 and we can't just go around picking up loads of L1 talent on the cheap because in this market players aren't cheap anymore. I dread to think what someone like Dale Stephens or Danny Green would have cost in this market.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Joel Randall has played 16 league 2 games.  2 years ago he was on loan at Tiverton Town.

Apart from paper talk linking him to "big clubs" I don't understand what the excitement is about him.  Honestly has anyone seen him play?

If Callum Harriott hadn't already played for us people would be saying how good he was (having never seen him play) after his 9 goals for Colchester last season, more than Joel Randall Williams combined.  I am not for a minute suggesting we should sign him BTW. 

• Sponsored links:

• Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I didnt think it had. Apparently we wanted him in January but the wage cap stopped it. According to the article below he is a target of ours ?

Millwall utility man Shane Ferguson has revealed that he decided against signing a new deal with the club as he wants to go and play regular football elsewhere. Ferguson does not want to sit on the bench next season and is now on the lookout for a new club. He told London News Online:
  • edited June 2021
    He’s only played a dozen or so games but all the important metrics for a winger, he excels. Not saying we should base transfer policy solely on stats (hello Tommy D) and he should also pass the eye test. But trust me, Harriott didn’t have nearly as good numbers as this kid.

His xG/shot, touches in opposition area, xG assisted and passing completion percentage are all hugely impressive. He also doesn’t lose the ball a massive amount, while also doing a good job of winning the ball back for his team.
  • edited June 2021
    Transfer fees are so hard to get a good gut fee on these days. I know he has premier league experience but Villa just signed a player from Norwich who were in the Championship last season for 40m. If Championship players can be valued at that amount, is 1m for a league 2 player that outrageous? Ivan Toney went for >5 m in League 1 having only broken 20 goals in a season once in his career. It comes down to how good is Joel Randall (I have no idea on that one) but if he is good enough for League One with potential to become a good Championship player, 1 m doesn't seem that much anymore, thanks to transfer fee inflation.

The Brentford model involves selling players for more than you paid, but they've still been paying decent fees to get the players with the right potential to resell much higher later. You have to speculate to accumulate, you won't get many free transfers who will be valued at 10 to 20 m in 3 seasons.

Right. Buy five Randalls at £1m a piece. If one of them turns into a £10m player in two or three years, you’re covered and some.
  • edited June 2021
    So when do we start to worry then because all I keep seeing is other teams signing up the better players 
  •  Twine, he seems quality and absolutely no idea why he'd head to MK Dons. That probably frees us Scott Fraser for Wigan too.
  • edited June 2021
    FAVADDICK said:
    So when do we start to worry then because all I keep seeing is other teams signing up the better players 
    First day of the new season perhaps? - You're also acting as though we were interesting in Twine in the first place

Apart from a bit of fan hope, thats not exactly speculation, were we interested or are we going after bigger fish?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!