Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If Stockley doesn’t join us it doesn’t mean we’ve been slow, lax or anything else. What it means is that the player has got a better deal or has decided that the move suits him better. We will have a budget on what we are prepared to go to for the player and if Portsmouth or anyone else are willing to pay PNE or the player more then good for them. That’s how it works. 
    Whilst you are of course 100% right in what you say, if Stockley does join Pompey because they gave him a better offer you could argue it doesn't say much for Sandgaard's five year plan to reach the Premier league if we're losing out on signings in league one to a club who've been at this level or lower for the past 10 years.
    Pompey are being careful with their spending so I don’t see them throwing money around. If Stockley goes there it may be for other reasons and not purely money.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/danny-cowley-explains-portsmouths-position-on-the-futures-of-ben-close-and-craig-macgillivray-3240077
  • If Stockley doesn’t join us it doesn’t mean we’ve been slow, lax or anything else. What it means is that the player has got a better deal or has decided that the move suits him better. We will have a budget on what we are prepared to go to for the player and if Portsmouth or anyone else are willing to pay PNE or the player more then good for them. That’s how it works. 
    Whilst you are of course 100% right in what you say, if Stockley does join Pompey because they gave him a better offer you could argue it doesn't say much for Sandgaard's five year plan to reach the Premier league if we're losing out on signings in league one to a club who've been at this level or lower for the past 10 years.
    If Pompey are prepared to pay more, to PNE, Stockley or both, than Sandgaard/Adkins think he's worth, all that says is that we have a valuation and someone else thinks he's worth more.  Or do you want us to pay over the odds for players and have less to spend elsewhere?  It's not like Sandgaard is a bottomless pit of money and even if he was, there's no reason to spend money needlessly.  Look at the millions Man City wasted when they were first taken over.  One other thing to remember is 5/6 of every penny given to other clubs for their players is more money they can spend so overpaying for players currently at clubs in this division wouldn't help us at all.
  • A standard Charlton window, all piss and wind so far.

Hoping for a decent dump by August.
    so is @o@oohaahmortimer
    Window not open yet ...... 
  • Very good point overpay for one player every club we try to negotiate with will put there prices up as soon as we come in for their players.

so is @o@oohaahmortimer
    It should be its getting hot out....

so is @o@oohaahmortimer
    Been said so many times that’s irrelevant and signings can still be announced...
  • edited June 2021
    I have no problem with the fact we haven't signed anyone yet. It really doesn't matter.

We know that the club is going places and we're in a more stable position than we have been over the past decade.

We know we'll sign players - probably a lot of players. We know we don't have to shop at Lidl anymore. We know M&S are more expensive but these goods take time to buy as the queues are longer.

Enjoy the Euros everyone.

so is @o@oohaahmortimer
    your point being? As has been said on numerous occasions you don't need the window to be open to sign a player.
  • I'd be very surprised if there's not a lot more talking going on now. Those players whose contracts expire 30th June are only legally allowed to start negotiating with other British clubs from 1st June. Appreciate we all know some dodgy stuff goes on, but it's now that agents/players can do things properly so I do feel over the next week we will see a massive increase in signings. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Jack Bonham was an ever present for Gillingham last couple of seasons and has turned down a contract offer, 27 years old, so could be a good first choice if Amos doesn't re-sign.
  • Rothko said:

You just need to go outside, stay socially distanced, enjoy the sun and walk away from the internet. 
    #walkingsbrilliant #startagain?? 
  • Doncaster left back Reece James has joined Blackpool. 
  • 124 pages of nonsense in four weeks...

Just wait till tomorrow, expect that to go through the roof!!
  • I'd be very surprised if there's not a lot more talking going on now. Those players whose contracts expire 30th June are only legally allowed to start negotiating with other British clubs from 1st June. Appreciate we all know some dodgy stuff goes on, but it's now that agents/players can do things properly so I do feel over the next week we will see a massive increase in signings. 
     The agents are not bound by the same constraints before June 1st.
    No, but technically players (out of contract end of June) shouldn't be negotiating with other clubs until 1st June so you'd certainly expect a lot more talking going on at our level now. 
  • Richard J said:
    Doncaster left back Reece James has joined Blackpool. 
    That's a shame, he'd have improved us for sure. 
  • Richard J said:
    Along with Connor Ogilvie he would have been my first joint choice left back of those available on frees.

See above for the debates around Cameron Borthwick Jackson and Declan John.

I am assuming that Charlie Daniels and Stephen Ward will be considered too old. 
  • Sponsored links:

If Pompey are prepared to pay more, to PNE, Stockley or both, than Sandgaard/Adkins think he's worth, all that says is that we have a valuation and someone else thinks he's worth more.  Or do you want us to pay over the odds for players and have less to spend elsewhere?  It's not like Sandgaard is a bottomless pit of money and even if he was, there's no reason to spend money needlessly.  Look at the millions Man City wasted when they were first taken over.  One other thing to remember is 5/6 of every penny given to other clubs for their players is more money they can spend so overpaying for players currently at clubs in this division wouldn't help us at all.
    We're not talking about overpaying for players at clubs in our division. We're talking about potentially being outbid for Stockley.

I agree that every player has a valuation, but at the same time if i was TS i'd be prepared to go a little bit higher for a certain player if Adkins wants him, he fits the way he wants to play and lastly (but also importantly) prevents a promotion rival from signing him.

Say what you want about the player, the owner, the manager, the budget etc, but the fact is it'll be a blow if Stockley goes to Portsmouth instead of us. They get a solid striker at this level and we're back to square one.
    I was talking about overpaying for Stockley and overpaying for players in general, some of whom may be in the same division as us.
  • For god sake won’t anyone think of the children?!
  • Scoham said:
    I've had a look back when we made our signings in summer 2011. By this point we had signed one first team regular in Hollands, a squad player in Pritchard (but in reality came in with little or no expecations) and Sullivan as a back up goalkeeper.

Late June/early July is when it really got moving.

24 May Hollands and Pritchard
    31 May Sullivan
    21 Jun  Hayes, Evina and Alonso
    29 Jun  Stephens and Green
    30 Jun  Wiggins
    1   Jul   Taylor
    7   Jul   Morrison
    1   Aug Hamer and Hughes
    10 Aug Euell
    29 Aug Cort
    14 Sep Kermorgant

Thankyou for posting this

so 

3 in May
    6 in June 
    2 in July
    4 in August
    1 in September

• I wonder what meme Rich Cawley will use to reveal our big transfer catches ? 

What will replace the bowyer fish 🎣 
    🚶‍♀️ 🚶‍♀️ 🤩 
  • I'm going to worry about England in the Euros for now and worry about Charlton after that :)
  • The Premier League transfer market officially opens tomorrow, June 9th
  • Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Along with Connor Ogilvie he would have been my first joint choice left back of those available on frees.

See above for the debates around Cameron Borthwick Jackson and Declan John.

I am assuming that Charlie Daniels and Stephen Ward will be considered too old. 
    I recall Cameron Borthwick-Jackson scoring twice for Scunthorpe against us early in the promotion season .. we lost 5-3 .. the only goals he scored for the Irons and he's scored 2 since ((:>)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!