Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    We won’t be signing the other Matt Smith, he’s signed a new deal with Millwall.
    Perfect for a last day signing in January then. 

• Looks like he’s going Pompey 
  • Scoham said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Miller next?
    Not for me, too inconsistent. To get out of this league we need players who can perform consistently, or very close to it week after week, not every third game. 
    Is any L1 winger consistent? If they are they could be gone within a year.
    I watch the hi-light show on Quest each week and all the teams that got promoted i.e. Hull, Peterborough & Blackpool all seem to have consistently performing players, the same can be said about the teams that missed out in the play offs. McGeady is a winger isn't he? I know he was crap for us but Sunderland got him playing week after week at a very consistent level. 
  • PWADDICK said:

Looks like he’s going Pompey 
    Lots of click bait sites recycling the same story from two weeks ago.

WIOTOS
    They can have Jason we want his brother Jayden
  • PWADDICK said:

WIOTOS
    Football Insider get a lot right though
  • Scoham said:
    Rotherham players asked to go on furlough. They’ve rejected bids for our former striker Michael Smith and midfielder Matt Crooks. Ipswich are interested in Crooks, so he could possibly be on our list.
    How can footballers be put on furlough for the summer? It's not as if they clock off in May and return in August, there is 5/6 weeks of pre season training, and players may need to use the club's facilities during the summer
    How can they put their players on furlough then turn down offers for players !!!!!!! EFL got to step in 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Downes, close to signing for Barnsley, Dozzell close to signing for QPR... we aren't getting either of them.

Ballard linked with Blackpool & Blackburn... so we aren't getting him either.

I'm sure we'll get somebody in by August though.
    Again same question we’re we in for them in the first place ????
    So far every player who joined anyone in any league we have apparently missed out on ?????
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair that’s the first one that say they HAVE won the race for Stockley as opposed to are in for or are battling for 
  • PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:

WIOTOS
    If you throw a lot at the wall, then some will stick. 
  • edited June 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    To be fair that’s the first one that say they HAVE won the race for Stockley as opposed to are in for or are battling for 
    In the article, it says nowhere that Stockley has agreed a deal with them. Only that the bid was accepted by Preston.

Their phrasing of "fended off a number of clubs to land the striker" seems very odd in that context.

• PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:

WIOTOS
    And a lot wrong. Including player names 
  • PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:

WIOTOS
    Like his name, you mean?

WIOTOS
  • edited June 2021
    Footy insider usually reliable, Portsmouth closer to where he's from. I like Jayden but I always find that we played worse as a team when he played because he limited our play to long balls. Don't think he's an Adkins striker either...

Also note that the headline says the club's have reached an agreement, doesn't necessarily mean it's his preferred destination as I assume if we were to offer the same terms they'd accept that also? 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Footy insider usually reliable, Portsmouth closer to where he's from. I like Jayden but I always find that we played worse as a team when he played because he limited our play to long balls. Don't think he's an Adkins striker either...
    If he isn't a an Adkins striker why are we trying to sign him? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Great question, think he proved he's quite effective at league one level and wouldn't want to lose him to a rival? Otherwise not so sure...
  • edited June 2021
  • Adkins has always played with a target man and one up top. Hayes at Scunthorpe and Lambert at Southampton.

If we have lost out on Stockley, they need to get their credit cards out and sign Colby Bishop.
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Great question, think he proved he's quite effective at league one level and wouldn't want to lose him to a rival? Otherwise not so sure...
    If we are actually trying to sign him it will be to play, not sit on the bench or just to stop him going to Pompey. 

Either Adkins wants him or he gets no say or we haven't made a bid.

From what we know, the most likely scenario is Adkins does want him, therefore he must be "his type"? 
  • Scoham said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Miller next?
    Not for me, too inconsistent. To get out of this league we need players who can perform consistently, or very close to it week after week, not every third game. 
    Is any L1 winger consistent? If they are they could be gone within a year.
    I watch the hi-light show on Quest each week and all the teams that got promoted i.e. Hull, Peterborough & Blackpool all seem to have consistently performing players, the same can be said about the teams that missed out in the play offs. McGeady is a winger isn't he? I know he was crap for us but Sunderland got him playing week after week at a very consistent level. 
    Millar would look better if you only watched the highlights. He got quite a few assists by the end of the season and you could also argue he’d do more in a stronger side. We had one of Pratley or Watson in midfield for one thing.
  • ButtleJR said:

Also note that the headline says the club's have reached an agreement, doesn't necessarily mean it's his preferred destination as I assume if we were to offer the same terms they'd accept that also? 
    agree, we were doing so much better before he turned up …..
    I like Jayden as a player, just limited us to long ball when he started I thought. Remember there being a stat that we hadn't won when he'd scored up to a certain point? I'd still be happy if we signed him, just hope it's not to play on his own up top. 
  • Stockley did well for us, would be disappointing if we couldn't sign him. 
  • edited June 2021
    Stockley did well for us, would be disappointing if we couldn't sign him. 
    Everyone has their price as "they" say, including Stockley, I am sure that IF Nige was interested and IF we put in a bid that turns out to be a non starter, or negotiations fall short of our plans, then clearly not to be, we have our budget, which I am sure is healthy, which we must stick to.
    So great if he signs, I will be at the head of the queue to say welcome, but he is a player with his own agenda, so let's just stay focused, all will be fine I am sure as far as the squad is concerned.
  • Football League Weekley are currently running 3 different stories that Stockley is signing for us, Wednesday and Portsmouth.

Lancashire Post, Lancs Live, Yorkshire Live and Hampshire Live are all running rehashed versions of each other story with added opinions.

The source appears to be from the Preston end and they have received 2 bids, from us and Pompey.  The speculation comes from an interview with Cowley where he said:

"There are some players you can sign because they want to come home, who have the attributes and qualities you’re looking for in a player.  They become available because they are south coast boys, they love the area, live in the area and have family in the area.

Certainly when signing your more experienced players, location can be even more important - particularly if they have young families." 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!