Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pompey Twitter seem to think we’ve offered Stockley £6.5k a week and a big signing on fee - almost certainly nonsense but worth mentioning.
    That's a similar number to what we paid Lyle Taylor, I doubt it's far from the truth.  It is the sort of number you would be talking about for a "star striker" at a big league 1 club pre Covid. 
    I’d be surprised if it’s that much. On £6.5k a week, Stockley will either be our highest paid player by some way or we’re surprisingly frivolous with our spending. 

Who knows though, Sandgaard did say we’d blow right through League One…
    He wouldn't be, Watson and Gunter aren't on much less.  Washington and Gilbey are reported to be on a fair wack as well.

So paying Stockley £6.5k is frivolous and paying Taylor £6k is because Roland is a tight arse.........

(yes I know you didn't say that but, just saying) 
    I have absolutely no idea what the other players are on. I wouldn’t put too much faith in the likes of SalarySport, according to them we’re increasing Stockley’s wages to come here.

I’m just saying I’d be very surprised if we’re paying Stockley that much as we surely couldn’t/wouldn’t pay anyone else the same. 

I have no idea where to begin with the Lyle Taylor comment. I didn’t say spending £6.5k a week on Stockley alone is frivolous, I said matching that wage with other players, as well as Stockley, would be frivolous spending in my opinion.
    It was widely accepted that Taylor was on about 6k a week, when ever his contract, or a lack of a new one was discussed.  I have no idea if Taylor was on 6k a week but I would take an educated guess that it was very close either side.

Taylor wasn't our highest paid player either.

My point is that that's the going rate for good league 1 players.  Of course its far more than what they are actually worth.  But to suggest it's frivolous, or excessive, if we actually want to get promoted isn't true.

Roland spent far more on wages and was called a tight arse.  He spent it horrifically badly, but he did spend it. 
    Taylor was a striker at a small L1 club (Wimbledon)  who'd never played higher than that level in England. Thus it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we than paid a striker signed from the Championship a higher wage.
  • edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pompey Twitter seem to think we’ve offered Stockley £6.5k a week and a big signing on fee - almost certainly nonsense but worth mentioning.
    That's a similar number to what we paid Lyle Taylor, I doubt it's far from the truth.  It is the sort of number you would be talking about for a "star striker" at a big league 1 club pre Covid. 
    I’d be surprised if it’s that much. On £6.5k a week, Stockley will either be our highest paid player by some way or we’re surprisingly frivolous with our spending. 

He wouldn't be, Watson and Gunter aren't on much less.  Washington and Gilbey are reported to be on a fair wack as well.

So paying Stockley £6.5k is frivolous and paying Taylor £6k is because Roland is a tight arse.........

I have absolutely no idea what the other players are on. I wouldn’t put too much faith in the likes of SalarySport, according to them we’re increasing Stockley’s wages to come here.

I’m just saying I’d be very surprised if we’re paying Stockley that much as we surely couldn’t/wouldn’t pay anyone else the same. 

I have no idea where to begin with the Lyle Taylor comment. I didn’t say spending £6.5k a week on Stockley alone is frivolous, I said matching that wage with other players, as well as Stockley, would be frivolous spending in my opinion.
    It was widely accepted that Taylor was on about 6k a week, when ever his contract, or a lack of a new one was discussed.  I have no idea if Taylor was on 6k a week but I would take an educated guess that it was very close either side. 

Taylor wasn't our highest paid player either.

My point is that that's the going rate for good league 1 players.  Of course its far more than what they are actually worth.  But to suggest it's frivolous, or excessive, if we actually want to get promoted isn't true.

Roland spent far more on wages and was called a tight arse.  He spent it horrifically badly, but he did spend it. 
    Perhaps Taylor was on £6k a week, maybe he was on £10k. That was a completely different time, with a richer owner and before COVID came along and distorted the pyramid. Roland’s spending was unsustainable - the point is to now have a sustainable model for growth.

Again, I’m not saying paying him that money would be excessive, but if that’s the benchmark we’ve set for our first signing, it’s exactly what everyone else will expect to be paid - which would be frivolous spending. I have no issue with Stockley being our highest earner.

Roland was a tight arse. He was tight in the same way a friend can be tight by not lending you a fiver for petrol but still spends £500 on a night out. 
  • Great news on Stokkers if true! 

All this Stockley “U-turn” crap from the journos. He was waiting for us to agree a fee with Preston all along, it seems Pompey were plan b if it didn’t happen. 
  • edited June 2021
    These numbers are likely to be absolute crap anyway let's be honest here. Guesswork and supposition are all they are.

It's quite possible that one of the multiple guesses out there is actually fairly accurate but we don't know which.
  • Stockley is a good player. Much rather he was playing for us than against us. Wouldn’t be devastated if he moved to Pompey though either actually. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It was reported that Taylor chose Charlton who offered less than Sunderland, partly because  he preferred to stay in the London area. 
    and partly because he was a prick
  • Interested as to why people think we waited until last week to bid?  He was with us on loan and openly saying he wanted to join.  Why did we wait?  Not a criticism just interested to know why.
    the deal was done in May .. but we had to up the wages to 6k a week last week fee is 450,000 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Like been saying deal was done in May only last week we had to up the wages to 6k a week to get the deal done after games from his agent 
  • Pompey Twitter seem to think we’ve offered Stockley £6.5k a week and a big signing on fee - almost certainly nonsense but worth mentioning.
    Don't think that would be that wide of the mark. If TS has any ambition of getting out of this league them he'll have to be paying those sorts of amounts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    rumour is we have matched Pompey’s offer and it’s up to the player where he wants to go now.

I would like to think we have a slight advantage 
    Where's Del Roofer to continue his sweet talking Jayden ????
  • Sage said:
    Stockley will score 20 goals with good service from out wide.

I see a small flaw in your thinking.....

I've not seen a winger put in a decent cross since Ricky Holmes or Rhoys Wiggins. Too many players now are being played on the "wrong" side and are encouraged to cut inside onto their "right" foot - not to cross, but to shoot. When was the last time you saw a winger like Paddy Powell race down the wing, skip round a few tackles & then put a cross in, on the run, from close to the byline. Too many crosses nowdays are put in from a standing position & from around the corner of the box. Too easy for a defender to head away. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Like been saying deal was done in May only last week we had to up the wages to 6k a week to get the deal done after games from his agent 
    But we only want players who want to play for Charlton, not those only interested in the money.

Wibble.
  • Sage said:

I've not seen a winger put in a decent cross since Ricky Holmes or Rhoys Wiggins. Too many players now are being played on the "wrong" side and are encouraged to cut inside onto their "right" foot - not to cross, but to shoot. When was the last time you saw a winger like Paddy Powell race down the wing, skip round a few tackles & then put a cross in, on the run, from close to the byline. Too many crosses nowdays are put in from a standing position & from around the corner of the box. Too easy for a defender to head away. 
    Playing with inverted wingers or wingers on their wrong side as you put it has many benefits hence why it’s so popular right now.

1. It allows more players to join in around the CF and cause an overload on the opponent’s CB’s
    2. Allows the space to be created to allow your FB’s to come forward and deliver the crosses.
    3. opponents FB’s have to tackle on their weaker sides
    4. statistics suggests inswinging corners are harder to defend against 

Seems to work pretty well for the likes of Liverpool and Ajax if the personal are right so the FB’s become just as important as the wingers to supplying Stockley 👍🏼
  • edited June 2021
    Sage said:

I see a big flaw in his thinking... mainly that Jayden scored just 9 in 41 matches last year and just 4 in 35 the year before and will be 29 years old next season. If anyone wants to bet he scores 20 next season in all competitions I am willing to take that action from the other side.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
     Pompey offer was 2k a week, so we will be matching / bettering it 
    I find that virtually impossible to believe.
    I assume he is on £5K/£6K pw at Preston.
    I would imagine he is on more than that, we were paying 4ish in the championship and a lot of people thought that was an insult.

He cost a fee, a relatively big one, I would guess nearer to 10.  But I agree Pompey wouldn't seriously offer 2.
    I doubt he's on more than 5-6k at Preston. Remember they signed him from Exeter in league 2. What would he have been on there? 1500 a week? He will have jumped at the chance to earn 4k at Preston.

I don't believe Pompey have offered 5.5k a week, more realistic i think is they've offered 3.5-4k and we've gone in at maybe 4.5k
  • Interested as to why people think we waited until last week to bid?  He was with us on loan and openly saying he wanted to join.  Why did we wait?  Not a criticism just interested to know why.
    the deal was done in May .. but we had to up the wages to 6k a week last week fee is 450,000 
    If the deal was done, why up the wages?
  • Interesting that Portsmouth seem to be leaking a lot of transfer news, stadium development and we tried to get this player etc so it seems like the new owners are willing to spend and then all of a sudden how much he’s going to cost per week is being spoken about in public after they miss out. 

I think Stockley was always going to sign for us. 

Pre agreement signed is the funniest thing I’ve seen so far this window. What is one of those...you either sign a contract or don’t. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pompey Twitter seem to think we’ve offered Stockley £6.5k a week and a big signing on fee - almost certainly nonsense but worth mentioning.
    To be fair £6.5k pw is going to disappear very quickly if he's living in Bexley 
    On taxis getting out of Bexley. 
  • Interesting that Portsmouth seem to be leaking a lot of transfer news, stadium development and we tried to get this player etc so it seems like the new owners are willing to spend and then all of a sudden how much he’s going to cost per week is being spoken about in public after they miss out. 

Pre agreement signed is the funniest thing I’ve seen so far this window. What is one of those...you either sign a contract or don’t. 
    Reminds me of how Spurs and Levy play the game. Make sure a positive headline is in the media about what they’re doing to improve the club, then a week or so later, it’s apparently fallen through and it’s someone else’s fault. 

Reminds me of how Spurs and Levy play the game. Make sure a positive headline is in the media about what they’re doing to improve the club, then a week or so later, it’s apparently fallen through and it’s someone else’s fault. 
    I thought that exactly. Be "linked" with Griezmann and Bellingham, but the moves break down and they end up signing Che Adams and Juan Mata instead
  • If we kept Aneke to come off the bench and terrorise teams for the last 30 minutes of every game we'll be in a very good position. Although I doubt he'll want to stay as a bench warmer even if he does bag a lot of goals in the process. I'm looking forward to seeing who we're after in midfield /on the wing. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!