Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If we sign Mo, I think we will be in for a long hard season next year.
    Why? He lost his place this season but in 19/20 he scored 14 league goals in 27 starts and 2 sub appearances.

Not saying I want him to sign but the main reason his goalscoring has dropped off appears to be because he lost his place to Clarke-Harris who is perhaps more suited to playing as a lone striker in their 3-4-3 set up.
    Hadn't he scored 13 of those 14 by mid October though? 
    Fair point, I hadn’t looked at that.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=68830&season_id=152

This shows 10 by mid October, and a decent record until early December. During that time Maddison was also scoring regularly.

After that he stopped scoring but Posh themselves weren’t getting many results and has a few heavy defeats.

He then scored one more in February and didn’t play again (injured?).

Guess it comes down to whether he’s a good player who needs games to get going again or they’re right to sell him as he just went through a purple patch? Chris Dickson at Gillingham is a good example of that at this level.
    If Posh think the latter, then presumably the fee should be low...
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    For what it's worth, if Thomas does want even upper champ within the next 5 years then we should be aiming for better or at least more potential than eisa
    We need to get out of League One first. Attracting someone much better than Eisa will be very difficult. Even now it might. Getting a squad together that gets out of this division and has the potential to step up in numbers for The Championship will be even harder. Let’s take our hurdles when we get to them, with an eye for potential too.
  • Options
    Chuks has posted a video on his Instagram story with a few clips of the Valley and him in a charlton top with a ⏳ . I'm gonna guess he's staying based on that? 
    Saw that and I’d guess he’s going…time run out…
    I think its open to interpretation 

Could be 
    Time is running on it now..ie in negotiations
    Time is running out ie they need to get on with it as he is thinking about going elsewhere 
    Time has run out. He's off!

Note sure you can be sure of any of them cann you?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Why? He lost his place this season but in 19/20 he scored 14 league goals in 27 starts and 2 sub appearances.

Not saying I want him to sign but the main reason his goalscoring has dropped off appears to be because he lost his place to Clarke-Harris who is perhaps more suited to playing as a lone striker in their 3-4-3 set up.
    Hadn't he scored 13 of those 14 by mid October though? 
    Fair point, I hadn’t looked at that.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=68830&season_id=152

This shows 10 by mid October, and a decent record until early December. During that time Maddison was also scoring regularly.

After that he stopped scoring but Posh themselves weren’t getting many results and has a few heavy defeats.

He then scored one more in February and didn’t play again (injured?).

Guess it comes down to whether he’s a good player who needs games to get going again or they’re right to sell him as he just went through a purple patch? Chris Dickson at Gillingham is a good example of that at this level.
    I think really your buying, or not, based on a season in league 2 4 years ago. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    DMAC also put a rather hefty price on Maddison before he left for nothing.

Eisa still has at least one year left on his contract, possibly two. I agree that 700k is a lot, but they paid well over £1m for him and will be looking to recoup a chunk of that.

He had an injury early in the season and never really hit any form after that.
    His contract runs to 2023.

They're never getting 700k for him, i can't see any championship clubs being interested and not many league one clubs post-Covid are going to be spending that on a player. 

Peterborough might get lucky and someone with new money like Ipswich bid for him, but surely not 700k. I'd guess he'll go for something like 350-400k with perhaps some add ons based on promotion.
    I agree. Something like 300k up front, 100k if promoted, 100k if he scores 15+goals. If you sign him and that happens you've got yourself a pretty decent deal. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    arny23394 said:
    PopIcon said:
    DMAC also put a rather hefty price on Maddison before he left for nothing.

Eisa still has at least one year left on his contract, possibly two. I agree that 700k is a lot, but they paid well over £1m for him and will be looking to recoup a chunk of that.

He had an injury early in the season and never really hit any form after that.
    His contract runs to 2023.

They're never getting 700k for him, i can't see any championship clubs being interested and not many league one clubs post-Covid are going to be spending that on a player. 

Peterborough might get lucky and someone with new money like Ipswich bid for him, but surely not 700k. I'd guess he'll go for something like 350-400k with perhaps some add ons based on promotion.
    Ipswich are now owned by a pension fund, I don’t think they will be splashing the cash.
    I very much doubt a pension fund invested long term in a sustainable League One club!

Ipswich will be amongst the biggest spenders next season.
    I think the point is that they’ll lose money in league one and lose money in The Championship. How a pension fund squares that circle is beyond me. 
    That's a totally different argument, SHG - I too have serious misgivings and would not be too pleased if the buyers managed any of my investments.
    I find the Ipswich takeover baffling. It will be really interesting what they do this summer, whether they run a right ship or really go for it
    You would have to think there is some kind of tax break somewhere. Without an angle like that, it would surely be reckless for a pension fund to invest in a League One Football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With a blank team sheet how much would we have to spend to get a team that would get us up  question mark ..key board will not allow one.  would 20 million buy a winning team 
    I would say £5 million in league one would give you the highest of chances but of course it’s who is doing the buying 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The meetings at the club took place today I was just thinking how tough it must be to go into work and told your being released. I'm fortunate in that i have never faced that myself. But with a league one footballer it must be worrying as they may not get another club at the moment

I got fired (without good reason really) from a summer job temping at a vacuum cleaner factory when I was 18. I hated the job and was just doing it for some spending money before I went to University and it actually meant I got a much better job that I returned to each summer while at Uni. It was over 20 years ago. It still pisses me off when I think about it and it was horrible to be fired even though for me it worked out to be a good thing.
    I got fired by The Bugle Horn.  I'd shown up the manager by adding things up correctly when he said I hadn't so he accused me of dipping in the till.  Still, he paid me for my last day without me having to work.
    I too got fired from a hoover factory but I didn’t care because the job sucked. Sorry wrong thread.
  • Options
    With a blank team sheet how much would we have to spend to get a team that would get us up  question mark ..key board will not allow one.  would 20 million buy a winning team 
    If you cant get promoted from League One with £20m, you'd be in serious trouble as a Manager
    That's the funny thing with money, it's not always an indicator. Sheffield, Reading and Derby have shown that spending doesnt equate success. I think it's the overall environment rather than the managers tactics/motivation. Lucky for us I think we're cultivating a fantastic environment with the Adkins/Sandgaard partnership so lets hope we can attract some real talent. I know if I was a footballer in this League, I'd consider us the most desirable club being London based with these two at the helm.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    If you cant get promoted from League One with £20m, you'd be in serious trouble as a Manager
    That's the funny thing with money, it's not always an indicator. Sheffield, Reading and Derby have shown that spending doesnt equate success. I think it's the overall environment rather than the managers tactics/motivation. Lucky for us I think we're cultivating a fantastic environment with the Adkins/Sandgaard partnership so lets hope we can attract some real talent. I know if I was a footballer in this League, I'd consider us the most desirable club being London based with these two at the helm.
    But that’s because you are a Charlton supporter. Most players will listen to their agent and go where the money is. Of course that’s open to exceptions but I’d say that’s the main driver and who can really blame them.
  • Options
    More suggestions than rumours but a few players off the top of my head that have impressed me this year. Hoping Lincoln stay down so we can raid them in the window. 

Simms - Blackpool
    Lowery- Crewe
    Wintle - Crewe
    Dale - Crewe
    James - Doncaster
    Graham - Gillingham
    Dempsey - Gillingham
    Ennis - Plymouth (loan)
    Downes (Ipswich)
    Montsma (Lincoln)
    Grant (Lincoln)
    Edun (Lincoln)
    McGrandles (Lincoln)
    Pigott (Wimbledon)
    Fraser (MK Dons)
    Charles (Accrington)
    Bishop (Accrington)
    Twine (Swindon)
    Harness (Portsmouth)
    Tucker (Gillingham)
    CJ Hamilton (Blackpool)

Simms was on loan from Everton.......
    Yep I know, he'll probably get a Championship loan but he's been very good this year. 
  • Options
    The tricky thing with a big budget is getting the right sort of players to join a 3rd division side, especially if they're dropping down from the Championship.

Are they doing it because they see the club as an ambitious one who will get promoted straight away and then continue hopefully to the PL, and want to be part of this success OR are they seeing it as a chance of an easy payday in a lesser league?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    A WISH, NOT A RUMOUR ..
    IF we could get an out of contract Millwall player, Murray Wallace is the one to go for .. football playing defender who's been used recently at left back  .. few seasons back I used to see him at centre back for Scunthorpe .. wherever he plays in defence he is classy and consistent .. he's 6' 2" and 28 years old .. go Get him Adkins !!!!  :)
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    But that’s because you are a Charlton supporter. Most players will listen to their agent and go where the money is. Of course that’s open to exceptions but I’d say that’s the main driver and who can really blame them.
    No, it isn't. I wasn't necessarily considering money as a factor, assuming the pay is equal I'd consider us the most attractive in League One with the exception of MAYBE Sheffield, if you don't mind moving up north. If another team wants to pay an extra £X per month which makes a difference to you, then yes. But for the players we want I wouldn't expect us to be out-bid by other teams in this league, again with the exception of Sheffield.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    No, it isn't. I wasn't necessarily considering money as a factor, assuming the pay is equal I'd consider us the most attractive in League One with the exception of MAYBE Sheffield, if you don't mind moving up north. If another team wants to pay an extra £X per month which makes a difference to you, then yes. But for the players we want I wouldn't expect us to be out-bid by other teams in this league, again with the exception of Sheffield.
    Sunderland will be the biggest spenders I feel (if they don't go up obviously). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

He will be a poor signing. Bonne type of player..
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agree. If Posh are getting rid then it’s clear he’s not up to Champ standard. We want to be recruiting for top end league one who can cut it the level up. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Valley11 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agree. If Posh are getting rid then it’s clear he’s not up to Champ standard. We want to be recruiting for top end league one who can cut it the level up. 
    But not every signing will be able to meet that requirement. Or do you think Thomas is willing to go all in? Some signings will be to get us up, others will be to get us up and grow. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But not every signing will be able to meet that requirement. Or do you think Thomas is willing to go all in?
    That's the problem with Mo.  He is "all in price" with massive question mark over the last 3 years. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But not every signing will be able to meet that requirement. Or do you think Thomas is willing to go all in?
    That's the problem with Mo.  He is "all in price" with massive question mark over the last 3 years. 
    Not 3 years, he got 1 in 2 last season. I think 750k is a bit steep but I don't feel 400k ish is all in price, it's really not that much at all. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

In any case, you need to sign players who can do the job right now in League One.
    And have already proven their ability at this level.

Sure you need a bit of quality - and you may find that in a Championship player stepping down a level.
    But why are they coming ....... surely players want to stay and play at their highest level? So why haven't they got a Championship club?
    They can be a disappointment too despite their 'quality' ...... fitness and attitude, might be suspect.

Chris Powell got it right 10 years ago. He signed generally the 'best from League One' ..... players who already knew the League and had the hunger to better themselves.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!