Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    But it doesn't seem to be the same at other clubs does it... strange how everyone is doing their own thing here. We must be one of the last clubs to confirm their list.

the season only finished five days ago, I suppose we should have announced it by midday Monday, discussions held in the dressing room after the match.

And we didn't know what division we would be in until Sunday, most other clubs basically knew weeks in advance.

Nah we should have told them weeks ago and potentially been in the play offs with 5 or 6 players knowing they would be unemployed either way.  I am sure that would have been a great idea.

Or not 
  • Options
    Lest we forget, we didn't know which division we would be in next year until 2pm on Sunday. Teams that had their status known could obviously deal with contracts earlier. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    The club are looking a bit silly this week, all the players breaking rank and confirming their exits. 

Our comms team has always been a weak link in the club. Slow to react and normally we find things out on here or in the press first
    Not really, who cares whether the club release it first or not. It's pretty minor. 
    Agree, doesn't really matter, can't blame the players, they are just getting themselves into the shop window asap, instead of waiting for the club to eventually announce the list.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Maccn05 said:
    But it doesn't seem to be the same at other clubs does it... strange how everyone is doing their own thing here. We must be one of the last clubs to confirm their list.
    And you're blaming the comms team for that?

Chats happened on Tuesday, I can imagine in some cases reduced terms were offered and players were given a couple of days to decide whether to accept or not.

And others were just told to jog. It's not a one-size-fits-all approach.
    The comms team shouldn’t be criticising the players for announcing it before the club.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Jordan Graham - released by Gills, another winger we were linked with in Jan. 

Had a great season and was really highly rated by Wolves as a youngster but plagued by injuries, could be worth a punt on a free.
    Connor Ogilvie & Jack Bonham have also turned down their contract offers from the Gills, meaning they are now free agents.
    How about Vadaine Oliver? He had a great season for the Gills.
    So are we planning on signing up the Gills side that finished below us, despite people criticising our own players?
  • Options
    Liam Walsh being released by Bristol City. Only 23 years old. 

Defensive midfielder so would be a good replacement for Pratley. 
    Been out injured for much of the season...
  • Options
    Liam Walsh being released by Bristol City. Only 23 years old. 

Defensive midfielder so would be a good replacement for Pratley. 
    Been out injured for much of the season...
    Should fit in perfectly then
  • Options
    Seems to be the only injury he's had in his career though, played a decent amount the year before. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Maccn05 said:

Chats happened on Tuesday, I can imagine in some cases reduced terms were offered and players were given a couple of days to decide whether to accept or not.

There's possibly some players who are still discussing/weighing up options/wage wrangling, with the management so need to wait for it all to be fully nailed down for those with contracts ending before they can release a full official list. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

the season only finished five days ago, I suppose we should have announced it by midday Monday, discussions held in the dressing room after the match.

And we didn't know what division we would be in until Sunday, most other clubs basically knew weeks in advance.

Not sure the sarcasm is needed there.

But my comment seems to have riled a few. so to explain my position

I work in a company where social media and comms are very important in us dealing with a HUGE  fickle, emotional community so everything is very well planned and timely, if these types of leaks occurred or if we're slow to react then it would be really bad news... so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to the subject

I also have numerous confidentiality clauses in my employment contract so I'd not be able to do what the players have done - i'm technically they are still employed until June 30th
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Maccn05 said:

There's possibly some players who are still discussing/weighing up options/wage wrangling, with the management so need to wait for it all to be fully nailed down for those with contracts ending before they can release a full official list. 
    The 2 boarder line players Amos and Matthews haven't had anything significant leaked. 
  • Options
    It’s hopefully fair to assume we are trying to cherry pick the best of our division 1st when recruiting. Without listing there were quite a few sides below us that had standout performances to our misfortune. For example a couple of the Crewe players ran rings around us, as mentioned before. I’m quite excited to see what team gets built.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    It’s hopefully fair to assume we are trying to cherry pick the best of our division 1st when recruiting. Without listing there were quite a few sides below us that had standout performances to our misfortune. For example a couple of the Crewe players ran rings around us, as mentioned before. I’m quite excited to see what team gets built.
    We see these players at other clubs two games a season if we are lucky .. just because they have one good game against us don’t mean there excellent players and should be signed 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    paulfox said:
    We see these players at other clubs two games a season if we are lucky .. just because they have one good game against us don’t mean there excellent players and should be signed 
    Yes absolutely, but that’s why we have scouts. Are you suggesting they only play well against us?😜
    I was attempting to be positive about our recruitment, nothing else.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    No but one would hope who ever does do the signing has watched, or had them watched, more than twice. 
  • Options
    @Dazzler21 I will take my first green slot now :)
  • Options
    Blimey, came on here for some juicy rumours, was not expecting the sniping, nor digging out of the comms team. How naive of me...

For what it is worth, I would not blame the comms team one iota. Comms are not an independent unit that can do as they please, they will report to an executive who will either be party to or in communication with those who are conducting exit conversations or contractual renewals. I would hope that a well rounded comms update will come either later today or early next week if they are awaiting responses from one or more players offered new contracts.

Amos, Matthews, Aneke, Pearce etc all may be in talks and with so many leaving a real sweetener would be a new player announcement at the same time, but probably too much to wish for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Maccn05 said:

Agreed. We live in a social media age where players are going to post updates. Nothing to do with the club and it’s not making the club look silly.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Not sure the sarcasm is needed there.

But my comment seems to have riled a few. so to explain my position

I work in a company where social media and comms are very important in us dealing with a HUGE  fickle, emotional community so everything is very well planned and timely, if these types of leaks occurred or if we're slow to react then it would be really bad news... so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to the subject

I also have numerous confidentiality clauses in my employment contract so I'd not be able to do what the players have done - i'm technically they are still employed until June 30th
    So you ARE part of the Charlton comms team then?
    Well our community is hundreds of millions so it’s a tiny bit bigger ... but in other aspects exactly the same 🤣

not digging out the social or Comms team specifically more the club as a whole not being proactive. The comms team are just the public face of it 👍🏼
  • Options
    Blimey, came on here for some juicy rumours, was not expecting the sniping, nor digging out of the comms team. How naive of me...

For what it is worth, I would not blame the comms team one iota. Comms are not an independent unit that can do as they please, they will report to an executive who will either be party to or in communication with those who are conducting exit conversations or contractual renewals. I would hope that a well rounded comms update will come either later today or early next week if they are awaiting responses from one or more players offered new contracts.

Amos, Matthews, Aneke, Pearce etc all may be in talks and with so many leaving a real sweetener would be a new player announcement at the same time, but probably too much to wish for.
    Agreed. The comms team aren’t independent from the club and when a representative of the club is on twitter having a dig at employees, that said club have just made redundant, it didn’t sit well with me. That is all.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Was just about to post this, they have released some seriously decent players from what I remember, particularly Baker, Adelakun & Famara
  • Options
    Would be interested in Adelakun did well with Scunthorpe at this level in 2017/18

Watkins and Rowe too, but didnt realise they were both 30 and over so a bit too old
  • Options
    chev said:
    Why is the club still not saying anything? So weird
    as the Club (Olly Groome) said yesterday they have to follow protocol and issue one retained list, they said it's a shame players have individually jumped the gun but that's their choice.
    I don’t blame the players one iota for announcing their departures. They are essentially now unemployed and want to put themselves in the shop window immediately. Why should they wait for some retained list to be released before confirming it. The comms team need to be a bit more proactive and less reactive with this sort of thing. 
    I don’t agree, but thank you for saying ‘reactive’ instead of ‘reactionary’. 10 points to Gryffindor. 
  • Options
    Some decent players on that list, Famara Diédhiou cost them about 5mil and has a 1 in 3 record at Champ level.
  • Options
    Henri Lansbury has almost completed his journey to old clogger who wanders around the middle of the pitch kicking people. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!