Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    ForeverAddickted said:
    Would be interested in Adelakun did well with Scunthorpe at this level in 2017/18

Watkins and Rowe too, but didnt realise they were both 30 and over so a bit too old
    Must know Adkins then :wink:

A lot of players on that list were good players, like Pritchard and others previously mentioned, I have no idea if they still are. 
  • Options
    Some big names there that must have been on a fair whack too, Lansbury, Mariappa and Diedhiou
  • Options
    Hakeeb Adelakun Was a very good player at Scunthorpe perhaps NA knows him ... excellent tricky winger who caused us problems everytime we played them 
  • Options
    Blimey, came on here for some juicy rumours, was not expecting the sniping, nor digging out of the comms team. How naive of me...

For what it is worth, I would not blame the comms team one iota. Comms are not an independent unit that can do as they please, they will report to an executive who will either be party to or in communication with those who are conducting exit conversations or contractual renewals. I would hope that a well rounded comms update will come either later today or early next week if they are awaiting responses from one or more players offered new contracts.

Amos, Matthews, Aneke, Pearce etc all may be in talks and with so many leaving a real sweetener would be a new player announcement at the same time, but probably too much to wish for.
    Agreed. The comms team aren’t independent from the club and when a representative of the club is on twitter having a dig at employees, that said club have just made redundant, it didn’t sit well with me. That is all.
    Redundant?!

Their contracts have expired.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Addick_8 said:
    paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    For me Albies dead ball delivery is miles ahead of JFC and he showed that at the end of the season. However he is a bit hit n miss in terms of drifting in and out of games for long periods. I do think he should be in the matchday squad this year for sure but also agree if we are thinking he will be a regular starter then we are in trouble imo
    Yes I agree, he did do some good bits, but just doesn’t do it enough. I know some players develop later, but 21 after going through an academy isn’t that young that he shouldn’t be influencing games these days.
    21 isn't that young? come on now. 
    It is to me, at my age! 

It is young to me too, but in football terms good players break through early and often sustain it. Not all admittedly. In league 1 he should be playing regularly now but he isn’t.
    Yes, of course, in football terms.
    Although footballers will always mature at different ages, depending on position and character.

But in literal terms, mine was only a throwaway comment that resonates with older people. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    paulfox said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Addick_8 said:
    paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    For me Albies dead ball delivery is miles ahead of JFC and he showed that at the end of the season. However he is a bit hit n miss in terms of drifting in and out of games for long periods. I do think he should be in the matchday squad this year for sure but also agree if we are thinking he will be a regular starter then we are in trouble imo
    Yes I agree, he did do some good bits, but just doesn’t do it enough. I know some players develop later, but 21 after going through an academy isn’t that young that he shouldn’t be influencing games these days.
    21 isn't that young? come on now. 
    It is to me, at my age! 

It is young to me too, but in football terms good players break through early and often sustain it. Not all admittedly. In league 1 he should be playing regularly now but he isn’t.
    Yes, of course, in football terms.
    Although footballers will always mature at different ages, depending on position and character.

But in literal terms, mine was only a throwaway comment that resonates with older people. :smile:

Yes I got that. 👍
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    The club are looking a bit silly this week, all the players breaking rank and confirming their exits. 

Our comms team has always been a weak link in the club. Slow to react and normally we find things out on here or in the press first
    Not really, who cares whether the club release it first or not. It's pretty minor. 
    100%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Do those two contradict each other?  Could have been offered a contract, turned it down and been released as a result?
  • Options
    If I remember right this site has sometimes been right about us (whether that fits the metaphor of throwing shit at a wall I'm not sure)

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Do those two contradict each other?  Could have been offered a contract, turned it down and been released as a result?
    What is pretty much what I actually said :smile:
  • Options
    MattF said:
    If I remember right this site has sometimes been right about us (whether that fits the metaphor of throwing shit at a wall I'm not sure)

Seems to be primarily a right back, so if this is legit (seriously big IF though) that sounds like at least one of Gunter or Matthews is off, likely the latter given the contract situation.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Maccn05 said:
    But it doesn't seem to be the same at other clubs does it... strange how everyone is doing their own thing here. We must be one of the last clubs to confirm their list.
    And you're blaming the comms team for that?

Chats happened on Tuesday, I can imagine in some cases reduced terms were offered and players were given a couple of days to decide whether to accept or not.

And others were just told to jog. It's not a one-size-fits-all approach.
    The comms team shouldn’t be criticising the players for announcing it before the club.
    They didn't Olly simply said it's a shame they didn't wait for the club to announce it... Hardly criticising. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    MattF said:

Seems to be primarily a right back, so if this is legit (seriously big IF though) that sounds like at least one of Gunter or Matthews is off, likely the latter given the contract situation.
    With Gunter and Matthews it depends what the real issue is, whether it's purely football or if its financial.

If its football we could see under contract players being loaned out later in the window because we have to many players or to get down to the squad limit, if its still in place.

That's probably a better option than paying them to foxtrot Oscar hoping we will get someone better.

So if it's purely football you offer Matthews a contract, if you can't afford to keep both you wave bye bye to him. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    MattF said:

Why do we need to submit an offer if he’s leaving on a free?
    Suppose you've still got to submit an offer to the player
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    MattF said:

Why do we need to submit an offer if he’s leaving on a free?
    Have him for free but some sell on clauses maybe? Lease then his wage is off there books and they still might make something later on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    MattF said:

With Gunter and Matthews it depends what the real issue is, whether it's purely football or if its financial.

If its football we could see under contract players being loaned out later in the window because we have to many players or to get down to the squad limit, if its still in place.

That's probably a better option than paying them to foxtrot Oscar hoping we will get someone better.

So if it's purely football you offer Matthews a contract, if you can't afford to keep both you wave bye bye to him. 
    True, but Gunter is going to be on fairly good money in L1 terms you'd think, finding someone to take that off the books won't be easy especially as he's not exactly set the league on fire.

Still, one rumour on one site proves little at this stage. I'd probably be happy enough to keep both Matthews (as first choice) and Gunter (cover) but three right backs in L2 seems extravagant.
  • Options
    I think they'll be a lot of cost cutting by championship sides this summer. We could get a few decent free transfers for league one 
    With that you’ve got to be careful not to sign players who are well past their best and/or no longer hungry for success. Gunter for example was a good signing on paper but didn’t perform as hoped.

I’d rather the majority of signings are players on the up or with something to prove rather than big names. Players who see signing for us as a great opportunity, rather than they’re doing us a favour by dropping their wage demands or because it’s convenient to move back to London (see Watson).
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    MattF said:

True, but Gunter is going to be on fairly good money in L1 terms you'd think, finding someone to take that off the books won't be easy especially as he's not exactly set the league on fire.
    Yeah but I am sure a Wimbledon would take him on loan.  Its easy to say as its not my money but it's going to take quite a lot of Thomas's money either way. 
  • Options
    There are an awful lot of players being released. At our lower level players are going to have to be realistic about their wage demands otherwise they could well end up out of the professional game. Might be an opportunity for us to get a few in at a realistic price. 
  • Options
    There are an awful lot of players being released. At our lower level players are going to have to be realistic about their wage demands otherwise they could well end up out of the professional game. Might be an opportunity for us to get a few in at a realistic price. 
    That's why you would have to be careful spending money on someone like Eisa.  Obviously you want the majority in early but there could be some real bargains come August. 
  • Options
    Football hub on twitter saying us, Birmingham and Shrewsbury looking at Jordon Graham 
  • Options
    Blimey, came on here for some juicy rumours, was not expecting the sniping, nor digging out of the comms team. How naive of me...

For what it is worth, I would not blame the comms team one iota. Comms are not an independent unit that can do as they please, they will report to an executive who will either be party to or in communication with those who are conducting exit conversations or contractual renewals. I would hope that a well rounded comms update will come either later today or early next week if they are awaiting responses from one or more players offered new contracts.

Amos, Matthews, Aneke, Pearce etc all may be in talks and with so many leaving a real sweetener would be a new player announcement at the same time, but probably too much to wish for.
    Agreed. The comms team aren’t independent from the club and when a representative of the club is on twitter having a dig at employees, that said club have just made redundant, it didn’t sit well with me. That is all.
    In no way was I having a dig. I was simply pointing out that there’s a process and, usually, the players will be asked to wait until there is an official announcement. For whatever reason, that has slipped away from us this year. 
    We can’t just announce things as and when we want, the process needs to be followed. All players need to be spoken to, that hadn’t happened by the time individual players were making their announcements.
    Just as an example, the first the comms team had heard Pratley was leaving was when we saw a screenshot from his post on social media which doesn’t really allow us much of a chance to be proactive (that isn’t a dig at him either btw!).
    I admit it’s far from ideal and, in a perfect world, the official club announcement should 100% be the first word on it before it’s put out there elsewhere. It’s now a case of making sure the correct process is re-emphasised next year to avoid similar situations.

Fair enough mate. I just didn’t see the need to express what I perceived as disappointment, in the players actions. I didn’t really see the point of it in the circumstances. I don’t see that Pratley announcing it on a LinkedIn, when the blokes out of work, is anything for the club to be pissed off about. Do you think he should have waited then? If you have a look at LinkedIn there are plenty of players past and present advertising their services inc. Lloyd Doyley and Jem Karacan amongst others. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!