Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Skipped about a thousand posts so apologies if it’s emerged more clearly why. call me Wibbling Walter if you like, but absolutely astounded we’ve got this far into the summer only signing / replacing what we have. 

No idea of the reasons, not moaning about it, but absolutely nothing like the summer rebuild I was expecting. We might well end up where we are wanting to be come the end of the window, but I anticipated something far more impacting by this stage. 
    Well there's a lot of us bed wetters thinking this, much more & they'll be raising the Thames Barrier.

Maybe we're at our natural level but I do wonder whether whether our season ticket sales seem to have ground to a halt because so many people are thinking the same.
    I think even the biggest optimists amongst us (those that always think everything is rosy & used to chant "there's only one Matty Southall") would admit that this summer has not gone to plan.

I genuinely think TS & NA did have big intentions but things have simply not gone as they expected i.e. the big sponsorship deal didn't materalise (& we ended up having to ask previous partners to help us out), the salary demands from our targeted players have been higher than anticipated & the fierce competition from other league one clubs has taken us by surprise (no one expected rival L1 clubs to offer 9-10k per week deals).

As Bowyer infamously used to say..."it is what it is".... Let's hope we still bag ourselves a few transfer coups before the window closes.

I broadly agree with you, but let's be realistic about sponsorship deals. There was never going to be a deal in L1 that would impact transfer dealings more than fractionally, if at all. The club would have known that - and if it didn't then there is a problem.
    All of this, and the high rent on the stadium, with no fans has had an effect too! As I mention earlier, budget is very similar to our last league one season. The loan signings going to be key. 

When I mention NA isn’t happy who would be when half the budget gets taken away.. The relationship is still strong..

We just need to be realistic on our transfer exceptions. Loan signings going to be key, and hope some of youngest are ready for a long hard season! 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Charlton have a perennial shortage of goals problem. Soon-to-be superstar Troy Parrot goes to ... MK Dons on a season loan.  I can't believe the player would CHOOSE MKD over CAFC so is this one Gallen et Al simply overlooked? 

That's Ipswich, MK Dons, Sunderland, Rotherham and Wigan who will be scoring for fun this coming season. And Ipswich are STILL buying up all the quality. 10 new signings already. All quality. I hear people going on about our "exemplary physio set up" as though they are the ones playing next season!! 

Inniss and a fit JFC aside, this current squad is way short of what it will take to "storm the league" as Tommy Standguard would say.  Inniss and JFC should be the very least level each player should be playing at to be cafc regulars. Dobson and Clare I hope will prove me wrong. Famewo, Gunter and Matthews are able. And perhaps Stockley and Washington will miraculously turn into Hunt and Mendonca this coming season. But I think if I was in this squad in training at this point I wouldnt be thinking we are going to p*ss it this season..
    Another one on here that just moans about everything.

Sure you're not Nick Gray/Vol au Vent Addick from the old 606 forums? You write awfully similar
    Sue parks?
  • Options
    I think we will get a couple of loans in before the window shuts and hang on to the coat tails of the top six like Blackpool did last season,January is where our transfer window will be crucial but think that is where our team will be completed and push on to a top six finish 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Out of interest, how many players have left since May (released or out of contract) & how many have we signed. The last bit I'm assuming is 8 (Macgillvrary, Matthews, Pearce, Watson, JFC, Stockley, Dobson & Clare). Just can't remember the exact number that left.
    Amos, Deji, Pratley, Shinnie, Oztumer, Maddison, Aneke all released.

Plus the 5 loans. 

So 12 out

Mac, Stockley, Famewo, Dobson and Clare in.

So 5 in

If you factor Davison and JFC in, who cancel each other out we are still 7 short on last season.  3 more perms? 
    Bit of a stretch to count Maddison (4 starts + 4 sub) and Oztumer (2 starts), they were hardly influential last season.

If we're counting them then you could quite easily say we've added Clayden and Ghandour to the squad, who are now 20 and 21 so not really considered youth team any more.

But overall yes we're still well short. I think we need at least 5 more signings and i'm shocked there has been nothing since the arrival of Clare. 
    It's not a stretch because they were players who left.   We were allowed a 25 man squad last season we had a 25 man squad, including those 2.  We will probably be aiming for a 25 man squad this season, it will probably include a few of our own "kids" who it didn't include last season.  That 7 will probably be 2 perms, 3 loans, 2 promoted kids or similar.

I know that we need more depth but 1 or 2 high quality signings, either loan or perm, will suddenly make the whole picture look much better. 
  • Options
    Skipped about a thousand posts so apologies if it’s emerged more clearly why. But call me Wibbling Walter if you like, but absolutely astounded we’ve got this far into the summer only signing / replacing what we have. 

No idea of the reasons, not moaning about it, but absolutely nothing like the summer rebuild I was expecting. We might well end up where we are wanting to be come the end of the window, but I anticipated something far more impacting by this stage. 
    Hush your mouth ! Don't you know that it is sacrilege to question anything to do with our transfer policy. Just because lots if other teams are signing players doesn't mean its the right thing to do. They will all go belly up due to high fees & wages and we will win the League by being the last man standing. 
    I'm an accountant, so prudence is my middle name, but it does amuse me when football fans suddenly start extolling the virtues of spending less on transfers and wages than our rivals  :D
    I just find it funny that suddenly everyone is agreeing with what I've been saying for weeks.

But if took a mod to say it before anyone would agree.

# teamgolfie.
    There’s the difference, you’ve been saying it for weeks. In that time we could have signed several players. There was one rumoured to be done last week. We know not being linked with players in the media doesn’t mean nothing is happening, many were only known about a day or even hours before they were announced.

Most of us have agreed it’s not going to plan or meeting expectations, and some of us believe several signings will eventually come in. You said you expect u23s and the odd loan to fill the gaps. I’m sure we’ll see one or two u23s come through but it won’t be 4/5 in place of signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we are going to be relying on loan players, and I know we are waiting for the crumbs to fall off the premiership tables with regards to that, then they need to be the right quality, we’ve had some really good loans over the years, and some real duffers, the next 4 weeks are really important, from an outside perspective it comes across that it’s not been a good transfer window, and we are struggling to attract players / pay over the odds for good ones.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Out of interest, how many players have left since May (released or out of contract) & how many have we signed. The last bit I'm assuming is 8 (Macgillvrary, Matthews, Pearce, Watson, JFC, Stockley, Dobson & Clare). Just can't remember the exact number that left.
    Amos, Deji, Pratley, Shinnie, Oztumer, Maddison, Aneke all released.

Plus the 5 loans. 

So 12 out

Mac, Stockley, Famewo, Dobson and Clare in.

So 5 in

If you factor Davison and JFC in, who cancel each other out we are still 7 short on last season.  3 more perms? 
    Bit of a stretch to count Maddison (4 starts + 4 sub) and Oztumer (2 starts), they were hardly influential last season.

If we're counting them then you could quite easily say we've added Clayden and Ghandour to the squad, who are now 20 and 21 so not really considered youth team any more.

But overall yes we're still well short. I think we need at least 5 more signings and i'm shocked there has been nothing since the arrival of Clare. 
    It's not a stretch because they were players who left.   We were allowed a 25 man squad last season we had a 25 man squad, including those 2.  We will probably be aiming for a 25 man squad this season, it will probably include a few of our own "kids" who it didn't include last season.  That 7 will probably be 2 perms, 3 loans, 2 promoted kids or similar.

I know that we need more depth but 1 or 2 high quality signings, either loan or perm, will suddenly make the whole picture look much better. 
    It is a stretch because Maddison (and Williams) were replaced by Millar and DJ in January. Oztumer only played the odd game at the start of the season so could have been replaced by an u23.
  • Options
    doronron said:
    I think we will get a couple of loans in before the window shuts and hang on to the coat tails of the top six like Blackpool did last season,January is where our transfer window will be crucial but think that is where our team will be completed and push on to a top six finish 
    Ah, of course, the infamous January transfer window, where it is universally accepted that you get a bad deal if you are looking to buy any players & recent history has shown that loan players we bring in (Smith,Davis) are next to useless.

And why go half the season before you bring in players (where you only have a month to do so) where you had 4 months in the summer to do just that.

To be fair last January we bought DJ (and Ronnie) and got Millar and Stockley on loan.  That was quite good, wasn't it?  It was probably the first January in ages when we actually improved. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    A few weeks ago I said that NA and TS shouldn't have bigged us up so much at the end of last season . We all know that promotion is the aim.

I was lambasted.

When I said that if a player is good enough then they are old enough. 
    I even added a list of some players through the decades that had come good from early on.

For that I was abused , unfairly, I think.

Football had changed. Players are fitter than they were some time ago. 

Here we are now with others contemplating Ghandour et Al as possible contenders. These players are modern young players who are as fit as any other for the times.  Given our older players break down regularly over stretching , anyone can get injured.

Washington over stretched at Wimbledon trying for a ball that was going out of play anyway. Result he pulled a muscle trying to slow up I believe.  That injury happened to a seasoned player. 

We will need more in the squad and the younger ones will be needed no matter what.  

Quite why we should rely on loan players of the same age as our own young players is strange because it doesn't  help them, just a Premiership club. 
    Perhaps because they might be better than our players of the same age? That is the theory and another Conor Gallagher or two will do nicely. That said, I believe that Adkins will be prepared to blood our youngsters even if they aren't the finished article - something that his predecessor was reluctant to do hence his reliance on old pros which, whilst giving stability, stifled both pace and inventiveness within the side.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    doronron said:
    Ah, of course, the infamous January transfer window, where it is universally accepted that you get a bad deal if you are looking to buy any players & recent history has shown that loan players we bring in (Smith,Davis) are next to useless.

And why go half the season before you bring in players (where you only have a month to do so) where you had 4 months in the summer to do just that.

To be fair last January we bought DJ (and Ronnie) and got Millar and Stockley on loan.  That was quite good, wasn't it?  It was probably the first January in ages when we actually improved. 
    Fair point. 
  • Options
    Still time but not ideal obviously.  Thought we were going to be following the Brentford model a bit more than we have by buying young & talented such as Randell or Kirk! Invest to accumulate! Sandguard bought us in a pandemic, would have known the financial situation & the possible forecasts & still went boasting about blowing the league away. Grateful to the man for what he has done for us so far but now we have to move on! I feel the strongest eleven can hold their own but come on we need to get some quality in now rather than later! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't be the only one who's surprised by the fact that Ogilvie and Tucker are still at Gillingham, Boyle is still at Cheltenham, Kirk and Dale still at Crewe, Randall still at Exeter.

There's a number of top quality players at smaller clubs that we should be in for. If we could even sign 2 of the above it'd improve us immensely.
    At the moment Oglivie only wants to play centre back and wants championship football just think the others clubs are asking to much money .. Kirk I wonder if it’s more to do with not dealing with his agent after what happened in Jan 
  • Options
    I can't be the only one who's surprised by the fact that Ogilvie and Tucker are still at Gillingham, Boyle is still at Cheltenham, Kirk and Dale still at Crewe, Randall still at Exeter.

There's a number of top quality players at smaller clubs that we should be in for. If we could even sign 2 of the above it'd improve us immensely.
    How do you know we're not? As people keep saying (over and over again), there's roughly 5 weeks left until the window shuts. The agents, players and clubs will ask for more earlier in the window. It's a cat and mouse situation. Not digging you out, but I wish people would stop making the same points over and over. People will say we should 'do an Ipswich' but that's risky (look at Sunderland's recent history). I imagine nobody (myself included) had even heard of Will Boyle until 3 weeks ago, we're probably shopping in a different market
  • Options

But they not gone anywhere else either … 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I said before it wouldn't surprise me if it's all a part of the Thomas Sandgaard show, I can imagine him relishing at the idea of a few transfer deadline day signings to push the club on social media and get some praise. 

If I was a betting man I reckon we will grab at least two players on frees, about 3 loans and will spend a bit of whack on a marquee signing on the very last day to make it dramatic. I may be completely wrong but I'm just making a call based on the type of character I think he is
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Eisa and Parrott both played in League 1 last season. Combined record 4 in 45. Stockley got double the goals in half the games, how comes MK Don's are now going to score bundles?  
    Because some just see quantities of signings and think oh they’re going to have a good season, regardless of who they sign.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    doronron said:

So...the Roland model 

"Have a strong first 11 and no depth in quality, if around the playoffs in January, reinvest and push on" 

It's a fair and sensible way to go about it, but, the loans we bring in for depth have to have some quality about them now, and, to not get bent double on fees when we go shopping in Jan.

We should be limiting the amount of transfer activity in Jan given its infamy for over paying etc. At least now we have Gallen who's had a decent record on players in so far, hoping for a couple of bielik/ Cullen's rather than Smith Smith and Levitt's

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!