Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    So what is the reason for waiting?
    We know Nigel wanted the squad in place for pre season games and whatever way you cut it, we need a number of players. 
    Is it that Thomas doesn’t want to pay agent fees, that players are waiting to receive the final month’s salary from a previous contract and/or better loan players become available at the end of the transfer window?
    Or is it a reluctance to pay transfer fees? (Yes I know we spent money on Clare and Stockley). 

This isn’t a dig before the masses pile on with yet more ‘everything will be fine, stop moaning!’. Just interested. 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Valley11 said:
    So what is the reason for waiting?
    We know Nigel wanted the squad in place for pre season games. 
    Is it that Thomas doesn’t want to pay agent fees, that players are waiting to receive the final month’s salary from a previous contract and/or better loan players become available at the end of the transfer window?
    Or is it a reluctance to pay transfer fees? (Yes I know we spent money on Clare). 

This isn’t a dig before the masses pile on with yet more ‘everything will be fine, stop moaning!’. Just interested. 

Honestly think that Ipswich and Wigan’s spending has made clubs resist a sensible bid in the hope that people will go chasing that level of spending on fees.

suspect they’ll be some realism in August, and clubs will take sensible bids. If your for example Crewe I think they’ll sell the two players mentioned, and I think we’ll be in for them at the right price 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I think our loan signings will be better this season, we no longer have to beg other clubs.
    Are you not hearing anything? Or burned by last year?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/610005b1deddb/thomas-sandgaard-relishing-sheffield-wednesday-clash

Sandgaard arrived in the UK last week and explained why he wanted to be in London during a crucial time of the summer: “Of course, there’s still a heavy focus on the recruiting side and then there’s everything else that happens behind the scenes that obviously I’m a big part of on a daily basis. Many things are so much easier when you deal with them face-to-face instead of doing it by phone, Zoom call or by email, so that’s important that I get to spend some time there.”
    My sources tell me Sandgaard has something very special in store for us next week. Keep your eyes (and ears) peeled! 😉

(Spoiler alert - he is gonna play a sick guitar solo while Floyd and Harvey form a moshpit in the centre circle).
    If I wanted to watch a rock show I would go buy a ticket to see the Rolling Stones. I bought a season ticket at the Valley to watch football. 
  • Options
    I said before it wouldn't surprise me if it's all a part of the Thomas Sandgaard show, I can imagine him relishing at the idea of a few transfer deadline day signings to push the club on social media and get some praise. 

If I was a betting man I reckon we will grab at least two players on frees, about 3 loans and will spend a bit of whack on a marquee signing on the very last day to make it dramatic. I may be completely wrong but I'm just making a call based on the type of character I think he is
    So, due to the owner being an ******** ***** **** (fill in your own blanks) we start the season under staffed just so he can have his 5 mins of glory on deadline day.

Weird way of looking at it.
    I am not saying I would agree with it, or that I would like it, simply a hunch.

This is an owner to me who looks like he will thrive off of deadline day drama but actually have the super duper phone, that's the difference.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Skipped about a thousand posts so apologies if it’s emerged more clearly why. call me Wibbling Walter if you like, but absolutely astounded we’ve got this far into the summer only signing / replacing what we have. 

No idea of the reasons, not moaning about it, but absolutely nothing like the summer rebuild I was expecting. We might well end up where we are wanting to be come the end of the window, but I anticipated something far more impacting by this stage. 
    Clare and particularly Dobson seem to be upgrades, too early to say on McG, Famewo we have a great chance to fully assess him with the option to buy, and Stockley on a perm is a great piece of business imho. Clearly we're several pieces short, but it's just taken longer to do the business we want, as it has for other teams. Imagine any residual gaps in 5 weeks will be filled in by loans, as it should be if you're building a long-term squad and the players you want aren't available permanently. The only place we'll be short next Saturday in the first XI is a left back, and that's due to injury. As others, I'm quite impressed with Ipswich's signings and think they must be being more liberal with wages, everyone else seems on a par with us or worse if you look at their squads. Personally think Wigan's business has actually been pretty poor and people would be unhappy if those were our signings. 

In short, agree it's taken longer than we'd all expected, but it's only 1 or 2 signings behind expectations at this stage, surely? 1 winger being absolute priority! AM, CB, LB, ST being the residual 'squad gaps'. Gk as a luxury 6th so we can send out AMB, and  short term CM loan to cover JFC maybe. I reckon we'll get 5 in, 6 if Schwartz isn't going to feature. 
  • Options
    I said before it wouldn't surprise me if it's all a part of the Thomas Sandgaard show, I can imagine him relishing at the idea of a few transfer deadline day signings to push the club on social media and get some praise. 

If I was a betting man I reckon we will grab at least two players on frees, about 3 loans and will spend a bit of whack on a marquee signing on the very last day to make it dramatic. I may be completely wrong but I'm just making a call based on the type of character I think he is
    Don’t think he needs to look for praise he should have that from every true fan who going to be able to look forward to seeing their team in action. next Saturday again ..
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    I can't be the only one who's surprised by the fact that Ogilvie and Tucker are still at Gillingham, Boyle is still at Cheltenham, Kirk and Dale still at Crewe, Randall still at Exeter.

There's a number of top quality players at smaller clubs that we should be in for. If we could even sign 2 of the above it'd improve us immensely.
    But they not gone anywhere else either … 
    I get the feeling those clubs are holding out for a fee, and are hoping Ipswich and Wigan’s jacuzzi of cash will wash upon them. 
    Up until the comma your 100% right.  That's exactly what every club is doing.

How much, roughly, have Ipswich and Wigan spent on transfer fees?  Say compared to us?

Wyke and Piggot both "cost" nothing in transfer fees.  If we paid a fee of about 400k for Stockley that equates to about about 2.5k a week over 3 years.  Which would put Stockley in the same ball park in terms of cost.

There is no Jacuzzi of cash, Ipswich have funded it buy getting rid of their whole 1st team squad from last season and selling two of their best young players.  Wigan had no wage bill to start with and have generally signed free agents on comparative wages to what we already had. 
    I bet both Wyke and Piggot both received substantial signing on fees along with all of Wigan's signings.
  • Options
    Just when the 'where are the signings / be patient' loop was starting to ease into a more gallows humour type feel, the gaffer goes and aligns with Golfie - can i recommend you read the last 100 pages AFKA and undergo some group mental correction whereby you will hopefully end up believing we are in a great position - Golfie is a single minded force of nature and I respect him for that so hasn't been swayed by this - me - i understand the view on both sides but we will only know when the window shuts and that's a concern because season ticket sales is obviously my raison d'etre. Any 'division blowing signings' bump in sales is gonna hindered by the fact that many seats that may have been available have been sold on a match day basis for the Sheffield Wednesday game. Guess people will end up waiting til after that game to buy or buy one in an undesireable location. One of those end blocks in the east or west - could be renamed the fairweather blocks?      
  • Options
    doronron said:
    January is where our transfer window will be crucial but think that is where our team will be completed and push on to a top six finish 
    I actually posted the same a couple of months ago.

But as a joke and got a fair few lols.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    I can't be the only one who's surprised by the fact that Ogilvie and Tucker are still at Gillingham, Boyle is still at Cheltenham, Kirk and Dale still at Crewe, Randall still at Exeter.

There's a number of top quality players at smaller clubs that we should be in for. If we could even sign 2 of the above it'd improve us immensely.
    But they not gone anywhere else either … 
    I get the feeling those clubs are holding out for a fee, and are hoping Ipswich and Wigan’s jacuzzi of cash will wash upon them. 
    Up until the comma your 100% right.  That's exactly what every club is doing.

How much, roughly, have Ipswich and Wigan spent on transfer fees?  Say compared to us?

Wyke and Piggot both "cost" nothing in transfer fees.  If we paid a fee of about 400k for Stockley that equates to about about 2.5k a week over 3 years.  Which would put Stockley in the same ball park in terms of cost.

There is no Jacuzzi of cash, Ipswich have funded it buy getting rid of their whole 1st team squad from last season and selling two of their best young players.  Wigan had no wage bill to start with and have generally signed free agents on comparative wages to what we already had. 
    I bet both Wyke and Piggot both received substantial signing on fees along with all of Wigan's signings.
    Don't you think Stockley, Clare, Dobson etc received signing on fees?

Our total squad wage bill will still be higher than Wigan's.  Most of thier new signings will be on comparative wages to the likes of Watson, Gilbey, Gunter, Matthews, Washington etc that we already had.  None of their legecy, for want of another word, were on anything like that. 
  • Options
    A few weeks ago I said that NA and TS shouldn't have bigged us up so much at the end of last season . We all know that promotion is the aim.

I was lambasted.

When I said that if a player is good enough then they are old enough. 
    I even added a list of some players through the decades that had come good from early on.

For that I was abused , unfairly, I think.

Football had changed. Players are fitter than they were some time ago. 

Here we are now with others contemplating Ghandour et Al as possible contenders. These players are modern young players who are as fit as any other for the times.  Given our older players break down regularly over stretching , anyone can get injured.

Washington over stretched at Wimbledon trying for a ball that was going out of play anyway. Result he pulled a muscle trying to slow up I believe.  That injury happened to a seasoned player. 

We will need more in the squad and the younger ones will be needed no matter what.  

Quite why we should rely on loan players of the same age as our own young players is strange because it doesn't  help them, just a Premiership club. 
    Perhaps because they might be better than our players of the same age? That is the theory and another Conor Gallagher or two will do nicely. That said, I believe that Adkins will be prepared to blood our youngsters even if they aren't the finished article - something that his predecessor was reluctant to do hence his reliance on old pros which, whilst giving stability, stifled both pace and inventiveness within the side.
    What is the point of our academy  then. They may be better but so what, half of them have proved inadequate to say the least or simply hardly used. Cullen and Bielik were older anyway. Cullen was 22 or so when he came. Bielik 20.
    Because (with very few exceptions) it's nearly impossible to be sure which kids are going to make it in the game or not. Sometimes a really promising 15-16 year old fizzles out. Sometimes a less spectacular player develops when hit with the adolescence stick.

Very few of them will ever go straight into the senior team but a lot of those who don't make it straight away end up playing regularly in lower divisions.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/610005b1deddb/thomas-sandgaard-relishing-sheffield-wednesday-clash

Sandgaard arrived in the UK last week and explained why he wanted to be in London during a crucial time of the summer: “Of course, there’s still a heavy focus on the recruiting side and then there’s everything else that happens behind the scenes that obviously I’m a big part of on a daily basis. Many things are so much easier when you deal with them face-to-face instead of doing it by phone, Zoom call or by email, so that’s important that I get to spend some time there.”
    My sources tell me Sandgaard has something very special in store for us next week. Keep your eyes (and ears) peeled! 😉

(Spoiler alert - he is gonna play a sick guitar solo while Floyd and Harvey form a moshpit in the centre circle).
    If I wanted to watch a rock show I would go buy a ticket to see the Rolling Stones. I bought a season ticket at the Valley to watch football. 
    Tough luck mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like the mood music suggests that the key business we’ll be doing is going to be loans. I was this coming season hoping that it was going to be the other way around. Never mind. It is what it is. If that’s the reality then what I want to see is loans coming in that are not Premier League punts like Levitt, Smith etc but more along the lines of Stockley. Not purely based on hindsight and the relative successes of those players but because I think there are plenty of players out there in The Championship who like Stockley at Preston wasn’t going to feature and are surplus to squads. Experienced players who would prefer to be playing and not kicking their heels with no prospect of football. I’m guessing even Championship clubs need to get some wages off the books. No idea who might be available but I’m sure Steve Gallen does. That’s not to say that we shouldn’t take a PL youngster but more that we need players that are definitely going to be able to offer NA real choices. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    From what I hear we are still bidding on players but the other clubs want more than we're offering.

Now you can spin that as "we're being sensible and not being held to ransom, we'll go back nearer the end of the window and get a lower price"

Or

"we're being unrealistic and TS is too tight/skint to spend what's needed to get promotion"

depending on how full/empty your glass is.
    Spot on, and it's that polarisation of views that sustains this thread.
    For my part I'm more Golfie than Ronnie Moore, but I live in hope that we'll have what we need at the death
  • Options
    A few weeks ago I said that NA and TS shouldn't have bigged us up so much at the end of last season . We all know that promotion is the aim.

I was lambasted.

When I said that if a player is good enough then they are old enough. 
    I even added a list of some players through the decades that had come good from early on.

For that I was abused , unfairly, I think.

Football had changed. Players are fitter than they were some time ago. 

Here we are now with others contemplating Ghandour et Al as possible contenders. These players are modern young players who are as fit as any other for the times.  Given our older players break down regularly over stretching , anyone can get injured.

Washington over stretched at Wimbledon trying for a ball that was going out of play anyway. Result he pulled a muscle trying to slow up I believe.  That injury happened to a seasoned player. 

We will need more in the squad and the younger ones will be needed no matter what.  

Quite why we should rely on loan players of the same age as our own young players is strange because it doesn't  help them, just a Premiership club. 
    Perhaps because they might be better than our players of the same age? That is the theory and another Conor Gallagher or two will do nicely. That said, I believe that Adkins will be prepared to blood our youngsters even if they aren't the finished article - something that his predecessor was reluctant to do hence his reliance on old pros which, whilst giving stability, stifled both pace and inventiveness within the side.
    What is the point of our academy  then. They may be better but so what, half of them have proved inadequate to say the least or simply hardly used. Cullen and Bielik were older anyway. Cullen was 22 or so when he came. Bielik 20.
    The point of an Academy is to produce first teamers. I am absolutely all for the progression of our youngsters and take a particular interest in the progress of the likes of James Beadle (and his brother, Harry, who was released by us but now doing well at Colchester) Euan Williams and Richard Chin who my son has got to know over the years. 

For various reasons, we haven't had many of our products in the first team in the last year or so but that isn't to say that we won't have a lot more under Adkins in the course of the next couple of seasons. If they aren't good enough yet though, are we really in a position to turn our nose up at (and whatever age they are) a Gallacher, Cullen, Bielik, Maatsen, Inniss, Leko or Dasilva? Quality not quantity should be the objective.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    A fair few people are gonna have the shakes after reading Cawley's tweet. 

It's me, I'm people 
    He's only having a couple of weeks off, so as some say... WIOTOS, is about it for now.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Skipped about a thousand posts so apologies if it’s emerged more clearly why. call me Wibbling Walter if you like, but absolutely astounded we’ve got this far into the summer only signing / replacing what we have. 

No idea of the reasons, not moaning about it, but absolutely nothing like the summer rebuild I was expecting. We might well end up where we are wanting to be come the end of the window, but I anticipated something far more impacting by this stage. 
    Classic Charlton life.

Golfie posts something similar and gets about 2 pages of abuse, negative nancy, why do you bother supporting the club etc. The boss man posts and gets (currently) 29 likes!
    I think it's more a case of the way it has been said. It was also caveated with a "not moaning about it, but absolutely nothing like the summer rebuild I was expecting". That's fair and I don't think it has been the summer rebuild any of us expected. I didn't expect 11 days between signings either as that feels an age. 

However there's still 31 days until the window closes so there's time for us to get in enough players to add quality and depth. I have zero doubt it will be a mix of loans and permies. 
    (I'd prefer 7/8 permies and no loans, but will be realistic)  
  • Options
    From what I hear we are still bidding on players but the other clubs want more than we're offering.

Now you can spin that as "we're being sensible and not being held to ransom, we'll go back nearer the end of the window and get a lower price"

Or

"we're being unrealistic and TS is too tight/skint to spend what's needed to get promotion"

depending on how full/empty your glass is.
    Worth looking back at the Sunderland series and seeing the brinkmanship that goes on.  In that situation, the chairman panicked and paid way over the odds, then realised he couldn't afford to run the club.  

I'm (as ever) in the glass half full camp, waiting, increasingly nervously, for rabbits to be pulled out of hats.  I was never expecting a total rebuild but like most expected more by now.  

It doesn't take too much reading between the lines to see that there's a fair bit of tension between the main protagonists (with Atkins you have to look at what he doesn't say, not what he says, as he has the mantra of only speaking positively).  Sangaard coming over should be seen in that light - he's had to put some personal focus on things to turn it around and sort some issues, I would think.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!