Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    A big problem with this terrible thread is I think people just forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that two things can be true at once, which is often an issue on here. We need more players, that's true, and ideally we would have brought them all in on the first day of the transfer window opening. Sure. I don't think there's anyone who looks at our squad and thinks 'job done'. The other thing that is true though is that while it's ideal to get players in early so they can all become best friends jogging round the park together, that's only if the players are available. We've already heard from Gallen that Clare had only been available for 48 hours before we signed him; players' availability shifts as clubs make final decisions on them, and that's going to mostly be happening around deadline day. Not ideal, but it's the reality we'll be working with. We know we need more players, but they might not come before the season actually starts because that's the nature of the transfer window and other clubs' ways of managing their resources.  That's why I don't understand all the hand-wringing on here, when the window closes is the time to assess and possibly have a little cry, especially given that if we just signed players to get bodies in people would be complaining about that all season. Instead we've got people handing the title to Ipswich because they've signed a few names they've heard of. 11 in for Ipswich, 22 out; they had a hell of a lot of work to do and they still do.
    We need players. The players will probably come late due to reasons outside of our control. It's ok to not be happy with the current squad, but also we're not at death's door because we haven't got all our signings done in June.
    GM with the voice of reason again. Agree 100%.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well he obviously knows we aren't signing anyone 🙄🙄
    Probably stress related from getting bombarded by everyone about who we are supposed to be signing.....
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/610005b1deddb/thomas-sandgaard-relishing-sheffield-wednesday-clash

Sandgaard arrived in the UK last week and explained why he wanted to be in London during a crucial time of the summer: “Of course, there’s still a heavy focus on the recruiting side and then there’s everything else that happens behind the scenes that obviously I’m a big part of on a daily basis. Many things are so much easier when you deal with them face-to-face instead of doing it by phone, Zoom call or by email, so that’s important that I get to spend some time there.”
    My sources tell me Sandgaard has something very special in store for us next week. Keep your eyes (and ears) peeled! 😉

(Spoiler alert - he is gonna play a sick guitar solo while Floyd and Harvey form a moshpit in the centre circle).
    If I wanted to watch a rock show I would go buy a ticket to see the Rolling Stones. I bought a season ticket at the Valley to watch football. 
    Why not go to America and to buy a ticket to see the Rolling Stones, Golfie? :smile:

• Options
    From what I hear we are still bidding on players but the other clubs want more than we're offering.

Now you can spin that as "we're being sensible and not being held to ransom, we'll go back nearer the end of the window and get a lower price"

Or

"we're being unrealistic and TS is too tight/skint to spend what's needed to get promotion"

depending on how full/empty your glass is.
    Spot on, and it's that polarisation of views that sustains this thread.
    For my part I'm more Golfie than Ronnie Moore, but I live in hope that we'll have what we need at the death
    Please don’t tell me it’s an either/or. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    I think our loan signings will be better this season, we no longer have to beg other clubs.
    Are you not hearing anything? Or burned by last year?
    Haven't heard anything, haven't asked...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I can't be the only one who's surprised by the fact that Ogilvie and Tucker are still at Gillingham, Boyle is still at Cheltenham, Kirk and Dale still at Crewe, Randall still at Exeter.

There's a number of top quality players at smaller clubs that we should be in for. If we could even sign 2 of the above it'd improve us immensely.
    Maybe because they are overpriced?

Right now, it's been reported that most of these players have been valued by their clubs at around £1m each.
    Which League One club is going to spend that money on a League One or League 2 player + wages?

You can't really blame those clubs in the present situation.
    Starved of income over the past 18 months, if they are to lose their star player and prized asset, they don't want to give that player away cheaply.

Maybe when the window is about to slam shut, they'll have a rethink if their bank manager pressures them to.
    That's when a £1m price quote can turn into £350,000, perhaps?

Prospective buyers know this and could be a good reason while these players haven't yet been transferred.
    And why Charlton hasn't been in any hurry to spend more money than they think they need to?

I think going forward we'll see more and more free transfers at this level. Part of me does wonder if the 2 year deals were what Dobson and Clare wanted as players become less willing to get trapped in longer deals knowing that even teams in L2 want silly money to allow players to progress their careers. It makes sense, if I was a decent young player who felt he could progress I would be pretty pissed off hearing that a biggish team was coming in for me but Cheltenham wanted £1m+ so I had to stay there and limit my growth. With that in mind I'd want to, as much as it pains me to say, take the Lyle Taylor approach; sign up for two years, have a good season and then tell the club they could give me a new, better deal, sell me now, or lose me in a year.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Mr Sandgaard said himself this week that nobody is sitting on their hands, the recruitment team are all working hard and we have targets.  We also have a realistic budget and won't be paying silly money.  If the money is right we will do some deals - if not we leave it there.  The squad will be looking at top 6 as an absolute minimum.

Thomas is aware some clubs are spending BIG money and it remains to be seen if this is the right way to go about things - we won't know for a while but he has a plan and he is sticking to it.

Thomas also said of our targets they would not be getting named widely to discourage a bidding war
    Smart move... 

I do wonder though if clubs openly tell others when approaches are made by multiple parties?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    ......... Guess people will end up waiting til after that game to buy or buy one in an undesireable location. One of those end blocks in the east or west - could be renamed the fairweather blocks?      
    Addick phones up the ticket office: "Hi, can I buy a season ticket in the West Stand near the halfway line, in the 'andy Fairweather-Low block?   

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well he obviously knows we aren't signing anyone 🙄🙄
    If he’s off to Suffolk for the weekend I’m gonna lose it..
    Well that's where the transfer action is!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    ......... Guess people will end up waiting til after that game to buy or buy one in an undesireable location. One of those end blocks in the east or west - could be renamed the fairweather blocks?      
    Addick phones up the ticket office: "Hi, can I buy a season ticket in the West Stand near the halfway line, in the 'andy Fairweather-Low block?   

I more a “H block” in the “STEPS Stand” bloke myself 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Swisdom said:
    Mr Sandgaard said himself this week that nobody is sitting on their hands, the recruitment team are all working hard and we have targets.  We also have a realistic budget and won't be paying silly money.  If the money is right we will do some deals - if not we leave it there.  The squad will be looking at top 6 as an absolute minimum.

Thomas is aware some clubs are spending BIG money and it remains to be seen if this is the right way to go about things - we won't know for a while but he has a plan and he is sticking to it.

Thomas also said of our targets they would not be getting named widely to discourage a bidding war
    Smart move... 

I do wonder though if clubs openly tell others when approaches are made by multiple parties?
    It's almost impossible to keep it totally quite though.  People "in the game" will always know.  90% of the time the player will know the club have made a bid for them.  Because they buying club will have told them!
  • Options
    I've binned the list after I upset a chap and he called it silly. 

:lol:

It's been unchanged for some time now. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Swisdom said:

Smart move... 

It’s a smart idea but not one that I see having too much impact. Agents know what’s going on and if a player of theirs is a target of let’s say Charlton they would 100% know. It’s their job to see if there are other clubs that also might be interested. Agents will in the main know what clubs are looking at what positions. I don’t see that a Charlton target not getting into the supporters domain being difficult but stopping other clubs knowing I would say is fantasy. 
  • Options
    I have no inside info whatsoever but I have this feeling that today is going to be a good day for announcements!
    And there's the first - Cawley's on hols.

Suggest you read my  "rumour" again folks. I said that it was going to be a "good day for announcements". Not a "day for good announcements".

How many do I need for a "green sticker" Dazzler?

Getting put on Dazzler's List is a bit like trying to beat the traffic lights changing.

You can see they're green; you put your foot on the gas as they go amber, and slam on the breaks as they turn red right in front of you.
    And stay red forever.
  • Options
    A big problem with this terrible thread is I think people just forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that two things can be true at once, which is often an issue on here. We need more players, that's true, and ideally we would have brought them all in on the first day of the transfer window opening. Sure. I don't think there's anyone who looks at our squad and thinks 'job done'. The other thing that is true though is that while it's ideal to get players in early so they can all become best friends jogging round the park together, that's only if the players are available. We've already heard from Gallen that Clare had only been available for 48 hours before we signed him; players' availability shifts as clubs make final decisions on them, and that's going to mostly be happening around deadline day. Not ideal, but it's the reality we'll be working with. We know we need more players, but they might not come before the season actually starts because that's the nature of the transfer window and other clubs' ways of managing their resources.  That's why I don't understand all the hand-wringing on here, when the window closes is the time to assess and possibly have a little cry, especially given that if we just signed players to get bodies in people would be complaining about that all season. Instead we've got people handing the title to Ipswich because they've signed a few names they've heard of. 11 in for Ipswich, 22 out; they had a hell of a lot of work to do and they still do.
    We need players. The players will probably come late due to reasons outside of our control. It's ok to not be happy with the current squad, but also we're not at death's door because we haven't got all our signings done in June.
    GM with the voice of reason again. Agree 100%.
    @Garrymanilow for Prime Minister 

I fear nuance is not something social media conveys well or encourages.

Not helped by trolls (not Golfie btw who is a miserable sod but not a troll) coming out from under their bridges to play their silly games on CL.

WIOTOS
  • Options
    I saw two magpies this morning whilst driving the car. Means only one thing, big day today ( not ITK)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:

Wide eyed and legless describes a few of players down the years and we often day amen when we win a corner.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!