Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    A young midfield is a big upgrade. We could have played a more dynamic one last year but Bowyer was afraid to as he probably didn't trust the defence.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:
    Are we backing NA in the transfer market? 

Just something does not seem right to me at the moment. You don't bring in an experienced and proven manager like him, get everybody on board about a huge rebuild. We have 3 "Senior" pros in Ronnie, Gilbey and Watson who have hardly played any pre-season minutes, let alone the new boys. The AMB situation still looms. 

One thing NA wanted at the end of last season - to replace squad players with first team players and reduce the average age of the team. Recently Gallen mentioned how we might bring in some experienced players to help for a season or two. We might have grossly misread and understood the transfer market this season. I feel we have.

I think we are very unprepared and weaker than how we ended the season.

I think we're very prepared in terms of the actual football. I also don't think we're really weaker than last year. Our midfield is such a huge upgrade already in terms of mobility and playing style, we're just severely lacking depth.

Hope you're right mate and hope we have less injuries than we seemed to have past few years as the lack of depth really concerns me.

Think we'll be ok for the first game but yeah if we start picking up injuries early things won't be looking good. We'll almost certainly be bringing in loans at some point and given how long we're waiting to do that they better be bloody good ones!
  • Options
    NA has said we have put bids in for players but doesn’t state if accepted or rejected. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.
    One. Week. Before. Seasons. Starts. Teams. Usually. Start. Their. Best. XI
    They have  Edmundson, Chaplin and Fraser not in the squad. 

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Good for them five strikers none of which id swap for Stockers 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
    Maybe not but I would take any of them instead of Davison frankly. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    Based on the fact he struggled in League Two and even below? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:

Just something does not seem right to me at the moment. You don't bring in an experienced and proven manager like him, get everybody on board about a huge rebuild. We have 3 "Senior" pros in Ronnie, Gilbey and Watson who have hardly played any pre-season minutes, let alone the new boys. The AMB situation still looms. 

One thing NA wanted at the end of last season - to replace squad players with first team players and reduce the average age of the team. Recently Gallen mentioned how we might bring in some experienced players to help for a season or two. We might have grossly misread and understood the transfer market this season. I feel we have.

I think we're very prepared in terms of the actual football. I also don't think we're really weaker than last year. Our midfield is such a huge upgrade already in terms of mobility and playing style, we're just severely lacking depth.

Hope you're right mate and hope we have less injuries than we seemed to have past few years as the lack of depth really concerns me.

Think we'll be ok for the first game but yeah if we start picking up injuries early things won't be looking good. We'll almost certainly be bringing in loans at some point and given how long we're waiting to do that they better be bloody good ones!
    The difference is, this season, we don't NEED Levitts or Smiths to make up the numbers.    We might take 1 1st time loan from a Chelsea or City but we are much more likely to be able to get Stockley and Shinnie types from the championship or 2nd time loans like Millar from the big clubs.

Of the 4 loans we will almost certainly get I am confident 3 of them will be very good.

Oh and I would give Madger a year, plus an option in our favour. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    If Davison is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:

The difference is, this season, we don't NEED Levitts or Smiths to make up the numbers.    We might take 1 1st time loan from a Chelsea or City but we are much more likely to be able to get Stockley and Shinnie types from the championship or 2nd time loans like Millar from the big clubs.

Of the 4 loans we will almost certainly get I am confident 3 of them will be very good.

Oh and I would give Madger a year, plus an option in our favour. 
    I would go as far as saying that if we don't give him a year, why give him a trial? He has done enough IMO.  
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Based on the fact he struggled in League Two and even below? 
    Do young players get better or stay the exact same standard??
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

What was my answer?  I just spoke about Adkins opinion?
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Watson and Gilbey have had Covid and Gilbey was injured before that.

Have we misjudged the market?

Perhaps but the five players we have signed all look good deals as much as anyone can tell in pre-season. They are experienced at this level and all are a good age. Morgan and DJ also look ready to step up. And Innis is s being managed back to match fitness.

We badly need more bodies but no one, least of all Adkins or Gallen, is saying we don't.

My take is we were too ambitious and missed out early on to Championship clubs.

Now we are waiting on league one clubs to drop their prices and EPL clubs to let their kids go out on loan.

Is that frustrating? Of course. We all want the whole squad assembled by 1 July but that never happens at any club.

Is that the same as not backing the manager? I'm not so sure. Gallen always said we'd get some early, some in the middle and some late.

I think not signing Gomes shows we are waiting to see if we can get better.  He's looked decent and if he signs tonight then fine but we haven't rushed in which to means we're not desperate and still expect more to come.

I'm not saying "everything will be fine, chill" because I can't see the future but premature evaluation can also be a problem.

Exactly what Mrs AUN says.
  • Options
    If Adkins comes out and says we are planning some serrrriiiioousss spending fam, the prices of players we seek will rocket, he’s clearly gonna be coy on the subject.  
  • Options
    What happened to the player who definitely signed 2 Friday's ago now? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    What happened to the player who definitely signed 2 Friday's ago now? 
    He's isolating round Ronnies.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 
    I’ve no idea, it’s as big an “if” than whether Davison will be good enough this season.  My argument is Adkins deemed him too good to loan out, so with that in mind he’s clearly making massive improvements or we’re too skint to find a new one.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

I’ve no idea, it’s as big an “if” than whether Davison will be good enough this season.  My argument is Adkins deemed him too good to loan out, so with that in mind he’s clearly making massive improvements or we’re too skint to find a new one.
    You might find it wasn't Adkins decision not to loan Davison out. I have a feeling someone higher than the manager is making those decisions and your last sentence is nearer the truth.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

You might find it wasn't Adkins decision not to loan Davison out. I have a feeling someone higher than the manager is making those decisions and your last sentence is nearer the truth.
    Well that we don’t know do we, maybe I’m glass half full on this one, but the point remains, let’s get behind the kid Davison and if we come 16th and he scores 2 in 40 then I’ll consider my position on him.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Davison may well have improved enough that he'll be a very useful addition to the squad. I very much doubt that he's got the strength and experience to be an effective line-leading solo striker, which if Stockley gets injured or suspended is the role he'll be forced to play.

Bringing him on here and there to build up experience and confidence is one thing. Relying on him being ready right now is another.
  • Options
    A little bit surprising that the only triallist we've had all summer is a central midfielder, a position where we're relatively well catered for anyway

If we really wanted to check Gomes out properly, maybe he should have started one of the PSF, instead of coming on later to play alongside the kids?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Davison may well have improved enough that he'll be a very useful addition to the squad. I very much doubt that he's got the strength and experience to be an effective line-leading solo striker, which if Stockley gets injured or suspended is the role he'll be forced to play.

Bringing him on here and there to build up experience and confidence is one thing. Relying on him being ready right now is another.
    “He had a loan spell last season, but I want him to be with us now.”

This is the quote, that could say 2nd or 3rd choice striker, I’m still convinced we’ll see another through the door up top any way.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!