Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    It’ll be the lack of goals @Oggy Red, it’s not an impressive record if we’re going to use him for a promotion challenge in a higher division is it?

I need to be convinced about the rest of his game as well as his goalscoring, though I won’t write him off, he’s young enough to make big improvements in his game.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Thus is still a "Covid" season.  With so many games in League 1 and such a thin squad, we have no chance of promotion as it stands.

The other teams in the same position as us will find the same thing.   That's why we need a minimum of 6-8 signings, including loans in, very quickly. 

If it’s a covid season and other teams are in the same boat, why have we got no chance of promotion 
    Because Ipswich and Wigan are not in the same boat and 4 teams that didn't get promoted finished above us, plus the 3 teams that came down, you should argue probably had better squads than ours, so as it stands, with losing Chuks, JFC being injured, then we have a lot of ground to catch up!
  • Options
    I don't have any inside knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes but if we go into the season with Leon Clarke 2.0 as our only senior striker I won't be impressed.
    A bit disingenuous I feel. Stockley is better that Leon Clarke. He might not be my choice of "frontman" but he showed last season he's good with his head. Only problem is that we aren't great with crossing & have no plan B if hitting it to the big man doesn't work. I'd much prefer a smaller natural striker like BWP or Bent. We dont seem to have had one of those for years. Nearest one was probably Grant.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’ll be the lack of goals @Oggy Red, it’s not an impressive record if we’re going to use him for a promotion challenge in a higher division is it?

I need to be convinced about the rest of his game as well as his goalscoring, though I won’t write him off, he’s young enough to make big improvements in his game.
    Fair enough, @Scoham ....... forwards are judged by many only on their goals scored. But as you suggest, these days there's more to a striker's role, creating moves and openings for others to score goals also.

And sometimes that role is from the bench, as we saw with Chuks last season.
    I'm not really comparing Davison to Chuks, but Davison works hard, physical and can be a handful. If that results in team mates scoring goals then he's made a major contribution.

Most of our judgements on Davison are based on watching the raw and sometimes naive 19 year old Davison thrust into Championship matches long before he would have been ready, 2 years go. I feel Davison himself was trying to say, that his loan spells last season at 2 different clubs playing 2 different roles had expanded his all round game, awareness and development.

We'll be able to judge for ourselves, of course ...... but already he seems to have sufficiently impressed Adkins.

• Options
    NA does not seem to be his usual smiley self in the recent two interviews nor any morning tweets?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still yet to be replaced: 

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
  • Options
    We’re Not the only ones bemoaning a lack of transfer activity!

• Options

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
    Oshilaja as a RCB as well.
  • Options

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
    Bielik, Aribo, Bauer, Cullen, Taylor, Grant...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
    I'd assume Barker or someone from the academy would fill in for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plenty of people on here said if we kept Inniss and Famewo in the defence we would piss this league, well they are…. An we won’t be.  Still hanging on just a little hope …. But, playoffs looking height of our ambition. 
    Playoffs is probably the height of any teams ambitions. Anything more would be arrogant in the extreme. I don’t think any team in league one will stroll it. Not even Ipswich.
    I believe at this stage of pre-season most promotion aspiring managers will say realistically: We're aiming for top 6 and to be in and around the promotion places in the final run in".

Something like that.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Thus is still a "Covid" season.  With so many games in League 1 and such a thin squad, we have no chance of promotion as it stands.

The other teams in the same position as us will find the same thing.   That's why we need a minimum of 6-8 signings, including loans in, very quickly. 

If it’s a covid season and other teams are in the same boat, why have we got no chance of promotion 
    Because Ipswich and Wigan are not in the same boat and 4 teams that didn't get promoted finished above us, plus the 3 teams that came down, you should argue probably had better squads than ours, so as it stands, with losing Chuks, JFC being injured, then we have a lot of ground to catch up!
    So we lose 15 goal Chuks and its a disaster but Sunderland lose 26 goal Charlie Wyke and they will still guaranteed to finish above us?  Lincoln have already lost their best player and will possibly lose some more.

Wycombe and Rotherham haven't done much in the market and Wednesday are still a mess and going to struggle to put a team out next Saturday.

We are still sort but with probably the exception of Oxford so is everyone else. 
    I've named 9 teams that could, in theory finish above us, you've just told me we are going to finish above them all.   That's ok then.   With a weaker team than last year, our top goalscorer gone, our most influential midfielder injured and no loans in place, we're going to piss this league.

Sorry for being slightly concerned.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Scoham said:

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
    If it is someone from the academy it certainly won't be Barker. 

Pearce, Gunter, Elewere, Dobson, Ness and probably Bakrin are more likely to play at RCB than Barker. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Maatsen, Aneke, Millar. 
    If it is someone from the academy it certainly won't be Barker. 

Pearce, Gunter, Elewere, Dobson, Ness and probably Bakrin or more likely to play at RCB than Barker. 
    It’s Elewere’s spot at the moment but he’s only 17, it’s a lot of pressure to put on him especially if Inniss picks up a long term injury. 

We also need to get him signed up on a long term pro contract (unless he already is and the club haven’t announced it).

Adkins talked about not blocking pathways for youngsters, but also bringing in some experience. I could see an older CB coming in on a 1 or 2 year deal, or maybe a season loan, that way Elewere can be eased in gently and given a break when needed.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.
    One. Week. Before. Seasons. Starts. Teams. Usually. Start. Their. Best. XI
    They have  Edmundson, Chaplin and Fraser not in the squad. 

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Good for them five strikers none of which id swap for Stockers 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
    Maybe not but I would take any of them instead of Davison frankly. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    If Davison is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question
    What was my answer?  I just spoke about Adkins opinion?
    If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 
    This time 3 years ago, Karlan Grant wasn't rated by many people on CL.
    Vetokele got injured pre-season and Karlan grabbed his chance.

Perhaps with Davison, despite the misgivings of many based on watching a raw young lad 2 years ago, maybe we should just wait and see how things unfold?

Remember also, Adkins has a reputation for providing a pathway for young players to prove themselves.
    He'll only do that if he has confidence in the player.

Grant at least showed something on loan. 

Davison has failed to make it into a team in a lower division. 
    We've covered this point already.

Promotion chasing Forest Green brought Davison in as cover for their big target man, who was playing well, scoring goals and didn't get injured.

Unless that striker lost form or was missing through injury, why would a less experienced player replace him?

Davison was asked to adapt his game to play a different role, one he'd no previous experience of playing.
    He nevertheless made 20 League Two appearances, both starts and from the bench, scoring 3 goals and a number of assists. 

Is that what you mean by saying, "Davison has failed to make it into a team in a lower division" ..... ?  

It seems to me he was a useful and valued member of their squad.

And he played both roles he is likely to be used with us this season both with and instead of Stockley...... 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    NA does not seem to be his usual smiley self in the recent two interviews nor any morning tweets?
    He’s recently recovered from Covid and wouldn’t have been going for walks while isolating.
    So is the cheery persona just an act. Surely the whole point of his daily "messages" was that life is good and we "go again" and that every day is a brand new day. Practice what you preach I say.....

(and funny because I posted something similar a few weeks ago saying imo it was all a bit tedious and false. I got a lot of peters for it but I stand by it even more now).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!