Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.
    One. Week. Before. Seasons. Starts. Teams. Usually. Start. Their. Best. XI
    They have  Edmundson, Chaplin and Fraser not in the squad. 

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Good for them five strikers none of which id swap for Stockers 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
    Maybe not but I would take any of them instead of Davison frankly. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    If Davison is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question
    What was my answer?  I just spoke about Adkins opinion?
    If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 
    This time 3 years ago, Karlan Grant wasn't rated by many people on CL.
    Vetokele got injured pre-season and Karlan grabbed his chance.

Perhaps with Davison, despite the misgivings of many based on watching a raw young lad 2 years ago, maybe we should just wait and see how things unfold?

Remember also, Adkins has a reputation for providing a pathway for young players to prove themselves.
    He'll only do that if he has confidence in the player.

Grant at least showed something on loan. 

Davison has failed to make it into a team in a lower division. 
    We've covered this point already.

Promotion chasing Forest Green brought Davison in as cover for their big target man, who was playing well, scoring goals and didn't get injured.

Unless that striker lost form or was missing through injury, why would a less experienced player replace him?

Davison was asked to adapt his game to play a different role, one he'd no previous experience of playing.
    He nevertheless made 20 League Two appearances, both starts and from the bench, scoring 3 goals and a number of assists. 

Is that what you mean by saying, "Davison has failed to make it into a team in a lower division" ..... ?  

It seems to me he was a useful and valued member of their squad.

So a player with these stats is going to be our plan B for the coming season? 

If he was a youth squad player that we were going to give the odd game in the EFL trophy I wouldn't mind at all. It's the fact he is our second choice striker for the coming season. 

If we are looking at chasing promotion, relying on a player that has only ever reliably scored goals in the Isthmian League isn't my idea of a safe bet. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 

Perhaps with Davison, despite the misgivings of many based on watching a raw young lad 2 years ago, maybe we should just wait and see how things unfold?

Remember also, Adkins has a reputation for providing a pathway for young players to prove themselves.

Grant did well on loan.
    And so did Davison. He improved his all round game and did what was asked of him.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

Promotion chasing Forest Green brought Davison in as cover for their big target man, who was playing well, scoring goals and didn't get injured.

Unless that striker lost form or was missing through injury, why would a less experienced player replace him?

Davison was asked to adapt his game to play a different role, one he'd no previous experience of playing.
    He nevertheless made 20 League Two appearances, both starts and from the bench, scoring 3 goals and a number of assists. 

Is that what you mean by saying, "Davison has failed to make it into a team in a lower division" ..... ?  

He had zero assists. 

All-time career stats: 

46 games

8 goals

1 assist. 

A goal every 328 minutes. 
  • Options
    NA does not seem to be his usual smiley self in the recent two interviews nor any morning tweets?
    He was smiling all afternoon yesterday walking around the pitch and having photos with supporters. 
  • Options
    Jacob Roddy has played in both full back positions in the friendlies. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Thus is still a "Covid" season.  With so many games in League 1 and such a thin squad, we have no chance of promotion as it stands.

The other teams in the same position as us will find the same thing.   That's why we need a minimum of 6-8 signings, including loans in, very quickly. 

If it’s a covid season and other teams are in the same boat, why have we got no chance of promotion 
    Because Ipswich and Wigan are not in the same boat and 4 teams that didn't get promoted finished above us, plus the 3 teams that came down, you should argue probably had better squads than ours, so as it stands, with losing Chuks, JFC being injured, then we have a lot of ground to catch up!
    So we lose 15 goal Chuks and its a disaster but Sunderland lose 26 goal Charlie Wyke and they will still guaranteed to finish above us?  Lincoln have already lost their best player and will possibly lose some more.

Wycombe and Rotherham haven't done much in the market and Wednesday are still a mess and going to struggle to put a team out next Saturday.

We are still sort but with probably the exception of Oxford so is everyone else. 
    I've named 9 teams that could, in theory finish above us, you've just told me we are going to finish above them all.   That's ok then.   With a weaker team than last year, our top goalscorer gone, our most influential midfielder injured and no loans in place, we're going to piss this league.

Sorry for being slightly concerned.

I haven't said we are going to finish above them.  We are short, we know we are short, Thomas, Gallen and Adkins have said we are short. 

Portsmouth are short, their manager has said so, Sunderland are short their manager has said so, Rotherham are short, their manager has said so.  I could go on. 

Every one bar Oxford and Morecambe are well short on the number of players they had last season, even Wigan and Ipswich.

Saying you think we are short isn't some sort of unique insightful take.  Stevie Wonder could see it.   So is everyone else.  We are in the same situation as almost everyone else. 

The window is open for another month and due to Covid, Brexit, the Euros and multiple other reasons there is more still to happen than normal.  Even in "normal" times a lot of business happens late. 

We short?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    It. Is. A. Friendly.

So a player with these stats is going to be our plan B for the coming season? 

If he was a youth squad player that we were going to give the odd game in the EFL trophy I wouldn't mind at all. It's the fact he is our second choice striker for the coming season. 

If we are looking at chasing promotion, relying on a player that has only ever reliably scored goals in the Isthmian League isn't my idea of a safe bet. 
    Mate, I don't know why you've got such a downer on Josh Davison.

He's a young player making his way, works hard, spot on attitude and hungry to succeed.
    His manager rates him.

Give him a chance.

At the start of the window no one would have thought we'd only have Stockley and Davison as our attacking options. 

The rewriting of Davison to make him seem like he's a world beater is comical. He's a last resort clearly because we have no other attacking options in the squad.

Adkins praising him because Davison and Stockley is literally all he has should be taken with a pinch of salt. 
    But this is all just conspiracy, rather than just taking the manager at his word, that he does actually rate Davison. 

He heaped praise on him at the q&a and said he's scoring goals for fun in training. He said they're really pleased with him. 

At the end of the day, if a manager goes heaping praise on a player in public and they turn out to be poor, the manager knows his judgement is going to be called into question. 

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.... He rates the bloke. 
  • Options
    Hate to be that guy, but I just don't think we have sufficient depth in the squad at the moment.

I will probably get pelters for saying that, but it's just how I feel.

Maybe you lot are all in the right and everything will be fine (I sure hope so!)

• Options
    Plenty of people on here said if we kept Inniss and Famewo in the defence we would piss this league, well they are…. An we won’t be.  Still hanging on just a little hope …. But, playoffs looking height of our ambition. 
    The window hasn’t closed yet. 
  • Options
    We don't just have Stockley and Davison.

We also have Washington.

There is also Ronnie and Aoucheria but as neither has played at all pre-season we can discount them for now.

Obviously we're short but let's not ignore a full international who scored for us last season.
  • Options
    Hate to be that guy, but I just don't think we have sufficient depth in the squad at the moment.

Maybe you lot are all in the right and everything will be fine (I sure hope so!)

I think everyone pretty much agrees that we don't currently have sufficient depth. It all depends on the caiber of player we bring in in the next couple of weeks. I think with a few decent additions, and NA's qualities as a manager, we'll be competitive.
  • Options

We also have Washington.

There is also Ronnie and Aoucheria but as neither has played at all pre-season we can discount them for now.

Obviously we're short but let's not ignore a full international who scored for us last season.
    Who's playing on the wing when he's up front? 
  • Options

We also have Washington.

But we still have him.

He's still our player.

He's still a forward.
  • Options

We also have Washington.

ThE wInDoW hAs NoT cLoSeD yEt!!!!

If you think we are going to only have the strikers AND wide players we have now until May that's a completely different argument.

Stockley, Davison plus 1
    DJ Claydon plus 1

AND Washington

Would be more than most, if the plus 1s are 1st team players. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:
    Are we backing NA in the transfer market? 

Just something does not seem right to me at the moment. You don't bring in an experienced and proven manager like him, get everybody on board about a huge rebuild. We have 3 "Senior" pros in Ronnie, Gilbey and Watson who have hardly played any pre-season minutes, let alone the new boys. The AMB situation still looms. 

One thing NA wanted at the end of last season - to replace squad players with first team players and reduce the average age of the team. Recently Gallen mentioned how we might bring in some experienced players to help for a season or two. We might have grossly misread and understood the transfer market this season. I feel we have.

I think we are very unprepared and weaker than how we ended the season.

I think we're very prepared in terms of the actual football. I also don't think we're really weaker than last year. Our midfield is such a huge upgrade already in terms of mobility and playing style, we're just severely lacking depth.

Hope you're right mate and hope we have less injuries than we seemed to have past few years as the lack of depth really concerns me.

Think we'll be ok for the first game but yeah if we start picking up injuries early things won't be looking good. We'll almost certainly be bringing in loans at some point and given how long we're waiting to do that they better be bloody good ones!
    The difference is, this season, we don't NEED Levitts or Smiths to make up the numbers.    We might take 1 1st time loan from a Chelsea or City but we are much more likely to be able to get Stockley and Shinnie types from the championship or 2nd time loans like Millar from the big clubs.

Of the 4 loans we will almost certainly get I am confident 3 of them will be very good.

Oh and I would give Madger a year, plus an option in our favour. 
    I would go as far as saying that if we don't give him a year, why give him a trial? He has done enough IMO.  
    So you're saying that every player we give a trial will automatically get a 1 year contract. 
    Apologies, but the whole purpose of a trial is to establish if you wish to offer a player a contract.
    You don't give someone a 1 year contract automatically.
    Of course that isn't what I said. I feel he has done enough performance wise. If you are going to give somebody a trial and they do well, you would expect them to be taken on. Doing well isn't playing like Messi of course. Wouldn't it be great if you gave players trials and you find a Ronaldo and Messi? No problem if you disagree, but he has performed well IMO. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    NA does not seem to be his usual smiley self in the recent two interviews nor any morning tweets?
    He was smiling all afternoon yesterday walking around the pitch and having photos with supporters. 

Crying Smile GIFs  Tenor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You won't be "that guy".  You'll be one of "those guys".
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Last signing was 12 days ago. 

31 days to go. 
  • Options
    Since the days of Crofts, Ulvestaadt and Foley our midfield has generally lacked a bit of athleticism, and I wouldn’t under estimate the difference Clare and Dobson could make this season. Just need a vg left back to make us very strong defensively. 
  • Options
    every thread is the same, the positive fans say positive things and the negative fans say negative things, do not get upset by this, this is how the world works.
  • Options

Is this a woosh ? 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    He’s recently recovered from Covid and wouldn’t have been going for walks while isolating.
    So is the cheery persona just an act. Surely the whole point of his daily "messages" was that life is good and we "go again" and that every day is a brand new day. Practice what you preach I say.....

(and funny because I posted something similar a few weeks ago saying imo it was all a bit tedious and false. I got a lot of peters for it but I stand by it even more now).
    Good god, has it really come to this...

Because he didn't smile and say "life is good, we go again" yesterday he's tedious and false... 

Get a grip Golfie 👍

I love the way people twist what others say.

I didnt say that because he didnt smile yesterday he was tedious & false. I said that his previous daily messages that he used to post were tedious & false.......and maybe to be proved to be the case if he is no longer doing so. 

It's so easy to be cheerful when you are on top of the world......its a bit harder when you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. Just trying to point out the inconsistencies with his "always bright & happy" daily messages.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!