Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.
    One. Week. Before. Seasons. Starts. Teams. Usually. Start. Their. Best. XI
    They have  Edmundson, Chaplin and Fraser not in the squad. 

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Good for them five strikers none of which id swap for Stockers 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
    Maybe not but I would take any of them instead of Davison frankly. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    If Davison is the answer, you’re asking the wrong question
    What was my answer?  I just spoke about Adkins opinion?
    If you offered the chance for Adkins to swap Davison for one of Ipswich's strikers, you think Adkins would say 'No thanks, Davison is better than all of them.'? 
    This time 3 years ago, Karlan Grant wasn't rated by many people on CL.
    Vetokele got injured pre-season and Karlan grabbed his chance.

Perhaps with Davison, despite the misgivings of many based on watching a raw young lad 2 years ago, maybe we should just wait and see how things unfold?

Remember also, Adkins has a reputation for providing a pathway for young players to prove themselves.
    He'll only do that if he has confidence in the player.

Karlan had a loan deal where he banged in a load of goals. That's the key difference for me.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Chicago Addick’s recent blog sums it up well for me, our squad which failed last term has been depleted further particularly attacking wise. Particularly we seem very short on the goals at present based on last season.

What concerns me on these occasions is the disparity between the stated ambition, the assessment of the current squad quality, and the activity in the transfer market, add to that the realities of League One football currently and a possible underestimation of what resources are need to secure the players to compete.
    IMO we’ve kept the players we should have kept and lost the ones we should be looking to improve on if we want to win something, ie promotion. That’s not depleting the squad, unless we are just talking about how many players we have compared to last season at the end of each of the two transfer windows 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    razil said:
    Chicago Addick’s recent blog sums it up well for me, our squad which failed last term has been depleted further particularly attacking wise. Particularly we seem very short on the goals at present based on last season.

What concerns me on these occasions is the disparity between the stated ambition, the assessment of the current squad quality, and the activity in the transfer market, add to that the realities of League One football currently and a possible underestimation of what resources are need to secure the players to compete.
    IMO we’ve kept the players we should have kept and lost the ones we should be looking to improve on if we want to win something, ie promotion. That’s not depleting the squad, unless we are just talking about how many players we have compared to last season at the end of each of the two transfer windows 
    We haven't replaced Maatsen, Millar or Aneke though. I wasn't Millar's biggest fan, but he's better than the options we have on the bench atm.

Plenty of time left in the window, and I won't worry until it's closed, but we're not stronger now as a squad than we were at the end of last season. 
  • Options
    What do I know about football but I thought Maarten was a weak link as a defender, Millar would go missing if the ball wasn’t always being played to him, Aneke was a bit player. 
    Right, but instead of having them we have no one. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    I skim read this thread now and only read the posts with 5+ likes. Helps cut out the waffle. 
    Charming
     :-(

Would this be a good time to say I’m really looking forward to Saturday and think some could be pleasantly surprised?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Ipswich all the rage on here of late and they have had what looks like a good window, but they’re starting either Bonne and Pigott up top today, are we really envious of that, really?!
    It. Is. A. Friendly.
    One. Week. Before. Seasons. Starts. Teams. Usually. Start. Their. Best. XI
    They have  Edmundson, Chaplin and Fraser not in the squad. 

Ipswich have Pigott, Bonne, Chaplin, Jackson and Norwood as potential strikers. I'm sure they'll be fine. 
    Good for them five strikers none of which id swap for Stockers 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
    Maybe not but I would take any of them instead of Davison frankly. 
    Based on?  I’ve seen him play twice when he was 19, you?  Davison is an untried and untested improving kid that our new manager deemed too good to loan out, you might be right, but you might wrong.
    Based on the fact he struggled in League Two and even below? 
    Where's all this Davison ".... struggled in League Two and even below" come from?

He played as the target man at Woking, laying off and bringing team mates into play. Scored 3 goals in 11 matches.
    It was a short loan, only 11 or 12 weeks.

Promotion chasing League Two Forest Green Rovers were sufficiently impressed to bring Davison in as cover for their big main striker playing the target man role, in good form, scoring goals and never got injured. Rather than be restricted in appearances, Davison adapted to a different role.

In Davison's own words: “At Woking I was the target man, I’d be winning headers and holding the ball up from long balls. At Forest Green I’m asked to spin channels and play off our big striker. The experiences I’ve had this season have been great, helping me to learn different sides of the game. At Charlton I was always known for my work rate so hopefully I’m learning more than just that.”

https://www.valleygold.org.uk/2021/03/22/life-on-loan-josh-davison-on-his-loan-spells-at-woking-and-forest-green-rovers/
    I think from fans like me who saw him play a few full games for FGR last season and thought he looked very poor.
    (I'm not saying he will be this season or can't improve, but if you look poor in L2 ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Since the days of Crofts, Ulvestaadt and Foley our midfield has generally lacked a bit of athleticism, and I wouldn’t under estimate the difference Clare and Dobson could make this season. Just need a vg left back to make us very strong defensively. 
    Vegan?
  • Options

Another one bites the dust 

(Yes I know we might not have been in for him anyway)
  • Options
    Or things could change like they did with Stockley (who at one point said to be signing for Pompey) and chooses us.

Is he a quick attacking left back, or your solid type more like Purrington? Because I'd rather add the former to give us something different going forward. I think that's important when our current three full backs aren't great when attacking or the quickest.

Some have said Ogilvie can also play CB. Having not watched him closely I assume therefore he's more like Purrington than Maatsen or Wiggins?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I skim read this thread now and only read the posts with 5+ likes. Helps cut out the waffle. 
    Charming
     :-(

Would this be a good time to say I’m really looking forward to Saturday and think some could be pleasantly surprised?
    I'm absolutely buzzing for Saturday and have been counting down  the days for weeks now.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:
    Are we backing NA in the transfer market? 

Just something does not seem right to me at the moment. You don't bring in an experienced and proven manager like him, get everybody on board about a huge rebuild. We have 3 "Senior" pros in Ronnie, Gilbey and Watson who have hardly played any pre-season minutes, let alone the new boys. The AMB situation still looms. 

One thing NA wanted at the end of last season - to replace squad players with first team players and reduce the average age of the team. Recently Gallen mentioned how we might bring in some experienced players to help for a season or two. We might have grossly misread and understood the transfer market this season. I feel we have.

I think we are very unprepared and weaker than how we ended the season.

I think we're very prepared in terms of the actual football. I also don't think we're really weaker than last year. Our midfield is such a huge upgrade already in terms of mobility and playing style, we're just severely lacking depth.

Hope you're right mate and hope we have less injuries than we seemed to have past few years as the lack of depth really concerns me.

Think we'll be ok for the first game but yeah if we start picking up injuries early things won't be looking good. We'll almost certainly be bringing in loans at some point and given how long we're waiting to do that they better be bloody good ones!
    The difference is, this season, we don't NEED Levitts or Smiths to make up the numbers.    We might take 1 1st time loan from a Chelsea or City but we are much more likely to be able to get Stockley and Shinnie types from the championship or 2nd time loans like Millar from the big clubs.

Of the 4 loans we will almost certainly get I am confident 3 of them will be very good.

Oh and I would give Madger a year, plus an option in our favour. 
    I would go as far as saying that if we don't give him a year, why give him a trial? He has done enough IMO.  
    So you're saying that every player we give a trial will automatically get a 1 year contract. 
    Apologies, but the whole purpose of a trial is to establish if you wish to offer a player a contract.
    You don't give someone a 1 year contract automatically.
    Of course that isn't what I said. I feel he has done enough performance wise. If you are going to give somebody a trial and they do well, you would expect them to be taken on. Doing well isn't playing like Messi of course. Wouldn't it be great if you gave players trials and you find a Ronaldo and Messi? No problem if you disagree, but he has performed well IMO. 
    Yes I agree if you trial someone and they do enough to meet your requirements you should offer them a deal.
    The confusion was because you said "if we don't give him a year, why give him a trial".
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    We don't just have Stockley and Davison.

We also have Washington.

There is also Ronnie and Aoucheria but as neither has played at all pre-season we can discount them for now.

Obviously we're short but let's not ignore a full international who scored for us last season.
    Who's playing on the wing when he's up front? 

From what I saw last season the idea was Washington would drift wide say on the left and try to whip the ball into the box with his right foot but when the ball is wide on the right Conor would get into the box to support the lone striker.
    (Chuks or Stockley)

I remain a fan of two strikers up front even though in modern football you have to close down and drop back when out of possession.
    Burnley very successful with 4-4-2 In possession and 4-4-1-1 out of possession. From League 1 to Premier playing this way.

We Could play with 3 at the back or 2 wingers with limited attacking full backs. 
    Lee Bowyer tried to do both one game and the full back and Millar kept doing the same run.

• Options

😉

* I believe O'Rouke is more right then wrong. 
    Good point!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah O’Rourke peddles news fed by agents, could well be true or, as Cawley eluded when he linked us with Mullen, his agent is looking to get his price up. We will see. 
  • Options
    Ogilvie is 25, the best team he has played for as an adult is Gillingham, that says it all really.
  • Options
    ‘Closing in on’ is so vague too. Believe it when I see it
  • Options
    But remember Ogilvie wants to play center back.....

..... So we have been told all summer. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    ‘Closing in on’ is so vague too. Believe it when I see it
    WIOTPOS
  • Options
    On the basis that O'Rourke and FootyInsider247 are more or less the same entity, Ogilvie is due to have a medical at Pompey next week

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    But remember Ogilvie wants to play center back.....

..... So we have been told all summer. 

Indeed. Bit of a shame if true as he'd be ideal as a left back for us and also provide cover for CB.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!