Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Best of luck to all the youngsters that have been released.

Charlton has been a huge part of
    many of their young lives.
  • Best of luck to all the youngsters that have been released.

Hopefully the next time someone moans about a player we would like to stay not being “loyal” to us they remember the multitudes of young players that we release every year. It’s tough, but it’s not personal, football doesn’t have much room for loyalty from players/managers to the club they are employed by and vice versa. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Watson's 10 years in the PL, scoring the winner in the FA Cup final has absolutely zero relevance to how he is being or should be assessed as a Charlton player. 
    Disagree. But I would be interested in how you assess him as a Charlton player. Under Nige, he's done pretty well from what I've seen. 
    So we should sign Gary Lineker because of his scoring record? Watson has had a decent career, not sure I've seen anyone say otherwise, but that career is coming to an end. His past performances mean nothing if he's not performing for us in the present. For what it's worth, I think he's ok, nothing more and am not totally against him being given another year, but no way should he be a regular and CM is an area I expect us to sign the most players. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    I find the disrespect shown to Watson staggering. This is a guy who has spent best part of 10 years in the Premier League,  knows how to play the big game, scoring the winner in the Cup Final, and surely would be a great role model for the young team we're looking to build. Yes, he and Pratley together last season brings back horrific memories of overly defensive home games that ultimately cost us a play off place, but we need some experience in the squad, and the guys we want to buy won't have it. Would expect Nige to be leveraging his, Gunter's and Pearce's experience as players to see games out, whilst we build an attacking side that takes games to teams. 
    Every team needs a Watson type player .. someone who does the dirty work and set things going .. makes important tackles and blocks ...... when Watson was missing we conceded number of goals coming through our midfield ..once he returned they stopped ....... there was one game when he won more headers in our box then the centre half’s 

not sure what people want from him ... he does the job he paid to do and does it very well 
    Watson isn't that great at the dirty work though

There have been games in which he played where we've been cut open in midfield, e.g. MKD at home

• Sponsored links:

• What about Davison?
    Has a year left. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Watson's 10 years in the PL, scoring the winner in the FA Cup final has absolutely zero relevance to how he is being or should be assessed as a Charlton player. 
    Disagree. But I would be interested in how you assess him as a Charlton player. Under Nige, he's done pretty well from what I've seen. 
    So we should sign Gary Lineker because of his scoring record? Watson has had a decent career, not sure I've seen anyone say otherwise, but that career is coming to an end. His past performances mean nothing if he's not performing for us in the present. For what it's worth, I think he's ok, nothing more and am not totally against him being given another year, but no way should he be a regular and CM is an area I expect us to sign the most players. 
    No, clearly not, but it's not irrelevant. The games where I've seen him supporting as part of the 4-5-1 I've seen more of the old Watson. Personally think we've used him badly this season, especially under Bowyer. And past performances at other clubs give him credit. Agree he's not been POTY, in fact the statbank tells us the opposite, but we're building a squad... take him out you leave a Watson-sized hole.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    No, clearly not, but it's not irrelevant. The games where I've seen him supporting as part of the 4-5-1 I've seen more of the old Watson. Personally think we've used him badly this season, especially under Bowyer. And past performances at other clubs give him credit. Agree he's not been POTY, in fact the statbank tells us the opposite, but we're building a squad... take him out you leave a Watson-sized hole.
    Couldn't disagree more, especially as one of those clubs is Palace! In all seriousness though, I never look a players past and think yes he's well in credit let's sign him up. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Couldn't disagree more, especially as one of those clubs is Palace! In all seriousness though, I never look a players past and think yes he's well in credit let's sign him up. 
    Then how do you decide who you'd like to sign?
  • Jonniesta said:
    I find the disrespect shown to Watson staggering. This is a guy who has spent best part of 10 years in the Premier League,  knows how to play the big game, scoring the winner in the Cup Final, and surely would be a great role model for the young team we're looking to build. Yes, he and Pratley together last season brings back horrific memories of overly defensive home games that ultimately cost us a play off place, but we need some experience in the squad, and the guys we want to buy won't have it. Would expect Nige to be leveraging his, Gunter's and Pearce's experience as players to see games out, whilst we build an attacking side that takes games to teams. 
    Every team needs a Watson type player .. someone who does the dirty work and set things going .. makes important tackles and blocks ...... when Watson was missing we conceded number of goals coming through our midfield ..once he returned they stopped ....... there was one game when he won more headers in our box then the centre half’s 

not sure what people want from him ... he does the job he paid to do and does it very well 
    Watson isn't that great at the dirty work though

There have been games in which he played where we've been cut open in midfield, e.g. MKD at home

What the game where Bowyer got out coached by the MK manager .. we had three in mid they had 5 so I think whoever was in our mid would gave had a very hard job plus Gunter and Pratley has back up centre backs 
  • I think we could probably attract a better player (experienced pro) to do the job that Watson does, however if he's triggered another year then he'll likely be here unless we come to an agreement.

He's always a booking waiting to happen and for that reason alone he's a bit of a liability.

His past career should have absolutely no bearing on what he does for us. JFH was a great prem striker but generally toilet for us.
    I don't think we'd get those same experience levels for the price of Watson.

I believe and have no basis for this other than common sense, but I expect we're negotiating for a lower salary due to not being promoted. 
  • edited May 2021
    I think we could probably attract a better player (experienced pro) to do the job that Watson does, however if he's triggered another year then he'll likely be here unless we come to an agreement.

He's always a booking waiting to happen and for that reason alone he's a bit of a liability.

His past career should have absolutely no bearing on what he does for us. JFH was a great prem striker but generally toilet for us.
    Also I don't think I'd have been that interested in Kermorgant if we looked at his last action in English Football before we signed him... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CeLuXuHtq8
  • Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Maybe based on the previous years performances yes, maybe even, not the fact he spent a decade playing in the Prem, his debut being 17 years ago. How well he played in 2004-2005 means nothing now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Watson stays I’m sure he won’t be anything more than cover, same goes for Pearce. 

When Watson’s playing needs to be at the base of a midfield 3 with plenty of pace and energy around him, and a team at least trying to play a passing game. He won’t add much in games like Accrington away where the ball spends more time in the air (be nice if we can mice away from performances like that).
  • Scoham said:
    If Watson stays I’m sure he won’t be anything more than cover, same goes for Pearce. 

When Watson’s playing needs to be at the base of a midfield 3 with plenty of pace and energy around him, and a team at least trying to play a passing game. He won’t add much in games like Accrington away where the ball spends more time in the air (be nice if we can mice away from performances like that).
    This was the reason ( if resources had allowed) that I wanted Pratley to stay as well . Generally in a choice I am happy with Watson over Darren but the Accrington game as well as his successful man marking of Fraser in the MKD match demonstrated that he has his uses and I hope we will bring someone in who can mix it a bit .

Like others it was when Bows played them both together that I felt that they both suffered .
  • Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Maybe based on the previous years performances yes, maybe even, not the fact he spent a decade playing in the Prem, his debut being 17 years ago. How well he played in 2004-2005 means nothing now. 
    Awfully close to advocating for the signing of nicky ajose
  • LTKapal said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:
    mendonca said:
    Awfully close to advocating for the signing of nicky ajose
    Nicky Ajose looks a terrible signing now, but not many people thought that at the time. We signed Watson off the back of his 2019/2020 form, but what about 2018/2019? He barely played that season. Signing players based on their careers is pretty much exactly the opposite of what Adkins is going to do for me. He's going to be signing young hungry players. 
  • se9addick said:
    Best of luck to all the youngsters that have been released.

Hopefully the next time someone moans about a player we would like to stay not being “loyal” to us they remember the multitudes of young players that we release every year. It’s tough, but it’s not personal, football doesn’t have much room for loyalty from players/managers to the club they are employed by and vice versa. 
    This argument is made every year but makes no sense.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think we could probably attract a better player (experienced pro) to do the job that Watson does, however if he's triggered another year then he'll likely be here unless we come to an agreement.

Also I don't think I'd have been that interested in Kermorgant if we looked at his last action in English Football before we signed him... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CeLuXuHtq8
    Yann did that on purpose to force a move to us 😉
  • Maccn05 said:
    The problem with Watson is not what he does on the ball or in the changing room it's simply the fact that his legs have totally gone.

He can't move, has no pace and when you look at the numerous bookings, most are because he leaves a leg out and then can't get it out of the way - which makes him a liability in and around our box.

A shame really as he does tick the ball over nicely in the middle.
    100%.
  • edited May 2021
    se9addick said:
    Best of luck to all the youngsters that have been released.

I don't think it's 'loyal' or even kind to keep players on at a club where they don't have an honest chance of breaking into the first team. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!