Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If we sign Famewo I'd want us to potentially bring in two other Centre-Backs still

Unless we have someone on the cusp playing for the U23s on a regular basis.

Having just four CBs of Inniss | Famewo | Pearce | one other, would worry me if the first two got into trouble again
    I'd love someone like a Jack Tucker/Reece Burke challenging Inniss, and then maybe a Connor Ogilvie who could cover LCB but also be a starting LB, then Jason as emergency cover. 
  • Could be we do a deal with Norwich whereby they get first refusal to buy him back at a set amount?
  • If we sign Famewo I'd want us to potentially bring in two other Centre-Backs still

Unless we have someone on the cusp playing for the U23s on a regular basis.

Having just four CBs of Inniss | Famewo | Pearce | one other, would worry me if the first two got into trouble again
    I'd love someone like a Jack Tucker/Reece Burke challenging Inniss, and then maybe a Connor Ogilvie who could cover LCB but also be a starting LB, then Jason as emergency cover. 
    Would question if the likes of Jack Tucker or Reece Burke would want to go somewhere where they'd be first choice at this level.
  • Getting Famewo on a perm would be a brilliant bit of business, just have to hope Innis can stay fit for the majority of the season to partner him.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Interesting on Charlton TV tonight, as I'm sure I hear Thomas say that we're trying to sign TWO of the loan players on permanent deals. Stockley is obviously one of them, but who would the other one be? 
    Famewo I hope, but I'd welcome Maatsen back too 
    I’d be pleased with famewo as he showed before he got injured more so what a good defender he is. Wouldn’t be overly disappointed if we didn’t see maatsen again, not that I disliked him as a player, but his distribution was woeful quite often. His first couple of games he looked far too good for the league, but then he didn’t after that!!. Young and learning I guess.🙄
  • paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Interesting on Charlton TV tonight, as I'm sure I hear Thomas say that we're trying to sign TWO of the loan players on permanent deals. Stockley is obviously one of them, but who would the other one be? 
    Famewo I hope, but I'd welcome Maatsen back too 
    I’d be pleased with famewo as he showed before he got injured more so what a good defender he is. Wouldn’t be overly disappointed if we didn’t see maatsen again, not that I disliked him as a player, but his distribution was woeful quite often. His first couple of games he looked far too good for the league, but then he didn’t after that!!. Young and learning I guess.🙄
    He did then improve again under Adkins, I don't like that I'm thinking this way, but I think s good number of players deserve a bit of a break for the November - March period.

Not a free pass as many of them were very experienced, but the young lads. Especially Maatsen.. Definitely.
  • Interesting reading the Norwich forum, they’re expecting Famewo to stick around and be used as a backup CB next season 
  • Interesting reading the Norwich forum, they’re expecting Famewo to stick around and be used as a backup CB next season 
    If he's back to, he may avoid injury.
  • Can’t see Famewo signing in a million years. He’s so highly thought of at Norwich, I can’t imagine they’d be happy to sell him at this point.

He’s still got a number of years left on his contract, one decent season on loan in the Championship and he’s suddenly worth 10x more than what he is today. Norwich are smart enough to hold on to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    I think if we manage to sign Famewo that could be our best bit of business. I know alot on here dont rate him but I think he will go up to premiership standard given time. Bloke is an athlete and super calm

Would be a great signing. One thing I always forget is that he's only 22 and I always keep judging his performances as if he's mid to late twenties, which is credit to how well he can play already.

Whenever he's put in a slightly disappointing performance it's well worth remembering he is still very young and will only get better and be more consistent. Would be very impressed and quite surprised if we can land him on a permanent.
  • Have we dismissed any possibility that it might be Millar?
  • Have we dismissed any possibility that it might be Millar?
    To me it's just as likely/unlikely as Famewo
  • I would expect it to be Stockley (obviously) and Miller.  Miller has no chance of making it at Liverpool and is raw enough that he may not have Championship clubs chasing him.  At his age and with his pace I think at the right price he would make a great addition.  

I just can't see Norwich parting with Famewo on a perm basis and whilst I rate him highly as someone said above, Innis, him and Pearce as 3 of 4 CBs is a risk with their respective injury records
  • I reckon it's Millar and obviously Stockley.

Millars contract appears to be up with Liverpool, he's 21 so I don't see him anywhere near their first team.

I will actually be more surprised if Stockley isn't a Charlton player next season based on his comments and I reckon we could get him for a really decent fee. 
  • I'd be happy to resign Millar - the more I think about it, he was quite similar to Doughty. Raw pace and athleticism, very one footed, suspect decision making. Conventional wisdom on here was that Doughty was a great prospect who we didn't want to leave but Millar was seen as a frustrating waste of time buy a lot of folks, when perhaps the main differnec was one was "ours" and the other was a loan.

Him and Famewo are exactly the sort of players we should be trying to sign on permanents if TS wants to build fast but sustainable success. They might seem ambitious signings, and may require a bit of a reach in terms of fee and wages, but the potential upside on them is big in terms of both of them have the potential to step up to at least Championship level with more experience and good coaching.
  • Is it 'Obviously Stockley' or 'Stockley Obviously'?  Both of them could do a job for us, but.
  • Alfie was a much better prospect than Millar, bigger and quicker and his final ball / finishing was improving at an incredible rate... whereas Millar hasn’t all and is very predictable.

I miss Alfie, he would have torn the league apart last season 
  • Much more likely to be Millar than Famewo for me. Famewo could still kick on to be premier league level and Norwich know that. Millar on the other hand has had an up and down spell with us and is already 21 and has already struggled in Scotland. Liverpool know the potential fee is unlikely to get much better so might be happy to let him go with a bit of a sell on. 
  • Got to be Millar, I'd love it to be Maatsen but cant see it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Curveball, it's Millar and Famewo. Stockley's already signed with Hull... :-)
  • I reckon it's Millar and obviously Stockley.

Millars contract appears to be up with Liverpool, he's 21 so I don't see him anywhere near their first team.

I will actually be more surprised if Stockley isn't a Charlton player next season based on his comments and I reckon we could get him for a really decent fee. 
    Millar signed a new contract at Liverpool days before he joined us.
  • edited May 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I wouldn't rule out it being Matt Smith.  Don't all laugh!

He is in his last year at Arsenal, unlike Chelsea they don't collect players in their 20s to loan out. 

He isn't 21 until October so I don't think he would be included in the salary cap, if it or something similar was reintroduced.  I am not sure if he would be included in the squad limit?

Shinnie and Pratley have gone, Watson is tbc and JFC won't play again this year.    It's a position we need at least 3 players in for and he has great potential and could be part of the "journey".

You can point to the fact Adkins didn't use him. I don't think that's a good messuring stick because he stuck to a team and couldn't really experiment with the time he had.  He didn't really disappoint when he did play though. 

If we had not signed him on loan in January and he had carried on his form at Swindon he would be exactly the sort of player people would be saying we should be signing.

It would help address the talent drain we have seen that has bereft of quality in the 19-21 range.

He is exactly the sort of player I could see being a championship starter in 2 years time.  Add in the fact Adkins and his staff would know exactly what they are getting, in terms of both ability and character. 

It's not really as silly as it first sounds, is it? 

Could be. But if Adkins rated him, why didn’t he play him?
    Because he had to win games in a short space of time.  He didn't play Mingi, he is exactly the same age, either and we have offered him a contract.  You can rate someone with out playing them, especially at 20 years old. 

I would suggest Smith is more likely to be a first team player, at this level, next season. 
  • edited May 2021
    He played Morgan.
  • Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I wouldn't rule out it being Matt Smith.  Don't all laugh!

He is in his last year at Arsenal, unlike Chelsea they don't collect players in their 20s to loan out. 

He isn't 21 until October so I don't think he would be included in the salary cap, if it or something similar was reintroduced.  I am not sure if he would be included in the squad limit?

Shinnie and Pratley have gone, Watson is tbc and JFC won't play again this year.    It's a position we need at least 3 players in for and he has great potential and could be part of the "journey".

You can point to the fact Adkins didn't use him. I don't think that's a good messuring stick because he stuck to a team and couldn't really experiment with the time he had.  He didn't really disappoint when he did play though. 

If we had not signed him on loan in January and he had carried on his form at Swindon he would be exactly the sort of player people would be saying we should be signing.

It would help address the talent drain we have seen that has bereft of quality in the 19-21 range.

He is exactly the sort of player I could see being a championship starter in 2 years time.  Add in the fact Adkins and his staff would know exactly what they are getting, in terms of both ability and character. 

It's not really as silly as it first sounds, is it? 

Could be. But if Adkins rated him, why didn’t he play him?
    I think the point is we need to be also signing some talent in his age group that we think will be able to play in the Championship. I think Smith will play at Championship level and this maybe a chance to get him.
  • Chunes said:
    He played Morgan.
    Yes who is a year older and played more than twice as many games.  How many players do you want him to pick?

I can't believe I am having to explain that a manager can rate a 20 year old player without throwing him to a series, of what were, must win games. 
  • edited May 2021
    If you're good enough, you're old enough, as they say. Maatsen is 19. You're clutching at straws, here. Did Smith even make a squad? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!