Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Yes the final squad won’t be in place until Sept.

But you do all realise there are 5 games before then? I would rather not throw 5 games - and whilst we could feasibly bring in the 5-6 top league one players we need on 31st August, I wouldn’t be that confident that we will then go on such a tear up of the division that we can give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
    I love the idea that we're just sitting ducks for our first 5 games unless we some players now now now. We started last season with a backline made up of a centre mid, a 17 year old CB at RB and Oshilaja, with zero other defenders on the bench and more court appearances than senior left backs and we still only lost 2 of our first 5 games. The idea that we're throwing the first 5 games with a starting 11 including a new goalkeeper, two new midfielders, a new CB and a marquee signing up front is such bed wetting overkill I think you've gone through and wet a child's bed in Australia
    How much did we miss out on play-offs by again? 
    How many points did we drop after those first 5 games? It’s that bad run in the middle that killed us, so many opportunities to pick up points wasted.
    A dropped point is a dropped point. You don't lose extra points for dropping them in the middle of the season. 
    Yeah agree, but how can you expect to be promoted when you go in a run like this? Those 6 wins early on made up for early lost points (including a draw with Sunderland, hardly a bad result, and a defeat to Lincoln who had a great season) leaving us in a good place. We then went on a long bad run and dropped points to teams we should have beaten or at least drawn against.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d missed that Wednesday received a suspended six-point deduction. If they have any problems paying wages between now and January, they’ll get the deduction. 

Here's hoping

Finger Crossed GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Yes, but a riposte to Dazzler's throwaway line about Bowyer's mood change, which is subjective and no doubt tongue in cheek.

My comment about Ronnie's miss is factual, in that if Ronnie had scored that, it would have been a 3 point swing against the team that made the playoffs. Just playing the hypothetical game.
  • Options
    Yes the final squad won’t be in place until Sept.

But you do all realise there are 5 games before then? I would rather not throw 5 games - and whilst we could feasibly bring in the 5-6 top league one players we need on 31st August, I wouldn’t be that confident that we will then go on such a tear up of the division that we can give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
    I love the idea that we're just sitting ducks for our first 5 games unless we some players now now now. We started last season with a backline made up of a centre mid, a 17 year old CB at RB and Oshilaja, with zero other defenders on the bench and more court appearances than senior left backs and we still only lost 2 of our first 5 games. The idea that we're throwing the first 5 games with a starting 11 including a new goalkeeper, two new midfielders, a new CB and a marquee signing up front is such bed wetting overkill I think you've gone through and wet a child's bed in Australia
    How much did we miss out on play-offs by again? 
    I will assume you've deliberately missed the point there, otherwise I'll feel sad. The point I was making is that last season, when we were completely incapable of bringing anyone in and relying on out of position players and children to make up our first 11, we still only lost 2 of the opening 5 games. That's not our situation now, we've invested in a fair few essential areas in the first team and in terms of a starting 11 I'd say we're possibly only 1 or 2 away from being where we want to be with the starting line up, with other moves likely to be to bolster the squad over a long season. We won't be starting with Pratley in defence this season, I suspect it will go a little bit better than last time when we dropped some points against two eventual play-off teams and a Doncaster team who made a good start (and yet still didn't make the play-offs). Or we could just cry about potential results that might happen in the future based on not getting the signings the fans want exactly when they want them. Whichever.
  • Options
    Yes, but a riposte to Dazzler's throwaway line about Bowyer's mood change, which is subjective and no doubt tongue in cheek.

My comment about Ronnie's miss is factual, in that if Ronnie had scored that, it would have been a 3 point swing against the team that made the playoffs. Just playing the hypothetical game.
    So are my examples. It always seems to be Ronnie miss that gets mentioned. Not the stockley or Washington ones.
  • Options
    Its lovely to see people are finally on the same wave length as me with the Schwartz penalty

Am sure a lot always have been but felt at times as though I was solely banging my head against the wall when saying that the one particular moment against Oxford couldnt be used to define what happened last season.

If anything you could look back at that moment, and perhaps the miss against Bristol Rovers as being signs where Ronnie just wasnt going to get any luck here at the club - Had he scored against the latter he'd have had two quick goals early in his Charlton career and he could well have ended up flying!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its lovely to see people are finally on the same wave length as me with the Schwartz penalty

Am sure a lot always have been but felt at times as though I was solely banging my head against the wall when saying that the one particular moment against Oxford couldnt be used to define what happened last season.

If anything you could look back at that moment, and perhaps the miss against Bristol Rovers as being signs where Ronnie just wasnt going to get any luck here at the club - Had he scored against the latter he'd have had two quick goals early in his Charlton career and he could well have ended up flying!!
    Agreed - butterfly effect and all that.

But the Birmingham equalizer caused our demise in the Championship season ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    Adkins wants tall players.
    Wiki says Lowery is 5ft 6 in.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Listened to the "Not The Top 20" podcast predictions and they go 
    1. Rotherham
    2. Ipswich
    3. Sunderland
    4. MK Dons
    5. Lincoln
    6. Charlton
    Was that recored before Martin went to Swansea? 
    Yes and they are massive Martin fans and were at pains to emphasise it was their "with Martin" prediction. I suspect running it again now they would be looking at top 10 rather than top 4, not just due to losing him but the week before the season as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I might be clutching at straws but it seems that the posters who saw through ESI from the start are very different from the posters who are panicking over our so-so summer signings. If there was an overlap between the two groups I'd be concerned.
  • Options
    I might be clutching at straws but it seems that the posters who saw through ESI from the start are very different from the posters who are panicking over our so-so summer signings. If there was an overlap between the two groups I'd be concerned.
    How about...Posters that complained about season ticket prices and the fact in their opinion there was not  enough of an 'offer' on them and then those same posters complaining about TS not putting his hand in his pocket to build a strong enough team. How many of those are there ? Maybe there was no overlap. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    It really bugs me when people don't understand basic causality. If Schwartz had scored his penalty there's no saying what would have happened in later games
    People seem to forget that Stockley missed one v Peterbro 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So are my examples. It always seems to be Ronnie miss that gets mentioned. Not the stockley or Washington ones.
    What if Bogle had taken the penalty at Gillingham and scored 🤔.  Then Washington could not have missed it but we wouldn't have known that was the play-off clincher.  
    Schwartz miss cost us 2 points against an eventual play-off team. 
    You could make up what if's all day.

What if Schwartz scored his penalty (that was well saved)

What if Oxford didn't have a man sent off giving away a silly and needless penalty against AFC Wimbledon

What if James Henry had stayed on the pitch and assisted/scored another goal?

What if Bowyer had gone in February?

What if we had a rumours thread that stayed dedicated to rumours and not last seasons results, random barbecues and loads of other pointless shit.

All the what-iffery in the world simply won't change the outcome because it is not reality... It is hindsight. 
    Source?
  • Options
    So logic and facts rear up on the rumours thread again, well said @Dazzler21, let's hope the whole hindsight theory about penalty misses etc can be put to be bed, and we can get back to good old fashioned rumours,....anyone got anything... B)
  • Options
    What if there was a pitch invasion while no fans were allowed in. The list is endless.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

What if Bogle had taken the penalty at Gillingham and scored 🤔.  Then Washington could not have missed it but we wouldn't have known that was the play-off clincher.  

What if Oxford didn't have a man sent off giving away a silly and needless penalty against AFC Wimbledon

What if we had a rumours thread that stayed dedicated to rumours and not last seasons results, random barbecues and loads of other pointless shit.

All the what-iffery in the world simply won't change the outcome because it is not reality... It is hindsight. 
    Had the penalty at Oxford been scored it would have been 1-0 as no time was left after really.  That is not conjecture. 1 point less for them, 2 more for us.

My point is there were 3 instances where we took it away from ourselves. Not 1, not 2 but 3.
    Had Crewe not scored in the last minute at the Valley we'd have been in the Play-Offs

They equalised that night with the last kick of the game... Swindon pretty much did the same when we played there
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Would certainly take that, but honestly, I cannot see Sheffield, Wycombe, or particularly Rotherham being that low down.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Had the penalty at Oxford been scored it would have been 1-0 as no time was left after really.  That is not conjecture. 1 point less for them, 2 more for us.

My point is there were 3 instances where we took it away from ourselves. Not 1, not 2 but 3.
    Had Crewe not scored in the last minute at the Valley we'd have been in the Play-Offs

They equalised that night with the last kick of the game...
    Yes so that is 4 . Then there is Shrewsbury away too in the last minute. 
    Not to mention Oxford lost against Accrington | Northampton | Wimbledon after our draw - Had we beaten them thanks to Schwartz's penalty, whats to say they wouldnt have won those games as they'd have had a little more desperation about them
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!