Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• When I posted my original comment I wasnt being negative about the standard of living in Sunderland in any way ! I chose to move North years ago for exactly that reason, I would argue with anyone that peoples standard of living where I live is miles ahead of my family and friends still down South. But I'm not a pro footballer either and I would think they get a pretty good standard wherever they live. 

All I meant was when you look at the teams in our league in terms of potential, set up and ambition there is no reason to think we shouldnt be at the top if the tree in terms of players destination of choice. We fans are far too negative at times imo
  • Rothko said:
    We're the best of both worlds in terms of location, and Sparrows Lane is the main place of work. If you have a family you can live in Chislehurst for example, in a nice house with decent schools, if your young free and single, you can live in, say Greenwich, be close enough to the training ground and close to central London. 
    And if you're Jonatan Johansson, you can live in Silvertown  :D
  • edited May 2021
    If you are an established footballer let’s say 27 - 28 years old and have had a league one career and live in the north of the country it’s quite possible that you have a million pound house. The prospect of moving to London or the nicest parts of the SE would mean a significant trading down in property. I can fully understand why London is not universally attractive, particularly to players with young families. 
  • reserves said:
    68 pages, no actual rumours of signings then?
    No of course not but, if you hang around you can find out the pros & cons of Sunderland & London.  What's not to like.
  • edited May 2021
    What happened to that trash website that would publish every rumour people sent in? That was always good for a laugh. 
  • Chunes said:
    What happened to that trash website that would publish every rumour people sent in? That was always good for a laugh. 
    Here’s one
    http://football-rumours.co.uk/charlton-rumours.php

Dazzler 👀
  • edited May 2021
    Oh no @Dazzler21 what have you been doing and who the hell is Pu Edam!
  • There comes a point where the people commenting to complain that there aren't any rumours are adding almost as many pages as the people talking about the pros of living in Bradford and the likelihood of Ipswich fans having a nice summer. Circle of life
  • https://youtu.be/vCBC0qh9GC4

You want rumours, there's rumours. #easy
  • There are no rumours anywhere.  I looked. 
    There are no rumours ...... only people on here with nothing to do. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• If you are an established footballer let’s say 27 - 28 years old and have had a league one career and live in the north of the country it’s quite possible that you have a million pound house. The prospect of moving to London or the nicest parts of the SE would mean a significant trading down in property. I can fully understand why London is not universally attractive, particularly to players with young families. 

You can get a very, very nice house in the north without spending a million on it. Three quarters of that can get you something palatial to leave you 250G to spunk on bread and bitches.
    Exactly. Tough for anyone thinking about a move north to south. 
  • To be honest i will take no rumours if it means NA TS gallen and roddy are doing the business behind the scenes without any interferance or agents/teams playing games trying to drum up interest or bidding wars 
  • Although having Amos and MacGillivray as our Goalkeepers with Maynard-Brewer out on loan really would be a signal of intent.

Unless we'll only sign him if Amos turns us down
  • "Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

What a fine performer the Scot has been too, Pompey’s best keeper since leaving the Championship a decade ago having been recruited on a free from Shrewsbury.

A staggering 64 per cent of those who voted named MacGillivray as their The News/Sports Mail’s 2020-21 Pompey Player of the Season, signalling an emphatic triumph."

National reports today emerged MacGillivray will be on his way, as his existing contract comes to a close this summer.

Pompey have stated they remain in talks with the man who’s received Scottish international call-ups, as indicated when they released their retained list yesterday afternoon.

Danny Cowley is preparing a massive overhaul this summer and is determined to shake up his options, with the Blues missing out on the play-offs and remaining in League One for a fifth season.

Although open to keeping MacGillivray as part of that rebuild, Pompey have to decide how far they are prepared to push to make that happen as Cowley prioritises the areas to focus using his playing budget. The club have an option on his existing agreement.

The Blues are in talks with MacGillivray, Ben Close, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams who are all about to become free agents.

The reality, however, is there a high chance those discussions will not be fruitful in a number of instances.

A key factor behind that is the Blues looking to raise the bar in terms of quality in the squad, and those players being associated with a failure to deliver Championship football in recent seasons.

MacGillivray was an ever-present last term, producing some excellent form in the process. He has made 135 appearances in his time at Fratton Park, establishing himself as a big fans’ favourite."

Seems like he's good but not great. 

• WE HAVE A RUMOUR 
    You should just whisper it. :wink:

• Oggy Red said:
    WE HAVE A RUMOUR 
    You should just whisper it. :wink:

Sorry I got very excited!! :D
  • edited May 2021
    Sadly, I have no rumours.  I just hope that we move away from signing the average, the mediocre and the also-rans.  It's time that we signed a few 'exceptional' players.

Of course, you can be 'exceptional' in many ways.  For example, based on his name alone, isn't Newport County defender and England beach soccer International Priestley Farquharson easily the most posh player in the League? 

Better still, I discover that he is actually Priestley Tyler H. Farquharson.  It's 'Hats Off' to Mr and Mrs Farquharson for that one.  
  • Sponsored links:

• "Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

What a fine performer the Scot has been too, Pompey’s best keeper since leaving the Championship a decade ago having been recruited on a free from Shrewsbury.

A staggering 64 per cent of those who voted named MacGillivray as their The News/Sports Mail’s 2020-21 Pompey Player of the Season, signalling an emphatic triumph."

National reports today emerged MacGillivray will be on his way, as his existing contract comes to a close this summer.

Pompey have stated they remain in talks with the man who’s received Scottish international call-ups, as indicated when they released their retained list yesterday afternoon.

Danny Cowley is preparing a massive overhaul this summer and is determined to shake up his options, with the Blues missing out on the play-offs and remaining in League One for a fifth season.

Although open to keeping MacGillivray as part of that rebuild, Pompey have to decide how far they are prepared to push to make that happen as Cowley prioritises the areas to focus using his playing budget. The club have an option on his existing agreement.

The Blues are in talks with MacGillivray, Ben Close, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams who are all about to become free agents.

The reality, however, is there a high chance those discussions will not be fruitful in a number of instances.

A key factor behind that is the Blues looking to raise the bar in terms of quality in the squad, and those players being associated with a failure to deliver Championship football in recent seasons.

MacGillivray was an ever-present last term, producing some excellent form in the process. He has made 135 appearances in his time at Fratton Park, establishing himself as a big fans’ favourite."

Their player of the year and played every minute last season, yes from me :)

Their player of the year and played every minute last season, yes from me :)
    When a goalkeeper wins player of the year it usually just means its been a particularly poor year and he's been busy. 
  • Potentially first signing of the season, and played every game last season. Cannot see him coming in as a back-up keeper. Wonder where that would leave Amos
  • If you are an established footballer let’s say 27 - 28 years old and have had a league one career and live in the north of the country it’s quite possible that you have a million pound house. The prospect of moving to London or the nicest parts of the SE would mean a significant trading down in property. I can fully understand why London is not universally attractive, particularly to players with young families. 

You can get a very, very nice house in the north without spending a million on it. Three quarters of that can get you something palatial to leave you 250G to spunk on bread and bitches.
     @NapaAddick we turn to you for the final word on house prices 

Would like to sign Jack Whatmough
  • Potentially first signing of the season, and played every game last season. Cannot see him coming in as a back-up keeper. Wonder where that would leave Amos
    Amos has pulled off some great game saving moments & commands his area pretty well but is always liable to make a mistake, just cast your mind back to some of the long distance howlers. I would be happy for a new No. 1 with Amos on the bench.
    Amos has pulled off some great game saving moments & commands his area pretty well but is always liable to make a mistake, just cast your mind back to some of the long distance howlers. I would be happy for a new No. 1 with Amos on the bench.
    It would be good for us but i highly doubt at his age and having already been bench warmer for us when phillips was here he would be happy doing that
    i can see Amos going and another 2 keepers coming in of a similar level battling for the number 1 jersey pushing eachother
    and then loaning out AMB for a full season at league 2 level hopefully
  • edited May 2021
    I think Amos needs a proper competition for his spot to consistently play at his best. AMB looks like a real prospect but it's hard to argue that it would be right or fair to count on him stepping up as No 1 just yet, he'd surely be better served getting a loan as a first choice keeper further down the chain at this point.

Not to say that Macgillivray is definitely one we should prioritise specifically but A.N. Other keeper really should be on the list for me.
  • We need GREAT, not good. We are Charlton.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!