Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• "Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

What a fine performer the Scot has been too, Pompey’s best keeper since leaving the Championship a decade ago having been recruited on a free from Shrewsbury.

A staggering 64 per cent of those who voted named MacGillivray as their The News/Sports Mail’s 2020-21 Pompey Player of the Season, signalling an emphatic triumph."

National reports today emerged MacGillivray will be on his way, as his existing contract comes to a close this summer.

Pompey have stated they remain in talks with the man who’s received Scottish international call-ups, as indicated when they released their retained list yesterday afternoon.

Danny Cowley is preparing a massive overhaul this summer and is determined to shake up his options, with the Blues missing out on the play-offs and remaining in League One for a fifth season.

Although open to keeping MacGillivray as part of that rebuild, Pompey have to decide how far they are prepared to push to make that happen as Cowley prioritises the areas to focus using his playing budget. The club have an option on his existing agreement.

The Blues are in talks with MacGillivray, Ben Close, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams who are all about to become free agents.

The reality, however, is there a high chance those discussions will not be fruitful in a number of instances.

A key factor behind that is the Blues looking to raise the bar in terms of quality in the squad, and those players being associated with a failure to deliver Championship football in recent seasons.

MacGillivray was an ever-present last term, producing some excellent form in the process. He has made 135 appearances in his time at Fratton Park, establishing himself as a big fans’ favourite."

Seems like he's good but not great. 

Their player of the year and played every minute last season, yes from me :)
    I agree!

Dean Kiely was signed from a relegated team, in the same division as us (though at a level higher). 

Not saying he would be in Deanos class, but an ever present, & player of the year does not sound too bad at all, especially if Amos does also remain.
  • Sounds like this story is just to put some pressure on Amos to get him to sign his contract. The timing leads me to believe that too.
    I think your right, I would also be supprised if there wasn't some Championship interest. 
  • esseffect said:

"Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

What a fine performer the Scot has been too, Pompey’s best keeper since leaving the Championship a decade ago having been recruited on a free from Shrewsbury.

A staggering 64 per cent of those who voted named MacGillivray as their The News/Sports Mail’s 2020-21 Pompey Player of the Season, signalling an emphatic triumph."

National reports today emerged MacGillivray will be on his way, as his existing contract comes to a close this summer.

Pompey have stated they remain in talks with the man who’s received Scottish international call-ups, as indicated when they released their retained list yesterday afternoon.

Danny Cowley is preparing a massive overhaul this summer and is determined to shake up his options, with the Blues missing out on the play-offs and remaining in League One for a fifth season.

Although open to keeping MacGillivray as part of that rebuild, Pompey have to decide how far they are prepared to push to make that happen as Cowley prioritises the areas to focus using his playing budget. The club have an option on his existing agreement.

The Blues are in talks with MacGillivray, Ben Close, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams who are all about to become free agents.

The reality, however, is there a high chance those discussions will not be fruitful in a number of instances.

A key factor behind that is the Blues looking to raise the bar in terms of quality in the squad, and those players being associated with a failure to deliver Championship football in recent seasons.

MacGillivray was an ever-present last term, producing some excellent form in the process. He has made 135 appearances in his time at Fratton Park, establishing himself as a big fans’ favourite."

Would like to sign Jack Whatmough
    Dunno how I feel about him, I know he'll have played more games this season but cant get that game out of my head where he scored two own goals and got sent off
  • esseffect said:

"Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

Dunno how I feel about him, I know he'll have played more games this season but cant get that game out of my head where he scored two own goals and got sent off
    Or has missed most of the season twice with serious injuries. 
  • STILL NO RUMOURS 

Is that a fact?
  • AndyG said:
    Yes exactly atleast with Southall we would have a few posts showing the snacks and super duper phone by now ! 

And not just any super duper phone but the super duper transfer phone.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    I have no idea who these young Scandinavian player are tbh and also have no idea if they would come to any league one club. However I do think I'm a pretty realistic bloke and hopefully dont allow the rose tinted glasses to affect my judgement and I honestly think we will have the pick of players who think league one is an option. What other club in the league can offer the potential we can now that we have a sensible owner, manager, coaching set up etc. That's an honest question what other club in league one has all of that ?
    Sunderland have a new rich owner and are a far bigger club than us. I think we are undoubtedly a pull though and dont disagree that we can win a battle with most other clubs in the division. Attracting players where championship clubs are interested is completely different though. 
    Agree but not sure Sunderland are that much bigger and we are in London.

End of the day money talks so we'll see how much the new Sunderland owner, and ours, is willing to spend.
    Maybe much bigger was a stretch, but they are definitely bigger. They have a whole city to themselves and a lot of them love the football. Been three times now and every time I've seen so many families going. 

London is also a pull for the right player, but could put people off too. Much cheaper to get a decent property in or around Sunderland. 
    A big stretch if you went to Wembley in 2019.
  • Amos was exceptional 3 years ago and is still a very good goalkeeper at this level but he has gone ever so slightly backwards in my opinion. To get another keeper in our squad with a good calibre like MacGillivray coming in would be only a good thing, we need competition for places if we are going for promotion and I mean no disrespect to Maynard-Brewer, he just really needs some game time out on loan.
  • vff said:
    AndyG said:
    There isnt mate nothing to see here. Come back in 2-3 weeks for rumours
    Maybe the thread should be renamed until things start happening 🤔 Or the Heading could indicate what page there is a rumour on. If you want to read the general chat you can but or spared if you don’t have the energy or time or have just come back from work. 

To paraphrase Evlis

If you're looking for rumours
    You came to the wrong place
    If you're looking for rumours
    Come back in a month
  • With keepers you need to have two number ones for a season. It usually not sustainable over two as one is likely to be happier than the other.  
  • Potentially first signing of the season, and played every game last season. Cannot see him coming in as a back-up keeper. Wonder where that would leave Amos
     With healthy competition.
    As it should be.
  • There is no denying Amos had a strong end to the season.
  • Not convinced Amos will sign a new deal if he’s likely up be 2nd choice.
  • edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Not convinced Amos will sign a new deal if he’s likely up be 2nd choice.
    True. I suspect there may also be an element of psychology on the clubs part though, telling him (and by extension others) that we aren't going to be held hostage. If he doesn't sign the deal, we can and will look elsewhere - no-one is irreplaceable.
  • There is no way that we sign MacGillivray and resign Amos. 

I think by and large our keepers, over the last 5 season have been pretty good and it was only really the season and a half where Dillon was No1 we had a proper back up keeper.  Neither of the two mentioned would sign for a league 1 club to sit on the bench.

If they were happy to do that they could both get a championship gig, or even a home grown 3rd choice premier league 1.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

He played 34 games in the league is that most of the season? 
  • Sponsored links:

• esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

He also played around 60 games in the 5 years previous. 
  • esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

Look at previous seasons, he has been riddled with injuries. Whatmough would be a decent signing but only if we had a back up plan. You can't plan for him to play a full season.

The Pompey keeper would be a real coup imo. I think he looked solid when I watched him play and as I said before Amos may have ended strong but he still is very suspect for long range shots
  • esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

He played 1 game in 19/20 and 2 games in 15/16 due to serious injury.  So yes most of the season, twice. 
  • mendonca said:
    We need GREAT, not good. We are Charlton.
    We are also League 1
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    There is no way that we sign MacGillivray and resign Amos. 

I think by and large our keepers, over the last 5 season have been pretty good and it was only really the season and a half where Dillon was No1 we had a proper back up keeper.  Neither of the two mentioned would sign for a league 1 club to sit on the bench.

If they were happy to do that they could both get a championship gig, or even a home grown 3rd choice premier league 1.
    Agreed, I think Amos is going to leave though. Strong rumours he's quite keen to move back North and Preston are interested. Shame he's not under contract as we could have used him in the deal to get Stockley. 
  • esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

Look at previous seasons, he has been riddled with injuries. Whatmough would be a decent signing but only if we had a back up plan. You can't plan for him to play a full season.

The Pompey keeper would be a real coup imo. I think he looked solid when I watched him play and as I said before Amos may have ended strong but he still is very suspect for long range shots
    Having Inniss and Whatmough as two of your four CB's would be a massive risk. 
  • I don't think Amos is the answer if we want to play out from the back, Adkins has made it clear he wants a keeper who is as much a footballer as shot stopper
  • Happy to admit I didn’t check previous seasons. Let’s see where he ends up 
  • edited May 2021
    But perhaps Akin wants to test himself (and the salary radar) in the Championship.

Which has just reminded me that we haven't heard any words of keenness from him to return or about his time here have we? Quite contrary to Stockley and Millar. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!