Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    But perhaps Akin wants to test himself (and the salary radar) in the Championship.

Which has just reminded me that we haven't heard any words of keenness from him to return or about his time here have we? Quite contrary to Stockley and Millar. 
    I'm fully expecting him to go to the Championship on loan to be honest... Birmingham?

If Norwich decide to cash in though, will a Championship side really bother
  • esseffect said:

"Although the Blues have yet to officially announce the popular goalkeeper’s exit, sadly his impressive three-year stay has now ended.

What a fine performer the Scot has been too, Pompey’s best keeper since leaving the Championship a decade ago having been recruited on a free from Shrewsbury.

A staggering 64 per cent of those who voted named MacGillivray as their The News/Sports Mail’s 2020-21 Pompey Player of the Season, signalling an emphatic triumph."

National reports today emerged MacGillivray will be on his way, as his existing contract comes to a close this summer.

Pompey have stated they remain in talks with the man who’s received Scottish international call-ups, as indicated when they released their retained list yesterday afternoon.

Danny Cowley is preparing a massive overhaul this summer and is determined to shake up his options, with the Blues missing out on the play-offs and remaining in League One for a fifth season.

Although open to keeping MacGillivray as part of that rebuild, Pompey have to decide how far they are prepared to push to make that happen as Cowley prioritises the areas to focus using his playing budget. The club have an option on his existing agreement.

The Blues are in talks with MacGillivray, Ben Close, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams who are all about to become free agents.

The reality, however, is there a high chance those discussions will not be fruitful in a number of instances.

A key factor behind that is the Blues looking to raise the bar in terms of quality in the squad, and those players being associated with a failure to deliver Championship football in recent seasons.

MacGillivray was an ever-present last term, producing some excellent form in the process. He has made 135 appearances in his time at Fratton Park, establishing himself as a big fans’ favourite."

Seems like he's good but not great. 

Would like to sign Jack Whatmough
    Nough already with the whatnough rumours.
  • Sounds like this story is just to put some pressure on Amos to get him to sign his contract. The timing leads me to believe that too.
    Or pressure on Pompey to up their offer to MacGillivray.

Never heard of him but the great Charlie Wright was Scottish so won't hear a word against Scottish keepers.
  • edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    I have no idea who these young Scandinavian player are tbh and also have no idea if they would come to any league one club. However I do think I'm a pretty realistic bloke and hopefully dont allow the rose tinted glasses to affect my judgement and I honestly think we will have the pick of players who think league one is an option. What other club in the league can offer the potential we can now that we have a sensible owner, manager, coaching set up etc. That's an honest question what other club in league one has all of that ?
    Sunderland have a new rich owner and are a far bigger club than us. I think we are undoubtedly a pull though and dont disagree that we can win a battle with most other clubs in the division. Attracting players where championship clubs are interested is completely different though. 
    Yes but they are based in Sunderland!!! And that's coming from me who lives up north lol
    Suggesting Sunderland players live in Sunderland is like suggesting Charlton players live in Charlton. 
    Exactly

I've got a friend from Hull who plans to move back up there when's he's older, as trading down from his London house they can buy something really nice just a few miles outside of Hull

If he's lucky, he'll get somerthing really nice a lot of miles outside Hull.
  • Talal said:
    I think Amos is generally fine at this level and I'm a bit surprised if we're looking to replace him completely. Aside from two or three long shots he might've done better with I thought he was good. Commands his area very well and deals well with most one on ones/close range efforts. Sort the defence and midfield and there won't be so many long shots anyway! 
    The club confirmed he’s one of the out of contract players they’re in talks with, so it seems more likely it’s Amos who’s looking to leave rather than us releasing him.
  • Sounds like this story is just to put some pressure on Amos to get him to sign his contract. The timing leads me to believe that too.

Never heard of him but the great Charlie Wright was Scottish so won't hear a word against Scottish keepers.
    And Willie Duff .
  • edited May 2021
    I like Amos but his kicking is pretty weak. It rarely reaches Stockley, and you would think that a better goalkeeper-Stockley connection would be a great weapon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:
    Sounds like this story is just to put some pressure on Amos to get him to sign his contract. The timing leads me to believe that too.

And Willie Duff .
    And Alex Wright
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Sadly, I have no rumours.  I just hope that we move away from signing the average, the mediocre and the also-rans.  It's time that we signed a few 'exceptional' players.

Of course, you can be 'exceptional' in many ways.  For example, based on his name alone, isn't Newport County defender and England beach soccer International Priestley Farquharson easily the most posh player in the League? 

Better still, I discover that he is actually Priestley Tyler H. Farquharson.  It's 'Hats Off' to Mr and Mrs Farquharson for that one.  
    OK, hands up, who pronounced his name Farkwarson?

• Amos had a spell when he looked poor and a couple of spells when he looked terrific. One thing you do need to take into account is how the defence can influence the form of the keeper. It can give him confidence, make opponents shots more rushed etc... Amos wasn't so hot when we were a defensive liability. I doubt that was a complete coincidence. 
  • DA9 said:
    mendonca said:
    We need GREAT, not good. We are Charlton.
    We are also League 1
    Doesn't have quite the same ring to it as 'We are top of the league'.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Sadly, I have no rumours.  I just hope that we move away from signing the average, the mediocre and the also-rans.  It's time that we signed a few 'exceptional' players.

Of course, you can be 'exceptional' in many ways.  For example, based on his name alone, isn't Newport County defender and England beach soccer International Priestley Farquharson easily the most posh player in the League? 

Better still, I discover that he is actually Priestley Tyler H. Farquharson.  It's 'Hats Off' to Mr and Mrs Farquharson for that one.  
    OK, hands up, who pronounced his name Farkwarson?

... How is it pronounced then?!
  • Macronate said:

Hmm, is this a genuine source though?

Who is this Richard Cawley fellow?
    Everyone calls him Creepy
  • Can't believe people think this keeper would come in as competition for Amos.  If we sign the Portsmouth keeper, who was their POTY, it will be as Amos replacement.  No way would we keep both 
    Beauty of football, you get to see how different fans think :-)
  • Big yes for me. Would love MacGillivray here. If only because half the fanbase won’t remember who to spell his name. It’s been too long since one of those.
    I screwed up with spelling Millar (used an "e" a good few times) and have seen different variations of Inniss and Adkins
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    I can't believe my eyes, an actual fkin rumour? Player of the season for them so great competition for Amos if he signs. Signing other league 1 teams POTY is something I seem to remember us doing in 11/12?
    I'm relieved that we seem to be looking to improve in this position.

If we hope to get in the top two places, we need to have a more commanding keeper. Amos is sound but not stand out and I can't understand why so many are happy with him as our number one next season. 
  • Quite happy with Amos to be honest and I think he's good enough for the number one spot but MacGillivray is also a top keeper for this league. I'd be happy with either but if MacGillivray comes in I can't see Amos staying to sit on the bench. 
  • Adkins is a former keeper himself so can easily understand him making this position a priority signing.

On the CAST Q&A he corrected talk about formations - it's not 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but 1-4-4-2 or 1-4-3-3 as far as he's concerned.
  • edited May 2021
    He’s not as young as I thought, being 28 already but on the other hand, goalkeepers do peak later and he could be entering the best years of his career.

With Amos, he’s solid enough at this level but I don’t think there’s a realistic shot that he is a first choice goalkeeper for anyone in the Championship. He’s had the chance at a handful of clubs and never been able to keep the shirt.

CMG (yes, that’s his new name) has never been tested at that level. So... he may be good, he may flop. 

But one thing is for sure, we know the “floor” (top end L1) of both talents is about the same. And we know Amos’ “ceiling” (struggling Champ) isn’t much higher than that floor whereas we’d have to wait and see just how good CMG can be.

It’s definitely an either or conversation. Can’t see any world in which we carry both players.
  • Well we won't be signing Long from Hull because he has signed for Millwall. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Chunes said:
    What happened to that trash website that would publish every rumour people sent in? That was always good for a laugh. 
    Here’s one
    http://football-rumours.co.uk/charlton-rumours.php

Dazzler 👀
    Sorry to say I have given up on tracking rumours, so much absolute crap is posted in this thread so couldn't be bothered to keep wading through 50 posts a day to see if any morsel or crumb of a decent rumour could be found.
  • What's Jed Steer up to lately? Thought he did ok for us before getting the call back to Villa.
  • edited May 2021
    I'd assume we have shown interest in Macgilivray in the event Amos does not sign 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!