Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I have no idea who these young Scandinavian player are tbh and also have no idea if they would come to any league one club. However I do think I'm a pretty realistic bloke and hopefully dont allow the rose tinted glasses to affect my judgement and I honestly think we will have the pick of players who think league one is an option. What other club in the league can offer the potential we can now that we have a sensible owner, manager, coaching set up etc. That's an honest question what other club in league one has all of that ?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If Ronnie wants to go back to Denmark what about Kamaldeen Sulemana or Andreas Schjelderup?

I honestly think you could attract top young talent from the Danish top flight to League 1, the same way Wolves took players from Porto in the championship.  They will see it as 2 seasons away from the Premiership or Bundesliga. 
    There's no way Wolves would have been able to sign Neves without that agent though. Don't know anything about Schjelderup, but Sulemana has been linked with Man Utd and Liverpool in the last week. 
    I think Sulemana is slightly out of range. But you do have to take the "linked with" rumours with a pinch of salt.  Moutaouakil was linked with everyone including Lazio, Barca and Spurs before we signed him. 

Your right about Wolves but they wouldn't have gone there, regardless of the agent, if it wasn't a chance to play in the prem.  Even if Wolves didn't go straight up they probably could have got a move anyway. 
    True enough, but we were a recently relegated Prem club when we signed Yassin, so no doubt an attractive proposition for a young player to come, play regularly and go onto the Prem. Despite Sandgaard's ambition, I highly doubt many people outside of Charlton realistically see us a premier league club any time soon. 
    No but 1 good season in league 1 can get you a move to the prem or a Fulham or Brentford type. 
    But in the Wolves and Yassin examples, they were already the Fulham or Brentford types. I just think were kidding ourselves a bit if 20/21 year olds who have realistic prem dreams will be tempted to come here. We are definitely a pull for the best league 1 players but have to be realistic with our targets. 
    I think young Scandinavians with championship potential are more likely, realistic and cheaper than some of the players I have seen mentioned on here.

I am talking 1 or 2 not a team full BTW. 
  • AndyG said:
    I have no idea who these young Scandinavian player are tbh and also have no idea if they would come to any league one club. However I do think I'm a pretty realistic bloke and hopefully dont allow the rose tinted glasses to affect my judgement and I honestly think we will have the pick of players who think league one is an option. What other club in the league can offer the potential we can now that we have a sensible owner, manager, coaching set up etc. That's an honest question what other club in league one has all of that ?
    Sunderland have a new rich owner and are a far bigger club than us. I think we are undoubtedly a pull though and dont disagree that we can win a battle with most other clubs in the division. Attracting players where championship clubs are interested is completely different though. 
  • AndyG said:
    I have no idea who these young Scandinavian player are tbh and also have no idea if they would come to any league one club. However I do think I'm a pretty realistic bloke and hopefully dont allow the rose tinted glasses to affect my judgement and I honestly think we will have the pick of players who think league one is an option. What other club in the league can offer the potential we can now that we have a sensible owner, manager, coaching set up etc. That's an honest question what other club in league one has all of that ?
    Sunderland have a new rich owner and are a far bigger club than us. I think we are undoubtedly a pull though and dont disagree that we can win a battle with most other clubs in the division. Attracting players where championship clubs are interested is completely different though. 
    It's quite arrogant to think Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth fans won't be as optimistic as us. 

Ipswich's released list was far more aggressive than ours, although it looked to me like they gave up on this season 10 days early.

Our owner obviously doesn't intend to stay in league 1 for long, neither do the others. 
  • AndyG said:
    Yes but they are based in Sunderland!!! And that's coming from me who lives up north lol
  • Is it possible to have a separate edited rumours thread ? One with key actual rumours? There must be some rumours on this thread but there is lots of general chat & opinion to wade through. 
  • There isnt mate nothing to see here. Come back in 2-3 weeks for rumours
  • AndyG said:
    There isnt mate nothing to see here. Come back in 2-3 weeks for rumours
    Maybe the thread should be renamed until things start happening 🤔 Or the Heading could indicate what page there is a rumour on. If you want to read the general chat you can but or spared if you don’t have the energy or time or have just come back from work. 
  • edited May 2021
    vff said:
    AndyG said:
    There isnt mate nothing to see here. Come back in 2-3 weeks for rumours
    Maybe the thread should be renamed until things start happening 🤔 Or the Heading could indicate what page there is a rumour on. If you want to read the general chat you can but or spared if you don’t have the energy or time or have just come back from work. 
    Can't do that because there ain't any rumours. I'm sure it'll be updated if anything substantial comes along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    It's quite arrogant to think Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth fans won't be as optimistic as us. 

Ipswich's released list was far more aggressive than ours, although it looked to me like they gave up on this season 10 days early.

Our owner obviously doesn't intend to stay in league 1 for long, neither do the others. 
    Agreed, it is arrogant. There's some big clubs in this league and it's wishful thinking believing that top players are going to be queuing to sign for us. Interesting summer, particularly for the clubs that have had takeovers during Covid.  
  • AndyG said:
    Agree but not sure Sunderland are that much bigger and we are in London.

End of the day money talks so we'll see how much the new Sunderland owner, and ours, is willing to spend.
    Maybe much bigger was a stretch, but they are definitely bigger. They have a whole city to themselves and a lot of them love the football. Been three times now and every time I've seen so many families going. 

London is also a pull for the right player, but could put people off too. Much cheaper to get a decent property in or around Sunderland. 
  • AndyG said:

End of the day money talks so we'll see how much the new Sunderland owner, and ours, is willing to spend.
    Maybe much bigger was a stretch, but they are definitely bigger. They have a whole city to themselves and a lot of them love the football. Been three times now and every time I've seen so many families going. 

London is also a pull for the right player, but could put people off too. Much cheaper to get a decent property in or around Sunderland. 

• AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Yes but they are based in Sunderland!!! And that's coming from me who lives up north lol
    Suggesting Sunderland players live in Sunderland is like suggesting Charlton players live in Charlton. 
  • I have a rumour!

Oh, sorry no...  It's wind!
  • AndyG said:

I imagine a lot of overseas players and their families would rather live near London than Sunderland.

Then again if they are getting paid a lot more they'll live wherever the krona are.
  • Shrew said:
    AndyG said:

Take that back, that's really yurtful
  • I have a rumour!

Oh, sorry no...  It's wind!
    Sounds more like a wind-up B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Suggesting Sunderland players live in Sunderland is like suggesting Charlton players live in Charlton. 
    Exactly

I've got a friend from Hull who plans to move back up there when's he's older, as trading down from his London house they can buy something really nice just a few miles outside of Hull
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Exactly

I've got a friend from Hull who plans to move back up there when's he's older, as trading down from his London house they can buy something really nice just a few miles outside of Hull
    People want to live near London

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/56223503/?search_identifier=de20c79e8e06050edfbf6e122282203c

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85647928#/

Given the choice?  All other things being equal? 
  • I don't really understand this theory about players wanting to live in London, a densely populated, extremely expensive city is not for everyone.
  • I don't really understand this theory about players wanting to live in London, a densely populated, extremely expensive city is not for everyone.
    Its fashionable, plenty of trendy clubs and places to go for the younger players - Fair enough those who have families may not want to relocate down here, but that was an underrated part of Powell's recruitment in the sense that he targeted a lot of players who didnt have that sort of thing to worry about. 
  • edited May 2021
    I don't really understand this theory about players wanting to live in London, a densely populated, extremely expensive city is not for everyone.
    I'm not sure that footballer's are all that bothered about London being expensive... On £2-5k a week living in the outer boroughs, you can have quite a comfortable life.
  • edited May 2021
    I don't really understand this theory about players wanting to live in London, a densely populated, extremely expensive city is not for everyone.
    Its fashionable, plenty of trendy clubs and places to go for the younger players - Fair enough those who have families may not want to relocate down here, but that was an underrated part of Powell's recruitment in the sense that he targeted a lot of players who didnt have that sort of thing to worry about. 
    You’re probably right on the whole @ForeverAddickted but this just made me think of Danny Hollands - wasn’t his missus ready to pop with triplets when he signed for us from Bournemouth? I remember seeing an article about the family in the Valley Review after the kids were born and just thinking “Poor buggers, look how tired they look!” (Danny and his missus, not the babies!)
    👶👶👶

😂
  • That's a great tweet.  Really made me chuckle
    I expect they will repost again in August.
  • 68 pages, no actual rumours of signings then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!