Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cousins will no doubt end up at Luton as Jones took him to Stoke and was his coach in our academy. Move on guys! 
    To team up at Luton with Joe Pigott, strangely a former player who doesn't draw the same "we must never sign old players" reaction
    in my opinion Piggott played once or twice for us, was released and has gone elsewhere, scored goals and shown he is good enough for the Championship, is young, fit and hungry. Cousins has gone elsewhere, not pulled up any trees, not really progressed and has missed a lot of games through injury. I'd take Piggott back but not Cousins.
    But PIggot is a former player so can't be re-signed on your "never go back" principal.

Or are you now saying we should sign players who improve the team, regardless of whether they played for us before?
    I'm not saying never sign players who have played for you before but in my opinion it's never as good second time around. In my opinion there is a difference too between Piggott and Cousins, I'd have the former back but not the latter. Just my opinion, which is what I thought this forum was for.
    Lawrie Wilson, turned out to be alright 2nd time around
    Danny Green started his youth football with us, was definitely better than that 9 years later
    Danny Haynes similar but less so
    Jason Euell was a shadow of his former self when he returned in 2011 but was an able squad player for 3rd division football in that title winning season and his time with us since then has been worthwhile, hasn't it?
    Danny haynes was quality on his second stint with us, its just a shame his leg muscles seemed to have been made of chocolate. Some of the goals he scored, and his pace!
  • Options
    i can start talking about season tickets if that would help?
  • Options
    I hate the way football fans talk about footballers sometimes. Imagine being some bloke who would be given the run around by the under 14s sitting at their laptop and confidently saying a professional footballer playing in the first or second division is 'dogshit' or 'dreadful' with 'no footballing brain'. What a weird life. I wonder if they heckle window cleaners and dentists as well
    Do what?

So unless we are better than a footballer we can never describe one negatively?
    Not sure where you're getting that from as that's not what I said. Sure people can be negative about footballers, the way some talk about them is ridiculous though. Saying that people who make a good living out of football are 'shit' footballers is just needlessly unpleasant and makes that person look a bit thick. Of course that player isn't shit, if he was no-one would pay him thousands of pounds a week. Just makes me wonder if those people are also going round screaming at the people who work at Sainsbury's if they're too slow at the till or leave abusive reviews on Twitter for films they didn't enjoy watching. It's weird that some fans don't seem to have any ability to talk about footballers in a balanced way. It makes Twitter a cesspit.
    But I think cousins is shit, I could explain why and use a few big words if I wanted but I didn’t on this occasion.  Perhaps try not getting so offended by a difference of opinion on something so irrelevant, it’s not like I’ve said this to cousins directly, that I don’t like, but this is the perfect place to express your opinions. 
    He's not shit though, he's a professional footballer who is paid to play football. I'm shit at football, but that's why I never got past Sunday League and no-one will ever pay me to attempt it at any level. Calling a player who has played over 200 games in the Championship shit is just silly. That's sort of the point I'm making, it's not that the words are scary and upsetting, it's that they're ridiculous. It's not big words you need to use, it's a bit of awareness of scale.
    Well when I say he’s shit who do think I’m comparing him to??  Players that might win us this league or the man in the street?? Absolutely staggering that needs explaining.
    So your point is that you can call Cousins shit (but not to his face, you wouldn't do that, just on message boards) as long as you're comparing him to, say, Kante? My original point, and still my point, was that the way some people talk about footballers is stupid and unpleasant, calling a professional shit at their job because you don't think they're good enough for your team or you'd rather have someone else is a bit sad really. It doesn't matter who you're comparing him to. That's always been my point. I think we're just going to be going round in circles here though.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Olly Lee (Robert's son) has signed on permanently at Gillingham .

Oh Lord no. That guarantees Rob Lee will be the guest on Charlton TV when we play them next year.

The only player who appeared on there all last season that I didn't feel showed any real feeling for us and certainly the only player who guested that I felt no real warmth towards.
    agreed
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Oh Lord no. That guarantees Rob Lee will be the guest on Charlton TV when we play them next year.

The only player who appeared on there all last season that I didn't feel showed any real feeling for us and certainly the only player who guested that I felt no real warmth towards.
    Agree, he spoke and looks like somebody who had just popped over from Screwfix to support his son.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cousins will no doubt end up at Luton as Jones took him to Stoke and was his coach in our academy. Move on guys! 
    To team up at Luton with Joe Pigott, strangely a former player who doesn't draw the same "we must never sign old players" reaction
    in my opinion Piggott played once or twice for us, was released and has gone elsewhere, scored goals and shown he is good enough for the Championship, is young, fit and hungry. Cousins has gone elsewhere, not pulled up any trees, not really progressed and has missed a lot of games through injury. I'd take Piggott back but not Cousins.
    But PIggot is a former player so can't be re-signed on your "never go back" principal.

Or are you now saying we should sign players who improve the team, regardless of whether they played for us before?
    I'm not saying never sign players who have played for you before but in my opinion it's never as good second time around. In my opinion there is a difference too between Piggott and Cousins, I'd have the former back but not the latter. Just my opinion, which is what I thought this forum was for.

Jason Euell was a shadow of his former self when he returned in 2011 but was an able squad player for 3rd division football in that title winning season and his time with us since then has been worthwhile, hasn't it?
    Think I need to lay off the booze... why do I have no recollection of this at all
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Richard J said:

Agree, he spoke and looks like somebody who had just popped over from Screwfix to support his son.
    it's why shearer liked him - made him feel charismatic
  • Options
    No disrespect to Jason as he was great for us in his prime, but he was bloody awful for us when he came back in 2011.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    No disrespect to Jason as he was great for us in his prime, but he was bloody awful for us when he came back in 2011.
    I'm sure he went from striker to midfield type role in his 2nd spell. 
  • Options
    Hope he does better at Pompey than your mate :wink:
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    I'm sure he went from striker to midfield type role in his 2nd spell. 
    He did that in his 1st spell. His second was as a striker, if you can really count it as that.

I remember the preseason game against Bromley and he was sooooo slow, but so much better than everyone else.  It was quite funny. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I hate the way football fans talk about footballers sometimes. Imagine being some bloke who would be given the run around by the under 14s sitting at their laptop and confidently saying a professional footballer playing in the first or second division is 'dogshit' or 'dreadful' with 'no footballing brain'. What a weird life. I wonder if they heckle window cleaners and dentists as well
    Do what?

Not sure where you're getting that from as that's not what I said. Sure people can be negative about footballers, the way some talk about them is ridiculous though. Saying that people who make a good living out of football are 'shit' footballers is just needlessly unpleasant and makes that person look a bit thick. Of course that player isn't shit, if he was no-one would pay him thousands of pounds a week. Just makes me wonder if those people are also going round screaming at the people who work at Sainsbury's if they're too slow at the till or leave abusive reviews on Twitter for films they didn't enjoy watching. It's weird that some fans don't seem to have any ability to talk about footballers in a balanced way. It makes Twitter a cesspit.
    But I think cousins is shit, I could explain why and use a few big words if I wanted but I didn’t on this occasion.  Perhaps try not getting so offended by a difference of opinion on something so irrelevant, it’s not like I’ve said this to cousins directly, that I don’t like, but this is the perfect place to express your opinions. 
    He's not shit though, he's a professional footballer who is paid to play football. I'm shit at football, but that's why I never got past Sunday League and no-one will ever pay me to attempt it at any level. Calling a player who has played over 200 games in the Championship shit is just silly. That's sort of the point I'm making, it's not that the words are scary and upsetting, it's that they're ridiculous. It's not big words you need to use, it's a bit of awareness of scale.
    Well when I say he’s shit who do think I’m comparing him to??  Players that might win us this league or the man in the street?? Absolutely staggering that needs explaining.
    So your point is that you can call Cousins shit (but not to his face, you wouldn't do that, just on message boards) as long as you're comparing him to, say, Kante? My original point, and still my point, was that the way some people talk about footballers is stupid and unpleasant, calling a professional shit at their job because you don't think they're good enough for your team or you'd rather have someone else is a bit sad really. It doesn't matter who you're comparing him to. That's always been my point. I think we're just going to be going round in circles here though.
    Yes, exactly that, I can say Cousins is shit on a football forum.  To his face, no, because it isn’t very nice.  Unless he reads charlton life to which I apologise JC.

Nope, not comparing to Kante, you know this of course because I literally just said against players who might win you this league.

So if saying cousins is shit, is not very nice even when he can’t see or hear it, my view is that you’re a tad sensitive for football forums.
  • Options
    Do what?

Yes, exactly that, I can say Cousins is shit on a football forum.  To his face, no, because it isn’t very nice.  Unless he reads charlton life to which I apologise JC.

Nope, not comparing to Kante, you know this of course because I literally just said against players who might win you this league.

So if saying cousins is shit, is not very nice even when he can’t see or hear it, my view is that you’re a tad sensitive for football forums.
    As I said, round in circles. While I agree with you that saying that about players isn't very nice, and quite cowardly if you're willing to do it sat behind your keyboard but nowhere else, the overall point is it's also stupid, because it's wrong. He's a professional footballer who you think is 'shit' despite actual football employers disagreeing. You're wrong. But never mind, this feels a bit like I'm trying to explain house prices to a bowl of soup. We'll move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Millwall supporting friend had just told me that Lyle Taylor may be joining them on loan!
  • Options
    dwb said:
    A Millwall supporting friend had just told me that Lyle Taylor may be joining them on loan!
    Well he started his career there so cant really hate him more for joining that lot
  • Options
    dwb said:
    A man of colour, an outspoken one at that, going to Millwall has carcrash all over it.  I would like to think his agent will do and say the right thing!
  • Options
    Do what?

As I said, round in circles. While I agree with you that saying that about players isn't very nice, and quite cowardly if you're willing to do it sat behind your keyboard but nowhere else, the overall point is it's also stupid, because it's wrong. He's a professional footballer who you think is 'shit' despite actual football employers disagreeing. You're wrong. But never mind, this feels a bit like I'm trying to explain house prices to a bowl of soup. We'll move on.
    There’s nothing cowardly about it, cowardly is if you send it directly to him on Twitter for example but remain anonymous.  

Happy to move on, I think he’s shit, you don’t.  End of story really, could’ve ended about 5 pages ago.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Just my tuppence worth - I'm not a massive fan of Pigott.  I think he did well at Wimbledon as he was a bigger fish in a smaller pond.  Not sure he will cut it at a bigger club to be honest.  Time will tell I guess.

As for Cousins - I'd definitely get him in for a trial.  His engine was excellent and whilst he was limited on the ball he is probably better than Pratley technically and more mobile than both he and Watson.  He always said he'd like to return and I would like us to at least make contact.  He should be fresh having not played a vast amount in the last few seasons and he should be in his prime at 27.  He is also able to operate in a few positions.

As Curbs always used to say he wanted players that were "Hungry and angry" and I wonder if Jordan fits into that mould...
    Why the hell would Cousins come for a trial?

I doubt we will sign him but he has been released by Stoke, not Wycombe or Sheffield Wednesday.  Plenty of championship clubs will have a sniff.  If we can offer him something better, not necessarily financially, he might be tempted. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Do what?

As someone who hates negativity, you could be a bit more positive!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    Just my tuppence worth - I'm not a massive fan of Pigott.  I think he did well at Wimbledon as he was a bigger fish in a smaller pond.  Not sure he will cut it at a bigger club to be honest.  Time will tell I guess.

As for Cousins - I'd definitely get him in for a trial.  His engine was excellent and whilst he was limited on the ball he is probably better than Pratley technically and more mobile than both he and Watson.  He always said he'd like to return and I would like us to at least make contact.  He should be fresh having not played a vast amount in the last few seasons and he should be in his prime at 27.  He is also able to operate in a few positions.

As Curbs always used to say he wanted players that were "Hungry and angry" and I wonder if Jordan fits into that mould...

I doubt we will sign him but he has been released by Stoke, not Wycombe or Sheffield Wednesday.  Plenty of championship clubs will have a sniff.  If we can offer him something better, not necessarily financially, he might be tempted. 
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

We would offer a trial to gauge his fitness.  I’d be surprised if there were loads of offers in the current climate so we don’t need to jump without doing due diligence 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

We would offer a trial to gauge his fitness.  I’d be surprised if there were loads of offers in the current climate so we don’t need to jump without doing due diligence 
    If we are only offering trials to people that are 27 and played 20 championship games last season and missed no games due to injury (according to transfer market), who would we sign without a trial?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!