Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Albie is a very neat and tidy player and his work rate is good, but at the moment he is a bit of neither-one-thing-or-the-other type of player. He doesn't get enough goals or assists to be classified as an attacking midfielder, doesn't make enough tackles or defend well enough be a more defensive playmaker, and I don't think he has the physique to be a modern box to box player. I said it before, but he reminds me a bit of the young Scott Parker in that respect. There was a lot of expectation around Parker as a youth player and he was an attacking midfielder at youth level who got a lot of goals and assists. He struggled to covert that into the first team, though, and eventually (very successfully) reinvented himself as an all action but predominantly defensive midfielder who loved a tackle.

Albie needs to decide what he wants to be (play deeper or more advanced) and then really focus hard on either improving defensively or getting more end product in attack. This isn't a criticism of Albie, he's well ahead of some players his age, but it's what he needs to do if he really wants a good career. The game is littered with tidy midfielders who don't really influence games and have so-so careers (Christ knows we've had plenty in recent seasons) but ones who really get a game by the scruff of the neck are the ones who stand out. I think Albie can be that way, but he has to improve and at 21 it's getting around the time when you want to start seeing that step-change from him. Next season looks a big opportunity for him - perform and he could well find himself a regular for us in the Championship too. Have another decent, but not standout, season and he might get left behind if we get promoted (assuming we do get promoted - big if, of course)
    There is a brilliant bit in Keith Peacock's book about exactly this.  Gavin was obviously a good football but they worked so hard on his game to make sure he wasn't just neither one thing or another. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Millwall have offered an contract to Matt Smith, but which one Chris Kamara?

I don't know Jeff, I must have missed it 🤣🤣
    Of course he’s staying with them, how else could we take him on loan on 31st January 2022?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Of course he’s staying with them, how else could we take him on loan on 31st January 2022?
    This is very true, but I feel you should go on the next windows list early 🤣
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

There are three guarantees in life - death, taxes and Charlton loaning Matt Smith at the end of the January transfer window.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Hearing we are interested in Charlie Kirk from Crewe.
    We bid for him in January before DJ. Good player, but there was some issue over a 3rd party agent getting involved.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Believe we were in for him in Jan, didn’t happen and we went for DJ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Addickted said:
    Believe we were in for him in Jan, didn’t happen and we went for DJ. 
    Wouldn't be surprising if we tried again. Millar's spot up for grabs.
  • Options
    I wasn't impressed with Kirk in the recent game at the Valley. Seems a bit lightweight and indecisive. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

There are three guarantees in life - death, taxes and Charlton loaning Matt Smith at the end of the January transfer window.
    Something that has always bothered me... If your last name is Smith, why would you call your son Matt? Could at least try to give him a hint of individuality!

No offence to any of the 12 Matt Smith's on this board.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I've heard the club have been in talks with a lot of the players over the past few days. Some are to be kept and some are going to be let go. Announcements coming today. 
    Lovely jubbly 

🤪
    Expect he probably invoiced the club a grand for that.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I wasn't impressed with Kirk in the recent game at the Valley. Seems a bit lightweight and indecisive. 
    6 goals and 8 assists... suggests he's quite decisive. I'd be happy if we got him tied up. Plenty of upside IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Kirk, Dale and Lowery are definitely the three Crewe are going to struggle to keep hold of in the summer. Might be a fair bit of interest in jaaskelainen too. The club are keen to grow on the impressive season they’ve had, so will fight to keep these top players, rather than cash in (although some of these are out of contract soon anyway). 
  • Options
    Yep, just saying that I watched him closely in our game V Crewe and was not impressed by him, in that game.

I think we will be prioritising a left footed midfielder/forward, as we do not possess a single one. Without JFC this season, that does make play more predictable and impacts balance.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I've heard the club have been in talks with a lot of the players over the past few days. Some are to be kept and some are going to be let go. Announcements coming today. 
    Lovely jubbly 

🤪
    Expect he probably invoiced the club a grand for that.
    Plus the table design fee for his bint
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just a reminder on what we know should be the case about current contracts:

Ben Watson-elevated to the Lords? or missing in action? Wheres my specs
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Lovely jubbly 

🤪
    He certainly knew how to throw a party. Tight twat.
  • Options
    Jordan Graham - released by Gills, another winger we were linked with in Jan. 

Had a great season and was really highly rated by Wolves as a youngster but plagued by injuries, could be worth a punt on a free.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Maccn05 said:

Had a great season and was really highly rated by Wolves as a youngster but plagued by injuries, could be worth a punt on a free.
    Imagine he's been released because he expects to move to a higher club

Hopefully its because he's aiming for the likes of Charlton and not a move to the Championship
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Maccn05 said:

Connor Ogilvie & Jack Bonham have also turned down their contract offers from the Gills, meaning they are now free agents.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!