Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic - Match Thread

So already qualified, how much should we be looking to change the team around tonight?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    We can't know for certain but it is looking like the best route to the final is probably linked to winning the group. Although that will probably involve a big first hurdle! We can also say that there is room for improvement in the attacking aspects of our performance so it would seem reasonable that Southgate tries to find a better balance tonight. Personally, I would like to see him pick between Phillips or Rice above anything else. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Grealish win 15 free kicks.
  • Options
    Take off the shackles and play our flair players and go for it.
    You  never know it just might work.
    agree with this......however fully expect him to replace Mount with Henderson!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think we are playing for first or second even if we lose it will probably be second. We need Scotland to win and make up the goal difference to come third. Even if Croatia win 10 nil, we will finish above them due to head to head.
  • Options
    Considering we have already qualified, I’d like to see something like:

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice
    Bellingham Grealish
    Sancho Kane Saka

However, that’s too many changes and can see maybe Rashford in for Saka, Sterling will probably play as well. Henderson or Phillips in for Bellingham too. Not included Foden as think he could do with a rest and being saved for the knock-outs.

Our best options are in attacking areas so use them. What’s the point of bringing certain players if they aren’t going to feature? How can Sancho be deemed old enough to play in 2019 but not in 2021?  
  • Options
    Would like to see Sancho start and Bellingham come off the bench. Hopefully an entertaining game.
  • Options
    Hoping we see Sterling replaced and someone else given the chance, even Southgate should be able to see he was v ineffective on Friday and we have an abundance of players who can play in his position, if anything he could probably do with the rest if he's going to play in the R16 game. I would've wanted Mount to be rested too as he hasn't impressed but that decision has been taken out of Southgate's hands at least.

Feeling really despondent about this game frankly, just want to see us attack with some fluidity.
  • Options
    There is an argument to try to play Sterling into form. You don't need to agree with it to accept it is there. One thing is for sure, an in form Sterling would get into most international sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is an argument to try to play Sterling into form. You don't need to agree with it to accept it is there. One thing is for sure, an in form Sterling would get into most international sides.
    We have Sancho on the bench, who also would get into most international sides, has a great record of assists and goals for BVB and could be in better form, there's not a lot of time for Sterling to play himself into form when we have one group game then a potential very tough R16 game. Sterling didn't get past one Scottish defender, how's he going to do against Germany in the R16?

I'm not anti-Sterling btw - I think a lot of what he does, running off the ball, dragging defenders, stretching their back line, running beyond the attacker, goes unnoticed/under-appreciated by a lot of people. Just think we have better options right now.
  • Options
    I’d like to see Trippier back in for Shaw, Grealish in for Rice and then if Mount isn’t playing, Sancho. Fully expecting Henderson to play though so another night of overly cautious sideways passing. 0-0.
  • Options
    We have Sancho on the bench, who also would get into most international sides, has a great record of assists and goals for BVB and could be in better form, there's not a lot of time for Sterling to play himself into form when we have one group game then a potential very tough R16 game. Sterling didn't get past one Scottish defender, how's he going to do against Germany in the R16?

I'm not anti-Sterling btw - I think a lot of what he does, running off the ball, dragging defenders, stretching their back line, running beyond the attacker, goes unnoticed/under-appreciated by a lot of people. Just think we have better options right now.
    Yes, there isn't a lot of time to play him into form. It is a choice that will be proven wrong or right. It might help if Southgate changed the midfield balance by playing one holding midfielder instead of two allowing a more offensive and creative midfield addition which could allow Sterling a bit more space and freedom. I think the same argument applies to Kane and Rashford.
  • Options
    Good chance to try and get Maguire and Henderson some match fitness. I imagine Sterling will play, if only because the shrieking surrounding him has been so loud and unpleasant that I don't think Southgate will want to be seen as reacting to it. I would have expected to see Chilwell but the Gilmour nonsense means it will probably be Shaw again. Hopefully we'll see Sancho get on the pitch and a goal from Kane
  • Options
    Kane will score 2 goals and his value will increase to £150m.  Fully expect Maguire to start, but please god, not Jordan Henderson - I like him but we’ve had enough sideways passing over the last 2 games. 
  • Options
    Kane will score 2 goals and his value will increase to £150m.  Fully expect Maguire to start, but please god, not Jordan Henderson - I like him but we’ve had enough sideways passing over the last 2 games. 
    I'd go Henderson for Rice, doesn't seem like there are many voices in the team who are going to boss the others round to do things 
  • Options
    Take off the shackles and play our flair players and go for it.
    You  never know it just might work.
    My view exactly. Let's encourage the players to play their best football, and to their strengths. If we win the group we may meet France of Germany. Tough, but after that the route is slightly easier, but if we are going to play the way we did against Scotland, it makes no difference as there aren't enough minnows to get to the final and win - at some point we have to beat big nations and the way to do that is to be better, not cowardly.
  • Options
    yeah don't mind Henderson starting IF he's the only holding midfielder and both Rice and Phillips are given a break
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Pickford
    Rice
    Bellingham Grealish
    Sancho Kane Saka

However, that’s too many changes and can see maybe Rashford in for Saka, Sterling will probably play as well. Henderson or Phillips in for Bellingham too. Not included Foden as think he could do with a rest and being saved for the knock-outs.

Our best options are in attacking areas so use them. What’s the point of bringing certain players if they aren’t going to feature? How can Sancho be deemed old enough to play in 2019 but not in 2021?  
    Like this team, but would put Henderson in for Rice.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Pickford
    Rice
    Bellingham Grealish
    Sancho Kane Saka

This is all very well but as we all know if the unfancied players get a result tonight they have no chance of staying in the team for the next round. Surely we need to get the "1st team" functioning ASAP as they will be called upon. The Dutch made no changes last night even though they were comfortably through.
  • Options
    would love to see Foden, Grealish and Sancho all start behind Kane (no way will Foden want a rest, he's a kid who just wants to play football!)

I would go with

Pickford

Trippier Stones Mings Shaw
    Henderson
    Bellingham Foden
    Sancho Kane Grealish
  • Options
    Maguire in. Keep Rice and Philips, they need to learn to play together properly. Then drop Sterling and play Grealish and Sancho. Kane needs a goal badly.
  • Options

Yes, there isn't a lot of time to play him into form. It is a choice that will be proven wrong or right. It might help if Southgate changed the midfield balance by playing one holding midfielder instead of two allowing a more offensive and creative midfield addition which could allow Sterling a bit more space and freedom. I think the same argument applies to Kane and Rashford.
    Sterling is an intelligent footballer but he’s being asked to do too much in this system, or is at least trying to. Because Phillips and Rice were glorified sweepers in the Scotland game, Sterling was forced to drop deep and into more central positions. Kane did the same.
  • Options
    Are we already qualified? If we lose 2-0 and Scotland win 3-0 aren't they qualified? Or if Croatia win 2-0 and we lose?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we already qualified? If we lose 2-0 and Scotland win 3-0 aren't they qualified? Or if Croatia win 2-0 and we lose?
    In both these cases we'd qualify  but in 3rd place
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We will qualify in third regardless