Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    With Mount likely to be out , I'd like to see 1 of the holding midfielders dropped & Grealish & Sancho come in. Lets have a real go at attacking a team with the talented attacking options we have. 

No way captain negative Southgate will do that though.

Probably a boring 0-0 or scrappy 1-0 win
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we already qualified? If we lose 2-0 and Scotland win 3-0 aren't they qualified? Or if Croatia win 2-0 and we lose?
    We will qualify in third regardless
    Isn't that only "possible" qualification?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Kane will score 2 goals and his value will increase to £150m.  Fully expect Maguire to start, but please god, not Jordan Henderson - I like him but we’ve had enough sideways passing over the last 2 games. 
    I'd go Henderson for Rice, doesn't seem like there are many voices in the team who are going to boss the others round to do things 
    I think Henderson is bang average, as players at massive clubs go, but he is an outstanding captain even if he isn't wearing the arm band.  England, and Liverpool, are worse without him even if he shouldn't get in the team as a player. 
  • Options
    "There is still a chance of England finishing third - although they would qualify for the last 16 anyway with their current points tally - if they lose and the Scots beat Croatia, catching up a deficit of three on goal difference.
    "
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we already qualified? If we lose 2-0 and Scotland win 3-0 aren't they qualified? Or if Croatia win 2-0 and we lose?
    Nope. The 4 best 3rd place finishers go through. Finland and Ukraine both have 3 points, we already have 4. So for groups D-F all the teams know that 4 points will guarantee qualification. 
  • Options
    I thought the Rice - Phillips midfield would be the most defensive we got all tournament.

If he brings Henderson in to play with those 2 we might as well just turn off. 

To clarify, I do really rate Henderson, but that midfield 3 can’t be a thing.
  • Options
    Southgate saying Grealish can’t play where Mount does cos he doesn’t press enough. Fuck off. Always some shitty excuse not to play the bloke. He only got his chance due to public pressure.

3 out of 4 MotM not enough for our Gareth tho.
    I don't think it's debatable that he isn't as good through the middle is it? I mean there is a reason Barkley plays there for Villa. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Southgate saying Grealish can’t play where Mount does cos he doesn’t press enough. Fuck off. Always some shitty excuse not to play the bloke. He only got his chance due to public pressure.

agree with this, Grealish is skilful but greedy on the ball, for him a pass is a last resort and he doesn't like defending, he's essentially an attacker who likes to dribble at defenders and beat them 2 or 3 times to show off his skills. Mount will be sorely missed and it's a shame that Ward-Prowse is not in the squad. Bellingham might be the answer, BUT is he too similar to Rice and Philllips ?. At least we have qualified and this leaves the possibility for experiment. For my part I like to see the strongest available side selected for all games and I hope Southgate resists the temptation to make changes for changes sake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nope. The 4 best 3rd place finishers go through. Finland and Ukraine both have 3 points, we already have 4. So for groups D-F all the teams know that 4 points will guarantee qualification. 
    Ah didn't know that!
  • Options
    Mount and Chilwell out til the 28th 

Can’t believe we might not see our best LB at all this tournament. 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

I don't think it's debatable that he isn't as good through the middle is it? I mean there is a reason Barkley plays there for Villa. 
    Played there against Austria and ran the show.
  • Options

He would rather play Rashford there than Grealish. 
  • Options
    May be an image of 2 people and text that says STATEMENT WE CAN CONFIRM THAT BEN CHILWELL AND MASON MOUNT MUST ISOLATE AND INCLUDING NEXT MONDAY 28 JUNE THIS DECISION HAS BEEN TAKEN IN CONSULTATI WITH PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND THE PAIR WERE CONFIRMED VERNIGHT AS CLOSE CONTACTS OF SCOTLANDS BILLY GILMOUR HIS POSITIVE TEST FOLLOW- ING LAST FRIDAYS MATCH CHILWELL AND MOUNT ISOLATE AND TRAIN INDIVIDUALLYIN PRIVATE AREAS AT ENGLANDS TRAINING BASE ST GEORGES PARK WITH THE RESTOFTHE REST SQUAD RETURNING THERE AFTER TONIGHTS FIXTURE AGAINST CZECH REPUBLICAT WEMBLEY 

Full statement
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

We must remember a different game. Not to say he was bad, he was fine but it didn't make me think he absolutely has to start.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Southgate needs to have some guts and drop players that he thinks are undroppable. 

Have a feeling Gareth doesn't like players with personality and that's why Grealish, Sancho get benched every game. 
  • Options

He would rather play Rashford there than Grealish. 
    Rashford at the tail end of the season looked awful
  • Options
    So I assume most of the Scotland squad also need to isolate now...... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

We must remember a different game. Not to say he was bad, he was fine but it didn't make me think he absolutely has to start.
    Also played there against Romania and set up sancho who hit the post, won the penalty and again, ran the show.
  • Options
    It is going to be proper poo as I am going.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    It is going to be proper poo as I am going.
    enjoy it, poo or not  :D
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Also played there against Romania and set up sancho who hit the post, won the penalty and again, ran the show.
    Was hoping you wouldn't mention that one. Agree he did run the show in that game. Fwiw I like him, I'd probably start him tonight, I think Sancho is a bigger threat though and I just don't understand the huge uproar about Grealish so far, I just don't see him as this saviour of English football. For the selections so far Mount in the middle is 100% the starter there, first game we won, played fairly well so no issues with Grealish not playing. Scotland game, came on wasn't really an improvement. So what's the uproar about? 

I get everyone has their favourites and they see it as a personal attack if they aren't selected, as I said I like him, though he's not perfect, he holds the ball too much which is the reason he gets fouled so often which in turn slows everything down and without the ball he doesn't work as hard as others. That said he does have a lot of quality and can make something happen, but equally so can Foden, Sterling, Mount and Sancho. I just don't really see what the anger is about.
    He’s the only player we have that continually drives forward. He takes people on, he draws free kicks and the opposition out of position that creates space that we so desperately crave. 8 England caps and has been MoM in I think 4 of those. Even when we got beat away at Belgium he was the only bright spark on the pitch, they couldn’t handle him and if Kane had his finishing boots on he would of come away with 2 assists. I don’t think he’s ‘the saviour’ but he is exactly the type of player that we are crying out for in games. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Was hoping you wouldn't mention that one. Agree he did run the show in that game. Fwiw I like him, I'd probably start him tonight, I think Sancho is a bigger threat though and I just don't understand the huge uproar about Grealish so far, I just don't see him as this saviour of English football. For the selections so far Mount in the middle is 100% the starter there, first game we won, played fairly well so no issues with Grealish not playing. Scotland game, came on wasn't really an improvement. So what's the uproar about? 

I get everyone has their favourites and they see it as a personal attack if they aren't selected, as I said I like him, though he's not perfect, he holds the ball too much which is the reason he gets fouled so often which in turn slows everything down and without the ball he doesn't work as hard as others. That said he does have a lot of quality and can make something happen, but equally so can Foden, Sterling, Mount and Sancho. I just don't really see what the anger is about.
    I agree, I wouldn't have Grealish where Mount plays but that's because Gareth will go 433 rather than 4231. With Rice and Phillips in the middle (or even Henderson), that third CM can be an out and out attacking one but Gareth won't do it. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    England team just for tonight:
    Walker
    Ramsdale Johnstone Pickford
    Trippier Sterling Rashford Henderson 
    Bellingham Grealish
    Cody

'I have picked a team to get a positive result, I have told the boys to spread out and run around a lot and play with a smile on their face.' States Gareth Southgate.

• Options

Kit not washed or, if washed, is still damp;

Very good. Enjoyed that...

God knows, England could do with a bit of old fashioned spirit. So much talent, so little heart or leadership.

Good to know you can qualify for the next round on the basis of one mishit goal and no decent football.

buzzing....

0-0  

• Options
    England team just for tonight:
    Walker
    Ramsdale Johnstone Pickford
    Trippier Sterling Rashford Henderson 
    Bellingham Grealish
    Cody

'I have picked a team to get a positive result, I have told the boys to spread out and run around a lot and play with a smile on their face.' States Gareth Southgate.

If it means we finally get to see Grealish and Bellingham I’m all for this.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

I agree, I wouldn't have Grealish where Mount plays but that's because Gareth will go 433 rather than 4231. With Rice and Phillips in the middle (or even Henderson), that third CM can be an out and out attacking one but Gareth won't do it. 
    He effectively played 4-2-3-1 against Romania and Austria. What was the point?

Youd think it was in preparation to play teams like Croatia and Czech Rep.