Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Still no shots on target. Southgate out!
  • Options
    Tell Kane to play as an actual striker and get in the box!! 

Sancho, Grealish to start. To keep it fresh, I would play Ben White for 45-60 minutes then give Maguire some minutes. Give Stones a rest. 
    Little point Kane playing as an actual striker if nobody puts the ball where he can attack it.
  • Options
    Well this is a game I would prefer not to be happening. Anyway, here's a perspective with a Czech input.

First thing to say is that the Czechs are delighted  they got through. They won't care too much whom they meet, as most teams look difficult now. England looks difficult. England is a scalp, as you will have seen in the 2-1 victory in Prague. However at the back of their mind is the 0-5 at Wembley, and that was the game that mattered more to both teams at the time.

Everyone has suddenly decided that they all love Patrik Schick. Well they didn't until the Scotland game. At the start of the tourno, my neighbour was slagging him off, saying he refused to commit to tracking back, etc. You can hear similar comments, in less stark terms, from the pros. (Good article on Schick, reflecting that, here) He was pretty anonymous in the Prague win against England and was subbed in favour of 'the Cobra", Zdeněk Ondrášek,  who had been plying his trade in the USA and immediately bagged the winner. Ondrášek joined Viktoria Plzen but was only intermittently effective (as were Viktoria) and is not in the squad. And that is the big problem. There is no decent strike partner for Schick. The obvious alternative to him is Michal Krmencik, whom I know from Viktoria, but after opting to stay there rather than go to Newcastle,allegedly for £12m,  he suffered an ACL. Before then he was a formidable combination of power and pace, but the pace has gone a bit, and he has not really fired at a succession of European clubs. His performance when he came on against Croatia was pretty typical, sadly. 

So they tend to try and support Schick with attacking wide men, starting with Jankto. The other notable one is Hlozek, who has similar attributes to Foden, but is only 18, and Sparta is not Man City. I don't think he is quite ready to make an impact here.

The positives for the Czechs are that the Wembley 5-0 happened before Coufal and especially Souček went off to transform the Hamsters, and when Schick wasn't having the happiest of times. Now Schick is clearly on a personal mission to prove a lot of people wrong, and has the country reminding themselves of Baroš powering them to the Euro 2004 final. That makes Schick very dangerous today. But for all that when I look at the two squads, and the greater (public) pressure on England to win, I can't see past an England win, and probably two goals for Harry Kane.
    2004 Final? You mean 96, don't you?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Southgate saying Grealish can’t play where Mount does cos he doesn’t press enough. Fuck off. Always some shitty excuse not to play the bloke. He only got his chance due to public pressure.

3 out of 4 MotM not enough for our Gareth tho.
    I don't think it's debatable that he isn't as good through the middle is it? I mean there is a reason Barkley plays there for Villa. 
    Played there against Austria and ran the show.
    We must remember a different game. Not to say he was bad, he was fine but it didn't make me think he absolutely has to start.
    Also played there against Romania and set up sancho who hit the post, won the penalty and again, ran the show.
    Was hoping you wouldn't mention that one. Agree he did run the show in that game. Fwiw I like him, I'd probably start him tonight, I think Sancho is a bigger threat though and I just don't understand the huge uproar about Grealish so far, I just don't see him as this saviour of English football. For the selections so far Mount in the middle is 100% the starter there, first game we won, played fairly well so no issues with Grealish not playing. Scotland game, came on wasn't really an improvement. So what's the uproar about? 

I get everyone has their favourites and they see it as a personal attack if they aren't selected, as I said I like him, though he's not perfect, he holds the ball too much which is the reason he gets fouled so often which in turn slows everything down and without the ball he doesn't work as hard as others. That said he does have a lot of quality and can make something happen, but equally so can Foden, Sterling, Mount and Sancho. I just don't really see what the anger is about.
    He’s the only player we have that continually drives forward. He takes people on, he draws free kicks and the opposition out of position that creates space that we so desperately crave. 8 England caps and has been MoM in I think 4 of those. Even when we got beat away at Belgium he was the only bright spark on the pitch, they couldn’t handle him and if Kane had his finishing boots on he would of come away with 2 assists. I don’t think he’s ‘the saviour’ but he is exactly the type of player that we are crying out for in games. 
    Now that's just not true is it?
  • Options
    The question in my mind is whether I should watch our match or the other one.
    I shall start with ours but if it's dull, switch to the other where the teams need to both win.
    The BBC got the wrong game on BBC1 last night, that's for sure. Anyone know the viewing figures?
  • Options
    So pleased that the England squad could visit the Children's home near Wembley yesterday and talk to the Children while wearing masks and from a safe distance.

'It really made feel so very lucky when I saw the fear and Loneliness behind their eyes that I wished I could have given them a cuddle to reassure them things would improve'.   Said Jack, 8 years old.
    This joke is one of my least favourite parts of major tournaments. 

It sums up the nonsense of on the night we qualified for the last 16, there was only negative responses to what was obviously an inhibited performance. I didn't criticize the result but that we made the Scotland team look better than they are and didn't make pro active subs, Grealish, With DCL and Sancho to bring energy and set some problems for Scotland's stubborn defence.

I thought the shocking events of Christian Erikson may see the tournament in a new light where we have passion but don't go over the top. It's not live and death but it's there to be enjoyed and yes, misery for a short while when we/England fall short.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Southgate saying Grealish can’t play where Mount does cos he doesn’t press enough. Fuck off. Always some shitty excuse not to play the bloke. He only got his chance due to public pressure.

I don't think it's debatable that he isn't as good through the middle is it? I mean there is a reason Barkley plays there for Villa. 
    We must remember a different game. Not to say he was bad, he was fine but it didn't make me think he absolutely has to start.
    Also played there against Romania and set up sancho who hit the post, won the penalty and again, ran the show.
    Was hoping you wouldn't mention that one. Agree he did run the show in that game. Fwiw I like him, I'd probably start him tonight, I think Sancho is a bigger threat though and I just don't understand the huge uproar about Grealish so far, I just don't see him as this saviour of English football. For the selections so far Mount in the middle is 100% the starter there, first game we won, played fairly well so no issues with Grealish not playing. Scotland game, came on wasn't really an improvement. So what's the uproar about? 

I get everyone has their favourites and they see it as a personal attack if they aren't selected, as I said I like him, though he's not perfect, he holds the ball too much which is the reason he gets fouled so often which in turn slows everything down and without the ball he doesn't work as hard as others. That said he does have a lot of quality and can make something happen, but equally so can Foden, Sterling, Mount and Sancho. I just don't really see what the anger is about.
    I agree, I wouldn't have Grealish where Mount plays but that's because Gareth will go 433 rather than 4231. With Rice and Phillips in the middle (or even Henderson), that third CM can be an out and out attacking one but Gareth won't do it. 
    He effectively played 4-2-3-1 against Romania and Austria. What was the point?

Youd think it was in preparation to play teams like Croatia and Czech Rep.
    Agreed, we don't need Mount to protect Rice and Phillips against those teams. We need someone to get up and support Kane. Yes Kane drops deep and looks out of form, but he is being isolated and you have to feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

He’s the only player we have that continually drives forward. He takes people on, he draws free kicks and the opposition out of position that creates space that we so desperately crave. 8 England caps and has been MoM in I think 4 of those. Even when we got beat away at Belgium he was the only bright spark on the pitch, they couldn’t handle him and if Kane had his finishing boots on he would of come away with 2 assists. I don’t think he’s ‘the saviour’ but he is exactly the type of player that we are crying out for in games. 
    Okay okay, one of a very select few that looks to continually drive forward. I stand by the rest though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d like to see Gareth really go for it by picking an extra striker and not playing a goalie. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I’d like to see Gareth really go for it by picking an extra striker and not playing a goalie. 
    Like Scotland did? 
    I am not sure playing a goalkeeper in midfield is going to catch on! 😁
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chilwell would've played tonight, just as I would imagine Maguire will. Shaw and Chilwell are similar standard it's just people saw how well Chilwell played in the Champions League final, along with the impressive James so would be most fans choice tonight to lay claim to the LB spot if available. 
    We have a great safety net tonight so no excuse not giving Grealish, Sancho and Henderson at least a half to get them up to speed as we will need players primed for what could be a very difficult last 16 match against France or Portugal or even Germany if they fail to beat Hungary. Assuming we win which isn't guaranteed.

I would play Kane as he needs to fine sharpness which if he scores he may score in a cluster going forward in this tournament. If he is sluggish again he is then benched.

Ps, I said Henderson having minutes but TBF maybe Bellingham who was excellent against Croatia and won tackles all over the pitch.
  • Options

He would rather play Rashford there than Grealish. 
    Rashford at the tail end of the season looked awful
    I’d argue he was awful pretty much all season. 
  • Options
    Tell Kane to play as an actual striker and get in the box!! 

Sancho, Grealish to start. To keep it fresh, I would play Ben White for 45-60 minutes then give Maguire some minutes. Give Stones a rest. 
    Little point Kane playing as an actual striker if nobody puts the ball where he can attack it.
    And that the problem. He drops so deep to get the ball and by the time he gets in the box the ball is back down the other end. He just needs to stay 20 yards out (unless offside). 
  • Options
    Hope Bellingham starts
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we already qualified? If we lose 2-0 and Scotland win 3-0 aren't they qualified? Or if Croatia win 2-0 and we lose?
    In both these cases we'd qualify  but in 3rd place
    If Croatia win by any score, we finish 2nd due to head to head result.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Scotland did that against the Czech's and conceded a goal from 49 yards but it did make the game more entertaining.
  • Options

I wish we had an awful 20 goal a season striker.......

I think Southgate got it right against Croatia, some players played very well, some less so.  I also think he could and probably should have been a bit more adventures against Scotland. 

Saying that this is probably the system he would want to use in the knockouts when keeping a clean sheet is so important, especially when you don't have great center backs.  Do you have enough time to chop and change systems during a tournament? 

Our preparation and pre tournament friendlies were cocked up by the number of players missing due to the European finals. 

I also don't get the level of anger about picking player x and y over player a and b. It's not like he is picking Watson and Pratley and is leaving out Messi and Ronaldo. 
  • Options
    Tonight could be a good indicator into the mindset of the England camp at the moment. Do they play to win and try to build a bit of momentum or are they happy with a draw/loss to avoid the next round draw ?
    I hope with no pressure on we put out a side that is progressive and plays with real intent, after watching the Germans, Dutch, Danes etc grinding out tight results isnt going to do much to put fear into anyone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

21 goals in 57 matches over a truncated season in League, domestic cups and Europe is a lot of matches, tells me he wasn't awful but he looked jaded and his form tailed off in the last month of the season.
  • Options
    I bet we play well tonight and then shite when it really matters,  3-0.
  • Options
    Apparently Grealish, Saka and Maguire all starting tonight
  • Options
    Saka LB would be a good option IF he’s given attacking freedom. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Okay okay, one of a very select few that looks to continually drive forward. I stand by the rest though.
    And I don't necessarily disagree with the rest (I might a bit on the free kick stuff as it's not necessarily a positive) I just think that the others in those positions are better than him. Admittedly not a huge amount but then I also don't see that anyone could say that Grealish is far superior to Foden/Sterling.
  • Options
    @ozaddick Great post.

Big name manager: Gerrard or Lampard. 
    Upcoming manager: Steve Cooper at Swansea. Won under 20 World Cup.
    Established manager: Dyche, Howe or Dean Smith.
  • Options
    I like Saka a lot.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

@ozaddick Great post.

Big name manager: Gerrard or Lampard. 
    Upcoming manager: Steve Cooper at Swansea. Won under 20 World Cup.
    Established manager: Dyche, Howe or Dean Smith.
    I believe Gerrard could be a good fit, but he needs a few more seasons of success, and at other clubs other than Rangers. 
    With Steve Cooper, Id forgotten he achieved that with the U 20's, but again I feel he'd lack that X factor. 
    Dyche is an interesting one, to me he has a great footballing philosophy, and has been successful with a limited squad at his disposal, (compared to other prem clubs). Would be have the respect of the England squad, in not sure. 

It's a difficult one choosing the next manager. 
  • Options
    How have we not scored yet?