Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good result. Won the group, and some promising performances. Areas to improve upon, good to see the youngsters playing well. Looking forward to the next stage.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    We are like the Manchester United of International football.
    I wish we were....... 
  • Options
    Set pieces were absolutely woeful...again
  • Options
    In club football, being able to win when you aren't playing well is seen as a very good thing for your prospects.... just saying.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Prawn sandwich brigade because you criticise a football performance, on a forum designed for football discussion 😂
    Because it's the constant criticism of being boring. Who cares we won, we're unbeaten with 3 clean sheets in the group (which I have to keep reminding the defence was the worry before the tournament). Progressing was all that mattered and we've done that top of the group. Will people moan if we win 1-0 in all the remaining games? I'm quite enjoying, for once, an England team looking well organised and not running round like headless chickens chasing a goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    England 7/10. Czech R 4/10 . ITV coverage 2/10. Scotland 1/10
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I remember when people used to say why can’t we close out 1-0 victories like the Italians would. 
    But we don’t close out games like the Italians. The Czechs had chances and a lot of the ball.   We give the ball away cheaply and invite pressure. We have played very average teams thus far. Against  the real teams 1 goal leads will not be enough. France or Germany will take us to the cleaners if we keep giving them the ball. 
    But 7 points from 3 games, topping the group and the bonus of the Scottish reverting to type, happy days, I’d have taken that before the start. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won on ITV as well!

Please tell me next games on BBC….
  • Options
    We won on ITV as well!

Please tell me next games on BBC….
    ITV didn't mention that hoodoo after the game  :D
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Tricky one in that you can’t on the face of it argue with being group winners, esp without conceding.

However, I’ve spent money watching them for years, was there Fri and will be there next Tuesday and beyond, so I’m entitled to a “but...”

Baring a few very bright sparks where we showed what we can be capable of (and that was very impressive and refreshing - Saka and Grealish in particular) but that aside it was so, so negative and uninspiring. 

We had an opportunity to make a real statement, not by being reckless, but just by continuing to do the good things we had shown at times in the first half, but we just went into a complete shell. Good teams will punish that.

I lost count of the amount of times we passed backwards (often to the keeper), due to either no option, outlet or no confidence to carry with the ball for Christ sake. Maguire tried more as the game progressed. It was painful to watch the lack of ideas at times.

The hope is that we can be better and more expansive, but will we? If we don’t I fear we’ll go out with a wimper.

Lastly, Sterling well done for being in the right place but never has a player frustrated me so much with his touch. Huge potential but the goals are papering over some absolute gash given his undoubted quality.
    ‘More expansive’…. No we won’t. We will approach a game like Germany or France where we defend well and look lethal on the counter, which we are completely capable of. 

Playing at Wembley is very positive. If I was Germany I wouldnt be looking at playing us away and thinking I fancy that.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I don’t think we defended well tonight, it was sloppy and I felt worried whenever they got near our box in the first half. After that they offered nothing. Maybe it was where I was just nervous and desperate for us to win to ensure Wembley in the next game.

Germany have usually beaten us in the head before we even start mate 😉 I hope you’re right.

I do think playing a better, stronger team may benefit us though, which was why I was desperate we win the group. 
  • Options
    Start Henderson over Rice if we can. 

Nothing against Rice, Henderson just looks a lot more confident dictating play. With our 1st 11 around him it could look good.

Maguire looked fantastic and Pickford continues to prove his doubters wrong. Perfect for this team.
  • Options
    Tricky one in that you can’t on the face of it argue with being group winners, esp without conceding.

However, I’ve spent money watching them for years, was there Fri and will be there next Tuesday and beyond, so I’m entitled to a “but...”

Baring a few very bright sparks where we showed what we can be capable of (and that was very impressive and refreshing - Saka and Grealish in particular) but that aside it was so, so negative and uninspiring. 

We had an opportunity to make a real statement, not by being reckless, but just by continuing to do the good things we had shown at times in the first half, but we just went into a complete shell. Good teams will punish that.

I lost count of the amount of times we passed backwards (often to the keeper), due to either no option, outlet or no confidence to carry with the ball for Christ sake. Maguire tried more as the game progressed. It was painful to watch the lack of ideas at times.

The hope is that we can be better and more expansive, but will we? If we don’t I fear we’ll go out with a wimper.

Lastly, Sterling well done for being in the right place but never has a player frustrated me so much with his touch. Huge potential but the goals are papering over some absolute gash given his undoubted quality.
    ‘More expansive’…. No we won’t. We will approach a game like Germany or France where we defend well and look lethal on the counter, which we are completely capable of. 

Playing at Wembley is very positive. If I was Germany I wouldnt be looking at playing us away and thinking I fancy that.
    I would. Germany will be aware that we leave all our best players on the bench when it matters.
  • Options
    Managed the first half, then enticed by Netflix. Congrats to all who watched that shite. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see the BBC are leading with Scotland going out and "going home"

1) last time I looked England has 10 x the population size of Scotland. There are more people inside the M25 than in Scotland. Can you imagine any other country running their main story about another country, especially as the majority watching the news item  support a team that won & actually qualified !!

2) the game was at Hampden Park....in Scotland. They are already "home". They dont have to go anywhere now they are out. They wont be flying home anytime soon.

Grrrrr.

MOTD leading with the Scotland match.

Have I fallen asleep for 10 years & the Scots have not only won an Independence vote but now also rule the UK  ???
  • Options
    That was another 90 minutes of absolute dirge.

Unless we can find a 30-40% improvement we have no chance against a better side and if we go a goal down then we are sunk.

That was a piss easy group and we won it, fair enough, but if people are being really honest we have shown absolutely nothing so far.

After the first ten minutes tonight after we had scored we had precisely one shot on target - and nothing at all in the second half.

The only consolation I can see is that we might be far better sitting back and hitting the better teams on the break as we have pace going forward.

However, if the better teams sit back in numbers then we don't seem to have the quality to break them down.

It's pretty frustrating because in 2018 we seemed to have a system that the players understood and you could see how we were trying to play but now, while we do look solid at the back, we are a shambles going forward, I can't see any shape or structure to our attacking play.

In 2018 you could see the likes of Alli and Lingard breaking from midfield and getting behind Kane but we are not really doing that now and we are struggling to get in behind teams as a result.

Kane doesn't help matters with his indifferent form, he was mediocre again tonight and looks listless and ineffectual.
  • Options
    Great night, we played some lovely football in first half, another match watched down the pub and seeing mates not seen since last February. 

No matter who we play in second round, it’s going to be very difficult for Southgate to justify not starting Saka and Grealish after tonight’s performances. 
  • Options
    I wouldn’t have thought any team wouldn’t be looking forward to playing us at Wembley and having to get a result but we do need to improve our 2nd half tactics if that’s our game plan; attack early hopefully score and defend the game out. 2 goals would make our matches a little more enjoyable and less stressful. 
  • Options
    Charlton Lifers after a one night stand with Scarlett Johanassan....

"Yes, but she wore the wrong earrings hmmph"

thank you imgur it39s 4am and I39m watching my grandmother in hospice care  give her final death rattles and you guys are the only thing getting me  through to the morning -
    Does she at least look like Scarlett Johansson?