Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Kane stats from the group stage. 
    Grim.
    Not the best form . However,  would you prefer he's dropped for Calvert Lewin or Rashford?.
    Surely Kane will start. We don't have great options and he is world class in my opinion. 
    What's the point in being world class when you're playing absolute tripe, though? I'd much rather have someone up there who was contributing. At least the ball would stick to DCL.
    He just needs to get a goal and people will shut up. He hasn't been tripe as you say but yeh not in the greatest form.
    I just don't believe the alternatives are great either 
    He played similarly badly at the last Euros, didn't score any goals and we went out Iceland. 

Don't see why any club or international team should persist with a player who's clearly out of sorts. The ball is not sticking up top for us, he's really offering nothing. Get someone else on. But I know we won't. 
    He was top scorer in the next tournament though. Its tricky with out of form players in a tournament I agree, just don't think we can drop Kane.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Calvert Lewin's at least hungry and fit.
    He is but his record compared to Kane is hard to make a case for. 
  • Options
    Can you make a case for Kane playing when he's offering nothing? Is it really just in the hope he might come good again? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Can you make a case for Kane playing when he's offering nothing? Is it really just in the hope he might come good again? 
    Probably is if I'm honest. I just think he's the best English goal scorer- admitted he's out of form.
  • Options
    It's not a risk worth taking IMO. I heard Peter Crouch the other day talking about how much competition for places drives a player's performance. He said knowing you'd be dropped or taken off would have you busting a gut to contribute. Kane is walking about and not getting dropped, where's the incentive? It's just no way to run a team. 

The brief moments we saw from DCL, suddenly those balls up top are sticking and he's bringing the wingers into play. With Kane we look striker-less at the moment. Nothing sticks, we lose possession and we're on the back foot again. 

It reminds me of the England of old where Lampard Gerrard etc. kept their places whether it was working or not. It's just no way to be a competitive side.

I hope he does come good or we're in trouble in the knockout stages.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's not a risk worth taking IMO. I heard Peter Crouch the other day talking about how much competition for places drives a player's performance. He said knowing you'd be dropped or taken off would have you busting a gut to contribute. Kane is walking about and not getting dropped, where's the incentive? It's just no way to run a team. 

The brief moments we saw from DCL, suddenly those balls up top are sticking and he's bringing the wingers into play. With Kane we look striker-less at the moment. Nothing sticks, we lose possession and we're on the back foot again. 

It reminds me of the England of old where Lampard Gerrard etc. kept their places whether it was working or not. It's just no way to be a competitive side.

I can see that side of the argument. I just don't think the other options are anywhere near Kane. It could be a problem if players started questioning why he's in the team and so and so isn't, but I really don't think many players would want Kane dropped. Pundits yes I can see why they are arguing it.
    I don't think it's the same as it was with Lampard and Gerrard, we had other great options like Scholes but I think managers were being stubborn. I don't think that is the case this time but only my opinion.
    Also didn't the Spain manager come out last week and say Morata is in the team and then 10 others? After some criticism about him playing 
  • Options

Nice to see the Mail keeping up their reputation of racism against young, aspiring, black footballers. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Grim.
    Not the best form . However,  would you prefer he's dropped for Calvert Lewin or Rashford?.
    Surely Kane will start. We don't have great options and he is world class in my opinion. 
    What's the point in being world class when you're playing absolute tripe, though? I'd much rather have someone up there who was contributing. At least the ball would stick to DCL.
    He just needs to get a goal and people will shut up. He hasn't been tripe as you say but yeh not in the greatest form.
    He played similarly badly at the last Euros, didn't score any goals and we went out Iceland. 

Don't see why any club or international team should persist with a player who's clearly out of sorts. The ball is not sticking up top for us, he's really offering nothing. Get someone else on. But I know we won't. 
    He was top scorer in the next tournament though. Its tricky with out of form players in a tournament I agree, just don't think we can drop Kane.
    Without looking it up,wasn’t it 4 out 6 penalties? I’d start him, give him the first half and if he doesn’t produce sub him halftime or quickly in the second half. I like Kane as a player in form but he doesn’t seem to be at the races, it’s like being a man short playing him. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Grim.

Without looking it up,wasn’t it 4 out 6 penalties? I’d start him, give him the first half and if he doesn’t produce sub him halftime or quickly in the second half. I like Kane as a player in form but he doesn’t seem to be at the races, it’s like being a man short playing him. 
    3 out of the 6 were pens
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I can see that side of the argument. I just don't think the other options are anywhere near Kane. It could be a problem if players started questioning why he's in the team and so and so isn't, but I really don't think many players would want Kane dropped. Pundits yes I can see why they are arguing it.
    I don't think it's the same as it was with Lampard and Gerrard, we had other great options like Scholes but I think managers were being stubborn. I don't think that is the case this time but only my opinion.
    Also didn't the Spain manager come out last week and say Morata is in the team and then 10 others? After some criticism about him playing 
    The back up options aren't anywhere Kane's level, when he's on form. DCL is definitely capable of out performing the Kane we have seen so far at this tournament. But would I trust DCL through one on one in a big match? Probably not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The issue is do England keep picking Harry when he is clearly struggling. He looks so leggy and off the pace. Without doubt he is world class but on recent form he is nowhere near that level. I would prefer DCL start as his energy and ability to hold the ball up would in itself allow us to play further up the field
  • Options
    Another consideration is that the opposition would be expecting Kane to play and preparing accordingly. You could really throw them a curve ball by not starting with Kane, but bringing him on fresher if/when you need to. Not the most crazy idea but will never happen.
  • Options
    What if we gave Kane a proper strike partner?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Does fine at Spurs without one.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I agree, but he does have Son in around him wherever he goes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I agree, but he does have Son in around him wherever he goes.
    Always going to happen at International level, much easier for Kane and Son to build up that partnership when you're training/playing together all year.  We don't even know who we should play in attacking midfield, let alone build up a relationship. I'd like to think him and Sterling are capable of linking up well, they've played together a lot now. I think that's why Spain dominated for a while, they had the Real and Barca links all over the pitch. 
  • Options

Nice to see the Mail keeping up their reputation of racism against young, aspiring, black footballers. 
    Admittedly, it's a really long article and I kind of scanned through it, but I thought it was a very complementary article that heaped praise on him & his family.
    What is it that you find racist?
    Not even the title suggests any hint of racism, clearly the article is in timing with him getting a star of the match performance, folllow the trend an all.

Can we not just chuck the word racism around as loosley as that please without any actual backing behind it, dampens what is a genuine issue and is quite frankly bizarre to bring it up when it's not there to be honest..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Grim.

3 out of the 6 were pens
    Yeah. He scored three from open play, all against Tunisia and Panama and one of them deflected off him by accident. So two goals he actually meant. Disappeared completely against Colombia and Croatia, people thought he'd broken his ribs. No goals at the previous Euros. I'm starting to think he may be world class but can he hack it at the big summer tournaments? Scores goals in friendlies and Nation's League, no doubt, but that's a very different proposition.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Grim.

3 out of the 6 were pens
    Yeah. He scored three from open play, all against Tunisia and Panama and one of them deflected off him by accident. So two goals he actually meant. Disappeared completely against Colombia and Croatia, people thought he'd broken his ribs. No goals at the previous Euros. I'm starting to think he may be world class but can he hack it at the big summer tournaments? Scores goals in friendlies and Nation's League, no doubt, but that's a very different proposition.
    Maybe he just doesn’t like playing in summer at all? 
    Remember, he has a reputation for not scoring in the league until September. 😉
  • Options
    wow people really are fickle, admittedly Kane has not had a good tourney. Although he was alot better the last game. 

Who is our one world class player ? I mean he would fit in any side in the world

Granted it hasn't worked out so far, but i couldn't drop him. If he is having a barron spell for eg. 6 months or injured fair point but he is our best striker by miles. Nothing against DCL just i dont think chucking anyone in to replace Kane will have that much of an impact. 

For Spurs, they build around Kane, they dont moan that he isn't in the middle of the box every cross they have people running off him or other people who can be a threat. Its hard to see it changing in the current set up and manager, also it only takes one goal and then he goes on a stupid run. 

Thats my case, i can understand the other views but at this moment of time would i drop him? Hell no, even if we got to the final and he hasn't scored its debatable, we get that one chance who would you want to be on the end of it? 
  • Options
    wow people really are fickle, admittedly Kane has not had a good tourney. Although he was alot better the last game. 

Who is our one world class player ? I mean he would fit in any side in the world

Granted it hasn't worked out so far, but i couldn't drop him. If he is having a barron spell for eg. 6 months or injured fair point but he is our best striker by miles. Nothing against DCL just i dont think chucking anyone in to replace Kane will have that much of an impact. 

For Spurs, they build around Kane, they dont moan that he isn't in the middle of the box every cross they have people running off him or other people who can be a threat. Its hard to see it changing in the current set up and manager, also it only takes one goal and then he goes on a stupid run. 

Thats my case, i can understand the other views but at this moment of time would i drop him? Hell no, even if we got to the final and he hasn't scored its debatable, we get that one chance who would you want to be on the end of it? 
    I don't think fickle is really true. If something, (anything actually), isn't working you have a choice either you stick and hope repeating the process finally comes good or twist. 
    Kane, fine player that he is, isn't producing the goods for whatever reason. I'd like to think he was saving himself for the knockout phase but really he has been a shadow of the real Kane that does it for Spurs.
    He won't be dropped for the Germany game, (I don't think Southgate is that bold), but I hope he either gets a bit of form going in the first 45 minutes or Southgate changes his team around PDQ.
  • Options
    I think he is contributing. If he isn't he can always be subbed.
  • Options
    I'm late to the party .. Grealish had a good game, he's learnt or been taught to cut down on the solo ventures down blind alleys, to press/backtrack and to have a keener eye for a pass .. the defence is better with Maguire and Walker, the attack for having Saka who had a very promising game. It'll be VERY interesting to see the team that is put out v the Old Enemy. The Germans look vulnerable and are there for the taking, but of course, they are never to be underestimated or taken too lightly
  • Options

This is a lazy post that accuses a journalist of being racist in an article that does nothing but heap praise on the player and his family.

I think it's a lovely article and although I don't normally like the Daily Mail it's very nicely written.
  • Options
    If this forum had been around in 1990 I honestly think people would have been callining for Lineker to be dropped for the semi final for Steve Bull. 

I mean he didn't score in 88, had only scored against ROI and a couple of pens against Cameroon.  Steve Bull was young and hungry.... 
  • Options

Admittedly, it's a really long article and I kind of scanned through it, but I thought it was a very complementary article that heaped praise on him & his family.
    What is it that you find racist?
    Headline clickbaiting. 
  • Options

This is a lazy post that accuses a journalist of being racist in an article that does nothing but heap praise on the player and his family.

I think it's a lovely article and although I don't normally like the Daily Mail it's very nicely written.
    The article is nice and positive yes. 

However the editor has made the decision to make the twitter post into this. No mention of family moving with him, 'luxury' pad. Sums of money thrown around. 

The person that wrote the article will be different from the editor that decides on the headline and the tag line for the article. Seems a positive article has been 'Daily Mail'd' to suit their target audience.